• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know fortnite even had a story, I thought that original concept was ditched when it turned into BR.

Also lol at this changing anything for the players not able to play during the event, or who could but couldn't log in.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I didn't know fortnite even had a story, I thought that original concept was ditched when it turned into BR.

Also lol at this changing anything for the players not able to play during the event, or who could but couldn't log in.
I also thought this. Like i knew they had these events for changing the map up, but story? Like, an actual bonafide story? How come I've never heard of this, even from my nephew who never stops playing the game.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Transformed video-game storytelling? what in the fuck? hell no. There are FAR better unique cases I could think of that "transformed" video-game storytelling
  • David Cage games - you're given various scenes with x amount of interactions, choose how those scenes play out and "create" your own experience. The forced emotional angle is kinda sucky and the voice acting is often sub-par but they're all unique experiences and the level of control you have over how stories unfold or end is unmatched as of yet. Characters can straight up die and the story will continue on without them.
  • Her Story - dig for answers and come to your own conclusion based off of what you find.
  • Dwarf Fortress (heh) - Anything is possible
  • Divinity Original Sin 2 - Anything is kinda possible. You can straight up kill off questgivers and those storylines get shut down.
  • The Witcher 3 - side quests actually matter, can have consequences, and can directly tie into the main story, which has its own set of consequences based on user choice.
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution - choice and consequence directly intertwined with play style.
  • The Last of Us - Stories don't have to have a good ending, hyper-emotional narrative.
  • Shadow of the Colossus - The prime example of game design and storytelling perfectly intersecting.
  • Journey - Visually driven, dialogue-less storytelling.
  • Uncharted - Blurring the lines between movies and games. Cinematic storytelling.
  • Prototype - Piecemeal storytelling. Explore the open world, find specific NPCs and absorb their memories to get another piece of the story.
Fornite has not "transformed" storytelling at all. If anything, it isn't even a blip on the radar in the storytelling sector.
Title is hyperbolic, but we're talking about a unique storytelling method in an online competitive MP game. Your examples are strictly single-player with the exception of Journey. It's taking what MMOs have already done but it's applying it in a genre that's mostly never had this much environmental lore background. Blizzard has tried for years to do this with Overwatch but that's a game with constant map rotations. People are not gonna notice the clues compared to playing on the same map for hundreds of hours.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like fortnite is pulling a realm reborn type of event to me rather than transforming anything. Carefully tying up huge gameplay changes and weaving it in to the story itself to make them both one and the same.
I was gonna say, shit, Final Fantasy XIV blew up its world at the end of season 1.

One was them killing a game that was already dead in order to make a brand new game from its ashes.

The other is doing a live event (emphasis on LIVE, not a FMV to sign off things until next time) where people are experiencing a shutdown for a game that is at its current peak.

FFXIV was ballsy as hell, but Fortnite is doing something crazy in their own right. They pulled the plug for a full day of operation now as a marketing strategy in what is essentially a maintenance for the next season.

You could see the end of the world from the lobby and as you played the game too, which is absolutely wack. It isn't even remotely similar to FFXIV making the satellite descend through the sky gradually through patches and then tell GMs to spawn as much monsters as they could in player cities

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no story with BR. Let's be honest.

Cool events? Hell yeah.

But nothing is coherent and could be regarded as lore or even story telling.

Just great parts in a mindlessly fun game.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are A.) Getting way too angry about this article and B.) Clearly only reading the headline.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Short answer: yes.
Slightly less short answer: There is an incredibly subtle story told through events and map changes. They'll likely expand on it more and more, and it's definitely tied to it's sister game mode, Save the World. The story isn't that detailed or thorough but it's got some cool concepts that tie a bunch of random crap together. Interdimensional/time warp stuff. The game just had it's first "dialogue" recently, in the form of Bioshock audio tapes.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
FFXIV_1351555162.jpg
Now this was a monumental event that actually had story relevance.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
MMOs with actual storylines and sagas do this for decades. I sleep

Fortnite does this for random changes in the map in deathmatch mode with no story. REAL SHIT

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People are ignoring that Fortnite tells it's story to swathes of gamers with live events, which is different from pretty much anything out there.

Yes, FFXIV had the 1.0 ending event, and it was a massively cool and memorable moment, but it didn't unfold in front of people in the sense that you were taking part in it. The server shut down while everyone watched a cutscene at the same time.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, pretty sure Planetside did almost the exact same thing. Maybe even twice?
More recently. I know they destroyed the world with a meteor shower when the servers were scheduled to go down permanently, but I am pretty sure there was also some kind of in-game cataclysmic event before the Core Combat expansion as well.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, pretty sure Planetside did almost the exact same thing. Maybe even twice?
More recently. I know they destroyed the world with a meteor shower when the servers were scheduled to go down permanently, but I am pretty sure there was also some kind of in-game cataclysmic event before the Core Combat expansion as well.
Tabula Rasa too.