• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking glad the SEED movie sequel is actually happening.
But this new MSV series looks kinda dumb. Art style and design is such a contrast from Seed and Destiny. It feels very off.
Also this Eclipse gundam looks like something from a super robot wars series or something. Looks nothing like something that would exist in the Cosmic Era timeline between SEED and Destiny.

Oct 8, 2019
Honestly, the older and more experienced I become in life, the more I enjoy 0083. I don't think it's perfect or the ideal way to tell this story, but I'm okay with Nina having torn up emotions about Gato and Kou. I hated it when I first watched it in the late 90s as a teenager, but I can see it now after my heart has been broken in weird ways, breaking other people's hearts, and having relationships fizzle due to factors outside of one's control.

Kou acts like a fucking child. Gato doesn't. Clearly their ideologies and morals affect the situation, but that final face that Nina gives off when she sees Kou? That's the face of someone settling and being okay with it, but clearly torn by what could have been. As a kid, I assumed I had to relate with Kou cause he's the main character. That definitely stopped me from enjoying it more.

Also random thought: did Afterglow include the ending in Australia that the show concludes with?

So why does Nina love a guy who kills millions of people? He drops a colony into the midwest and annihalates the entire population of Kansas and Missouri along with a few other states. This isnt Jacob vs Edward. Its a story about the Zeon vs the Earth Federation. Tomino wrote Gundam to have a point and not just tell a story about a love triangle between Char Aznable, Amuro Ray, and Layla Su.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
To think we're getting more Seed in the year of our Lord 2021, after more than a decade... the Sunrise team must really hate coming up with new original Gundam shows lol

This suit looks pretty wack - despite the story narratively being between Seed and Destiny, it doesn't look like anything before or after it (I don't think anything in Seed has green beam sabers). Looks more like a Build Fighters custom to me. Tho it does look like a bigass Skygrasper in MA mode (even down to the hard point for Striker packs).

first thing i thought of

Hti8lHh.jpg

O77h7vO.jpg

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
So why does Nina love a guy who kills millions of people? He drops a colony into the midwest and annihalates the entire population of Kansas and Missouri along with a few other states. This isnt Jacob vs Edward. Its a story about the Zeon vs the Earth Federation. Tomino wrote Gundam to have a point and not just tell a story about a love triangle between Char Aznable, Amuro Ray, and Layla Su.
Well, I didn't say she still loved him in the same capacity after the finale of the series. I mean, clearly she changes and moves on in that final scene. But come on, love fucks with you. There's a reason why the idiom, "love is blind" exists. Infatuation and all that jazz fucks with our thinking and emotions. It happens. We're human. Plus, Gato just randomly leaves her when they're on the moon. Have you ever been left like that? In a day? From a person you love? That shit really fucks with you.

And I think Nina makes it clear that she doesn't want Gato to do what he's going to do, but she still cares for him in some capacity; or at least she cares for him enough to want to see him not be shot to death. But ultimately after the scene between the three in the colony, she's going to move on. But damn, imagine seeing one person you loved get shot by a new love.

And it's funny, I don't see 0083 as a love triangle. I see it as a person that moved on from a relationship but still feels for the previous person in a complicated way. Again, he seemingly randomly left her without explanation? Maybe she just wants an answer? Clearly she's developing feelings for Kou throughout the series, even as he's being a huge baby about shit (he's young, I guess). I mean, imagine starting to date a new person that you truly like, but you know that person has some growth left to do. Then bam, your ex fucking rolls around and is ripped and all confident and shit. It'd fuck with you.

But yeah, I do agree that it gets messy with the fact that he clearly has fascist attitudes and is willin' to help drop a colony. Reminds me of Star Wars redemption arcs with Anakin and Kylo. Clearly, these fucks did horrible things and don't truly deserve full forgiveness, but it's also a film that's attempting to tell a tale of good versus evil to kids with a message that anyone can move beyond the mistakes they make. Yeah, it's problematic and simplified.

Anyways, imagine if they had Kou become one of the Titans. That'd be fucking depressing for the romance (Nina likes all the boys that are okay with fascism) but it would be fascinating for the show's message (almost anyone can fall victim to fascism in the right context).

Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, looks like they're doing extension packs for Eclipse Gundam - Striker, Wizard, Silhouette, you name it.

7d6afffb17ee9f538df4702e5889a2e5_vk8dTHgBaNhco2CMe3OpkMr52vC9vZ3a.jpg

And true to all Seed MSV stuff, they're gonna put out a new pack with some unholy amount of shit on it

E2eOn-QUUAESJLO__FhNxgVuTFVHUAdTRtazw9XR17XvbzPB.jpg

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
That is...not the glorious return of Our Lord and Saviour that was prophesied...but we shall embrace it all the same.

Oct 8, 2019
Well, I didn't say she still loved him in the same capacity after the finale of the series. I mean, clearly she changes and moves on in that final scene. But come on, love fucks with you. There's a reason why the idiom, "love is blind" exists. Infatuation and all that jazz fucks with our thinking and emotions. It happens. We're human. Plus, Gato just randomly leaves her when they're on the moon. Have you ever been left like that? In a day? From a person you love? That shit really fucks with you.

And I think Nina makes it clear that she doesn't want Gato to do what he's going to do, but she still cares for him in some capacity; or at least she cares for him enough to want to see him not be shot to death. But ultimately after the scene between the three in the colony, she's going to move on. But damn, imagine seeing one person you loved get shot by a new love.

And it's funny, I don't see 0083 as a love triangle. I see it as a person that moved on from a relationship but still feels for the previous person in a complicated way. Again, he seemingly randomly left her without explanation? Maybe she just wants an answer? Clearly she's developing feelings for Kou throughout the series, even as he's being a huge baby about shit (he's young, I guess). I mean, imagine starting to date a new person that you truly like, but you know that person has some growth left to do. Then bam, your ex fucking rolls around and is ripped and all confident and shit. It'd fuck with you.

But yeah, I do agree that it gets messy with the fact that he clearly has fascist attitudes and is willin' to help drop a colony. Reminds me of Star Wars redemption arcs with Anakin and Kylo. Clearly, these fucks did horrible things and don't truly deserve full forgiveness, but it's also a film that's attempting to tell a tale of good versus evil to kids with a message that anyone can move beyond the mistakes they make. Yeah, it's problematic and simplified.

Anyways, imagine if they had Kou become one of the Titans. That'd be fucking depressing for the romance (Nina likes all the boys that are okay with fascism) but it would be fascinating for the show's message (almost anyone can fall victim to fascism in the right context).

So here's the problem with Gundam 0083, all of that stuff is completely de-emphasized.

At the end of the OVA Nina Purpleton betrays the Earth Federation shoots at Kou to be with Gato and Zeon, Nina is shown leaving with the Zeon, Gato sacrifices himself to allow the Zeon to escape, Kou whines like a baby, and then you get a brief montage of the Titans forming, along with most of the main cast joining them and then apparently Nina defected from the Zeon back to the Earth Federation despite being an accomplice to genocide, and apparently Kou is too big of a loser to join the Titans and for some reason Nina Purpleton was not only not executed but allowed back on an Earth Federation base. The OVA then ends with Nina and Kou making faces at each other.

If the OVA was about Nina having complicated feelings for Gato than that needs to be shown with more than a few goofy faces in the last 30 seconds. If you want me not to hate Nina than have her do something to redeem herself. If the OVA wanted to emphasize that Nina cares about the person Gato used to be, than emphasize that instead of having her leave to be with the Zeon after they already started to drop a colony onto the Earth. It instead just looks like Nina didnt care about the millions who died, and instead went right back to the Earth Federation because her boyfriend died. Nina comes off like an incredibly shallow human being who will join anyone's side as long as she finds someone hot.

Why did Nina leave to go with the Zeon at the end? Why did she go back to the Earth Federation? Who knows because all of that stuff happens at the very end of the OVA

The basic idea of Nina loved Gato. but then Gato broke it up because war started, and then when Nina sees Gato again his become a hardcore Gihren Zabi loyalist, and she has to come to grips with the changes in Gato is an interesting idea but instead it just inserted to create a bunch of drama about Kou Uraki's girlfriend leaving him for another man, and then her coming back because that other man is dead. Nina comes off as incredibly shallow, and Kou Uraki comes off like a complete loser for taking her back.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend 0083: Rebellion to anyone who likes the bones of Stardust Memory but wants a more fully realized narrative. I think it has an english release?

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend 0083: Rebellion to anyone who likes the bones of Stardust Memory but wants a more fully realized narrative. I think it has an english release?

Not officially, just fan translations.

But I second this, Rebellion makes 0083 so much better. And adds in little things from other series (like iirc they meet Sanders from 08th at one point).

Ferret

Oct 25, 2017
So here's the problem with Gundam 0083, all of that stuff is completely de-emphasized.

At the end of the OVA Nina Purpleton betrays the Earth Federation shoots at Kou to be with Gato and Zeon, Nina is shown leaving with the Zeon, Gato sacrifices himself to allow the Zeon to escape, Kou whines like a baby, and then you get a brief montage of the Titans forming, along with most of the main cast joining them and then apparently Nina defected from the Zeon back to the Earth Federation despite being an accomplice to genocide, and apparently Kou is too big of a loser to join the Titans and for some reason Nina Purpleton was not only not executed but allowed back on an Earth Federation base. The OVA then ends with Nina and Kou making faces at each other.

If the OVA was about Nina having complicated feelings for Gato than that needs to be shown with more than a few goofy faces in the last 30 seconds. If you want me not to hate Nina than have her do something to redeem herself. If the OVA wanted to emphasize that Nina cares about the person Gato used to be, than emphasize that instead of having her leave to be with the Zeon after they already started to drop a colony onto the Earth. It instead just looks like Nina didnt care about the millions who died, and instead went right back to the Earth Federation because her boyfriend died. Nina comes off like an incredibly shallow human being who will join anyone's side as long as she finds someone hot.

Why did Nina leave to go with the Zeon at the end? Why did she go back to the Earth Federation? Who knows because all of that stuff happens at the very end of the OVA

The basic idea of Nina loved Gato. but then Gato broke it up because war started, and then when Nina sees Gato again his become a hardcore Gihren Zabi loyalist, and she has to come to grips with the changes in Gato is an interesting idea but instead it just inserted to create a bunch of drama about Kou Uraki's girlfriend leaving him for another man, and then her coming back because that other man is dead. Nina comes off as incredibly shallow, and Kou Uraki comes off like a complete loser for taking her back.
Nina didn't leave to be with Zeon. She shot at Kou and then left the room to keep Kou from finishing Gato while she treated the wound from Kou shooting him, which is in character in terms of her not wanting them to kill each other over the last half of the series. Then Gato knocked her out and had her taken to the Zeon ship to get her somewhat to safety, but she never actually joined the Zeon forces or anything. In-universe that may look bad unless the Zeon forces just let her leave on her own and no one else actually knows was with them for the last bit of the battle, which is something that should have been shown but I just assume she got back in the damage core fighter and the federation picked her up. Kou definitely comes across as a loser though.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, we're gonna be getting a Strike Freedom upgrade in the movie, aren't we?

Like that literally just hit me.

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Watched F91 today. Damn that was amazing, the story felt a little bit rushed but it's a movie so there's not much you can do about that.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was only a movie because Tomino didn't get the series treatment in on the deadline it was due, so the first 13 eps became a movie.

Kind of curious where it could have gone, since Crossbone makes it seem like nothing much happens for a decade after F91.
Granted Tomino's Crossbone drafts are pretty different from what was published. Tobia for example doesn't exist, it's Seabook and Berah's story.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was only a movie because Tomino didn't get the series treatment in on the deadline it was due, so the first 13 eps became a movie.

Kind of curious where it could have gone, since Crossbone makes it seem like nothing much happens for a decade after F91.
Granted Tomino's Crossbone drafts are pretty different from what was published. Tobia for example doesn't exist, it's Seabook and Berah's story.

I really would've like to see the Crossbone Vanguard Civil War that saw them turn from conquerors into space pirates.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
We get new SEED but those cowards at Bandai won't give us new Wing animation.
SEED and 00 performed magnitudes better than W. And none of the Wing MGs sold well, which is why the EW kits other than wing Zero and Deathscythe went to PB. I think the HGs are doing okay? But there being no shenlong is suspect. The Leo did fantastic though.

Also Frozen Teardrop is fucking terrible.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
SEED and 00 performed magnitudes better than W. And none of the Wing MGs sold well, which is why the EW kits other than wing Zero and Deathscythe went to PB. I think the HGs are doing okay? But there being no shenlong is suspect. The Leo did fantastic though.

This is ignoring the popularity Wing had in the West, but also probably lines up with how Bandai views it. I would definitely rather have Wing than SEED.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018

How does G-Reco still getting support despite it being a failure?

Unless Tomino has enough pull to try and salvage stuff?

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
This is ignoring the popularity Wing had in the West, but also probably lines up with how Bandai views it. I would definitely rather have Wing than SEED.

The west is still a fraction of the market. And the west also has a ton of SEED and 00 fans, as well as UC fans.
How does G-Reco still getting support despite it being a failure?

Unless Tomino has enough pull to try and salvage stuff?
That's more or less it. Tomino was allowed to remake G-Reco because he is Tomino. But G-reco still hasn't had great support, it's entire 1/100 line was cancelled and there hasn't been much merchandising of the movies.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've been reading a lot of pent up frustration recently about how W was popular over here and somehow we are owed more for it. I guess with SEED being revisited it opens the door to other series too but I never felt like the ones I watched really needed anything else.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've been reading a lot of pent up frustration recently about how W was popular over here and somehow we are owed more for it. I guess with SEED being revisited it opens the door to other series too but I never felt like the ones I watched really needed anything else.

Making that argument my counter-argument such as it were would be that none of them need anything else, really?

The west is still a fraction of the market. And the west also has a ton of SEED and 00 fans, as well as UC fans.

That's more or less it. Tomino was allowed to remake G-Reco because he is Tomino. But G-reco still hasn't had great support, it's entire 1/100 line was cancelled and there hasn't been much merchandising of the movies.

00 is fine and I wouldn't mind a sequel. SEED I feel in the West has equal haters and lovers. I mean, liking SEED is still considered a hot take.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
00 is fine and I wouldn't mind a sequel. SEED I feel in the West has equal haters and lovers. I mean, liking SEED is still considered a hot take.
I would argue a lot of seed hate cane about because of destiny. For a lot of people in the west the original seed was the show the first Gundam to a lot of people back in the early 2000s anime boom. Being on toonami and all and coming after in order wing g Gundam and the og Gundam it was well received at the time. The hate came later after when people were streaming anime more and seed was tied to destiny. But if destiny didn't exist most of the seed hate wouldn't exist. Like it was very well received for a long time

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
CN aired, Wing, then 0079/0080/0083/08th MS, then G then SEED, but there was a biiiig gap between G and SEED. That era fucked Bandai over in the US for years with distributors and retailers.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
CN aired, Wing, then 0079/0080/0083/08th MS, then G then SEED, but there was a biiiig gap between G and SEED. That era fucked Bandai over in the US for years with distributors and retailers.
My mistake, but yeah there was that big gap. It would have been less of one if sunrise had let CN adapt after war Gundam X into a wing sequel if I recall that was one of the things keeping them from having a Gundam show airing at the time that and zeta, victory, and turn a really not being child friendly. Which is weird because seed is the first Gundam show to have an actual sex scene with the main character(which had to be edited out)

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Just sign me up for more of any of the alt-universe shows. Some are duds, but it's interesting to think about what else can be done with their settings.

And yeah, it's wild that G-Reco is a thing.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The order was:

Wing
MSG (during 9/11, it got canceled due to poor ratings and they finished it off with a marathon)
08th MS (started only hours after MSG did!)
G Gundam
SD Gundam!
SEED

So yeah, TOONAMI aired Gundam from 2000-2005 basically nonstop.

Sci Fi Channel aired 00 on Animondays in 2008. Then Bandai of America went under and the next Gundam show on American tv was IBO on TOONAMI, followed by Unicorn, IBO S2, and then finally Gundam The Origin.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
X would have been the best follow-up to Wing in the US. Has a fair amount of similarities and could have served as an introduction to broader franchise staples like newtypes etc. But Bandai probably would have dismissed it immediately because it was a failure in Japan and they were dead set on pushing ahead with UC in the west.