• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Not as crazy as grinding for some of the things you need for all the spells & rings in Dark Souls 3 for the guilds or whatever they're called (if you don't have online and can't help people fight bosses/can't do PVP, but have to rely on insanely low drop rates from the singular enemies that drop those things in the whole game).

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I can see who save-scummed the ending here.

I didn't grind, I played naturally until NG+++ to get all the endings, and I eventually got all the skills naturally 🤷‍♀️
I actually did this in NG++ (I did the Shura ending in NG+++ for the plat) and I find it really hard to believe you can just get enough EXP for all the skill points. Mostly because if I thought it would actually be achievable I would have just done it. Keep in mind by the point I was grinding for hours I only would have had to go through the final boss and half the game again and that's nearly not enough EXP to offset having grinded all that much. Hell, I don't even think I got enough skill points after that to increase my attack points once I was done with the game.

Not that I need to defend anyone for having save-scummed the game though. Who has time to play the game four times to see all the endings?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I did this on late game NG+ for the platinum. Best area to do it is late game Ashina Castle, but you have to have kept the ogre alive. Start at the Antechamber Idol, kill all the ninjas in the rooms hear, then grapple onto the beam below and watch the ogre kill the two enemies. Warp back to the idol and repeat. I did it over a few days and it must have taken around 3 or 4 hours in total.

Zero chance I was doing 4 playthroughs or whatever for all the endings my goodness.

op is specifically talking about the all skills trophy both in the post i quoted and op. It's the only trophy left for him.
Getting all the trophies awards you the platinum trophy, so he is literally talking about getting the platinum.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Buy the time you complete the game four times for the platinum trophy, you should naturally get enough skill points to get everything. I only grinded a little to get emblems when I needed them.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'll take achievement grinding skill points for save-scumming in Sekiro any time over grinding in DS3 for those covenant items, shudder.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
This is my last trophy as well and I had no idea how much of a grind it was going to be. Really made me regret the Skill Levels I spent on raising attack power.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I finished the game four times before I had it. Helped that I love the game though and I had to finish it that many times anyway for all the endings.

At least it's much, much better than the grind for Covenant items in Dark Souls.

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure i still have the muscle memory from the Red Armor enemies in the Outskirts.
Even on NG+3, it took forever.

Still, child's play compared to the covenant items in the Souls games.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I think most of From's games have a grind hidden in them somewhere if you look hard enough. I could never find matches for the Darkmoon covenant in Dark Souls 3 so I had to resort to grinding the covenant currency off silver knights. It took... a long time. I want to say days, but that might be my memories repainting the grind as worse than it was.

Yeah, I'm a whisker away from a DS3 platinum and was doing something similar with Wolf's Blood Grass but even dual wielding Crystal Rapiers, wearing the Symbol of Avarice and spamming Rusted Coins it's still grim.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I actually did this in NG++ (I did the Shura ending in NG+++ for the plat) and I find it really hard to believe you can just get enough EXP for all the skill points. Mostly because if I thought it would actually be achievable I would have just done it. Keep in mind by the point I was grinding for hours I only would have had to go through the final boss and half the game again and that's nearly not enough EXP to offset having grinded all that much. Hell, I don't even think I got enough skill points after that to increase my attack points once I was done with the game.

Not that I need to defend anyone for having save-scummed the game though. Who has time to play the game four times to see all the endings?

If you play the game normally for all the endings you'll get way more than enough skill points. By normally I mean killing most or all bosses/mini-bosses. I finished the all skills achievement at the end of NG++ and I didn't spend a single second grinding.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
If you play the game normally for all the endings you'll get way more than enough skill points. By normally I mean killing most or all bosses/mini-bosses. I finished the all skills achievement at the end of NG++ and I didn't spend a single second grinding.
I find it hard to believe. As I stated before, at the end of NG++ (with only the final boss left) I had to grind for multiple hours to get enough skill points for the trophy, and this is having killed all bosses/all minibosses in the previous playthroughs. In any case, it doesn't really matter.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
i don't remember it taking more than an hour or two after i did everything else in the game but i did kill every boss 3 to 4 times over

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Despite all odds I tortured myself by beating every single boss in my first play through. Now all that is left is go to the final boss. I would like to get the platinum after all this pain so 2 questions:

I am doing the ending now where I stayed loyal. After that I will save scum and the rest of the endings. Once that is done I will do the shura ending. Now my questions:
- about the skill points: should still farm in my first play through? I like the area before the demon of hatred
- about Lapis Lazuli: so I think there is only one left and that is with the fish scale merchant. But I don't think I can find more scales to buy it in this play trough. I read that I cannot get Lapis Lazuli during the shura ending so now what? I don't think I need 3 playthroughs just for this right?

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
The grind was real to get skill points. IIRC, I kept entering that one room to kill this one guy over and over. It's been a while since I got the plat.

Despite all odds I tortured myself by beating every single boss in my first play through. Now all that is left is go to the final boss. I would like to get the platinum after all this pain so 2 questions:

I am doing the ending now where I stayed loyal. After that I will save scum and the rest of the endings. Once that is done I will do the shura ending. Now my questions:
- about the skill points: should still farm in my first play through? I like the area before the demon of hatred
- about Lapis Lazuli: so I think there is only one left and that is with the fish scale merchant. But I don't think I can find more scales to buy it in this play trough. I read that I cannot get Lapis Lazuli during the shura ending so now what? I don't think I need 3 playthroughs just for this right?

I think you'll be hard pressed to grind on your first playthrough for the skillpoints because the multiplier for subsequent playthroughs really does help out.

I think I was on NG++?

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

Trust me when I say you should do it on at least NG++ (I think I just went to NG+4 because it only takes a few hours to beat the game)

You can easily speedrun NG+ and skip a lot of the game, and the EXP increase from each NG cycle is well worth it.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
The grind was real to get skill points. IIRC, I kept entering that one room to kill this one guy over and over. It's been a while since I got the plat.

I think you'll be hard pressed to grind on your first playthrough for the skillpoints because the multiplier for subsequent playthroughs really does help out.

I think I was on NG++?
Trust me when I say you should do it on at least NG++ (I think I just went to NG+4 because it only takes a few hours to beat the game)

You can easily speedrun NG+ and skip a lot of the game, and the EXP increase from each NG cycle is well worth it.

Thanks guys. Will do then. But what about the upgrade trophy for Lapis Lazuli??

EDIT: ok I need save scum twice uff

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I turned on some podcasts and did the endgame path for skill points over and over and over. Probably ran it 200 times?

Apr 24, 2019
I can say I had an absolute blast getting this trophy by running through the story over and over again. When you're just rushing bosses you can go super fast, and the boss XP is actually pretty strong.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the lapiz lazuli, I didn't know you could screw yourself by running out of carp scales.

If things are messed up to where you cant get a lazuli, I'd say just do the NG+ because you'll blaze through the game.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Me during the last boss fight just now

I can reduce posture damage by holding R1....

I CAN REDUCE POSTURE DAMAGE BY HOLDING R1

tenor.gif

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
This thread reminded me that i still have one ending missing.
The free update sounds like the perfect excuse to do another run.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Using the Dragon Mask on my first playthrough was a giant, giant fucking mistake. I wish the leveling thresholds were significantly quickened in NG+ and beyond.

WannabeSage

May 31, 2019
I got there on ng+6 so I don't know how people got it in ng+3. Did I die million times just as I was about to get a point?

Yes, the grind was real.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I did it. I beat the the last boss for the purification ending. What a fight. What a painful but fucking memorable experience!!!

I am exhausted.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
My 2 month journey to platinum Sekiro has finally come to an end tonight. What a game and what fucking grind for skill points at the end. Luckily I kept the missing cradle ending as my last trophy otherwise this would have been a fucking depressing platinum moment.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It took me around an hour to get the rest near the end of my NG+++ playthrough.
There's a tactic that makes it much easier

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, definitely soured me a little on the experience. When I compare it to my Bloodborne plat, that one felt natural since the last trophy popped at the end of my chalice dungeon journey. Dark Souls 1's was kind of annoying, but it never felt grindy like Sekiro except for a certain rare drop that took for. ev. er.