• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
The part about theaters playing the sound too quiet is fuckin laughable. If you audio is so jacked sideways that your solution to not being able to hear dialogue over BLARING ost and effect tracks is to crank that shit to 11? Imma skip your fuckin movie.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I hate probably 95% of every modern movie because of this.
I have a really well calibrated 7.1 home theater. I love movies and spent the money to make sure I had a pretty decent home theater setup and sound is equally as important as visuals for any real "theater" experience.
I spent so many hours fine tuning it and calibrating then had my friend who installs home theaters as his small business come in and do final tweaks, which because I had spent so much time was not that many.
I am CONSTANTLY grabbing the remote to turn it down on action sequences, especially since my wife tends to fall asleep way earlier than me thanks to her wine. And I am scrambling to turn the volume down on action sequences as I have to crank it up for dialogue non action sequences.
It also does not help my hearing is kind of shot from playing in heavier music bands since I am 16 and not using ear plugs most of the time.
The other option is I manually adjust the center channel to be higher, which then fucks up the overall mix for other scenes.
So I am basically forced to put on subtitles for every fucking movie I watch, which is just a shit solution.
could you or anyone else list some movies you've had dialogue issues with? I just setup a new home theater and have watched close to 15 movies but haven't had any dialogue issues yet.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Such a pissoff especially on Netflix where the bitrate for audio is trash anyway adding to the mess.

I don't have a lot of problems with Nolan movies though. Watching in Imax does it help at all since its film? I feel Dunkirk in 70mm Imax I had no issues with audio.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this problem has gotten so bad over the last decade. You just end up with people using dialogue boosting settings and subtitles.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
could you or anyone else list some movies you've had dialogue issues with? I just setup a new home theater and have watched close to 15 movies but haven't had any dialogue issues yet.
Just to clarify before I reply with an example, when I say dialog issues, I mean putting the volume up to what appears to be a normal volume to hear the dialog, but then having to scramble to turn it down whenever any action is on as it is incredibly loud. So it is not so much one cannot hear the dialog itself, you can, it is the fact that movies are so poorly mixed that whenever any action is happening, they become dumb loud.

So to counterbalance the awful mixing, I have to turn everything down as the action is too loud, and then yep, some dialog becomes hard to hear.

So again just to clarify, I would not label this a dialog issue as much as a not properly mixing sound correctly issue and making action scenes way louder than they should be.

So while it is damn near every modern movie released. Most recently though, the Greyhound movie on Apple TV, which was actually broadcast in Atmos for those who have it which I do, suffered from exactly this issue.

Also it tends to be way more of an issue watching just normal TV / streaming services. If I happen to be watching an UHD BluRay, they are a little bit better as it is uncompressed audio. But it still can no doubt be an issue.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
This extends to watching films at home, too.

You'll get family asking you to turn up the volume so they can hear what the characters are saying so you do and then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM as an explosion shatters all the windows in your house.

It's fucking obnoxious and no need for it.
I had this happen with Umbrella Academy recently. Wife and I are watching while kids are asleep, when there is an explosion and i think i just woke up the damn neighbors.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
Nolan's stuff is an outlier in terms of the score and sound effects overwhelming the dialogue. The majority of movies are mixed fine, people just don't use dynamic range compression/midnight mode on their devices.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I had this issue with the LOTR trilogy. Everything sounds fine on my 2ch setup yet doing re-watch of those films had me increasing the volume for dialog and having to lower it when transitioning to another scene with music that was obscenely loud by comparison.

I had assumed the lack of a center channel could be the culprit but apparently it's a problem even on larger systems. It feels like chaos in general, the source you're streaming from, whether your system is decoding it correctly and if it's correct for your speaker setup.

Dialog should absolutely take precedence over everything in the mix unless context calls for it to be obscured (think dialog in the middle of a war scene). Drowning dialog in the films score is fucking asinine.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The projectionist was turning the volume down.
Having worked at a movie theater for half a decade, this was a shitty projectionist. Very very few projectionists are going to be manually adjusting sound on the fly in a move theater even if they ARE sitting and watching it (when would they even have the time? They have to run from projector to projector constantly)

machine

Oct 25, 2017
I've been leaving closed captions turned on for years now because of this problem. I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Nolan's stuff is an outlier in terms of the score and sound effects overwhelming the dialogue. The majority of movies are mixed fine, people just don't use dynamic range compression/midnight mode on their devices.

Yep. And I say this as a (former) mega-fan of Nolan. No other big-shot director in Hollywood has such a persistent record of terrible audio mixes in his films. That's why you don't see tons of people complaining about this shit with other movies. Cause, like, if a single Star Wars or Marvel film had comparable issues, you'd see 30+ page threads about it on this very site.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We watched Avengers 1 on Netflix the other day as a family and it felt like we had to crank the volume up to max if we wanted to hear the dialogue but if we dis that, then the second there's any action, the sound effects were painfully loud.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Just to clarify before I reply with an example, when I say dialog issues, I mean putting the volume up to what appears to be a normal volume to hear the dialog, but then having to scramble to turn it down whenever any action is on as it is incredibly loud. So it is not so much one cannot hear the dialog itself, you can, it is the fact that movies are so poorly mixed that whenever any action is happening, they become dumb loud.

So to counterbalance the awful mixing, I have to turn everything down as the action is too loud, and then yep, some dialog becomes hard to hear.

So again just to clarify, I would not label this a dialog issue as much as a not properly mixing sound correctly issue and making action scenes way louder than they should be.

So while it is damn near every modern movie released. Most recently though, the Greyhound movie on Apple TV, which was actually broadcast in Atmos for those who have it which I do, suffered from exactly this issue.

Also it tends to be way more of an issue watching just normal TV / streaming services. If I happen to be watching an UHD BluRay, they are a little bit better as it is uncompressed audio. But it still can no doubt be an issue.
yea thats basically what i meant. I'm curious if this is just a TV/streaming issue or not. So far all the movies ive watched have been UHD with Dolby Atmos or DTS X mixes. I haven't had those issues where i have to turn it up for dialogue and down for explosions and actions.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that sticks out most to me in recent years is Game of Thrones. It was such a good looking show I didn't want to turn on the subtitles and distract myself, but there were times I had to because I'd find myself rewinding all the time because I couldn't hear a piece of dialogue. Or else I'd turn the volume up to hear something but then the score and especially the sound effects would blow everything out.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
please don't quote nearly entire articles from websites, just use excerpts

original article length: 947 words

you quoted: 751 words, or 79% of the original article

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Relevant:
87_whisper_and_explosion.png

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was just me or my setup. I'm glad to have it confirmed that it's not, but I'm annoyed that it's not something I can fix.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I couldn't hear the last minute of TDK when I saw it in theaters, I was so pissed .... so not surprising this is a Nolan thing.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
huh, I always heard that the lower dialogue audio in movies was due to something with how they dub it for foreign releases.

Netflix has this problem really bad imo. I cant even watch Netflix on my laptop anymore unless I use subtitles. The audio just wont go high enough.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like another case of Dynamic Volume On, +dB on the center speaker.
Wish they would stop this shit.

the less music in movies, and tv and youtube shows the better. I hate how 99% of the time it's just there to tell me how to feel. it's almost as bad as grading london blue, and any 3rd world country yellow/orange. yeah right, but I guess people are to stupid to follow unless locations are literally color coded. I watched kingdom of heaven not long ago and it's like they spilled a bottle of black blue ink on the over all the european sections. Idiots making movies for idiots, this is what we end up with.
This. Same as with TV news. Stop it with the music.

Also remote in the hands is what we are always doing now with wife. Like there is no way around it. Sounds either loud af, or low, but them BOOM!

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
It's total BS and has been for a while now. I watched Extraction at home to try out hdr 4k on a new set but had to be adjusting the volume all the time to avoid pissing off people trying to sleep in a neighboring hemisphere.

It's just obnoxious, and I don't know anyone who likes it.

Yeah I can't stand that shit too, please stop it!

Dec 13, 2017
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's having to use subtitles for pretty much all my media these days because the audio mixing is terrible.
What a joke.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It became a style even, see the Safdie brothers.

I like to understand what people are saying, thank you.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
The issues with a sound mix in the theater is one thing, but I'm not sure judging a mix based solely off of someone's impression of a home viewing is reliable. There are so many factors that can affect the sound and make dialog intelligibility poor. Even with good equipment, if it's poorly set up or in a bad acoustical environment then even a great mix can sound like shit. Hell, even the position where you sit in relation to the speakers can drastically affect dialog intelligibility (bass is even worse). Most commercial cinemas, while having their own problems, are usually a lot more well controlled than the average home setup.

I'm also not sure if that quote about the dynamic range being higher for a home mix than the theater is actually true. I do know that nearly every movie has a different mix for the home release that's better geared toward a typical listening environment at home. Given the difference in both environment and equipment, it seems odd to have more dynamic range in the track.

I hate probably 95% of every modern movie because of this.
I have a really well calibrated 7.1 home theater. I love movies and spent the money to make sure I had a pretty decent home theater setup and sound is equally as important as visuals for any real "theater" experience.
I spent so many hours fine tuning it and calibrating then had my friend who installs home theaters as his small business come in and do final tweaks, which because I had spent so much time was not that many.
I am CONSTANTLY grabbing the remote to turn it down on action sequences, especially since my wife tends to fall asleep way earlier than me thanks to her wine. And I am scrambling to turn the volume down on action sequences as I have to crank it up for dialogue non action sequences.
It also does not help my hearing is kind of shot from playing in heavier music bands since I am 16 and not using ear plugs most of the time.
The other option is I manually adjust the center channel to be higher, which then fucks up the overall mix for other scenes.
So I am basically forced to put on subtitles for every fucking movie I watch, which is just a shit solution.
It could potentially be due to hearing loss. You say your friend did some further tweaking; have you asked him about it? What did he think of the sound? Also, what's the room itself like? Has any acoustic treatment been applied?

BTW, most TVs and AVRs have some way of compressing the dynamic range that allow you to turn up the volume so dialog is easier to hear without being deafened by explosions and other noisy sound effects. The name, adjustability, and efficacy of this setting varies between manufacturers, but it may be helpful in making some soundtracks more tolerable.

this is patently false.

Myself or my friend who is an audio video engineer who was literally designed movie theaters in the houston area, have had to ask the theater to turn the volume down because it physically hurt our ears or our kids ears for the following movies:

John Wick 2
Incredibles 2
Rise of Skywalker
Spider Man Far From Home.

just to name a few and this is at at least 3 different theaters we have had to ask to turn them down. and i like a loud movie, i want to feel the subwoofer shaking shit. But if it hurts ears thats too damn loud.
What theater chain was this? In my experience, AMC has been the absolute worst in terms of the sound. They've always been way louder than every other theater I've been to and I've been to multiple chains in different parts of the US. And that's just for normal movies--it's worse for their IMAX and Dolby Cinema showings!

I remember reading early impressions about Dunkirk being extremely loud before I saw it. During an interview, I remember Kenneth Brannaugh joked how some of the actual surviving veterans of Dunkirk said the movie was louder than the real thing. To my (pleasant) surprise, I found the movie to be fine in terms of volume and wasn't any different to other blockbusters I had seen in normal theaters. Dialog was easy to understand and my ears weren't ringing after walking out. The thing is, while I saw this in a real IMAX theater showing the 15/70mm version, it wasn't an AMC.

Contrast this when I saw the IMAX rerelease of The Dark Knight the following year. Unlike Dunkirk, this movie was way too loud. Although this was 15/70mm as well, it was at an AMC IMAX. Further, I saw TDK at a 15/70mm IMAX back during the original release in 2008 and I didn't remember it being anywhere near that loud. The IMAX I went to in 2008 wasn't owned by AMC at the time though.

To add more data, I saw The Dark Knight Rises in a non-AMC 15/70mm IMAX at release and it also sounded fine as far as volume was concerned. Yet, when I saw Interstellar at an AMC Digital IMAX, it was excruciatingly loud. In fact, all of the movies I've seen in AMC IMAX theaters have been extremely loud, not just the Nolan movies.

At this point, I'm pretty convinced AMC theaters are a major contributor to people finding modern movies way too loud in commercial theaters.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The irony of all this bullshit is that I will surely have a superior experience at home with the 4K and subtitles where I can actually understand what I'm watching.

Kilgore Trout

Oct 25, 2017
This whole audio mixing issue is seriously why I disconnected my surround sound system. It was so annoying to just hear all of the environment noises shaking the house and have dialogue being a whisper. Shame to see directors like Nolan seem to embrace this ridiculousness.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Why i always turn subtitles on for everything that has it. Really annoying.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
This has been mostly a Nolan problem for me. (I generally like things loud, and don't have problems with dialogue in general in my home setup—the only times I do is when I'm trying to watch a movie at a particularly low volume, because my wife is sleeping or something. At those times, I'd be better off plugging in some headphones.) Interstellar was also uncomfortable in this way. I also remember the trailer for Tenet that I saw in IMAX in front of The Rise of Skywalker being so loud that it was physically uncomfortable, and triggered the ambient noise warning on my Apple Watch. Someone I was with actually went and complained to the staff, and they said they couldn't really adjust it and it was running at the mandated volume.

Last edited:

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
Honestly did not know that narrowing the dynamic range of your TV would address the volume disparity between action and dialogue

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Off the top of my head and in keeping with the thread topic, my 4K BluRay copy of Interstellar required volume yo-yoing throughout during my recent rewatch.

The conversation between the crew is painfully quiet compared to the loud explosions and crashing of the spacecrafts.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It all sounds like a lack of standards and also laziness and arrogance on the part of multiple people involved and the studios themselves. I can't imagine for one second that the people involved in making these films ever actually go around a wide range of cinemas actually seeing how the films are played out in the wild. I think they must do that. Take their findings and do better in future. Everyone involved needs to do better.

It shouldn't be so difficult to produce a film that sounds good, is loud enough, and crucially clear enough. If a piece of dialogue is muffled and unclear, it should be by design to be mumbled for a specific reason. I cannot believe that Nolan or anyone else making that films, down to the actors themselves, truly wants the audience desperately struggling to understand 90% of the dialogue in their movie.

This seems like kinda basic stuff.

Edit: Regarding audio levels being too loud for action scenes and then too quiet for dialogue, funnily enough I can see the same thing happening with the picture in years to come with HDR and screens getting brighter. Some directors will want a sunny scene to be as bright as real life, and dark scenes as dark, you'll be sitting at home in the evening straining your eye sight one minute, getting virtually blinded the next. That's gonna be fun.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see this kind of articles.

Not gonna lie, a decade ago, I was all about fidelity, the way it was meant to be seen, artistic vision, etc.
Nowadays? Half the time, I'd rather watch movies at home where I can flatten that dynamic range and boost the center speaker. It's certainly disrespectful to the way movies were sound engineered, because I have zero respect for what a lot of movies do in that regard.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Nolan's mixing is particularly bad, but it's by design that you have to turn up the volume to hear the dialog clearly in films - that's the only way to make the loud parts, well, loud.
  • If dialog is loud and clear at 10/100, then the loudest sound can only ever be "10".
  • If you have to turn up the volume to 50/100 to hear the dialog clearly, now the range can be from 0-50.
The problem is that it's dramatically over-used in a lot of films these days.
It has no impact if anything more than talking is REALLY LOUD all the time. That's just obnoxious.
I will not excuse Nolan's mixing, but another factor in this is that you can comfortably go quite a bit louder with higher quality speakers. With lower quality speakers, playing loud can be uncomfortable to listen to. With higher quality speakers, it's loud, but it doesn't make you wince.

What you need to do is enable dynamic range compression on your playback devices.
DRC turns the quiet parts up an the loud parts down, compressing the range between the two.
A lot of modern games ask whether you want something like TV, Hi-Fi, or "Home Theater" dynamic range. You want "TV" or "Small Speakers".

If you have a surround system, I would not recommend that you turn up the center channel - at least not more than 1–2 dB.
It may help for voices played through that channel, but you'll lose them again when they move to the left or right speakers. It's important to have all your speakers playing at an equal level, as measured from your listening position. You should never adjust their levels without measuring it.
What may help with speech clarity is to bump up the EQ a couple of dB at around 3kHz.

Also, if you have a subwoofer, try disabling that or turning it down. A lot of people do not have subwoofers properly integrated with their speakers.
If you can identify a sound as being played from the sub, then it's not set up right.

I'm also not sure if that quote about the dynamic range being higher for a home mix than the theater is actually true. I do know that nearly every movie has a different mix for the home release that's better geared toward a typical listening environment at home. Given the difference in both environment and equipment, it seems odd to have more dynamic range in the track.
To me, that section read like the writer heard what the problem was (too much dynamic range for your TV speakers) but did not really understand what it meant.
I cannot imagine that the mix being sent to theaters has less dynamic range than the one for home setups.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
My apple tv, bluray player, receiver and television all have a form of dynamic range compression. This isn't a new or high end feature. Its been around for at least as long as DVD's entered the market.
For those who don't like the sudden spikes in volume you should take the time to see if your television or playback device supports DRC or Night Mode. Something you own likely does.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is a problem I used to notice on TVs or prior sound systems that didn't have a dynamic range compression option and it was driving me nuts! I couldn't believe anyone would intend for movies and/or AV equipment to sound like this! Thankfully on my current AV Receiver I have cranked the dynamic range compression to highest it can go and it has never been an issue since. Voices are loud and clear and sound effects/music are not too loud. It's bliss. Play with that if your AV Receiver has that option!

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
If you need a pitch perfect home audio system with proper acoustics to make the audio in film and TV shows loud/"good" enough for your ears to understand... I'm sorry, but that's a bunch of fucking bullshit. You should be able to buy a TV and just fucking hear your shit. All the audio accessories should just be that, an extra thing you can get for your equipment because you're enthusiastic about that stuff. Not so you can just regularly watch a fucking movie.

Not gonna get into the cinema experience because the theater may or may not be adjusting the volume in such a way as to make dialogue too quiet or loud sounds hurt your ear drums. But you shouldn't' have to jump through hoops to get a basic viewing experience at home.

Not to mention this is a "fuck you" to anyone with hearing problems. I'm not talking about being deaf or partially deaf, but just "I don't have perfect hearing."

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If you need a pitch perfect home audio system with proper acoustics to make the audio in film and TV shows loud/"good" enough for your ears to understand... I'm sorry, but that's a bunch of fucking bullshit. You should be able to buy a TV and just fucking hear your shit. All the audio accessories should just be that, an extra thing you can get for your equipment because you're enthusiastic about that stuff. Not so you can just regularly watch a fucking movie.

Not gonna get into the cinema experience because the theater may or may not be adjusting the volume in such a way as to make dialogue too quiet or loud sounds hurt your ear drums. But you shouldn't' have to jump through hoops to get a basic viewing experience at home.

Not to mention this is a "fuck you" to anyone with hearing problems. I'm not talking about being deaf or partially deaf, but just "I don't have perfect hearing."
You need to enable dynamic range compression on your player/TV.
This may be called something like "night mode" or "loudness equalizer".

I would argue that it should be the default for any device, since many people are not going to know about it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

I honestly think that my cheapish sound system is a plus when it comes to movies that have messed up sound.

I've got a Vizio soundbar 5.1 system (bass+2 rear speakers) and since the bass is fairly weak and the speakers are fairly tiny, you don't really get the massive loud moments as much when things do get loud.

I would hate to have gotten a pricey high end set and then be stuck with movies where i can't hear half of it and the other half is making me deaf.