• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Dazzling debut novels, searing polemics, the history of humanity and trailblazing memoirs.

Here's the top 20, follow the link for the full list.

20 Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (2013)

Atkinson examines family, history and the power of fiction as she tells the story of a woman born in 1910 – and then tells it again, and again, and again. Ursula Todd's multiple lives see her strangled at birth, drowned on a Cornish beach, trapped in an awful marriage and visiting Adolf Hitler at Berchtesgaden. But this dizzying fictional construction is grounded by such emotional intelligence that her heroine's struggles always feel painfully, joyously real.

19 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night‑Time by Mark Haddon (2003)

Fifteen-year-old Christopher John Francis Boone becomes absorbed in the mystery of a dog's demise, meticulously investigating through diagrams, timetables, maps and maths problems. Haddon's fascinating portrayal of an unconventional mind was a crossover hit with both adults and children and was adapted into a very successful stage play.

18 The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein (2007)

In this urgent examination of free-market fundamentalism, Klein argues – with accompanying reportage – that the social breakdowns witnessed during decades of neoliberal economic policies are not accidental, but in fact integral to the functioning of the free market, which relies on disaster and human suffering to function.

17 The Road by Cormac McCarthy (2006)

A father and his young son, "each the other's world entire", trawl across the ruins of post-apocalyptic America in this terrifying but tender story told with biblical conviction. The slide into savagery as civilisation collapses is harrowing material, but McCarthy's metaphysical efforts to imagine a cold dark universe where the light of humanity is winking out are what make the novel such a powerful ecological warning.

16 The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (2001)

The members of one ordinarily unhappy American family struggle to adjust to the shifting axes of their worlds over the final decades of the 20th century. Franzen's move into realism reaped huge literary rewards: exploring both domestic and national conflict, this family saga is clever, funny and outrageously readable.

15 The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert (2014)

The science journalist examines with clarity and memorable detail the current crisis of plant and animal loss caused by human civilisation (over the past half billion years, there have been five mass extinctions on Earth; we are causing another). Kolbert considers both ecosystems – the Great Barrier Reef, the Amazon rainforest – and the lives of some extinct and soon-to-be extinct creatures including the Sumatran rhino and "the most beautiful bird in the world", the black-faced honeycreeper of Maui.

14 Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (2002)

Moving from the underworld dens of Victorian London to the boudoirs of country house gothic, and hingeing on the seduction of an heiress, Waters's third novel is a drippingly atmospheric thriller, a smart study of innocence and experience, and a sensuous lesbian love story – with a plot twist to make the reader gasp.

13 Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich (2001)

In this modern classic of reportage, Ehrenreich chronicled her attempts to live on the minimum wage in three American states. Working first as a waitress, then a cleaner and a nursing home aide, she still struggled to survive, and the stories of her co-workers are shocking. The US economy as she experienced it is full of routine humiliation, with demands as high as the rewards are low. Two decades on, this still reads like urgent news.

12 The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (2004)

What if aviator Charles Lindbergh, who once called Hitler "a great man", had won the US presidency in a landslide victory and signed a treaty with Nazi Germany? Paranoid yet plausible, Roth's alternative-world novel is only more relevant in the age of Trump.

11 My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante (2011), translated by Ann Goldstein (2012)

Powerfully intimate and unashamedly domestic, the first in Ferrante's Neapolitan series established her as a literary sensation. This and the three novels that followed documented the ways misogyny and violence could determine lives, as well as the history of Italy in the late 20th century.

10 Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2006)

When Nigerian author Adichie was growing up, the Biafran war "hovered over everything". Her sweeping, evocative novel, which won the Orange prize, charts the political and personal struggles of those caught up in the conflict and explores the brutal legacy of colonialism in Africa.

9 Cloud Atlas David Mitchell (2004)

The epic that made Mitchell's name is a Russian doll of a book, nesting stories within stories and spanning centuries and genres with aplomb. From a 19th-century seafarer to a tale from beyond the end of civilisation, via 1970s nuclear intrigue and the testimony of a future clone, these dizzying narratives are delicately interlinked, highlighting the echoes and recurrences of the vast human symphony.

8 Autumn by Ali Smith (2016)

Smith began writing her Seasonal Quartet, a still-ongoing experiment in quickfire publishing, against the background of the EU referendum. The resulting "first Brexit novel" isn't just a snapshot of a newly divided Britain, but a dazzling exploration into love and art, time and dreams, life and death, all done with her customary invention and wit.

7 Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates (2015)

Coates's impassioned meditation on what it means to be a black American today made him one of the country's most important intellectuals and writers. Having grown up the son of a former Black Panther on the violent streets of Baltimore, he has a voice that is challenging but also poetic. Between the World and Me takes the form of a letter to his teenage son, and ranges from the daily reality of racial injustice and police violence to the history of slavery and the civil war: white people, he writes, will never remember "the scale of theft that enriched them".

6 The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman (2000)

Children's fiction came of age when the final part of Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy became the first book for younger readers to win the Whitbread book of the year award. Pullman has brought imaginative fire and storytelling bravado to the weightiest of subjects: religion, free will, totalitarian structures and the human drive to learn, rebel and grow. Here Asriel's struggle against the Authority reaches its climax, Lyra and Will journey to the Land of the Dead, and Mary investigates the mysterious elementary particles that lend their name to his current trilogy: The Book of Dust. The Hollywood-fuelled commercial success achieved by JK Rowling may have eluded Pullman so far, but his sophisticated reworking of Paradise Lost helped adult readers throw off any embarrassment at enjoying fiction written for children – and publishing has never looked back.

5 Austerlitz by WG Sebald (2001), translated by Anthea Bell (2001)

Sebald died in a car crash in 2001, but his genre-defying mix of fact and fiction, keen sense of the moral weight of history and interleaving of inner and outer journeys have had a huge influence on the contemporary literary landscape. His final work, the typically allusive life story of one man, charts the Jewish disapora and lost 20th century with heartbreaking power.

4 Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (2005)

From his 1989 Booker winner The Remains of the Day to 2015's The Buried Giant, Nobel laureate Ishiguro writes profound, puzzling allegories about history, nationalism and the individual's place in a world that is always beyond our understanding. His sixth novel, a love triangle set among human clones in an alternative 1990s England, brings exquisite understatement to its exploration of mortality, loss and what it means to be human.

3 Secondhand Time by Svetlana Alexievich (2013), translated by Bela Shayevich (2016)

The Belarusian Nobel laureate recorded thousands of hours of testimony from ordinary people to create this oral history of the Soviet Union and its end. Writers, waiters, doctors, soldiers, former Kremlin apparatchiks, gulag survivors: all are given space to tell their stories, share their anger and betrayal, and voice their worries about the transition to capitalism. An unforgettable book, which is both an act of catharsis and a profound demonstration of empathy.

2 Gilead by Marilynne Robinson (2004)

Robinson's meditative, deeply philosophical novel is told through letters written by elderly preacher John Ames in the 1950s to his young son who, when he finally reaches an adulthood his father won't see, will at least have this posthumous one-sided conversation: "While you read this, I am imperishable, somehow more alive than I have ever been." This is a book about legacy, a record of a pocket of America that will never return, a reminder of the heartbreaking, ephemeral beauty that can be found in everyday life. As Ames concludes, to his son and himself: "There are a thousand thousand reasons to live this life, every one of them sufficient."

1 Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (2009)

Mantel had been publishing for a quarter century before the project that made her a phenomenon, set to be concluded with the third part of the trilogy, The Mirror and the Light, next March. To read her story of the rise of Thomas Cromwell at the Tudor court, detailing the making of a new England and the self-creation of a new kind of man, is to step into the stream of her irresistibly authoritative present tense and find oneself looking out from behind her hero's eyes. The surface details are sensuously, vividly immediate, the language as fresh as new paint; but her exploration of power, fate and fortune is also deeply considered and constantly in dialogue with our own era, as we are shaped and created by the past. In this book we have, as she intended, "a sense of history listening and talking to itself".

Some very excellent picks in the top 20 and the whole list too.

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow I wasn't expecting a Discworld novel in the list. Don't get me wrong I adore Night Watch, just thought it was surprising to see that kind of fantasy comedy there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
My most recent read (The Silence of the Girls) makes the top 100. The Iliad from the perspective of Briseis after been captured, enslaved and given to Achilles.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
On the non fiction side I would add Paris 1919 by Margret Macmillian, Crashed by Adam Tooze and Capitalist Realism by Mark Fisher. This is still a great list thought.

Gozan

Oct 27, 2017
Only 87% English-language books, who said the English literary world was insular and navel-gazing?

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't expecting cloud atlas on the list top books but I'm happy with it, its probably my favorite book

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I've read 3 of the list and that's more than I expected.

I'll try to give some of the others a read.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's more of an experiment in form that a truly great novel, though. It should absolutely not be on a list such as this, cool as it may be.

They give no context to their list, so you cannot authoritatively say whether it's a reasonable inclusion. Or any other item here. They don't really contextualize the list and give it an objective, be it impact, quality, innovation, popularity, or anything else. A random Harry Potter novel is there, The God Delusion is there, Hugo winners are in there, Nobel laureates are in there. A book on physics is there. The list is all over the place, so you can't really say whether a particular inclusion is on-theme or not.

Not a single Harry Potter book. Garbage list

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
by JK Rowling (2000)

Clearly reading isn't your strong suit

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Nice to see Carlo Rovelli on the list. He has some great stuff.

I'd highly recommend:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
read nickel and dimed back in high school when it first came out and it was a sobering and depressing read then... almost 20 years later and nothing has changed. super sad.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've only read The Road from the Top 20 list. Time to add to my winter reading list.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have work to do, I see. Gonna start with Never Let Me Go. Surprised at how few of these I have read.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
This list reminds me that I have 'Sapiens' sitting on my bedside table waiting to be read

No GRRM though seems like a slight. I'd have found a spot for "A Storm of Swords" at least.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good list, but for some reason they failed to include my Twilight/Sonic/Tobey Macguire fan fiction

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought The Road was older for some reason. I guess 2006 is farther away than it feels.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Never Let Me Go so high up. The book and the movie are both devastating. Kinda surprised to see Amber Spyglass there, though, given it was honestly the worst book in the trilogy.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I've completed 8 of these and began/got a third of the way through like 5 more.

Shit I wish there was more time in the day's.
I need a comfortable reading spot

Visit from the goon squad was mad overrated

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I'm pleasantly surprised to see Cloud Atlas in the top 10. It's an amazing novel that I really want to go back and read again.

The Road is one of those novels that was an instant classic and I fear it'll only become even more relevant to our generation as the world goes to shit.

Aside from that, haven't read the other top 20 other than bits of The Shock Doctrine. Will be looking at the list for future reading on top of my already giant pile of unread books.

Edit: shoutout to White teeth at 39, still my favourite of Zadie Smith's novels.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I guess I'm the only one that didn't love Cloud Atlas...it has a couple of great stories, a couple of so-so stories, and a couple of terrible stories, all amounting to, it was alright. Just my two cents.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
If you haven't read them and have any interest in historical fiction, I'd highly recommend Hilary Mantel's Thomas Cromwell series: Wolf Hall, Bring Up the Bodies, and the forthcoming The Mirror and the Light. Definitely the best literary fiction I've read in a long time. and glad to see Wolf Hall recognized on this list.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've read three of the Top 20, I'll look through the rest of the list later. A Curious Incident was uniquely awful to read and I wouldn't recommend it. I get what it was going for, but it doesn't make it enjoyable to read at all.

Never Let Me Go and Remains of the Day are both fantastic. Both are haunting in different ways.

I have The Road in my to-read list along with a good 30 other books, so I'll get to it eventually. I've heard of Austerlitz also and that sounds interesting, might add that in.

Edit: hmm only read five others in the Top 100. So that makes eight. Not a lot else was on my to-read list either.

Last edited:

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
My most recent read (The Silence of the Girls) makes the top 100. The Iliad from the perspective of Briseis after been captured, enslaved and given to Achilles.
Have you read The Song of Achilles? If you have, how does it compare? Song (written from the perspective of Achilles' lover Patroclus) actually made me wonder about the story from Briseis' perspective so I am quite glad such a book exists!