• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild is too high, Twilight Princess is too low. Wind Waker is too high. Minish Cap is way too low.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild is the best.
I have strong nostalgia for The Legend of Zelda I+II. Never owned them myself as a kid, but played them a lot with a friend.

But to be perfectly honest, I played almost every Zelda but never finished a game outside of Breath of the Wild. They tend to get boring for me, like most action-adventure games. I need the RPG elements in my games. Which is probably why I liked Breath of the Wild so much.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
My brain messes me up when people talk about a game being too low/too high when the list itself ranks the lowest numerical number/position as the best and viceversa.

So when people say that Skyward Sword is ranked too low I instantly think they mean that SS is ranked better than it should be but they really mean the contrary....

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably move skyward sword up a bit, but any list with that top 5, is good people.

5. Wind Waker
4. A Link to the Past
3. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
1. Breath of the Wild

ramboma

Jul 18, 2019
really curious what gets a worse rep, SS or Sunshine. both also have extremely vocal fans.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I don't mind the list, although I would rearrange the top five (Link to the Past will always be my number one). Skyward Sword is definitely too low. I despise Fi as much as the next guy and consider Skyward Sword to be the worst 3D Zelda, but I'd still easily rank it above the original Legend of Zelda and the DS games.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Swap Link's Awakening and BotW and I'd accept that list, although original LoZ is barely playable nowadays so I certainly wouldn't put it above FSA or Minish Cap.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Swap places between Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, swap Link's Awakening with Breath of the Wild and swap Oracle of Ages/Seasons with Zelda 2 and that's the absolutely correct lineup.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'd swap Link's Awakening and Twilight Princess, otherwise that's a sound list. I'd also put the DS ones at the bottom only because I hated playing them so much, but that's a personal preference thing

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
DS Zelda's are ranked too high. Four Swords stuff doesn't count at all. Why are they on the list? Might as well list the Dynasty Warriors Zelda games too if you're doing that.

Twilight Princess got the shaft predictably. Not sure when taste died.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Bump ALBW and TP above Wind Waker you cowards.
Why would they put a tech demo and a reactionary kneejerk response over a real Zelda game?

Four Swords stuff doesn't count at all. Why are they on the list? Might as well list the Dynasty Warriors Zelda games too if you're doing that.
They're less of a spinoff than Zelda II.

they also fundamentally play like zelda games, unlike SS which is closer to Link's Crossbow Training, or Wii Sports.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Great list. I'd take A Link between Worlds over Wind Waker these days, though. Such a great sequel to A Link to the Past. I love the character they put into that branch of the series with that game. Ravio and Hilda are among my favorite Zelda characters.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
My opinion is very different. I do have OoT, and BOTW in the top three.

ps: I wouldn't put a single Gameboy/DS tittle ahead of Skyward. And the original Zelda game isn't very good imo. Certainly not better than SS.

Edit I just remember Minish Cap being awesome. That's the only one I'd consider.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Link's Awakening is lower than I'd put, but otherwise, solid list. I really like A Link Between Worlds and would actually put it higher than that.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I found the only thing LA to excel at over them was the story, and maybe the music. Virtually everything else (dungeons, puzzles, overworld design, combat, items obtained, etc.) were handled much better in the Oracle games.

I do appreciate LA starting the trend of every dungeon having its own unique music, though. I think that's its biggest contribution to the franchise.

Anyways, I really hope the Oracle games get a remake like LA did.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good list based on how I feel about the games, only thing I'd change is move minish cap a little further up. But otherwise, it's a good list.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I found the only thing LA to excel at over them was the story, and maybe the music. Virtually everything else (dungeons, puzzles, overworld design, combat, items obtained, etc.) were handled much better in the Oracle games.

I do appreciate LA starting the trend of every dungeon having its own unique music, though. I think that's its biggest contribution to the franchise.

Anyways, I really hope the Oracle games get a remake like LA did.

They're certainly in a good enough tier to warrant a full-on remake. Packaged together as one purchase though.

That has to be the worst attempt at a comeback I've seen in a long time. Just like Wind Waker trying to bring the GameCube back from irrelevancy.
I'll just have to settle for it being placed above ALBW and Hot Topic Princess on the Guardian's list

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
ALBW was fantastic so I'm glad it's up there.
I was thinking about Skyward Sword and while I wasn't a huge fan, it was definitely a traditional "zelda" game, and then realizing BOTW came after SS made me realize just how fucking massive a jump BOTW really was. It really elevated zelda to an entire new level. I really hope BOTW2 takes most of the common feedback (certain progression elements, more focused storytelling, and real dungeons) and just absolutely crushes it. Outside of maybe the 2D style zeldas (which have been fantastic and have a better open world feel than most of the 3d ones) I have a hard time wanting an older style zelda ever again. So stoked for BOTW2.

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild wouldn't even make my top 10 if I had played them all honestly

1. Wind Waker
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Majora's Mask
4. Minish Cap
5. Twilight Princess
6. Link to the Past
7. Link's Awakening
8. Phantom Hourglass
9. The Legend of Zelda
10. Breath of the Wild
11. Four Swords
12. Zelda 2