• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Ajax and Cassandra

iSmqMd2.jpg

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I'm looking for a painting with a guy asking for his money with one of his fingers pointing to his hand like "give back to me mother f""

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Has anyone brought up The Death of Marat? I don't think it's the best ever or anything but it's petty good.

796px-Death-of-Marat-by-David.jpg

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
School of Athens is my favourite, not only is epic but also i love the story behind it and Raphael was such a nice guy between master artists that were major dick lol
Its a pity he died so soon.

school-of-athens-detail-from-right-hand-side-showing-diogenes-on-the-steps-and-euclid-1511_2.jpg

Glad to see some Velazquez and Soroya in this thread.
I know that Velazquez Las Meninas is incredibly famous and he probably has more technically better paintings, but fuck of the 4th wall shenanigans of Las Meninas is not fucking masterful.
41866afd-6396-45e7-bd26-944263cf92f7.jpg

Also, I have a soft spot for Raphael's School of Athens for its story. Basically the entire Western Canon and simultaneously the history of Renaissance Art in one place:

school-of-athens-detail-from-right-hand-side-showing-diogenes-on-the-steps-and-euclid-1511_2.jpg

The person used for Heraclitus (the guy leaning on the stone front and center) was probably Michelangelo, which is interesting considering that Michelangelo hated Raphael. Plato (middle, pointing up) is probably DaVinci, too.
Yup, though is more about Michelangelo hating everyone that only Raphael. Raphael was a fangirl of both Michelangelo and DaVinci.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure he raped her iirc

At the fall of Troy, Cassandra sought shelter in the temple of Athena. There she embraced the wooden statue of Athena in supplication for her protection, but was abducted and brutally raped by Ajax the Lesser. Cassandra clung so tightly to the statue of the goddess that Ajax knocked it from its stand as he dragged her away.[12] One account claimed that even Athena, who had worked hard to help the Greeks destroy Troy, was not able to restrain her tears and her cheeks burned with anger. In one account, this caused her image to give forth a sound that shook the floor of the temple at the sight of Cassandra's rape, and her image turned its eyes away as Cassandra was violated, although others found this account too bold.[12] Ajax's actions were a sacrilege because Cassandra was a supplicant at the sanctuary, and thus under the protection of the goddess. He further defiled the temple with sexual intercourse by raping her.[17]

Athena do something, for fuck sake

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I know this posts are a year old, but still...
there's another Sorolla painting I quite like with some nice reflections. Sorolla was definitely an expert in capturing sunny days at the beach and crafting beautiful paintings out of them:

(Beach of Valencia by Morning Light)

1280px-Joaquin_Sorolla%2C_1908_-_Beach_of_Valencia_by_Morning_Light.jpg
How things change hahahaha
58.jpg

"La Malvarrosa by Morning Light" :P

Something about the presence of small boats adds something. Paintings of ships are not rare, and people at the beach probably is not a rare subject either, but having a few small pleasure craft or whatever makes it seem like they are REALLY a maritime culture. Need to photoshop some blitzballs into the paintings.

For someone like me that is from Valencia and reads this posts, is so interesting and funny at the same time.
The thing about Sorolla is that people mostly post its beach paintings (and well, its his most famous because indeed they are great), but he also went hard into painting Valencia's important countryside aspect with the orange groves, the Fallas festivities and the city Gardens.
url

Joaquin-Sorolla-Y-Bastida-Guitar-players-Valencia.JPG

url

url

Sorolla%2BLa%2BHabana%2B800%2B%25287%2529.JPG

url

url

All of this paintings, plus all his famous beach paintings are depictions from the same city. Sorolla was a hard traditionalist (what we call pintura costumbrista) and loved his city very much so thats why its present in the majority of his work. The thing is, while you could say we have some maritime culture, by the time of sorolla in 1900s and modern times, the shores of Valencia were more pleasure like than work (and before that, when the beaches were used mostly for work and its port, the city was 2 or 3 km far from the coast, at least everything inside the medieval walls, the coast and port was still part of the city per se, but those km made it not be really used fr pleasure till the 1900s avenues outside of the city walls start joining the city with the beach for the commomfolk. So i really wouldnt call it an island maritime type culture (nor we are an island lol). I just like showing my city's culture to people outside spain so i hope you enjoyed my post, and also more cool new paintings for the thread :D

EDIT
after reading the whole thread this really needs a title change, is sad when between fantastic posts about paintings you see different people entering each month just to say fuck you to the original op, without adding any new cool art.
We really need a mod to change the title, the clickbite doesnt make this thread justice.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of whatever but I like these Frank Holl ones.

e: upon looking again, no longer whatever!

Ih25H85.jpg

sAJO0G9.jpg

nMM65sj.jpg

BJ4RCKN.jpg

Last edited:

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Something to prevent the rape ... I know it's mythology but...

You're talking about the same goddess who in some accounts turned medusa into a monster as punishment because she had the audicity to be raped by posiedon in one of her temples.

Last edited:

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for keeping this thread up to date, folks. It's really nice to see all of these right now. :>

i'll see if i can contribute something after i look through all these pages..

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Astronomer by Candlelight by Gerrit Dou. The picture here doesn't capture how bright the candle is in the painting.
00092201.jpg

Glow of the City by Martin Lewis
W1siZiIsIjE2NjkzNCJdLFsicCIsImNvbnZlcnQiLCItcXVhbGl0eSA5MCAtcmVzaXplIDIwMDB4MjAwMFx1MDAzZSJdXQ.jpg

Manhattan Midnight by Ellison Hoover
ellison-hoover-manhattan-midnight.jpg

Landscape with a Calm by Nicolas Poussin
48ba567da78eb5e9d1d1f754b11ea415.jpg

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
You're talking about the same goddess who in some accounts turned medusa into a monster as punishment because she had the audicity to be raped by posiedon in one of her temples.

I don't want to do the devil's advocate but Medusa drove her car to temples and wasn't wearing an iron Burqa... I kinda like the fact that Greek's gods weren't pure ultralight beam of hypocrisy perfection like the last version of the father of Jesus but a bunch of assholes

Fumée d'Ambre Gris is the background of my phone but there is something about this girl gaze

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to do the devil's advocate but Medusa drove her car to temples and wasn't wearing an iron Burqa... I kinda like the fact that Greek's gods weren't pure ultralight beam of hypocrisy perfection like the last version of the father of Jesus but a bunch of assholes

Fumée d'Ambre Gris is the background of my phone but there is something about this girl gaze
I like the hair glow.

Unknown

Oct 29, 2017
The two most striking paintings I've seen recently were both at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, and oddly enough neither were by Van Gogh.

The first was a painting by Jason Brooks. This guy has some bonkers stuff, but seeing this in person was something else:

Brooks_To_John_Clare_2017-1600-xxx_q85.jpg

It's large (~2m wide), incredibly deep / heavily layered (from memory about 5 inches?), and the way it reflects light is really hard to describe due to the mix of smooth contours and harsh transitions between the glossy paint layers.

They also had a collection of Millet on display, and it's quite amazing how light, shadow and focus are used.

1280px-Jean-François_Millet_-_The_Sheepfold%2C_Moonlight_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

The moon just glows when seen in person, and the use of soft focus and shadow gave it a three dimensional look. It's really striking.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Really appreciate the frequent updates Signal! Love this thread, will try to contribute more.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't have much to add other than I knew the guy that started this movement and I laugh every time I remember it

www.instagram.com

Renoir Sucks At Painting (@renoir_sucks_at_painting) • Instagram photos and videos

17K Followers, 72 Following, 378 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Renoir Sucks At Painting (@renoir_sucks_at_painting)
www.theguardian.com

'Renoir sucks at painting' movement demands removal of artist's works

The group has protested at Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts, while its Instagram account has drawn the ire of the artist’s great-great-grandgaughter
www.theverge.com

I'm convinced: Renoir really did suck at painting

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm drawn to abstract art (and the whole pop art thing) and recently saw an exhibition of Inger Ekdahl (who was one of the first women in Sweden who worked in that field back in the 40's and 50's (and well into the 90's)).

She studied with Jear Arp and Victor Vasarely, among others.

Her paintings blew me away. Take a few steps back and they look like they were made with a computer. Go closer and realize that they're painted in straight lines.

With oil paint.

Ragna-Bley-Inger-Ekdahl-Flash-Art-07.jpg

Inge-Ekdahl-978x976.jpg