• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
As someone who own all the major handhelds since the early 90s. I agree with #1 as a gaming device its the best yet.

Oct 26, 2017
Game Boy Color (1998)
With a 256×256 pixel TFT display..

Pretty strange mistake to make there, it's 160x144 like its daddy.
Somehow got confused with the bg map size maybe.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get it. Vita > PSP makes me think that they must be including backwards compatability, but then why is DS > 3DS?

edit:

While there was plenty for hardcore fans (Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass, Phoenix Wright, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Elite Beat Agents)
ummmmm..........

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Switch reached DS's greatness just yet but it's on a good path.
I also think GBA was better than 3DS, but that's down to my games preference.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Gameboy above Vita and PSP is...generous to say the least. Rest of the list is fine.

Generous? Absolutely not.

Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land
Wario Land 2
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Tetris
Metroid II
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 1-3
Harvest Moon
Castlevania II
Final Fantasy Adventure
Final Fantasy Legend 1-3
Game & Watch Gallery
Donkey Kong 94
Mega Man 5

I'd personally put it pretty close with PSP but Vita's lineup doesn't touch either.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm still confused to this day. Are the sentiments about the Vita being the best handheld a meme or not?

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Vita shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list. As much as I think the hardware itself is amazing, literally every other aspect of it is bad.

I'd actually put Vita at 20. On an original Vita, you couldn't even play a game without first buying a stupidly expensive memory card. At least the Gizmondo made for some amazing content on Gamespot's The Hotspot podcast.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I would actually rank the 3DS down a tad below GBA and DS.

Felt like it's marketing about the 3D fell kinda flat and I don't feel like it got quite the unique library that GBA and DS had. Hardware wise it was a bit sad.

Just for the fact that Vita has a ton of classic and well emulated(I think?) PS1 games should keep it in the top half of the list imo. 3DS coulda been something similar with N64 games but the controls on the thing were garbage.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Switch already has an insane library with hundreds of fantastic games.
Yeah the indie boom combined with the Switch being *the* console for indies has really helped it's library. Just looking at indies there's probably at least 2-4/month of games I'd play. With non-first party games from larger publishers on all consoles there's maybe one every two months, if that?

Most indies come to all platforms eventually, so the indie boon has helped all modern consoles, but it's very rare I feel like sitting down and playing a 2D indie game on my monitor or TV.

I'm not sure where I'd put the PSP personally on that list, though I think it's neck and neck with the original Game Boy, but it for damn sure would be above the Vita all the same. It feels really weird to mention that PSP BC is a plus on the Vita when it has a limited range to pull from in that regard, versus the nearly perfect BC 3DS has with the DS.

But yeah, it's pretty easy to put Switch at 1 now when it already has the trajectory to justify the premature proclamation. That being said, the DS was an absolute monster and deserves proper enshrinement.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Switch above the DS is nonsense.

I personally think that DS is slightly above Switch at the moment but only slightly.

I mean, "nonsense?"

Saying a portable with Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, New Horizons, Smash Ultimate, MK8 Deluxe, Mario Maker 3, Luigi's Mansion 3, Hades, Splatoon 2, Tetris 99, LA remake, Three Houess, Mario + Rabbids, Arms, Yoshi's Crafted World and Ring Fit, Xenoblade 2, Octopath Traveler and Origami King -- let alone ports of games like Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade, 3D World -- being above DS is "nonsense" is just silly.

Switch already has one of the unarguable greatest game lineups of all time.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch wins the hardware game easy.

Best library is probably a toss up between DS and PSP with Switch still in the running.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still confused to this day. Are the sentiments about the Vita being the best handheld a meme or not?

It's an amazing piece of hardware with Sony's best d-pad and one of the best d-pad's in all of gaming period. It has a relatively small amount of games but there's a ton of good stuff. It just lacked longterm support and Sony never cared about it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

It is a fantastic piece of hardware that gained a niche hardcore following who are very passionate about it

But the software lineup was very much lacking based on the metrics that most people care about (exclusives + first party support). Sony basically abandoned their own console immediately after releasing it. It was incredible to watch.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is good, but i still think DS was the pinnacle of portable gaming. The amount of good original game was insane. I had like the Snes/Ps1/Ps2 era feeling for RPG .

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of the library, it's the DS or the PSP. Switch isn't even in the top 5 for me.

Last edited:

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
I am now realizing just how many people threw their hat into the handheld ring in the late 90's and early 2000's. Thats a lot! Too bad at least one of those didn't take off. It would have been cool to see a world where we had more handheld competition.

No real issue, just some quirks:
On what basis is the GB above vita/psp, while being under advance?
If its for influence/legacy, it should be up there above 3DS, and maybe even DS (and swithc is only up there because its current and great, but thats okay).
If its for the games... besides of pokemon and links awakening didnt vita and psp have way more to offer? heck, psp could play ps1 games.

It looks like they split the Gameboy and Gameboy Color. Maybe that's why it is in kinda of a weird spot?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
OG Game Boy should be #1, period. It was an absolute achievement in terms of battery life, sales, and developer support, in ways that no portable game-dedicated platform has ever seen since.

And iPhone 3GS should be on the list—and in the top five. (I'd say it's #2, right beneath the OG Game Boy.)

This fucking list.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Agreed with Switch being number 1. However, I'd rank the 3DS above the DS. While I appreciate the DS' much stronger selection of Pokémon games, I prefer the 3DS library overall.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 is correct. Would have ranked Vita lower, though. Definitely below PSP.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah Switch is definitely #1 in that area. I probably have more of a backlog for it than I ever did for the DS.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at just the library and the Switch beats all the others, combined. There is just such a big difference in quality between handheld games and console games.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Would switch PSP and Vita, but otherwise it's a fine list. Really not a lot you can do here. The positions in the top 5 can change around, but the actual consoles are pretty much on lock unless you are a crazy person.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I can't agree with GBA being below the 3DS. GBA (SP) was a phenomenal piece of hardware with an awesome library.

The 3DS has a good library but the screen resolution is just awful and it was the first piece of Nintendo hardware that didn't have the amazing build quality I'd come to expect.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
the indie library and first party offering kinda makes me agree with the first position, I don't think I've ever bought as many games on a device (besides PC) as I did on Switch

Feb 19, 2018
PSP should be higher.
It holds up incredibly well even today (excluding the E1004 model for obvious reasons):
VERY lightweight and good form factor (easily fitting into pockets or bags), great library, great battery life, backlight (cough, GBA), headphone jack (cough, GBA SP - it cannot be stressed how shitty the lack of one was if you wanted to play anywhere outside of home) and good WIFI on later models. An actual analog stick. SD card support for cheaply and readily available double or triple GB digit storage capacity for saves and... various other things. Heck, it has a CONSIDERABLY higher screen resolution than the 3DS does, despite being 7 years older, and it shows.

It even works great as a music player, which was MASSIVE for me in a time where the only devices which offered the same level of readily available portable music support were MP3 players and Ipods. Simply dump your MP3s on your SD Card and go. Good luck trying that on Nintendo handhelds.

I absolutely love my PSP 3004 and still regularly pull it out, especially when my hands get tired from the size and weight of my N3DS XL.

I'm not sure why the Vita is ranked higher than it, seriously. The PSP was an all around great machine and still is to this day., while the Vita has some SERIOUS flaws (cough, memory cards).

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's an amazing piece of hardware with Sony's best d-pad and one of the best d-pad's in all of gaming period. It has a relatively small amount of games but there's a ton of good stuff. It just lacked longterm support and Sony never cared about it.
People used the Vita to play games from other consoles more than Vita games
Fair enough! I always felt like it was thrown around like a meme with all of the "Vita means life" stuff. Guess it's legit though. Shame about Sony not supporting it, though.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Hard disagree from me. I find the Switch extremely uncomfortable to hold for extended periods in handheld mode. I also don't think the Switch's library is even close to pretty much any of Nintendo's other handhelds, especially if you owned a Wii U and aren't playing the many ports for the first time. Odyssey and BotW are both masterpieces in my opinion, but nothing else on the system really comes close.

I do really like the Switch, but greatest handheld of all time? Nah.