• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One Piece Readthrough Week 1

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Ozuu2qS.jpg

Hello all! So something I've been wanting to do now for ages is to do a sit down re-read of the entire series, but considering life keeps me busy these days it's hard to squeeze in time to binge-read something I've already become acquainted with over the years. I'm sure most here are the same. 😆

So, what exactly is this readthrough going to entail? Well, let me lay out some groundwork rules to explain what we're going to do:
  1. Starting with Volume 1, we're going to read 1 Volume a week. The thread will be updated every Thursday.
  2. Every week the discussion will solely focus on that specific Volume...
  3. ...but if you discuss anything that takes place AFTER the Volume of the Week, put it in spoiler tags!
  4. New readers and re-readers are both welcome here, as well as any opinions on these volumes. Stay civil!

9fpJreo.png

What is One Piece about?

Generally speaking, One Piece is about a boy named Monkey D. Luffy who dreams of being the King of the Pirates. To do this Luffy has to attain his ideal crew, which happens to be a journey in of itself. He's also a rubber man, eating a Devil Fruit that gives him the power to stretch any part of his body. So, what exactly about One Piece that resonates with fans on the level it does today?

As the series goes on - even in the first volume - the true nature of the series unravels. Even though the series is wacky, at its core it's about fighting oppression. Whether this enemy is a rival pirate like Alvida, or a Marine captain like Morgan the point remains the same. As you can imagine, these themes escalate as the series goes on into even grander and larger stories.

That isn't to say the wackiness of the series isn't important as well. One Piece is a series that is insanely fun to read, even ignoring the deeper themes that the series showcases. The characters remain silly throughout the entire story. Despite this, there's enough content for everyone in One Piece. Like edgy characters? One Piece has got it. Like bishonen pretty boys? It's got that too. Like battle-thirsty characters who love nothing but to fight? Have it in spades! Do you love gag characters? Gags everywhere!

On top of that, One Piece has a bunch of mystery boxes, and the series spends a lot of it's time resolving these things in both expected and unexpected ways. There is always the feeling of something greater coming in One Piece, even if that isn't really showcased all the well in the first few volumes of the series. The theory and discussion community for this series is absolutely massive; from youtube, to reddit, to various forums and groups inside of forums (such as Era! 😊 ).

One Piece starts out as a hybrid of Wizard of Oz and Dragon Ball, but by the time of the recent chapters it's turned more into A Game of Thrones (just without the rapey stuff). The growth of the series as well as the characters that inhabit it is astounding, and most fans consider the series to retain it's quality over the years.

8mcc3q4.jpg

Where do I read One Piece?

Fear not, you don't have to pirate the series! It's surprisingly easy to read One Piece officially. I'll rank from best to worst for our readthrough (I own the entire series physically so I'll be reading those).

Shonen Jump: For $1.99 a month, you can read it on the Shonen Jump App/website, as well as many other Shonen Jump titles.
MangaPlus: You can read the first three chapters for free here, in case you want to just dip your toes into the series.
Amazon Listing for Vol. 1: If you want to legally purchase the series physically or digitally.
Amazon Listing for All-in-One Vol. 1 - 3: If you want to legally purchase an physical omnibus version of the series.
Amazon Listing for Box Set: East Blue and Baroque Works Vol. 1 - 23: If you're committed and want the cheapest option, this is the way to go. You save quite a bit of money this way if you want to read this for the long run in a physical medium.

*Obviously there are other sources outside of Amazon to buy One Piece, including the Shonen Jump website itself. :)

x1Z0DsA.png

What if I want to watch One Piece, but I want to participate in this thread anyway? 😈

>_>

Ugh ok, fine. You don't like manga. I get it. Manga can be a hard sell to a lot of people. Or perhaps you're someone who just wants to rewatch the series. I dunno. So, where can you view it officially?

Crunchyroll: Watch free but it has ads.
Funimation: Watch free but it has ads.
Netflix: June 12th both the East Blue and Alabasta Sagas will be available on Netflix in all Western countries!
Hulu: On here but it's the shittiest of the bunch tbh wouldn't recommend above the other two.
Amazon Listing for Collection 1: Has Episodes 1 - 26.

There's also uh...

ewjyyuts7td41.jpg

A live-action series produced by Netflix, but you'll have to wait a bit for this one.

Volume of the Week:

9yTIIf7.jpg

Volume 19: Rebellion

167. Battlefront
168. Rainbase, Town of Dreams
169. Strongest Warrior in the Kingdom
170. It Begins
171. Koza, Leader of the Rebellion
172. Rebellion
173. Bananadile
174. Mr. Prince
175. Liberation
176. Rush!!

Watchthrough: One Piece Anime Episodes 105 - 110

Volume's Read:

9DOnsad.png

Q&A:

Hey you guys are on Volume 43 but I just want to get started! Am I too late?

Absolutely not. If you're a re-reader you can just jump in with us at the volume. If not, catch up at your own pace. XD We'll await your arrival to the pirate summit!

I just finished Volume 1 and I want to read more! What should I do?!?!

Do it, nobody is going to stop you. Just make sure that you keep it in spoiler tags until the Volume of the Week changes!

What's up with "Zoro" and "Zolo"?!?!

Unfortunately this dates back to the days of 4kids changing the names of all of the characters. Viz in their infinite wisdom decided to do a bit of brand synergy by changing his name to "Zolo." 🙄 Till this day, the translation is retained for consistency sake in the official manga. By all intents and purposes however, his canon name is "Zoro."

What's with the text in between the chapters? Are they necessary reading?

Not really, but it does give you a fun insight into who Oda is as a person. Some of the SBS' later on in the series have lore and other canon information in them, but you really don't have to worry about them too much to be honest.

Week 1:
35pcyOu.jpg

One Piece, Vol. 1: Romance Dawn

001. ROMANCE DAWN - The Dawn of the Adventure: A young boy named Monkey D. Luffy swears to become the Pirate King, accidentally eats the Gomu Gomu no Mi, and is given a straw hat by his idol, Shanks. Ten years later, Luffy sets out on the high seas.
002. That Guy, "Straw Hat Luffy": Luffy meets cabin boy Koby and defeats his abusive captain, Alvida.
003. Introducing "Pirate Hunter Zoro": Luffy and Koby arrive at an island where Roronoa Zoro is imprisoned. Intent on having him in his crew, Luffy meets him and a girl who reveals why he was captured.
004. Marine Captain "Axe-Hand Morgan": Luffy goes to retrieve Zoro's swords, but enrages the captain of the Marine Base, Morgan.
005. Pirate King and Master Swordsman: Morgan and the Marines go to kill Zoro and Koby, and Zoro remembers the promise he made to his deceased friend Kuina. However, Luffy saves them and Zoro tells him he will join his crew.
006. The First Person: Luffy and Zoro battle against Morgan, Helmeppo, and the Marines.
007. Friends: Luffy and Zoro leave peacefully, and Koby joins the Marines. He and the Marines thank the two for stopping Morgan.
008. Introducing Nami: Luffy is captured by a bird and Zoro meets some of the Buggy Pirates. On an island, Luffy meets Nami, who is running away from some pirates.

Watchthrough: One Piece Anime Episodes 1 - 5.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I re-read the entire thing last year and recently re-read the current arc.

Best comic book ever.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Wrong forum but I'm in the middle of my 4th re-read; around chapter 800 again. If I time things right I can finish around the time the next chapter comes out (or the one after that).

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's in the wrong forum. XD Mod response time is slow for some reason. I've been having blackouts all day and as soon as my internet came back on I just clicked make thread. In the meantime, I'm starting my re-read while I'm waiting!

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I love love love love discussing the little quirks and details in volumes so I might join in.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my God I'm in! I'm still slowly watching the TV series (episodes away from marineford but on pause to prevent major burnout) but this sounds awesome

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh this is fun. My country is starting already to the New World, it feels nice to re-read One Piece from start.

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Did my re-read of Volume 1 just some thoughts:
  • I know people are hard on the early chapters, but I genuinely feel One Piece has a pretty damn good start in retrospect. The first chapter is straight up iconic, and the Romance Dawn arc is actually a pretty good start. A lot of valuable lessons told here for da kids! 😆
  • I dunno if this is a weird Viz-ism or not, but Coby mentions that there's a "Gum-Gum Tree" in one of the chapters when a lot of fans think all Devil Fruits come from one Devil Fruit Tree. Maybe this isn't the case.
  • When Alvida was in silhouette for a page, she looks more like her later appearance when she reappears in Loguetown. Wonder if Oda planned the sexy Alvida in some capacity this entire time.
  • Captain Morgan's statue seems to be a reference to the famous Rio de Janeiro Jesus statue lmao. Guy was really full of himself.
  • Zoro's backstory has never really sit right with me. I know this is a controversial take, but I really wouldn't mind if Kuina was secretly sent off to be a Revolutionary instead of just dying. There's even a line in the flashback where Zoro mentions that he desires to compete for greatest swordsman against her. MAKE IT HAPPEN ODA!!
  • I mentioned this in the OP, but the first volume doesn't shy away from a lot of the later tenets of the series. The theme of oppression is abundant in this book. Alvida oppresses Coby, Morgan oppresses his entire Marine branch and the town he's in, Kuina is oppressed by the sexism of her father, etc. A lot of the stuff depicted in this first volume gets expanded upon thematically in so many ways it isn't even funny.
  • This image from Chapter 7...

mFTvymR.png
  • ...always rubbed me in a weird way. It isn't bad but I feel like Oda had some characters planned here that just never made it to the manga.
Goodreads score: 3/5

BAM bitches!

Last edited:

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I dunno many people are doing this weekly, but I'll try. I never knew if i wanted to commit to reading or watching one piece.

Gonna sub to shonen jump cause fuck it, haha

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I read and post thoughts later when I'm not at work, just trying to look like I am work sometimes.

Don't know if my bosses will like me reading manga.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like this OT would've rolled better in correlation with the Netflix series, actually. A look back at OP's roots.... as Netflix more than likely slips all over them. XD

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like this OT would've rolled better in correlation with the Netflix series, actually. A look back at OP's roots.... as Netflix more than likely slips all over them. XD
To be fair it's going to take a good two years to get the readthrough finished lol. This thread will be available once the Netflix series comes out I'm assuming.

Though I'm not against do a redux of the thread either.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Read the first two chapters and enjoyed them a lot, naturally. I think Chapter 1 is a really good start that sets a promising foundation and that opinion has only been reinforced by seeing more and more of how newer series start their run in Shonen Jump. Get a good sense of what being a pirate should be about for Luffy and what he should and shouldn't fight for.

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Read the first two chapters and enjoyed them a lot, naturally. I think Chapter 1 is a really good start that sets a promising foundation and that opinion has only been reinforced by seeing more and more of how newer series start their run in Shonen Jump. Get a good sense of what being a pirate should be about for Luffy and what he should and shouldn't fight for.
I also love how Luffy sticks to his no-alcohol policy even though getting ridiculed for it by Shanks. "A real pirate doesn't drink milk!" Yeah fuck you Shanks, of course they do! EOS better have Shanks drinking some damn milk.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly this is going to be in part coloured by how I got in via the anime first, but I feel like there's a lot that was gained via the anime's introduction vs that of the manga. The manga, while enjoyable in its own right, is much more functional in terms of the elements it introduces, and the setting especially. Meanwhile that first episode knew just how to amp things up in terms of spectacle for a good first impression, particularly with showing off Luffy's abilities. But then, I suppose that equally makes sense if you're skipping (temporarily) past the admittedly gorgeous spread of Luffy decking the local sea monster. Never even realised there's part of the spray in the sound effect!

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I have been wanting to re-read One Piece for a long time (and also catch up). Count me in!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I don't think I have time to join in on re-reading the series, but I'll at least be following this thread.

It should be really fun to look back upon the series after all these years.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shout out to these two really simple but cool panels from Chapters 1 and 2:
5U5Zlhdl.jpg

zzWgwsal.jpg

Love stuff like this where the author takes away the background and it just focuses on the relationship between the people on screen. Gonna have to keep an eye out for these kinds of panels cause this is too cool (there's at least one really big and important one I know is coming up like 20 volumes from now lol).

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Lucky Roo is still the coolest member outside Shanks on his crew just for this moment.

WCyggLo.jpg

The scene of Shanks giving off the hat still gives me chills.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Make sure to listen to this gem when you're done reading Chapter 1.

(Bruhh Dale saving me from the double at the last second lol!)

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I literally just read through and caught up last week finally. I'd like to re-read some of the earlier arcs so I might hop on.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Man Morgan is such an ass, giving Marines like Smoker a bad name. Just wanting to kill a kid over nothing.

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Man Morgan is such an ass, giving Marines like Smoker a bad name. Just wanting to kill a kid over nothing.
Yeah they really hammer in how corrupt the Marines are early on. In terms of being a pure dick, Morgan is up there even though his power level is low. Even Akainu would condemn the statue thing just sayin'.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Seeing Luffy contemplate he might be delusional about becoming Pirate King to Koby kinda surprised me.

Like I know he's more thoughtful and intelligent than he lets on but it still weird to see.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 3
Man Helmeppo sucks. And Luffy knew how to deliver a really satisfying punch from the start of the series lol.
Zoro's introductory panel is so badass. And he becomes likable pretty quickly.

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Luffy contemplate he might be delusional about becoming Pirate King to Koby kinda surprised me.

Like I know he's more thoughtful and intelligent than he lets on but it still weird to see.
Yeah I forgot to mention it but that moment stood out to me as well! Luffy was already on some woke revolutionary shit with him straight up telling Coby he's either going to achieve his goal or he'll die.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have time to join in on re-reading the series, but I'll at least be following this thread.

It should be really fun to look back upon the series after all these years.

I want to go back and visit certain bits of it, so I might reread some arcs with y'all, but count me in on participating in the thread regardless.

Oct 25, 2017
this is a good idea. i only reread this once during the time when it was off for a month. I feel like almost everything is still ingrained into my brain though.

even though the first few arcs are considered kinda rough, I still think theyre the best indicator for if you're going to be into this at all because otherwise you'd be asking people to read 300+ chapters to get to where it starts to really go up in quality

Oct 25, 2017
also to completely new people - you are not wrong, this is a very, very long series with little fat. but even if you were analyzed every panel it would still be MUCH less time then reading the Dune, Harry Potter or Song of Ice and Fire books. If you think of it like that and not something you have to blaze through to "catch up" its a better mindset, and I can really think of no series that better rewards its readers for sticking with it and paying attention.

Oct 25, 2017
Great idea for a thread. I hope it's littered with screencaps and more musings! Don't forget to threadmark each volume for easy navigation! I'm gonna try to follow along, since I've been 75% anime only.
I love how the English dub does this entire scene in terms of dialogue.

"I'm saying guns aren't for threats, they're for action."

The Dub is a treasure. I'll still watch the subs first, but as soon as the dubs come out I rewatch all my favorite moments.

The Dub just nails Robin's plea here.

I wish I could find the dub for this scene, because Sonny Strait killed it for this part. The anguish and tears felt real, and is equal to the Japanese version to me.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
6 chapters in Luffy already trusting his crew to take care of scrubs when he's focused on something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.