• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
If you want renaissance with less christianity, Albrecht Durer is for you.

Albrecht-self.jpg

Deleted member 32101

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
There is much room for subjectivity in art, but if there is anything that could be called objectively beautiful in this world, this is somewhere at the very top.

Absolutely not. You like it, it's subjective.
You can't claim ANY objectivity at all.

Art is always subjective.

This drawing does nothing for me.
I've seen 100x better stuff of artists that never get their name printed bc there are so many nowadays since the internet allows art to flourish and everyone can learn it.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I don't understand this at all. I like Kandinsky but a lot of abstract art for me is just *whoosh*

This is more surrealism. I like how the work is on the tip of your tongue, mentally. As if you could understand it if you just knew what those objects were. They look like furniture so maybe you try to guess their function. And then you see how they are connected either by pipes or with some thread. What does that mean?

Maybe they are instruments? Why are they there? Where are they? Why would someone even paint that? What is the point?

It reminds me of this

46a5de0673dd595e2546b21f5add491c.jpg

But done deliberately and with (unknown) purpose.

Larson said that he got the idea looking at primitive man's tools and that cow tools would look way dumber. He said his mistake was drawing the one that looked like a saw so people viewing it thought they could figure out the joke by understanding what the other tools were for.

OP
OP
kristoffer

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
This is more surrealism. I like how the work is on the tip of your tongue, mentally. As if you could understand it if you just knew what those objects were. They look like furniture so maybe you try to guess their function. And then you see how they are connected either by pipes or with some thread. What does that mean?
Oh, that is good.

Bagels

Oct 27, 2017
When you assumption a virgin, all it does is make an ass out of u, a virgin, and...mption.

I'll show myself out.

(I love seeing people posting their favorite paintings and the Edward Hopper shoutouts warm my heart.)

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Just a reminder. Most of that enjoy modern art know how silly it is.

Modern art lover Steve Martin

The real freaks are the "performance art" types.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Good painting, but nowhere near the best. Been in a lot of churches all my life, and the stuff you'll see on the ceilings and walls of some of them put Assumption of the Virgin to shame despite having incredibly similar themes and styles... and in many cases artists who go totally uncredited for it.

Also just about anything by Gustave Dore dwarfs the majority of even those paintings; though a bunch of his best work are woodcuts rather than traditional paintings, so I'm not sure it all counts...

A wild Beksinski appears...

xaJ1Nf4.jpg
...I think I'm in love with whatever it is I'm seeing here...

Last edited:

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Dor%C3%A9_%E2%80%94_Enigma_1871.jpg

Love the works of Gustave Dore. As someone who is colorblind, his work really hits me.

e433aeb68df26a72488b5300b024b3b4.jpg

Beautiful. I could get lost in the detail.

b8e43d402031023c04b7aa8c38fca3c6.jpg

Her face...

99e4686655907ae9ade05b14ea18ef0a.jpg

One more from Gore. It's an etching but it's too good not to put here.
Really glad to see someone else at bat for Dore in here. His work is far and away my favorite out there, regardless of being paintings or woodcuts.

Probably my all time favorite just for the sheer scale of what's occurring within the painting:
The_Triumph_Of_Christianity_Over_Paganism.Gustave_Dor%C3%A9.jpg

It's a general symbolic representation of Christianity winning out over past theologies, but it also totally works as very active bit of imagery of the other gods and goddesses quite literally being cast out. Just the scale of what you see in it and the life every individual figure has (even so far as the personalized faces of each individual angel at in the top half of the painting) is just so above and beyond what I'm used to seeing in most pieces of art from any era... Plus, as a big SMT fan, I'm kind of a sucker for mythological/theological crossover pieces...

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are all ok, but man how do you beat dogs playing poker. That one dog is even cheating, that says something profound about the soul

TVmYEb5.png
Two dogs are cheating, not one. The one dog has folded (aka: accepted defeat without throwing more money in), and is passing a valuable card that was in his hand to the other dog. It's a sort of selfless kind of cheating, because the dog that seems to be cheating loses, and gains nothing. And yet, both of the dogs involved in the cheat have stacks of chips, while the other dogs are being cleaned out. It implies that there has been an alternating back-and-forth between these two cheating dogs, as one accepts a harmless defeat to allow the other to score a victory. There is a bond of trust between these two thieves, who accept defeat as the way to win.

Also note how the two cheating dogs are physically smaller than the five other dogs, whose heads all conspicuously rest above the level of the backrests of their chairs. It illustrates that most basic concept of the underdog. When your strength is greater, those with lesser power must be cunning to survive, and if you grow complacent in your superiority, the cunning underdog will do more than survive, they will destroy you without mercy.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Beksinski, the creator of the art that gets reposted 10,000 times by nerds any time painting comes up.

5C2nlL3.jpg
xjYyC7y.jpg

qkog9TP.jpg

I actually do like his work a ton, but boy does he get posted a lot on gaming and nerd communities.
If you're into this sort of style and the surreal desolation feeling it instills, give Wayne Barlowe's "Barlowe's Inferno" a look sometime. It's all heavily inspired by artists like Beksinski, but with a distinct twist on it. I don't think I can really use it as an example here since the images aren't technically paintings, but the quality and sheer otherworldliness of them is incredible.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people have to be ok with something because it's hundreds of years old?
I just don't see the point is critiquing something with modern sensibilities that's hundrends of years old. Rolling your eyes at a 500 year old painting of Jesus because he's depicted as whites seems like the goofiest shit ever. To what end? What is being accomplished here?

Oct 25, 2017
If you're into this sort of style and the surreal desolation feeling it instills, give Wayne Barlowe's "Barlowe's Inferno" a look sometime. It's all heavily inspired by artists like Beksinski, but with a distinct twist on it. I don't think I can really use it as an example here since the images aren't technically paintings, but the quality and sheer otherworldliness of them is incredible.
I actually have a bunch of Barlowe saved on my computer. I really, really love his alien biology art.

aKDs7dt.jpg

hIECQws.jpg

YDqwXqD.jpg

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see the point is critiquing something with modern sensibilities that's hundrends of years old. Rolling your eyes at a 500 year old painting of Jesus because he's depicted as whites seems like the goofiest shit ever. To what end? What is being accomplished here?
Isn't it odd to call anything pointless while posting on a forum? Like, to what end do you waste time posting on a forum? It's an awful counter argument. The age means nothing to me. I can roll my eyes at anything I please.
Because what you're doing is just mindless anachronism.
No, I just don't see it as the greatest painting in all of human history and I dislike the white washing. It's not an anachronism because white washing still exists today. And because it happened 500-600-1000 years ago doesn't mean I ever have to be ok with it. Goodbye.
Your arguing with people for little reason let people enjoy the painting
I made my opinion and had people argue with me. ok? people can have whatever opinion they want of it.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Isn't it odd to call anything pointless while posting on a forum? Like, to what end do you waste time posting on a forum? It's an awful counter argument. The age means nothing to me. I can roll my eyes at anything I please.

You can do whatever you please, and others can point out that it's foolish.

No, I just don't see it as the greatest painting in all of human history and I dislike the white washing. It's not an anachronism because white washing still exists today. And because it happened 500-600-1000 years ago doesn't mean I ever have to be ok with it. Goodbye.

It's funny that you're argument that something isn't anachronistic involves arguing it exists today. Most anachronism is people mindless projecting the ideas of today onto the past.

No one is telling you that you can't dislike the painting. Just that your reason is moronic.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I know nothing about art.....This is on of the most epic things I have ever seen. I am stunned.

This is absolutely stunning.

That fucking water. This is good

This is one of the loveliest paintings I've ever seen.

Yeah, I don't know much about art either, but I saw one of his paintings years ago and it stuck with me. If you do a google image search you'll see the ocean is almost the only thing he painted. Reminds me of the concept of being a master at one thing you're passionate about, rather than mediocre at many things.

Ivan-Konstantinovich-Aivazovsky-Wave.jpg

Ivan_Konstantinovich_Aivazovsky_-_St%C3%BCrmische_See_im_Abendrot%2C_1896.jpg

e70789f1af3b2e6a193ccd94d974a20e.jpg

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Always reminds me of this:

Also, I have a soft spot for Raphael's School of Athens for its story. Basically the entire Western Canon and simultaneously the history of Renaissance Art in one place:

school-of-athens-detail-from-right-hand-side-showing-diogenes-on-the-steps-and-euclid-1511_2.jpg

The person used for Heraclitus (the guy leaning on the stone front and center) was probably Michelangelo, which is interesting considering that Michelangelo hated Raphael. Plato (middle, pointing up) is probably DaVinci, too.

I was looking for School of Athens in this thread. I thought it would be more popular, but I guess I waa wrong. I also really like the Nightwatch, partially because I'm Dutch and they always praise it here.

My history teacher said that Michelangelo hated Raphael, because Michelangelo's technique wasn't as refines as that of Raphael. One of people looking jealous in the School of Athens is supposed to be Michelangelo.

Oct 25, 2017
I might as well post something connected directly with me.

Herb Kane is an artist that was a family friend, who died years ago. I was in a picture he painted once, for a book. My stepdad was a model in one of his painting, as well.

sygz7qe.jpg

http://herbkanehawaii.com/

He drew everything from depictions of Hawaiian mythology, to ancient practices of the Hawaiians (top row is using the stars to navigate, middle is petroglyph carving and canoeing, bottom is Pele, the volcano goddess among other Hawaiian mythological tales.) He was quite a big deal in terms of modern Hawaiian painters.

My stepdad is one of the six canoe paddlers in that painting in the middle row.

It really sucks that he passed away, because he was such a wonderful fellow. I know his wife, who still manages her husband's work and sells it via this website.

See if you can find any particular works you like on his site! She still sells them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really love The Nut Gatherers. Unlike virtually every religious painting I've ever seen, it actually makes me feel something. It makes me nostalgic for times when I'd hang out with my cousin when we were kids. She and I'd run around barefoot all day after chuch on Sunday in my aunts giant backyard during the summer. It makes me long for summer and the sound of grasshoppers. I used to hate chuch but I'd love throwing off my shoes and playing outside as soon as we got home.

WF0cyCW.jpg

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Christina's World

si-8520.jpg_maxdim-1000_resize-yes.jpg

Based on the sister of the artist's girlfriend. It's intended to be a painting about the strength of this girl with paralyzed legs due to a degenerative muscular disorder. She would crawl out of the actual farmhouse pictured and pick berries and crawl home.

Yet there is just so much foreboding and despair lurking in the corners. It feels like everything is positioned to swallow her up or deny her haven. I've got some deep personal issues with this I will admit. It's like there are wolves at her back or trespassers approaching.

It's funny because it feels like a Thematic Appreciation Test(TAT). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thematic_apperception_test

And I rate poorly.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's ok. Too many naked babies for my taste though.

This is my personal favorite:

Iván_el_Terrible_y_su_hijo%2C_por_Iliá_Repin.jpg

This is the one I was going to post, of all the paintings I've ever seen this one captures emotion like no other. Especially in the eyes, like you can feel the sadness and despair in the fathers eyes, and the complete shock in the sons, all in that one fraction of a moment that the painting captures.

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
tumblr_nbyhwwdVg21thxsmlo1_1280.jpg

Probably ruining all my credibility here, but when seeing this illustration stories started springing up in my mind and I had a strong feeling of wanting to know everything about this scene. As for my credibility, this is the illustration for Toil to Renown by Larry MacDougall for Magic the Gathering.

Maybe I'll come by with some real art later, but I can't think of anything else that had such an immediate impact on me.