• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Switch as #1 handheld system? There's not an "absolutely disgusting" dot gif in the world to convey the magnitude of how wrong that is.

I've been primarily a handheld gamer for decades and I don't consider Switch a handheld. It's just a console you can hold. The games aren't designed differently from console games (a hallmark of handhelds), it's not especially portable (it's the only "handheld" I've never taken with me when I go out), it's fragile as shit, ugh this opinion actually found a way to be factually wrong lol

I'm convinced that the only way to think Switch is the best handheld ever is to be someone who didn't actually like handhelds and enjoys now having a portable PS360 port machine for when the television is in use.

Last edited:

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Imo a modded Sega Nomad (new screen, better attached battery with 6 hr life, region-free) is the greatest portable ever made with the PSP and GBA (backlit) competing for 2nd and 3rd place. The Genesis library is just extremely difficult to beat for me personally.

Neo Geo Pocket Color has a strong place in my heart as well, almost every game on that thing was excellent. The SNK downports, the card games, Ogre Battle game, Sonic game, puzzle games, etc... were all insanely fun.

My main takeaway is non-Nintendo handhelds are chronically underrated due to Nintendo's market dominance.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
DS Lite is the best handheld console period.
Vita above PSP is a joke. PSP was pretty close to challenge Nintendo until DS Lite came out and the rest is history.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Switch is great, but it is in no way the greatest. It may end up that way, but those other handhelds' libraries are insane.

I still love my Vita and it's my most played console (portable or otherwise) of the past ten years, but Switch has a more insane library than any other portable, ever. Like, of the five games I'm currently playing on non-Switch platforms (namely Hades, Spelunky 2, Hardcore Mecha, Dragon Ball FighterZ and Genshin Impact), four of them are already on Switch, and the remaining one is releasing on Switch soon.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
What's that? Is someone in here talking smack on the GBA, the only platform that allows you to play Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis?

No???

Good

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch as #1 handheld system? There's not an "absolutely disgusting" dot gif in the world to convey the magnitude of how wrong that is.

I've been primarily a handheld gamer for decades and I don't consider Switch a handheld. It's just a console you can hold. The games are designed differently (a hallmark of handhelds), it's not especially portable (it's the only "handheld" I've never taken with me when I go out), it's fragile as shit, ugh this opinion last found a way to be factually wrong lol

I'm convinced that the only way to think Switch is the best handheld ever is to be someone who didn't actually like handhelds and enjoys now having a portable PS360 port machine for when the television is in use.
I'd personally put the 3DS or the DS over the Switch but I think the Switch lite feels plenty solid. The sticks still self destruct but that's a common thing with handhelds. like my GBA SP and it's ticking time bomb shoulder buttons or my DS lite and it's cracked hinge.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
How is nomad even on that list? I bought it cheap as it was discontinued and it sucked. Too big to be a handheld (I mean thick and heavy,I can handle switch cause it still fits in my hands fine) and used a fuckton of batteries and went through them. I think I used it once, like to turn it on abd then it gathered dust. What pisses me off is I had a game gear as well abd the game gear I lost (and I liked that one) and I still have that nomad. I wish it was vice versa.

otherwise I don't have a problem with that list (my two fac Handhelds were switch and vita and I think vita's placement is fine).

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
List is trash.
Ds, psp, 3ds, vita should be top 4, don't care about the order.
Gb/gbc should be one entry and a solid 5 place
Switch should be lumped together with gba and ngpc at the low top ten

I've been primarily a handheld gamer for decades and I don't consider Switch a handheld. It's just a console you can hold. The games aren't designed differently from console games (a hallmark of handhelds), it's not especially portable (it's the only "handheld" I've never taken with me when I go out), it's fragile as shit, ugh this opinion actually found a way to be factually wrong lol

Agreed, switch it's just powerful but is a terrible handheld. It's so heavy. It's also insane to see the toilet argument when the psp/vita was slammed with "no one wants console gaming on the go". Except those games were designed for handheld and those were good portable machines too.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'd personally put the 3DS or the DS over the Switch but I think the Switch lite feels plenty solid. The sticks still self destruct but that's a common thing with handhelds. like my GBA SP and it's ticking time bomb shoulder buttons or my DS lite and it's cracked hinge.
I went through my fair share of GBAs and 3/DSs (usually dropping them or bumping in to something when it was in my pocket, etc).

But the Switch breaks just from playing it, it's absurd. I don't even play Smash Bros, one of my favorite games, anymore because it melts Joy Con sticks and I'm too poor to keep replacing them.

My kids have Lites and they are much more durable. I've thought about replacing my OG for a Lite bit6we have games that can't be played or played multi-player on a Lite.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
My top 8 (native libraries only, no BC);
  1. Nintendo DS & DSi
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Nintendo 3DS & new 3DS
  4. PlayStation Portable
  5. Game Boy Advance
  6. Game Boy & Color
  7. NeoGeo Pocket & Color
  8. Game Gear

Last edited:

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Gameboy Advance SP was a game changer for me. The backlit screen and clamshell design took portable gaming to the next level.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Basically a list of Nintendo handhelds and then the rest of the trash.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't disagree with the list. Switch has really been that good over the past 4 years, especially if you consider the Switch lite when thinking about pure handhelds.

As much as I like my Switch, it feels way too premature to give it the #1 spot in this list.

Gotta disagree. If the Switch died tomorrow and never had another game released on it, I still think it deserves it's spot. Mario Odyssey, Zelda, The Zeno blades, actually impressive portable third party ports like Doom, The Witcher 3, Skyrim, ect. Not to mention rereleases of classic games from previous gens, like the resident evil series, FF HD collections, the Bioshock collection, ect. I don't think any handheld comes close. Not to say anything about the Switch's excellent indie support.

Oct 26, 2017
TBH, I was expecting the DS or GBA to clean up. I certainly wasn't expecting the Switch. Although the quality of library is getting up there and eventually, it might even be top 5. But right now, it's too early.

???

Why does the way the games are developed matter? That's you making an arbitrary distinction for absolutely no reason. Look at "traditional handhelds" and you will see the commonalities are quite consistent. RPGs for example are BARELY any different between console and handheld versions. Same goes for platformers, and other genres. The idea of a "handheld-specific game" being a hallmark is an absolute myth, especially when you see the myriad of console-level remakes that handhelds have gotten.

This is such an immensely silly take. It's one thing to say if you don't prefer the Switch library, it's another to make a silly take about the library of games based on myths.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Also the Switch's indie titles alone, completely divorced from what Nintendo and major third parties put on it, would probably win it this competition for me

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
I'm not quite sure what the creator of this lists criteria was but I think impact on the industry should be taken into account and based on that I would say the top 4 needs to be Gameboy, DS, PSP & Switch (in no particular order).

Gameboy, the first major success in the handheld market, no Gameboy potentially means no handheld market as we know it.

DS, made handheld gaming for everybody, easy to digest pick up and play games with touch controls paved the way for todays mobile gaming market.

PSP, being able to play games, listen to music, watch movies and browse the internet on a single portable device was a huge deal in the pre-smartphone era.

Switch, the hybrid design that finally nails the console experience on the go concept and blends together the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Not even close. I love my Switch and will vouch for it in any fight but as far as being a good handheld system it's in C tier with Game Gear and the Lynx. A handheld system needs to be portable, if I need to carry a dedicated bag/backpack so I can have it on me while on the go, it has completely failed to be a good handheld system, imo.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. This hit DS hard too, maybe even harder.
Yeah, both are a goldmine of unlocalised games. Same thing happened to the PS1 and PS2 too.
RPGs for example are BARELY any different between console and handheld versions. Same goes for platformers, and other genres. The idea of a "handheld-specific game" being a hallmark is an absolute myth, especially when you see the myriad of console-level remakes that handhelds have gotten.
Huh? Handheld RPGs were closer in spirit to the SNES/PS1 days. Like, I'm struggling to put into words how much I disagree with this. Just because there were some cross-platform releases doesn't mean the majority weren't completely different.

Last edited:

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lol this is such a hot take. I kind of feel exactly the same as you but just like the total opposite of every single thing you just said.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I like the Switch, but honestly it sucks as a handheld system. Lousy battery life, bulky design, subpar build quality. It also has none of the features of the 3DS that had portability in mind, such as StreetPass and Play Coins etc. It's very much a home console first that just happens to be portable.

The Switch Lite is better in this regard, but still just "okay" compared to the 3DS as a portable.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Vita over PSP is the most questionable choice here.
#1 for Switch or DS - depending on preferences I can see why one would put one over the other. It's a close call by now.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I go back and forth between the PSP and DS as my favorite handheld, that was a really great generation if you were into portables.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
People say the Switch is too big to be a portable in that you need to carry it in a bag, that also applies to the PSP and 3DXL. None of those systems can properly fit into a pocket and I usually stick them in my handbag, but they are just a portable as an IPad or any other tablet.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well yes, Switch is bigger but compensate with its functionality, game library and power. Animal Crossing and Breath of the Wild have already pushed it above all other portables easily.

But 3DS and DS is a close fight for runner up imo. DS has vast amount of quirky innovative games and 3DS has more quality titles.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I like the Switch, but honestly it sucks as a handheld system. Lousy battery life, bulky design, subpar build quality. It also has none of the features of the 3DS that had portability in mind, such as StreetPass and Play Coins etc. It's very much a home console first that just happens to be portable.

The Switch Lite is better in this regard, but still just "okay" compared to the 3DS as a portable.

The latest iteration of the Switch (Mariko) has an excellent battery.

Oct 26, 2017
Huh? Handheld RPGs were closer in spirit to the SNES/PS1 days. Like, I'm struggling to put into words how much I disagree with this. Just because there were some cross-platform releases doesn't mean the majority weren't completely different.

I'm not talking about cross-releases, I'm talking about the actual design of the game. People like the post I responded to, act like there is such a sharp delineation between "console" (grandiose gaming experience) and "handheld" games (somehow strictly seen as "bite-sized" games that you only play on the go) when the reality is that this delineation has been blurred for a very long time. If this delineation was so sharp, you would never see "console" level games like Dragon Quest VIII, Valkyrie Profile, Luigi's Mansion, Muramasa, etc. getting remakes/port jobs in handhelds. The fact that you even recognize some handheld RPGs being similar in design to SNES/PS1 days proves that people need to stop with this "handheld-only" nonsense.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Lite's only a little larger than a Vita.

It's really, really close, but the Vita will *just barely* fit in my jacket pockets, and into one of my pants pockets on a good day. The Switch Lite will not; it's just too big. I must say, with regard to portability, I am much happier with the form factor of the Switch Lite than the original one, though, and I'm glad that they chose to make it.

I like the Switch, but honestly it sucks as a handheld system. Lousy battery life, bulky design, subpar build quality. It also has none of the features of the 3DS that had portability in mind, such as StreetPass and Play Coins etc.

Yeah, looks like I'm not the only one who feels this way.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Vita over PSP is the most questionable choice here.
Vita over PSP? I don't know about that chief.
Imagine ranking the Vita above the PSP, it's library is just not good.
Vita over PSP is one hell of a take.

What the heck? Really? I guess I missed these posts before...

Vita is objectively superior to PSP. It has better controls, more features, longer battery life, a better screen, AND a huge library of great Japanese & indie games PLUS is backwards compatible with a huge catalog of PSP and PS1 games. I loved my PSP too, but once the Vita was in my hands, there was--and is--zero reason to go back.

I'm actually currently playing the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre on my Vita and it's great. Danganronpa 2 is next in the queue. After that, maybe Disgaea 4.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Switch deserves the number one. I already have more Switch games than any other system, and that's saying something.

I disagree with the notion that GBC is separate from GB, but other than that, great list.

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what criteria they are using here. It seems like legacy is taking precedence over library and technical specs but then vita is above psp and if they were being consistent shouldn't more value be put into backwards compatibility?

Oct 26, 2017
Vita is objectively superior to PSP.

I can't take posts like these seriously when the reality is that the PSP and its library sold more than the Vita did. If you like the PS Vita, then all the power to you, but you cannot just slap on "objectively" when reality does not match with your claim. Furthermore, I own a Vita, but you have to be a particular person to be into the games that it has to offer. Not everyone is into RPGs, VNs or Japanese games. In contrast to the Vita, PSP's library is pretty damn good, you had your share of action games, platformers, RPGs (easily one of the strongest suits with lots of variety whether it's PS1 ports or unique RPGs like Jeanne D'Arc). The Vita lacks that variety.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the way the games are developed matter? That's you making an arbitrary distinction for absolutely no reason. Look at "traditional handhelds" and you will see the commonalities are quite consistent. RPGs for example are BARELY any different between console and handheld versions. Same goes for platformers, and other genres. The idea of a "handheld-specific game" being a hallmark is an absolute myth, especially when you see the myriad of console-level remakes that handhelds have gotten.

I don't think it's that crazy. Handhelds used to be significantly less powerful than home consoles, and that means, the games released on them were generally lower budget, smaller scale affairs. If you prefer those kinds of experiences compared to the higher budget, higher power home console releases, you're not going to get it really from the Switch. Indie games for a lot of people just don't fill that gap, because the developers of handheld titles were completely different types of people in the past.

I was just thinking earlier there's no point in a dedicated handheld anymore because at this point the games would essentially be the same as any other console.