• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That was a really cool trailer and poster. Feels way more ominous than I remember this story being haha. Hopefully it leans into the horror vibes.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
See's A24 logo

PmKBfQe.jpg

less

Oct 25, 2017
This mothafucka created a new genre.

Maybe someone else has done it before, I dunno, but it does feel super fresh and unique.

And if Ain't Them Bodies Saints, A Ghost Story and The Old Man & the Gun are any indications, this movie is gonna slap.

And here I thought that Guy Richie's King Arthur film was the only time I would put Arthurian and horror together in a sentence when it came to films but god bless Lowery for changing that.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I only recently watched A Ghost Story, having never seen anything from Lowery, and I fucking loved it. Then I heard of this, peaking my interest as we don't see many strong Arthurian films these days. And man, this trailer is just fucking amazingly on point. There's a safeness and sterility to a lot of Arthurian representation in film, and I get it, many of these stories are rewritten and shot to appeal to a wider audience and diverse ages. But the horror undertones here enrich the story in a way perfectly suited to Sir Gawian and the Green Knight. There's an unsettling tone to the myth and I love how it's being represented here.

Cannot fucking wait.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in the specifics of the direction they go with it. There's lots of weird implications depending on how you view the story.

Looks good though and appropriate for the story.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Looks interesting, I liked The Old Man and the Gun and loved A Ghost Story. I much prefer trailers like this which give a sample of the tone and style of the film but give nothing away.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Ralph Ineson, Kate Dickie, Dev Patel, Joel Edgerton and Sean Harris? That's a great cast. And the movie looks interesting.

Side note: I love how soft Sean Harris' voice is.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love the look of this; definitely wanting to see it. I can't say I'm familiar with the director's work.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Its been so long since I've seen dark fantasy in the vein of Excalibur. It looks beautiful.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only recently watched A Ghost Story, having never seen anything from Lowery, and I fucking loved it. Then I heard of this, peaking my interest as we don't see many strong Arthurian films these days. And man, this trailer is just fucking amazingly on point. There's a safeness and sterility to a lot of Arthurian representation in film, and I get it, many of these stories are rewritten and shot to appeal to a wider audience and diverse ages. But the horror undertones here enrich the story in a way perfectly suited to Sir Gawian and the Green Knight. There's an unsettling tone to the myth and I love how it's being represented here.

Cannot fucking wait.

This could be the best one since Boorman's Excalibur. Which has Nichol Williamson's Merlin to end all Merlins and without a single cliché. Not horror, but unsettling and tinged with madness. Williamson plays him as a manic schemer and disappointed enabler of men's worst instincts, which he grants with drippingly obvious cautions which are profoundly ignored by horny or aggro knights and kings. The pace of that movie is insane. It thunders along like a chase movie, and the transformation of Arthur from Boy to King with the same actor is shocking. Also one of the more bizarre set drama anecdotes:

Nichol Williamson told Boorman he didn't want to work with Helen Mirren, because he once tried to hook up with her on a production of Macbeth, and she turned him down. Mirren said the same thing - "I don't want to work with Nichol because I tried to seduce him during Macbeth and he wasn't having any of it." So the tension folks, IS REAL. The production values swing from perfect, to 80s chromium glamor, to Star Trek level caverns. All of it set to a monstrous brooding and portentous score of Wagner and even Carmina Burana - that you forget is classical music and believe is scored for the film. I LOVE THIS FILM> I think a young person might be turned off though. It's definitely oddball.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
This looks fantastic. I will place it amongst the many films I will want to see and then fail to do so.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I can't post any information about it, sorry! I'll definetely be keeping an eye on this thread though.

Edit: Thinking about it now, probably no use in posting in the first place, considering I can't contribute anything to the conversation. Bah!
Your avatar is a smiling fish. Don't worry, message received 🤫🧠

tenor.gif

ButeoViridis

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
Thanks for sharing.

I wonder in what manner it is gonna to deviate(?), because I remember it to be sometimes quite humorous.

Like in this Welsh/Russian adaption done Welsh/UK tv I want to share (Warning there is some mild nudity):

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SELFISH QUESTION

Any chance this gets released to stream early? Not a summer blockbuster obviously but it's due out in a month - this seems like something they could just sit on tho. But if they release for streaming there's various scenarios it could make more money than in a theatrical window.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SELFISH QUESTION

Any chance this gets released to stream early? Not a summer blockbuster obviously but it's due out in a month - this seems like something they could just sit on tho. But if they release for streaming there's various scenarios it could make more money than in a theatrical window.
They already have a rent/stream relationship with Amazon, I could see them going that route and letting Amazon push it to expose more people to their woefully under-appreciated streaming platform.

But that's just wishful thinking :(

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I would have thought it would have been delayed by now.

But who knows. Maybe A24 can capture a much bigger audience with streaming.

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm.

I remember liking this when I had to read it in school but can't remember details. Interest definitely piqued though. And while I don't always actually like A24 films, they've all been quality. I'm in.

Status
Not open for further replies.