• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Hello Era.

In light of the franchise's 25th anniversary and the upcoming RE Showcase, with the possible announcement of Village for Summer-ish release and maybe another new game or two being announced, I am planning to start an entire franchise-wide replay of the game(s) which got me into video gaming as a whole. To make things convenient, I will play the games in release order, not chronologically, and if a better re-release of a version exists and I have access to it, play that instead of the vanilla release, and will periodically update this thread after beating a game with brief impressions and how it has held up in 2021. Some of these I haven't played in around a decade or so, so they will be a good refresh for me as well.

Anyone else planning something similar ?

We're looking at the following:

- Resident Evil 1 Directors Cut (PSX)
- Resident Evil 2 (Gamecube via Dolphin and the RE HD Seamless mods)
- Resident Evil 3 (same as above)
- Resident Evil Survivor (PSX)
- Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (PS3 HD re-release)
- Resident Evil Survivor 2 (PS2)
- Resident Evil Gaiden (Skip cause this is non-canon, may YT story specific scenes)
- Resident Evil Remake (HD Remaster)
- Resident Evil Zero (HD Remaster)
- Resident Evil: Dead Aim (PS2)
- Resident Evil Outbreak File 1 and 2 (PS2)
- Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
- Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (PS3)
- Resident Evil 5 (PS4)
- Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles (PS3)
- Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D (skipping)
- Resident Evil: Revelations (HD Re-release)
- Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (fucking skip)
- Resident Evil 6 (PS4)
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS4)
- Umbrella Corps (fuuuuuuuuuckin skip)
- Resident Evil 7 (PS4 or XB Series X on Game Pass)
- Resident Evil 2 Remake (PC)
- Resident Evil 3 Remake (PC or PS4)

And then there are the CGI movies (not the live action ones) which are canon too apparently.

- Resident Evil Degeneration (set between RE4 and RE5)
- Resident Evil Damnation (prequel to RE6)
- Resident Evil Vendetta (set between RE6 and 7 apparently)

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Oh man. I kinda did this in the leadup to RE2make a few years back so I dunno if I have it in me to replay all these games again so soon. lol

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Aww, poor Gaiden. It's an interesting attempt at a vaguely RPG-ish game (though Sweet Home is ultimately a better take on the same). It's not great, but I had some fun with it.

(By all means skip ORC and UC tho)

Anyway, I always do two RE playthroughs a year (last year's being RE3 and RE3 Remake). Was going to do RE4 this year since it's been a few years and we should be seeing the remake soon enough. I'll hopefully do Village as my second, provided I get a next gen console this year.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I did this leading up to re7, some of them are real turds and I ended up just watching them on youtube.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Aww, poor Gaiden. It's an interesting attempt at a vaguely RPG-ish game (though Sweet Home is ultimately a better take on the same). It's not great, but I had some fun with it.

(By all means skip ORC and UC tho)

Anyway, I always do two RE playthroughs a year (last year's being RE3 and RE3 Remake). Was going to do RE4 this year since it's been a few years and we should be seeing the remake soon enough. I'll hopefully do Village as my second, provided I get a next gen console this year

Will you get it if Village gets announced for PS4/XBO ?

I did this leading up to re7, some of them are real turds and I ended up just watching them on youtube.

I'm kinda dreading and may end up doing the same specifically for RE6. I haven't played it in ages but remember even originally how padded the game felt with multiple chapters being repeated in different character games just from their perspective. That game could have severely used a decent editor.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
That's the plan. I finished RE1 DC yesterday (Jill). Gonna start a Chris playthrough later today.

Not gonna play every single one, but I wanna go through most of them again before Village is out.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Will you get it if Village gets announced for PS4/XBO ?

If it's not a Cyberpunk-level port, sure. I trust Capcom enough to not do that unless the older consoles can handle it.

I'm guessing we'll get a release date at the showcase. I'm kind of hoping for a latter half of the year date, should be able to both find and afford a console by then.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Do RE2 and 3 run well on Dolphin now?
I remember back when I was in a "ripping mood," they were along the games I ripped to play on Dolphin and there were issues with it. Like I'd have to play with an older version of Dolphin specifically for those two games (or maybe it was just 2).

I only have REmake-RE4+Code Veronica on Gamecube and 1-3(Remakes)+ 4,5,6,7 on Xbox One, though. So I couldn't do all of those (honestly, I'm not sure if I'm gonna do any. Need to finish up this 10 achievements thingy).

I still need to play through 7 though. I haven't played much of 6, but I'm not sure if I wanna.

Oct 27, 2017
as someone who played through 1-3 during the psx days, i ended up dropping off of 4 on gamecube fairly early on (honestly i can't remember why) and haven't played any RE since. is there an abridged PC-only list i can consider just to get the main story beats? should i just play 1-6 and wiki the rest? don't need to get into the deep lore.

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
I actually started RE1 HD on ps4 last night because I've been wanting to replay all the main games. Not going to go as indepth as you and will just stick to the main games/remakes tho. It's been a long time since I've played quite a bit of the games.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Yes.

Not only do they run flawlessly, but IMO the GC/Dolphin version is the best way to replay them largely because of this beautiful AI Upscaled HD mod.

www.reshdp.com

RE2SHDP

HD Texture packs for the classic Resident Evil games without seams!

The cube version of RE2 is missing some features from other versions eg the concept art, 3D render gallery from PC/Dreamcast or the Randomizer/EX files from N64, but otherwise it is the best version to play on modern devices.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
as someone who played through 1-3 during the psx days, i ended up dropping off of 4 on gamecube fairly early on (honestly i can't remember why) and haven't played any RE since. is there an abridged PC-only list i can consider just to get the main story beats? should i just play 1-6 and wiki the rest? don't need to get into the deep lore.
Pretty much the entire franchise is available on PC as well.

If you wanted a real abridged version, I would have said to skip RE1/0/2/3/CV cause you get some real condensed summaries of those games in Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, but I don't think those 2 games ever got PC releases.

The side games like any Survivor games and even the Outbreak games can be skipped. Sticking to the numbered games (and Code Veronica) should suffice in most cases.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Only cowards skip Umbrella Corps

XluFAhh.jpg

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I started doing that myself. I bought most of the series when it was on sale as part of the xbox end of the year sale. but god, do I hate the old style camera. It makes navigating a chore. Tank controls I can live with but the camera angles kill my enjoyment and just make the games tedious. I love the remakes of the classic games, so I am hoping that they announce a code veronica remake as it is the only one you can't get on xbox one.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I started doing that myself. I bought most of the series when it was on sale as part of the xbox end of the year sale. but god, do I hate the old style camera. It makes navigating a chore. Tank controls I can live with but the camera angles kill my enjoyment and just make the games tedious. I love the remakes of the classic games, so I am hoping that they announce a code veronica remake as it is the only one you can't get on xbox one.

You can get it on Xbox now. The 360 version is backwards compatible and goes on sale often. Was a late addition.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Damn near all these games have aged poorly and I'm not a fan enough to play the ones I've missed. I'll replay RE4 however.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I haven't completed that many games in the last 5 years combined.

Maybe I'll play re3 remake. But won't commit to anything.

Feb 19, 2018
Resident Evil Damnation is not only the best Resident Evil movie, but unironically one of the best movie adaptions of a video game ever.
Watch it, people. For the glorious Licker and Mr. X action alone.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Started playing PS4 version of REMake (on PS5) last night! Going to keep it simple and mostly just hit the mainline series entries and remasters due to how easily I can access them on my PS5. Just played RE3make in the past few months, so I may skip it.

Yeldres

Nov 6, 2017
Santiago, Chile
The only problem I have with RE2/3 GameCube version, is that you can't skip the door animation, otherwise they'll easily the best version to play those games.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually planning to do this this year anyway, so I'm in. It's a shame there's no way to make the backgrounds in RE1 not look like ass though. Might bring out one of my lower resolution screens just to make it less painful.

Yeldres

Nov 6, 2017
Santiago, Chile
What's the best version of RE2? Dreamcast? GameCube? N64? PSX?
I think the best versions for RE2 are GC and PC.

GC version you can play using the RE HD Seamless Mod, (using Dolphin). Also you can skip cutscenes.

In the another hand, PC version, you can skip the door animation, and the transition between camera angles are smooth, not like the console versions. But you can't skip cutscenes.

So basically, there is not a definite version of this game.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I could see myself replaying most of the mainline series (2 remake, 3 remake, 4, and 7). Would definitely be down for co-op for 5 and 6 I think, but I don't need to play 0 or Code Veronica ever again to say nothing of all of the spin-offs :D

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I think the best versions for RE2 are GC and PC.

GC version you can play using the RE HD Seamless Mod, (using Dolphin). Also you can skip cutscenes.

In the another hand, PC version, you can skip the door animation, and the transition between camera angles are smooth, not like the console versions. But you can't skip cutscenes.

So basically, there is not a definite version of this game.
Gotcha, although I'm not one to skip cutscenes and don't have dolphin on my laptop. I'll likely just pick up a copy on PlayStation. Thanks.

OP, I think I'll join you. At least I'll try.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually might but definitely will skip several games as I don't want to track them down (such as the classic versions) so I'll stick to the remakes and HD versions.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Play in the chronological order OP if its not your 1st playthrough.

Code:
RE0
RE Umbrella Chronicles (Beginnings, Nightmare)
RE1
RE Umbrella Chronicles (Rebirth)
RE Outbreak (Outbreak, Hellfire)
RE Outbreak #2 (Wild Things)
RE Outbreak (Hive, Below Freezing Point)
RE Outbreak #2 (Desperate Times)
RE3 (Part 1)
RE2
RE2 (4th Survivor)
RE Outbreak #2 (Flashback, Underbelly)
RE3 (Part 2)
RE Outbreak (Decisions)
RE Outbreak #2 (End of the Road)
RE Umbrella Chronicles (Death's Door)
RE Survivor
RE Code Veronica
RE Darkside Chronicles (Operation Javier)
RE Dead Aim
RE Umbrella Chronicles (Umbrella's End, Dark Legacy)
RE4
RE4 (Separate Ways)
RE Degeneration - MOVIE
RE Revelations
RE5 (Lost in Nightmares)
RE5
RE Damnation - MOVIE
RE Revelations 2
RE The Marhawa Desire - MANGA
RE6
RE Heavenly Island - MANGA
RE Vendetta - MOVIE
RE7 (Daughters, Beginning Hour, Bedroom, 21)
RE7
RE7 (Not a Hero, End of Zoe)

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going through every RE, but I did just replay RE4 (HD) for the first time since GC and wanted to give my most disliked RE (5) another shot so I'm currently going through that and I plan to go through RE7 before Village releases.

RE4 was about as good as I initially thought. It's still overrated, but the latter half of the game is better than I had remembered it. I didn't quite remember how linear the game was though, it really is a straight line filled with action set-pieces for the most part. It works, but my original thoughts were that is was a bit more complex than it is. It already makes me look at RE5 more favorably, which I dismissed as being nothing but action, but RE4 is the same way just with more cheese and interesting locations.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I play them annually in October, until certain entries bore me to death (Zero, CV, 6)

A friend of mine that loves the series played through the numbered games with me over the last summer since I had only played 4.

These were the three games that almost got us to quit. It took us so long to power through them.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Thinking of playing 6 again. Its been almost 9 years since I played on PS3. Played RE5 last year and it was a fun time playing solo.
The only mainline games I haven't played are Remake, RE3 Remake and Revelations so I may give those a try.
Thinking of also playing RE7 again but on PSVR right before RE8 for refresh run.
And or course I'll play RE4 for the nth time.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'd like to do this someday but it'd take me a year at least, plus I probably wouldn't play originals that have been remade besides maybe RE3.

I will use your list of I ever do decide to start this. I've thought about it for a while but never started.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I remember back when I was in a "ripping mood," they were along the games I ripped to play on Dolphin and there were issues with it. Like I'd have to play with an older version of Dolphin specifically for those two games (or maybe it was just 2).

I only have REmake-RE4+Code Veronica on Gamecube and 1-3(Remakes)+ 4,5,6,7 on Xbox One, though. So I couldn't do all of those (honestly, I'm not sure if I'm gonna do any. Need to finish up this 10 achievements thingy).

I still need to play through 7 though. I haven't played much of 6, but I'm not sure if I wanna.

Fyi, the makers of the Seamless HD edition have their own custom build of Dolphin that you download from their site.

Their version clears up bugs that normal builds of Dolphin have.

Also, OP, for the 1st game, there is a patch for the PC version to make it run better and adds in a few QoL features:

appleofeden.de-doc.com

Classic REbirth

Make retro-gaming great again.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I've just started RE1 on pc. I played this day one on the ps1 a long time ago and still love it. I'll then play 2 and 3, but I'm not a fan of the rest. I'm then going to play 7 as I've been meaning to for quite a while.