• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Is it too late to troll with Hirst's polka dots he didn't even paint himself or did someone beat me to the punch?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This Thomas Pollock Anshutz painting is good.

dRkuQzP.jpg

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I'll stick with Guernica as greatest painting of all time, even though Rothko's Red series & Seagram murals are the ones that have bought me the greatest peace, pleasure & space to think, and my favourite for evoking a feeling is Flaming June.

The Rothko room at the Tate Modern is one of the most amazing experiences I've had with art, I could spend hours in there. The way that the muted lighting and close seating interacts with the paintings makes them feel almost like portals to another world. Images don't do it justice.

rothko_room.jpg

Also, as much as I can appreciate the technical aspects of renaissance/classical painting, I honestly find religious European art to be a complete bore much of the time. Such a conservative subject and style.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The Rothko room at the Tate Modern is one of the most amazing experiences I've had with art, I could spend hours in there. The way that the muted lighting and close seating interacts with the paintings makes them feel almost like portals to another world. Images don't do it justice.

rothko_room.jpg

Also, as much as I can appreciate the technical aspects of renaissance/classical painting, I honestly find religious European art to be a complete bore much of the time. Such a conservative subject and style.
Cool room.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Amazing thread. Beautiful thread.

I have a request, but it will be very difficult to find. It's a piece of artwork I have been trying to find for years... I saw it once, and never found it again. It was probably a digital artwork, but it was some sort of green field, daytime. And there was this giant kinda robotic angel/celestial being that was kinda spooky. It had a big glowing halo of some sort.

Please let me know if you guys remember anything like that.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Since this is basically now a "post cool paintings" thread, I thought I'd shard some pieces from Mark Maggiori, who's work I've recently become slightly obsessed with. He's a French painter who specializes in stunning depictions of ranchers the American southwest.

hRemtLd.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is basically now a "post cool paintings" thread, I thought I'd shard some pieces from Mark Maggiori, who's work I've recently become slightly obsessed with. He's a French painter who specializes in stunning depictions of ranchers the American southwest.

hRemtLd.jpg

His stuff is the fucking best. I just got my print of The Crossing framed yesterday, and could't be happier with how it came out.
68702576_10101726237104069_776544436602535936_n.jpg

weremichael

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Mountains

rothko_room.jpg

I agree completely. I understand culturally why the painters explored Christian motifs and subjects in their work, but don't enjoy that subject in art.

Rothko on the other hand is amazing (especially in person). The Tate is just another reason why I need to go to London.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
One of my favorite Art Movements is from the post 1821 revolution artists of Greece. While I don't usually like my art to be as nationalist there is something profound in this depiction of their last push after an extremely long siege:
61224_2000_2000-1068x1492.jpg

The crumbling walls, the overwhelming odds, the sheer exhaustjon seen within the women and dying men, and the inner belief of something above giving them strength, its all exactly as it should be.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Man looking at so many great paintings in so many different styles, makes me look back at our media movies/videogames and how boring they all look compared to this. Why can't creatos today experiment a little, video games specially, i loved Limbo cause it was a great game but it's style had a lot to do with it.

Personally, i really like the paintings depicting humans being terrible to each other, shows so much raw emotions and just how awful we are and have always been.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Man looking at so many great paintings in so many different styles, makes me look back at our media movies/videogames and how boring they all look compared to this. Why can't creatos today experiment a little, video games specially, i loved Limbo cause it was a great game but it's style had a lot to do with it.

Personally, i really like the paintings depicting humans being terrible to each other, shows so much raw emotions and just how awful we are and have always been.
Gotta go indie mostly. The cost of games maybe scares people from experimenting too much.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Ilya Repin: Sadko in the underwater kingdom

Sadko played the gusli on the shores of a lake. The Sea Tsar enjoyed his music, and offered to help him. Sadko was instructed to make a bet with the local merchants about catching a certain fish in the lake; when he caught it (as provided by the Tsar), the merchants had to pay the wager, making Sadko a rich merchant.
Sadko traded on the seas with his new wealth, but did not pay proper respects to the Tsar as per their agreement. The Tsar stopped Sadko's ships in the sea. He and his sailors tried to appease the Sea Tsar with gold, to no avail. Sadko's crew forced him to jump into the sea. There, he played the gusli for the Sea Tsar, who offered him a new bride. On advice, he took a mermaid named Chernava, the last from all of 900 mermaids, and lay down beside her.
He woke up on the shore of the river Chernava and rejoined his wife.

Sadko.jpg

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Lincoln in Dalivison - Salvador Dalí 1976 (Amazing Pixel art lol)
gala-contemplating-the-mediterranean-sea-which-at-eighteen-metres-becomes-the-portrait-of-1976.jpg

Guernica (Picasso) was mentioned but not posted. It's breathtaking in person.
DE00050.jpg

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised no one posted about BEAUTY which took famous artworks and animated them to fairly great effect
For the longest time the creator of it had it offline because it was touring around to artshows all over the place but they've finally stopped

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
There's not enough Bosch here. No one else draws ears armed with daggers, blue birds eating people while on a toilet, pig nuns, pink flute monsters, some kind of sea Bishop, sledders... is that a rabbit?
No one paints them as well is my point.

hRemtLd.jpg

These hurt my brain with how good they are. It's like looking into the sun but it's art.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Antonello da Messina, portraits 1476-77

id-016.-Antonello-da-Messina-Ritratto-di-giovane-uomo-Staatliche-Museum-Berlino-852x1200.jpg

anton.jpg

Jean Fouquet, Our Lady of the Milk 1450-1455

fouquet_madonna.jpg

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
signal link me that other art thread from like last year that you were in. There were some things I've wanted to see again. I've been meaning to ask you about it.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
signal what's your background with paintings, anyway? I only know the stuff I studied in an Italian culture class in college, household names, and those I've seen in museums and art galleries.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This was shared in the Elden Ring thread (thanks Masagiwa!):

Cool dark fantasy art with frequent Dark Souls-style inspiration (well, it even has one actual DS fanart haha). Very high quality stuff. There's a few metal album cover arts in there too, unsurprisingly.
Couple of samples:
artem-demura-baba-v-lodke6.jpg

artem-demura-gates.jpg

artem-demura-forestroamer.jpg

artem-demura-l-aube-2.jpg

artem-demura-tree-of-pain2.jpg

artem-demura-forest.jpg