• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
there's some i would put towards the bottom and some i put towards the top but the middle part you can arrange in any way and i could agree with it.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
To be fair to some of the bizarre choices in that list, if you were to make the simple change of swapping Earthsea and Porco Rosso then the end result wouldn't be too terrible.

Though I would also swap Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, and Nausicaa and Grave of the Fireflies.

And then I'd take Grave of the Fireflies off the list entirely because it feels weird to rank it at all. It was a fantastic movie but I never want to watch it again.

Oct 31, 2017
That person has clearly watched not watched Porco Rosso or Earthsea. Earthsea is probably the only objectively bad Ghibli film, and Porco Rosso is not only fantastic, but is also not the way the reviewer decribes it.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya needs to be way higher, that movie is magic. I borrowed it from the library and then immediately purchased the blu-ray.

Grave of the Fireflies should be higher too!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My Top 3:
1. Kiki's Delivery Service
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Only Yesterday

Wasn't a fan of Howl's & Spirited Away.
Grave of the Fireflies is excellent but hard to watch.
Nausicaa feels like a protoype Mononoke. The manga's better anyway.
Laputa, Totoro, Ponyo, and Ariety are all great.
As a big Earthsea book fan, I've heard the movie is terribly so I haven't watched it.
The rest I don't remember much of or haven't seen.

I also feel like ranking Ghibli films is pointless because they frequently target completely different demographics.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I've seen:

Mononoke > Spirited Away = Totoro > Castle in the Sky > Grave of the Fireflies > Kiki > Nausicaa > Porco Rosso > Arietty > Howl's Moving Castle > Ponyo

Ghibli is one of the few media companies I love enough to get into list wars about lol

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Pleasant is the perfect word for it. That movie and Totoro are just little bundles of joy.

It's a shame the blu-ray mixing on the Kiki dub is so terrible - the lead actress sounds like her voice is clipping.
Yeah definitely noticed the sound issues but the movie is so lovely ignored it. Perfect movie to watch if you're feeling down or just something to watch on a rainy day.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Porco Rosso at the bottom lmao..

Only yesterday at 20?

EARTHSEA IN TOP 10?

WHY is this list.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something like this, imo.

IdPO20N.png

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Earthsea, The Cat Returns, Ponyo and Howl are way too high. Yamadas, Princess Kaguya and Nausicaa are way too low.

My top five would be 1. Totoro, 2. Spirited Away, 3. Princess Kaguya, 4. Grave of the Fireflies, 5. Nausicaa

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I feel like it's nuts that Spirited Away isn't number one, or even in the top 3. My Neighbor Totoro is their icon as well and feels better to me than the films above it

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Ranking them is way too hard beyond a top 5 because they are all fantastic.

EXCEPT EARTHSEA. What the hell is wrong with this list?

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Porco Rosso in last place and Howl's Moving Castle at number 2 is probably the most laughable thing I've seen in the last couple days.

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Porco Rosso at the bottom is some bullshit. Hell, this whole list is trash. It's too early in the day to get angry over a stupid list about some amazing movies. Except Ponyo. That movie should be last on every Ghibli ranking.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Number one is correct. My all time favorite animated film. Love it so much.

tumblr_p77accifxL1vfg7u3o3_500.gifv

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
From what I've seen:

Mononoke > Spirited Away = Totoro > Castle in the Sky > Grave of the Fireflies > Kiki > Nausicaa > Porco Rosso > Arietty > Howl's Moving Castle > Ponyo

Ghibli is one of the few media companies I love enough to get into list wars about lol

I think it's not as harsh as other list wars because all the movies are so good. I'm not gonna begrudge someone who likes Mononoke over Spirited Away or vice versa because they are both great. If this was a Star Wars list war and someone put a prequel about an OT movie, my skin would crawl... lol

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Porco Rosso is fantastic. I think it belongs in the top 5. Poppy Hill is pretty underrated here too.

Personally, Ponyo is my pick for worst Ghibli movie, although Arrietty was also pretty bad.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I ignored this list as soon as I saw porco rosso at 22. its such a great ghibli movie, it should be in the top 10 ATLEAST!, and nausicaa atleast competing for first place. I actually vastly prefer it over mononoke.

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017
I know the best is Princess Mononoke, but my favorite is Castle in the Sky. Happy that they made the top 5. That said, this list is highly questionable.