• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to buy the game because I don't want to gamble on Wooper/Quagsire not being in there. I don't care if he ends up being in there, still probably won't buy it because I don't want to support that line of thinking.

And lol at the OP thinking any of the original 151 are gonna be cut
Wooper and Quagsire lines are already confirmed to be part of the Galar dex

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Gen4,5,6,7 should not have more than 15 Pokemon each. Sinnoh remakes are coming so gen 4 can shine there.
Regarding gen 1, I can again see that 100 of them are returning again at minimum. Gen 2 should not have many since let's go jhoto will come so 20 out of 100. Gen 3 about 60-70 Pokemon should return.

So the pokedex should be something like this
Gen 1- 100 (I don't want them, but they will be there, game freak loves them)
Gen 2- 20
Gen 3- 60
Gen 4- 15
Gen 5- 20
Gen 6- 20
Gen 7- 15
Gen 8- 100
Regional Pokedex of around 350 mon

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
How about none?

Every Pokemon is somebody's favorite, even a single cut should not be acceptable under any circumstances.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Gen4,5,6,7 should not have more than 15 Pokemon each. Sinnoh remakes are coming so gen 4 can shine there.
Regarding gen 1, I can again see that 100 of them are returning again at minimum. Gen 2 should not have many since let's go jhoto will come so 20 out of 100. Gen 3 about 60-70 Pokemon should return.

So the pokedex should be something like this
Gen 1- 100 (I don't want them, but they will be there, game freak loves them)
Gen 2- 20
Gen 3- 60
Gen 4- 15
Gen 5- 20
Gen 6- 20
Gen 7- 15
Gen 8- 100
Regional Pokedex of around 350 mon
Is there a reason the number of Unova Pokémon is so low when it has the most new Pokémon of all games? I'd reduce Gen 3 by a good 15-20 to allow for more Gen 5

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017
You're not a dog person OP, I'm revoking your dog person license.

Also how can you cut Gloom? Gamefreak peaked with Gloom. It's only rival is Corsola. And you cut that one too!

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
They aren't cutting the mythicals or Legendaries. They're the main vehicle by which Game Freak draws people to promotions and events. What are they gonna offer for serial codes at Target or distribute over wi-fi? A shiny Dugtrio or something?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we now caving and talking about what Pokemon should be cut and or allotting numbers for how many Pokemon each gen will have come through?

Yeesh. This is just pure sadness. I need to save this thread to look back on years from now.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
350 is not enough to sate Game Freaks rage, OP.

There's gonna be 300 Pokemon in the regional dex total, and we all know it. And 100 of them will be from Gen 1.

We're going have to bid over 500 of our monster friends goodbye. The glass is two-thirds empty.

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
Im gonna go with mons like alomola/basculin/mons like oricorio/comfey/dhelmise may get cut
I think legendaries for the most part may get cut

Mythicals would probably get cut as well except probably a few. Gonna miss diancie but shes not as cool if she doesnt have her mega form anyway :/

Im surprised mons like throh/sawk and even avalugg made it in so im pretty optimistic that we are gonna get a good mix of everything

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All previous gen legendaries + starters + mythicals getting cut would be fine with me since these are the most likely to have events / DLC related to them - so not only would that mean they are obtainable, but if their data is patched in, then you could transfer your own over.

OP
OP
Wijuci

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Thanks for the thread OP, you've made it easy for me to ignore some users, including you.

While I totally understand the feeling, the cheer positivity and inate creativity of this thread prevents me from reciprocating with a simple "Same".

So, to stay on topic, do you think it's worth Game Freaks' time to animate a Pokemon like Unown (20+ fucking times) when it only learns one move?

You're not a dog person OP, I'm revoking your dog person license.

Also how can you cut Gloom? Gamefreak peaked with Gloom. It's only rival is Corsola. And you cut that one too!

I guess I'm not a Gloom guy either!
But seriously though, I like it's design, but I feel there are many great, great Grass designs that I would rather keep.

Corsola is too Pacific-y to fit in Galar.

They aren't cutting the mythicals or Legendaries. They're the main vehicle by which Game Freak draws people to promotions and events. What are they gonna offer for serial codes at Target or distribute over wi-fi? A shiny Dugtrio or something?

Same as they also do: they will release new Mythicals.

The old ones are done. Virtually nobody sees them, so it does not make sense to spend time with their animations.

Are we now caving and talking about what Pokemon should be cut and or allotting numbers for how many Pokemon each gen will have come through?

It's not about caving. It's not even about the Purge, there is already a thread covering this subject as a news where people can express their sadness.

This is more of a creative thinking experiment. If you were in GF shoes, how would you go about it to save time and resources?

350 is not enough to sate Game Freaks rage, OP.

There's gonna be 300 Pokemon in the regional dex total, and we all know it. And 100 of them will be from Gen 1.

We're going have to bid over 500 of our monster friends goodbye. The glass is two-thirds empty.

Nah, you're wrong.
They have already shown more than half your 300, and they only revealed what, 10 Galar Pokemons?

I'm willing to bet the Galar Dex will be close to 500.
And I'm also willing to bet they will cut more than half of Gen 1.

Mark this post!

Im surprised mons like throh/sawk and even avalugg made it in so im pretty optimistic that we are gonna get a good mix of everything

Yep, every thing shown so far is pretty even, that's a good sign.

But if they reveal Voltorb I'm gonna start worrying.

this is some quality original content

I can subscribe to this

Thanks!

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've always hated is how people write off Pokémon for being "redundant".
The best thing about Pokémon is that it's a (fictional) living, breathing, world. Just like we have more than 1 type of dog or fish, I don't get why people hate the idea that there are multiple types of fish or dog Pokémon.

Like it's not just the culling that people are hating on these Pokémon. Basculin, the monkeys, and so on, get hate just for existing.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've always hated is how people write off Pokémon for being "redundant".
The best thing about Pokémon is that it's a (fictional) living, breathing, world. Just like we have more than 1 type of dog or fish, I don't get why people hate the idea that there are multiple types of fish or dog Pokémon.

Like it's not just the culling that people are hating on these Pokémon. Basculin, the monkeys, and so on, get hate just for existing.

Cant speak for anyone but myself but its certainly not as fun the 10th time an electric rodent that's similar in its appeal as Pikachu shows up. Even in Gen1 there were multiple mouse/rat inspired pokemon (as well as multiple cats, multiple dragons) so I dunno why people would have an issue with more than 1 type of anything in that sense.

What im trying to say is that sometimes its blatant iteration

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
You cut my Bidoof, now I cut you.

2336D1F4FA0556CE1BFF877FFCDE8170FE9FE58A

OP
OP
Wijuci

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Nothing from Gen 1 will be cut because of course it won't.

Of course they will.
Wanna bet?

I mean, in the very first trailer for the game there was only ONE Pokémon from Gen 1: I think they know they have to lay low for a while after Let's Go.

I totally agree with you (and that's why regional variants are such a great idea).

However, when I talked about redundancy while trying to make a list of Pokémon to purge, it was purely on a regional basis.
It would not be fun for me if all the Regional Mammals were available in the same game to catch. They basically occupy the same gameplay spot with not much to differentiate them.

How is the discussion of which pokemon will be wiped from existence even "glass half full" anyway?

First, they won't be wiped from existence, they will be in Pokémon Home (and Go) until further notice.
Second, the half full glass is the opportunity for us (well, those of us that want to) to use this decision by Game Freak to look at the Pokédex in a different way and see how we would create a diverse and fulfilling list of Pokémon if we had to.

Cutting half the Pokémon is bad.
Thinking critically about stuff is good!

OP
OP
Wijuci

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So they get to hold your pokemon hostage for money, lovely.

Again, I never said it was lovely or a good decision. The paying for Home thing is very problematic and something that is way more worthy of discussion than the decision to purge itself.

Whatever I'ma leave you alone. Good luck with your discussion thing.

Thank you.
I would be happy to discuss more on the hostage situation in the main thread about the topic, if you want to.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
THE STARTERS
655.png

Let's break some hearts.
There are no Pokemon more linked to a region than the Starters, so if I had to purge, it would make sense to remove all of them from Galar.

I won't.

Generally speaking, my gut feeling is that Pokemon who currently possess Mega evolutions are safe from the Purge (because it proves that Game Freaks loves them, and because the Mega designs could potentially be reused for... something).
For this reason, I feel like Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile and Greninja are safe. (they will totally reuse the Non-Mega Ash-Greninja design for... something.)

I also feel like Incineroar is safe. It's mega popular in VGC, it has a spot in Smash, I would keep it.

This means I saved one Water starter, one Fire starter.
My OCD won't let that alone, so I need to save one additional Grass starter. And as much as I love Rowlet, I can't see myself erasing both Gen 2 and Gen 5 starters. And since Let's Go Johto is probably coming, I'll save Gen 5 for now.
Snivy? You're in.

Sorry, Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon, Emboar, Samurott, Chesnaught, Delphox, Decidueye, and Primarina. You and your lines are gone.

Number of starters purged: 36
Total number of Pokemon purged: 116

As far as I remember, the previous gens Pokemon have never been available in the first game of a new generation, so I doubt Incineroar (despite its popularity) is safe. Maybe this will be another rule which is broken but I just don't see any Alolan starter making it. Also the idea of only have one starter from the trio from any region doesn't make sense to me

I personally have a feeling that all the Gen 6 starters will be back this time round as each of them are based on something quite prevalent in the UK - foxes, frogs and hedgehogs (and chesnuts too).

Agree on Gen 2 and Gen 4 missing out as they each have at least one evo line which doesn't really fit with the ecosystem (unless there's a substory about species escaping from a PokeZoo)

Not sure if they'll include another starter set (guess it depends on what the total Pokedex count is) but if they did I think they might go Gen 5 over 3, purely on the fact that gen 3 were included more recently where gen 5 weren't available (US/UM)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, I never said it was lovely or a good decision. The paying for Home thing is very problematic and something that is way more worthy of discussion than the decision to purge itself.

Thank you.
I would be happy to discuss more on the hostage situation in the main thread about the topic, if you want to.
Nah I appreciate it but I'm kinda done with this whole thing.

To actually contribute something though I feel like the fact we're approaching Gen 4 remakes might affect there decision making.

Whether that might make them put more or less Gen 4 Mons in there I'm not sure though.

OP
OP
Wijuci

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I can't believe Maractus got in.
It's really good for diversity's sake but, now, I'm afraid I've no idea what criteria they're using to select the chosen ones.

And the pumpkin got in... I swear if it took Trevenant's spot...

OP
OP
Wijuci

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So.... Mawile is in.

Does it make it more or less likely that Mega evolutions designs will be recycled into Gigantamax forms?

My only issue with this is the turn limitation. Mega Mawile is very good, yes, but a Mega Mawile limited to 3 turns leaves you with a shitty regular Mawile ready to die...
So unless they redo the stats of the regular one, which they could, I don't see the point.

I have the same issue with Lopunny.
I love Mega Lopunny and I used it a ton, but if I only have it for three turns and if I use the first turn to fake out, that's a veeeery limited use.

OP
OP
Wijuci

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I'm quite happy Gastrodon finally made it knto a trailer, a competitive one even better, as this is where it usually shines.

Ok, it was to show it getting an hydro pump in the face (blasphemy!), but still!

Now I really wish they would show Trevenant already... Gourgeist availability makes me nervous...

And while I'm on Gen 6, I can't believe Talonflame is still unaccounted for! Maybe a Galarian form?

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Gastrodon is one of my favorite Pokémon, great design, great cry and lots of fun to battle.

So far GF is at least making a good selection, but I'm still worried it will be gen 1 and 4 biased by a good margin. Gen 1 because pandering, gen 4 because remake is coming.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gastrodon is one of my favorite Pokémon, great design, great cry and lots of fun to battle.

So far GF is at leasting making a good selection, but I'm still worried it will be gen 1 and 4 biased by a good margin. Gen 1 because pandering, gen 4 because remake is coming.

If it's anything, Gen 5 is actually in the lead at the moment with 41 pokemon represented compared to Gen 1's 40.

Now that might change by launch, But it's interesting to even see a distribution like that at this stage.

OP
OP
Wijuci

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018

Me too, it's very fun to use and it's ability is great without being OP (the x4 weakness to Grass helps).

So far GF is at least making a good selection, but I'm still worried it will be gen 1 and 4 biased by a good margin. Gen 1 because pandering, gen 4 because remake is coming.

As KillstealWolf explained, it's very balanced so far!
I hope he doesn't mind if I quote him from the other thread...

Gen 1: 40/151 (26.4% of Gen 1 Pokemon)
Gen 2: 22/100 (22.0% of Gen 2 Pokemon)
Gen 3: 26/135 (19.2% of Gen 3 Pokemon)
Gen 4: 29/107 (27.1% of Gen 4 Pokemon)
Gen 5: 41/156 (26.2% of Gen 5 Pokemon)
Gen 6: 24/72 (33.3% of Gen 6 Pokemon)
Gen 7: 19/88 (21.5% of Gen 7 Pokemon)
Gen 8: 17 revealed so far

See? Pretty good.
What's weird is that 33% of Gen 6 is there... we so few Pokémon.

The percentage of Gen 7 will probably be quite weird too as a huge part of the Regional Dex were Legendaries.

I really don't get why you'd purge only Articuno, OP. It doesn't make any sense to have Zapdos and Moltres but leave the first one out of the game.

It's just less used than the other two, even if it would be really weird to have 2/3 of the trio and I really don't think they would.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Honestly I think just cut all mythicals/legendaries/Ultra Beasts and go from there. They can all come back in the inevitable third game

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
but I'm still worried it will be gen 1 and 4 biased by a good margin. Gen 1 because pandering, gen 4 because remake is coming.
Yeah I'm aware of the current split, but I still fear the last month being "here is all of gen 1/4".
I'm not following your logic. Why would they include most of the Sinnoh Pokemon if they intended on releasing a Gen 4 remake soon after? I would expect the opposite - holding them back from Sword/Shield to increase demand for the remake.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
For the same reason gen 1 and 3 had the most Mega Evolutions in XY.
They gave more Gen III Pokemon Mega Evolutions because they knew a remake was coming and they wanted the focus to remain on those Pokemon. But were Gen III Pokemon disproportionately represented in the Kalos dex?

For reference, the Kalos dex was made up of:
  • 73.5% of all Kanto Pokemon (111/151).
  • 42% of all Johto Pokemon (63/150).
  • 58.5% of all Hoenn Pokemon (79/135).
  • 48.5% of all Sinnoh Pokemon (52/107).
  • 51.2% of all Unova Pokemon (80/156).
So...not really, no.

I could understand the logic if your argument was that more Gen 4 Pokemon will receive regional forms, but it really has no bearing on how many Gen 4 Pokemon will be in the game.

Edit: And considering that they've ditched the National Dex, I'd say it's more likely that they include the fewest amount of Pokemon from whichever game they plan on remaking next. Which might be Let's Go Johto tbh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wijuci

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Now that the game has been out for a month, how well did I do?

THE MYTHICALS

If I had to purge, I would cut all of them.

My reasoning is simple: they are really rare, only a small percentage of the whole user base have them, so it makes little sense to spend time doing the animationf of Pokemon many people won't see at all.

I know Mew will be in Sword and Shield (for $50!) but if it were up to me (which it is, here), it would be gone as well.

Sorry Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Phione, Darkrai, Shaimin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, Magearna, Marshadow, Zeraora, Meltan and Melmetal : you've been purged.

Nailed it!

THE GIMMICK POKEMON

If I had to purge, they should all be gone.

I mean, Unown learns ONE move, it's literally useless, and it has MORE THAN TWENTY forms to animate. Easy to purge.

I'm counting Chansey and Blissey in this category, to remove the minimize gimmick from competitive battles. So Happiny is gone too.

Smeargle should be purged as well from competitive battles, the access to all moves along the Moody ability introduce too much randomness in battles.

Shedinja is the Poster Poké of Gimmicks. So Nincada and Ninjask are gone as well.

Pyukumuku is a nice sea cucumber, but kinda limited in use.

Well, I almost nailed it.
I can't believe Shedinja's line survived and that Pyukumuku got to keep doing whatever Pyukumuku does.

THE COVER LEGENDARIES

If I had to purge, they should all be gone.

The thinking is straightforward: they are the emblems of their respective games and regions, and it makes little sense to find them in Galar.

Sorry, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem, Yveltal (Noooo!), Xerneas, Zygarde, Solgaleo, Lunala, Cosmog, Cosmoem, and Necrozma.

Additionally, I feel like Mewtwo will be in the game, but it should really be purged (I know, it technically isn't a cover legendary).

Nailed it too.
For now.

THE OTHER LEGENDARIES

This is where is gets interesting. And HARD. And REALLY SUBJECTIVE.

For this category, I would argue the decision comes to usefulness. Which is a very subjective criterion.

For example, Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres should be rounded up together right? If one is in, the others should be too.

But... if Zapdos and Moltres are usefull competitively, Articuno really is not. So, if I had to purge, and if I were to choose, and even if it seems unnatural, I would keep only two thirds of the trio.

Bye Articuno.

For the same reason, let's keep Suicune and purge Raikou and Entei.

This is where I got too creative for my own good.
Or maybe I just liked Zapdos and Suicune too much.

The Golems are gone. Sorry, Regice, Registeel, Regirock and Regigigas.

Sorry, Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie. You're useless.

Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus should be gone, though, because of their impact on competitive plays. Also, they have two forms, so even less animations to do. Yay!

The Tapus? Gone. I love them, but they do NOT fit in Galar or anywhere else than Alola. So if Game Freaks wants to use this excuse... Sorry Koko, Lele, Fini and Bulu, I will miss you all. Well... except you, Koko.

And finally, I love the Ultra Beasts. But if you want to argue about who fit and who doesn't... they don't. They are aliens, by design. So Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka and Blacephalon, I will miss you.

Well... except you, Kartana.

Nailed it.

I'm on two minds on Latias and Latios. So I say, let's keep them, they are not too strong and we need dragons.
Cresselia and Heatran are competitive mainstay, and Heatran has a unique typing, they should stay.

Nope!
But, in my defense, Game Freak was less concerned about competitive play than me, as will be clear later on.

I feel like Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion should stay because we need good fighting types.

Wrong!
For now...

Type: Null and Silvally (yes, they are technically legendaries) should be gone for story related reasons (they are Alolan made and, hum, can't fly to Galar).

You've gotta admit it doesn't make sense, right?

THE STARTERS

Let's break some hearts.

There are no Pokemon more linked to a region than the Starters, so if I had to purge, it would make sense to remove all of them from Galar.

I should have stopped there.

I didn't.

Generally speaking, my gut feeling is that Pokemon who currently possess Mega evolutions are safe from the Purge (because it proves that Game Freaks loves them, and because the Mega designs could potentially be reused for... something).

For this reason, I feel like Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile and Greninja are safe. (they will totally reuse the Non-Mega Ash-Greninja design for... something.)

I also feel like Incineroar is safe. It's mega popular in VGC, it has a spot in Smash, I would keep it.

This means I saved one Water starter, one Fire starter.

My OCD won't let that alone, so I need to save one additional Grass starter. And as much as I love Rowlet, I can't see myself erasing both Gen 2 and Gen 5 starters. And since Let's Go Johto is probably coming, I'll save Gen 5 for now.

Snivy? You're in.

Sorry, Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon, Emboar, Samurott, Chesnaught, Delphox, Decidueye, and Primarina. You and your lines are gone.

I still can't believe only Charizard made the cut.
For now. I'm a little bit better if we look further down the line, but not by much.

THE EEVOLUTIONS

They are safe.

Easy.

THE PIKACLONES

They are not safe.

Azumarill, I love you, but there are too many water types already. Take Azurill and Marill with you and have fun in Pokemon Home for the time being.

Plusle and Minun? Nothing makes you special anymore, we know what double battles are.
Emolga? You're cute, but that's not enough.

Dedenne? You're not even cute. And you missed Play Rough too many times during my Pokémon Y playthrough so, this time, it's personal: Bye.

Nailed it.

Togedemaru? I love you, so this is also personal. Also good typing and useful in VGC.

Mimikyu? You're not even a PikaClone. You're better. You should be in every games.

Nailed it.

Pachirisu? You're a World Champion, you've earned your spot in Galar.

I was SO CLOSE to getting them all right!

THE REGIONAL BIRDS

Spearow and Fearow, you're just inferior Pidgeys, and you don't even have Mega evolutions so Game Freak doesn't like you. Bye.

Tailow and Swellow? You don't even feel like regional birds, as Wingull and Pelipper better fit Hoenn. You have not reason to exist. You're just birds my dudes. Bye.

Hoothoot? You're safe. Hopefully with a better regional evolution than Noctowl.

The Toucanon line never really fulfilled its potential, I can see it being gone.

Nailed it.
(Well, except the Noctowl regional evo.)

Talonflame is very good and has been nerfed perfectly, no reason to get rid of it.

Wrong.
As I said earlier, many competitive mainstays were cut.

Staraptor is good and fine and should stay. Pidove, Tranquill, and Unfezant are the opposite of good and fine and should go.

I blame Game Freak, it doesn't make sense, this choice is backward!

THE REGIONAL MAMMALS

Everyone and their mother know Rattata, it has been in enough games. If I had to purge, it and Raticate should be gone.

Sentret and Furret? Gone.

Bidoof and Bibarel? Gone.

Patrat and Watchog? Gone.

Yungoos and Gumshoos? Gone.

You see my point. The Regional Mammals should stay regional.

Correct!

Zigzagoon and Linoone? Gone.

Technically correct!
(The best kind of correct.)

THE REGIONAL BUGS

If I had to purge, I would purge Caterpie, Metapod and Butterfree (but Game Freaks disagrees).

I would keep Beedrill and friends, because of the Mega.

Ledyba and Ledian, gone.

Wurmple, Silcoon, Cascoon, Dustox and Beautifly? All gone.

Kriketot and Kricketune? Gone.

Sewaddle, Swadloon and Leavanny, gone.

Scatterbug, Spewpa and Vivillon... gone? I guess? There are too many Vivillons.

Except for Beedrill (because of my ridiculous reasoning), I was correct on all counts.

I'm not purging Vikavolt and its line, they are too good.

I was especially correct here.

And now, let's do this primary type by primary type.

Which I shouldn't have done because I'm now unable to list all Pokémon purged by type (haven't found the list everywhere).

THE GHOST POKEMON

There are only 46 ghost-type Pokemon, the second rarest type. I would argue they are all needed for variety's sake.

At least Spiritomb is gone, so I was wrong.
But I feel not too many Ghosts were purged actually, so I was kinda correct.

THE ICE POKEMON

It's the rarest type.

Let's keep them all.

Spheal is gone, you guys!
(And Jynx, I guess, which I could totally have predicted.)

THE DRAGON POKEMON

The third rarest type, with only 50 of them. I say we keep them all.

Druddigon is one lucky motherfucker. And Turtonator, what even are you?

I was wrong.
Not only about Druddigon, who cares, but I can't believe they cut Dragonite and Garchomp. I would never have guessed.

THE FAIRY POKEMON

There are as many Fairies as there are Dragons. So I would reach the same conclusion and keep them all.

Jigglypuff is gone, you guys!

THE ELECTRIC POKEMON

Pikachu will be there. Forever and ever. Not reason to argue about it.

It's funny because there are only 51 electric Pokemon, and I didn't want to erase a single Dragon or Fairy, with almost the same representation, but I won't be so kind here: Voltorb and Electrode have no purpose.

Well, no shit.

Stunfisk is gone, though.

I'm counting this as a yes.

I can't believe I'm keeping Zebstrika and Tynamo, but here we are.

What was I thinking?

THE STEEL POKEMON

Come on, Klink, Klang and Klinklang. I'm nice, I have nothing against objects Pokémon, but I have my limits.

I stand by my harshness, even if I was wrong.

I can't believe they cut Metagross!

THE DARK POKEMON
Poochyena and Mightyena are uninspiring and I don't feel too popular, if I had to purge they wouldn't be missed.

Zorua and Zoroark, which I maybe should have counted in the Gimmick Pokemon section, won't be missed either.

Yeah!

I would purge Inkay and Malamar. Not because I don't like them, but so I don't have to put my Switch upside down to evolve them.

I hate that I have to put my Switch upside down to evolve them.

THE FIGHTING POKEMON

Mankey and Primeape? Gone.

Hitmoonlee and Hitmonchan? Gone. And yes, now Tyrogue only evolves into Hitmontop, which is the weirdest thing I did in the whole Pokédex so please do be mad.

Yeah, that was an ambitious call on my part.

I like Conkerldurr. But if I have to choose between its lines and Machamp's, it's over. Sorry, Timburr and Gurdurr.

Turns out I didn't have to choose between the two lines!

Crabrawler is only saved by its Ice-type evolution.

It wasn't

I hate Throh and Sawk, but they are in the game.

But seriously, I hate them.

And Game Freak hates me.

Passimian has no such luck. Sorry dude, I'm having a blast using you in VGC but I'm the only one.

Maybe Game Freak doesn't hate me?
(I'm not using it until Incineroar comes back, though.)

THE GROUND POKEMON

Sorry Sandshrew and Sandlash, I'm... keeping you because of your Alolan form. But that's it.

Same for Diglett.

Same for Marowak.

Yeha, they were heartless with there newer designs here.

Rhyhorn, though? Sorry not sorry. Bye, Rhydon.

And Rhyperior? Know it's your fault I purged your whole line.

I wish!

Baltoy and Claydol, I... just don't get you.

Turns out "I just don't get you" was not a criteria of interest for Game Freak.

THE ROCK POKEMON

Sudowoodo, you're a gimmick I enjoy, but I'll be okay without you. Sorry Bonsly.

Binacle, Barbaracle, Nosepass and Probopass, you make me uncomfortable.

Wrong, and can't believe Binacle made it.

Gigalith is a better Golem than Golem, so Geodude, Graveler and Golem are gone.

Called this one perfectly.

Omanyte, Omastar, Kabuto, Kabutops, Lileep, Cradily, Anorith, Armaldo, Cranidos, Rampardos, Shieldon, Bastiodon? Let's say Fossils are regional.

That too.

Tyrantrum and Aurorus are saved by their secondary typings. Aerodactyl because it's awesome and has a Mega.

Not that, unfortunately.

Lunatone and Solrock couldn't even make it into Sun and Moon, so it's clear Game Freak doesn't care.

Wrong!
But why?

THE POISON POKEMON

Ekans, Arbok and Seviper are just snakes.

Yep.

Grimer and Muk I'm keeping for the Alolan form, but Koffing and Weezing can go.

Got this one backward, and I miss Alolan Muk.

Gulpin and Swalot I don't get. Same as Garbodor and Trubbish. Same as Stunky and Skuntank

I'm actually quite happy to have been wrong about Garbodor.

Zubat... can stay because of Crobat. I wish it could evolve directly into Crobat but I said I was done doing weird stuff to the Pokédex after Tyrogue.

Would have been amazing to have been right!

I feel like I could live without Mareanie and Toxapex. Let's say they are too linked to the Alola ecosystem to be found somewhere else.

They lived to get haunted by Corsola, I couldn't have predicted that!

THE FIRE POKEMON

I'm only keeping Vulpix for its Alolan form.

Ponyta and Rapidash are not as lucky, and they're just horses. Horses on fire, yes, but horses.

Magmar is wrong, which is just too bad for Magby and Magmortar (who is sooo wrong, too).

Slugma and Magcargo can MagcarGO! (Sorry, it's getting long).

Pansear? Simisear? LOL.

Litleo I really wanted to love but couldn't. I say we get rid of it and Pyroar.

Not bad!

Sorry Torkoal, we won't need weather setters now that Dynamax is a thing.

Yeah, wrong here, I should have kept it.

Heatmore I actually forgot existed until I worked on this list.

Numel is lucky that Camerupt has a Mega.

Can't believe Heatmore made it, and I really have let go of Megas earlier.

THE BUG POKEMON

I won't lose any sleep over most of the Bug Pokemon here.

Volbeat and Illumise. Burmy, Wormadam and Mothim. Karrablast, Escavalier, Shelmet and Accelgor. Venonat and Venomoth. Spinarak and Ariados. Shuckle. Combee and Vespiquen. Dweeble and Crustle.

I'm removing them, and we still got a ton of them left.

52% correct!
I take that as a victory.

THE PSYCHIC POKEMON

You know in your heart that Drowzee and Hypno are creepy.

Wynaut and Wobbuffet are gimmicky.

Chingling and Chimecho are on the lower end of object Pokemon.

Elgyem and Beheeyem are too forgettable.

I would remove Mr. Mime but we need Fairy types.

Natu and Xatu just look weird in 3D.

Swoobat and Woobat are the worse version of already unloved Pokemon.

I was very wrong here, even Mr Mime was kinda wrong.
At least Game Freak agrees that Drowzee and Hypno are creepy.

THE GRASS POKEMON

There are so many of them, time to clean up.

The whole Oddish line must go. Sorry Gloom, Vileplume and Bellosom, it was between you guys and the Bellsprout line, but I'm keepin them instead which seems more used.

What's the opposite of correct?

Sunkern and Sunflora. Cherubi and Cherrim. Carnivine. Maractus. Tangela and Tangrowth. Morelull and Shiinotic. All gone.

I'm keeping Skiddo and Gogoat, because good goat designs, but they really don't deserve it.

What's with my and bad prediction lately?

Sorry, Exeggute and Exeggutor. Alolan Exeggutor does NOT fit in Alola. Same as Tropius, even though I love it.

Pansage and Simisage. LOL.

Saved by logic, good, accurate logic.

THE NORMAL POKEMON

So many to choose from.

So, Ditto, gone. Yes, I said it. We never really play as Ditto. It's weird.

And yes, I know, Ditto is just there to fuck. But doesn't it feel wrong somehow?

I won't change my mind!

Aipom and Ambipom, I thing I just don't like monkeys, guys. (But, #TeamGrookey for some reason.)

Dunsparce: why are you?

Lickitung and Lickilicky will live forever in fanart, but not in game.

Gone are Stantler. Skitty and Delcatty. Spinda. Zangoose. Castform (yay for less animations!).

Lillipup, Herdier and Stoutland. Furfrou. I swear to you I'm a dog person.

Doduo and Dodrio were not worth getting an Alolan form, they must go.

Girafarig.

Deerlink and Sawsbuck must go to save much, much animation workload.

I was very on the mark here, go me!

I'm keeping Chatot but I'm not sure why.

Kecleon can stay. Audino too, thanks to its Mega.

Why do I keep doing that to myself?

THE WATER POKEMON

There are currently 133 Water-type Pokemon. There won't be when I'm done.

Let's start with Seel and Dewgong. You guys are barely Pokemon in the first place. Same with Tentacool and Tentacruel.

Clamperl, Huntail, Gorebyss, and its illegitimate child Luvdisc can all go.

Panpour and Simipour. LOL.

Finneon and Lumineon belong to the "just fishes" category. Bye.

Same with Basculin. Mantyke and Mantine. Alomomola. Relicanth. Bruxish (a fish with too much make-up).

Yeah.
Eff you Baculin, Mantyke and Mantine, you fishes.

If I had to choose between the Shellder and Krabby lines, I would keep Shellder.

So Krabby and Kingler are gone. They're just crabs!

Who doesn't like crabs, though?

If I were in charge, I would NOT have kept Goldeen and Seaking. WTF Game Freaks, why?

I feel like Wailord is a HUGE issue for the developpers when they want to implement new features, and yet they kept them in Sword and Shield. I don't get it, and I certainly don't keep Wailmer and Wailord.

To this day, I still don't get it.

Remoraid and Octillery never lived up to the potential of their original armored design, they can go.

Wooper and Quagsire are just "there".

I just hate Barboach. So... sorry Whiscash.

Wrong.

Corsola? You're gone too.

And aren't we all happy about it?

Aaaaaand I'm done.
I managed to remove almost 350 Pokemon without too much effort, which would decrease the workload a lot.

Who knew I would be conservative in my purge?

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Mythicals are in the code, so they could be back as well.
Corsola is also in the game.