• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't anything most people will be shocked by, but I'm finding that way more people are showing their ass on my social media than I would have expected. For years I read people here talk about how their social media is like this, and I've always thought "I'm thankful that's not me" - but the last few weeks have really changed that.

Facebook has been just a feed of games adverts for me for a while as most people's bragging annoys me and I've muted a lot, so I don't tend to use it. But even on my LinkedIn feed which I use a lot for work and tends to be very apolitical, it's had a surprising number of connections sharing #ALM, or posting news stories with "black" crossed out from "black victim" and "white" from "white cop", or that screaming NYC police chief with unironic words akin to "look what hurt you're causing cops!" Thankfully this isn't from any of my colleagues, because I don't know how I'd handle that - but I don't doubt that many are just keeping quiet because they know our company would have something to say about it.

Almost immediately I started to purge it of these connections. It's not something I feel "good" about - it's not good that I know these people or that they have these opinions - but there is something relieving about removing any connection to these assholes.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's amazing how shitty folks can be and it makes me lose hope that any real change will come. Those same folks would be the first to whine if a bunch of black cops started finding dumb reasons to kill white people.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
it feels like everyone has been showing their true colors the last 4 years in general.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Facebook has revealed that most of my family is made up of trump supporters, Covid19-deniers, racists, and gun lovers.

Now it makes sense how I never fit in at family gatherings when we were young.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fortunately I don't see it with my circle, but see it with other assholes. I immediately call those pieces of shit out.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've had to remove a few people this week. Disappointing.

I did try talking to a couple of them and got some very hostile responses... so from this point on I'm just going to delete.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shutting down my Facebook and Twitter accounts gave me like a 10% boost to my general sense of well-being.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
I got rid of Facebook and instagram about 5-6 years ago because of issues with students stalking me and it has been a blessing not having to see the shitty posts out there.
Every once in a while my wife still has a shit heel show themselves on social media and its an instant block nowadays.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I rarely use Facebook and I only have a couple of people there. Sadly, there are some people I can't delete from there. So, I just don't go there.

I did my purge in 2016, after the elections. I wasn't following any Trump supporters, but anyone that said or implied we'd be alright and that we were panicking for nothing was promptly unfollowed.

Even people like Jake Tapper that every now and then RTs a right wing politician without any comment. I don't want that shit in my timeline.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I have a strong progressive lean to my social media, so never had anybody posting any real support for Trump. But Coronavirus was great for exposing me to people in my network who are turning into conspiracy nuts (5G, Bill Gates, anti vax, China germ warfare, etc). The protests are now exposing me to those with "All lives matter" and "Race shouldn't even come into it" leanings.

While I tried a little to present better information and counter arguments, social media isn't really a great platform to talk someone away from a position (which is unfortunate because it sure is helpful to reinforce their existing positions). So, have been unfollowing or unfriending as appropriate.