• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
"We can ensure excellent British-Japanese relations for years to come!"
pedro-monkey.gif
yeeeep any time a line like that came up in the first game it was a lot of sharp sucking air through teeth

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
The one thing I'm very disappointed about with Case 2-3:

I don't think they should have made it so obvious that the masked man was Kazuma (with both characters knowing it was him under the mask). It would have been such an amazing twist instead if it came out of nowhere or if they slightly hinted towards it being someone else. Instead, he reveals the mask and it's like...yup, that's Kazuma... :P
I actually am really glad they didn't try to make it a mystery. For the player, if a random masked dude showed up, it would obviously be Kazuma, there is no other possibility really. It would just be frustrating if the other characters didn't catch on. I thought the way they did it was way more fun. It made me feel like the characters and player were in the same headspace.

Mar 30, 2019
Just wanted to say this is one of the most tempting threads for spoiler clicks for me ever. I'm up to 2-3 and loving it. Keep on with the fan-gushing, I will eventually read the remaining spoilers as I earn them lmao.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Finished 2-3 so time to talk about the thing i hate!
I hate that Kazuma is alive.

I know a lot of people had problems with 1-2 and wanted Kazuma's death to have more meaning or whatever. But to me, 1-2 was incredible because it was by all counts a pure tragedy: there wasn't any hidden machinations, no deeper meaning, no fake out. They lost their best friend in what amounted to an accident (well, manslaughter) , and everyone had to deal with that. And since there was no spirit mediums in this setting, he really was gone forever. It made a lot of moments & motivations more poignant for me. In 1-2 alone, that part where Ryunosuke realizes that no it wasn't a "pure" accident and that part where he tells Nina that you're responsible for his death and you have to live with that burden were so good.

So now here's Kazuma. Surprise! He's back!

It ruins 1-2 entirely for me and even though *the characters* thought he's dead for GAA1, it just takes a lot of wind out of my sails. No matter how good the next 2 cases are, this is going to eat at me.

I was seriously hoping it'd be something like oh it's a brother or something but nope....just kazuma. He's back. Didn't even have to deal with amnesia very long....though building off my last set of 2-3 musings I can easily see a "game 2, of 3" meant to have way more of the "Apprentice" before the reveal. The last line of the case being "it was like one chapter ended but another one beginning" was exactly in line with the final line of 1-5 lol.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
I actually am really glad they didn't try to make it a mystery. For the player, if a random masked dude showed up, it would obviously be Kazuma, there is no other possibility really. It would just be frustrating if the other characters didn't catch on. I thought the way they did it was way more fun. It made me feel like the characters and player were in the same headspace.

I legit thought it was Wilson from 1-1 up until Ryunoske said he knew it was Kazuma

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Yeah, that was real good. The moment where you have to name the culprit and you go from "I have no idea" to "Wait, it couldn't possibly-" to "Holy crap, it all makes sense!" over the course of a few seconds is a series highlight for me.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The one thing I'm very disappointed about with Case 2-3:

I don't think they should have made it so obvious that the masked man was Kazuma (with both characters knowing it was him under the mask). It would have been such an amazing twist instead if it came out of nowhere or if they slightly hinted towards it being someone else. Instead, he reveals the mask and it's like...yup, that's Kazuma... :P

I mean, it was obvious though. The moment the Masked Apprentice appeared in front of Ryunosuke for the first time I immediately pegged him as Kazuma. Then Ryunosuke did the same just a few seconds afterwards.

I'm glad that both Ryunosuke and Susato recognized him instantaneously. The mask did very little to cover his true identity and it would have honestly been infuriating to see both main characters act dumber than they should be just for the sake of a twist. Them just knowing the identity of the Masked Apprentice and being confused by what the hell was going on with that was far more interesting, in my opinion.

Haha yeah a friend & I were commenting on the timeline during GAA1 and just going "...hhhheeeeyyyy WW1 is like 10-15 years off huh"

"We can ensure excellent British-Japanese relations for years to come!"
pedro-monkey.gif
To be fair, it's possible WWI/WWII didn't happen in the AA universe. Or at least, Janet Hsu would like to think so haha

I mean, it closely follows our own world, but it's still a fantasy Earth where spirit mediums are real (and revered) and fictional countries like Khura'in and Zheng Fa exist.

The incidental articles on the various newspaper clippings we get throughout the duology also do not at all correlate to how they happened in real life. For instance, one article is talking about germ theory replacing miasma theory, but that happened in the mid-1800s, not during the turn of the 20th century. The Great Exhibition took place in 1851. Also, the Old Bailey was constructed six years after Queen Victoria died (1907); it's absolutely not a Victorian-era building lol.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finished 2-3 so time to talk about the thing i hate!
I hate that Kazuma is alive.

I know a lot of people had problems with 1-2 and wanted Kazuma's death to have more meaning or whatever. But to me, 1-2 was incredible because it was by all counts a pure tragedy: there wasn't any hidden machinations, no deeper meaning, no fake out. They lost their best friend in what amounted to an accident (well, manslaughter) , and everyone had to deal with that. And since there was no spirit mediums in this setting, he really was gone forever. It made a lot of moments & motivations more poignant for me. In 1-2 alone, that part where Ryunosuke realizes that no it wasn't a "pure" accident and that part where he tells Nina that you're responsible for his death and you have to live with that burden were so good.

So now here's Kazuma. Surprise! He's back!

It ruins 1-2 entirely for me and even though *the characters* thought he's dead for GAA1, it just takes a lot of wind out of my sails. No matter how good the next 2 cases are, this is going to eat at me.

I was seriously hoping it'd be something like oh it's a brother or something but nope....just kazuma. He's back. Didn't even have to deal with amnesia very long....though building off my last set of 2-3 musings I can easily see a "game 2, of 3" meant to have way more of the "Apprentice" before the reveal. The last line of the case being "it was like one chapter ended but another one beginning" was exactly in line with the final line of 1-5 lol.
STRONG AGREE!!

It's easier to accept considering what scenarios it will facilitate in the last half of the game, but this reveal will always annoy me to a degree. Asogi's death in the first game was such an important tone setter and motivator for Naruhodo. Deciding to carry on Asogi's will still could have worked if 1-2 had ended on a high note catching some nefarious killer that had it out for Asogi, but I think it would've felt more playing to the "it's a video game!" narrative to have Naruhodo decide to become a lawyer after that. Like the two events of that scenario, "avenging Asogi" and "follow in Asogi's footsteps" don't organically lead to each other I feel, especially with Naruhodo's initial aversion to being a lawyer. Asogi's death being so meaningless and abrupt is what made the idea of his lost dreams so much more tragic, and makes the desire to carry on in Asogi's stead such a powerful motivator for Naruhodo. He doesn't want to be a lawyer; he "has to". That's such a fantastic localization choice for that line. But now it has been hurt by him surviving. I don't think it ruins 1-2 per say, but it absolutely took a lot from it.

On the bright side it provides some very fascinating scenarios of its own that ultimately I think makes his return worth it. Like, before I even started playing 2-4 and had just finished 2-3, I thought to myself, "we're here because Asogi died, but now he's back...what do I do now?" And that in itself is a very engaging premise and perfectly in tune with Naruhodo's character arc.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it's possible WWI/WWII didn't happen in the AA universe. Or at least, Janet Hsu would like to think so haha

I mean, it closely follows our own world, but it's still a fantasy Earth where spirit mediums are real (and revered) and fictional countries like Khura'in and Zheng Fa exist.

The incidental articles on the various newspaper clippings we get throughout the duology also do not at all correlate to how they happened in real life. For instance, one article is talking about germ theory replacing miasma theory, but that happened in the mid-1800s, not during the turn of the 20th century. The Great Exhibition took place in 1851. Also, the Old Bailey was constructed six years after Queen Victoria died (1907); it's absolutely not a Victorian-era building lol.
yeah Ace Attorney is definitely...selective in what its world does, and GAA in particular really loves this but it also really loves things that make a lot of sense for the actual time period it's approximately supposed to be in and considering other countries absolutely deal with war, assassinations, and so on... and how this one really plays up the drama of the fragile politics its kinda like....i feel it is supposed to be hanging over the heads of all this haha!

STRONG AGREE!!

It's easier to accept considering what scenarios it will facilitate in the last half of the game, but this reveal will always annoy me to a degree. Asogi's death in the first game was such an important tone setter and motivator for Naruhodo. Deciding to carry on Asogi's will still could have worked if 1-2 had ended on a high note catching some nefarious killer that had it out for Asogi, but I think it would've felt more playing to the "it's a video game!" narrative to have Naruhodo decide to become a lawyer after that. Like the two events of that scenario, "avenging Asogi" and "follow in Asogi's footsteps" don't organically lead to each other I feel, especially with Naruhodo's initial aversion to being a lawyer. Asogi's death being so meaningless and abrupt is what made the idea of his lost dreams so much more tragic, and makes the desire to carry on in Asogi's stead such a powerful motivator for Naruhodo. He doesn't want to be a lawyer; he "has to". That's such a fantastic localization choice for that line. But now it has been hurt by him surviving. I don't think it ruins 1-2 per say, but it absolutely took a lot from it.

On the bright side it provides some very fascinating scenarios of its own that ultimately I think makes his return worth it. Like, before I even started playing 2-4 and had just finished 2-3, I thought to myself, "we're here because Asogi died, but now he's back...what do I do now?" And that in itself is a very engaging premise and perfectly in tune with Naruhodo's character arc.
Mhm mhm agreed on a lot of that first part.

nnnnot so on that second part honestly. Nothing about how that left really made me think we'd be left listless or anything; we're lawyers now and we're still adhering to that philosophy.
The idea a question would even come up about that didn't enter my mind because I figure Susato & Runo are too busy thinking about wow...kazuma is here and there's clearly a weird cover up and stuff like that, too.

How frustrating. I'm still looking forward to the rest of the story but what a sour note.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
STRONG AGREE!!

Definitely agree that Asougi's return making Ryunosuke have an existential moment would have made an interesting premise. But 2-4 doesn't play it that way so far and is more interested in the mystery of his return.

I also agree with how his return sort of cheapened the impact of 1-2 for me but I do trust Shu Takumi's twists. It's just that while I get Asougi as a cool character, and I do see him as such, I never really got the appeal? People online seem to fawn over him and much of the TGAA artwork feature him over Susato, Herlock, and Iris to the point I am just so surprised by this amount of love over his way.

Also I do remember someone (Janet?) saying AA takes place in an alternate history where Japanese interment camps never happened, so I wouldn't be surprised the two world wars never happened in the AA universe (but everywhere seems to have a fucked up judicial system)

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I always had a feeling Kazuma would've come back at some point.
Never trust a character death if you don't see their bodies lol.

But I think they handled it in a way that's very satisfactory. Dude we knew did "die" in a way.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got to the second trial of 2-3. Mostly randomly throwing shit at the wall to guess at stuff here:

Most of the intrigue on this case is on the wax/professor stuff and not the core kill. I'd guess somehow one of the people was a wax figure when they did a switcheroo but I have no idea how that really happened.

Clearly though the professor's identity is extremely important. The figure is missing the head so we can't identify it, when we find the head it has a locked mask on, and I now just at the very start of the pre-trial got an autopsy report that blanked the name out. Given that they said the kills were all via hounds, this should be the hound of the baskervilles Iris couldn't publish, and Mikotoba had a copy for some reason. Now with AA moon logic I will assume the professor somehow survived and is kickin somewhere, so I will guess it's either Mikotoba or...something, since he was in Britain before. Kazuma has a bunch of sketch surrounding him too and I feel like he will somehow be the professor even if the age wouldn't make sense.

I'm interested to see where this all goes though. The animations on Drebber are hilarious.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, Asougi as the prosecutor. I should have seen that coming.

I still don't know what his plan here, though I do like the more serious tone of the trial. And THANK GOD the jury system isn't back for now. Fun concept, but in many interesting trials, it just felt like it slowed the pace to a halt.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion (just starting 2-4) that this package of both games is my favourite AA game. Not perfect, but the one I've enjoyed the most (so far).

Agreed. I'd probably be pretty upset if it were dropped here as two separate games like it originally was in Japan; they really work perfectly as a package deal. Even now, I'm convinced this game trumps the original AA trilogy in nearly every way: more likeable characters, better soundtrack, (mostly) better cases - especially the latter half of GAA2, which encompasses the best set of cases in the entire series bar none - and the Sholmes deduction segments are officially my favorite AA gimmick of all; they're not super deep, but super polished and very funny at times.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Just made it to 1-5 yesterday and enjoyed my way up there. Great game so far. I am hyped for the conclusion of the first game.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Been listening to the soundtracks quite a bit, and finding it harder to go back to the older games soundtracks after it. The orchestra and composition are so good.

Aprikurt

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 29, 2017
Been listening to the soundtracks quite a bit, and finding it harder to go back to the older games soundtracks after it. The orchestra and composition are so good.
I kind of wish they'd gone one step further with Trilogy HD and done orchestrated remixes. Cornered would sound amazing.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Speaking of the orchestra soundtrack, I have to really squint my ears to be able to listen to it, as the music is so, so low in volume compared to the overbearingly LOUD dialogue clicky-clacky noises.

Upon fiddling around with the audio in the options/settings, it makes very little difference … 😔

I am playing on portable mode, so I'd imagine some of you folks are able to enjoy this soundtrack on television.

And I have only just arrived in Great Britain to begin case three — goodness knows how some of you folks have finished the entire game already!

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of the orchestra soundtrack, I have to really squint my ears to be able to listen to it, as the music is so, so low in volume compared to the overbearingly LOUD dialogue clicky-clacky noises.

Upon fiddling around with the audio in the options/settings, it makes very little difference … 😔

I am playing on portable mode, so I'd imagine some of you folks are able to enjoy this soundtrack on television.

And I have only just arrived in Great Britain to begin case three — goodness knows how some of you folks have finished the entire game already!

if you're playing on PC, there's an excellent mod that fixes this. hopefully it gets patched for consoles, i've seen a lot of people complaining about it and it's too bad because the music really is stellar

edit—doy you said portable mode so of course you mean switch. I've heard it's better with headphones, at least, but hopefully it can get patched!

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
I was about to say that Van Zieks survived the assault unscathed because his assailants' bullets weren't made out of silver and/or blessed by a priest...but going by his hooded apprentice it now seems more likely he deflected them with the power of the Dark Side.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Greggy got murdered??? A reminder that playing this game during lunch break on a working day is a bad idea.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
TEMSIK SHOUTOUT literally squealed like a fanboy.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Okay finished GAA2 and something clicked for me at the end.

I always thought it was odd Gregson was so willing to tank his entire career to protect the international secrets by making a deal with a murderer, but I think he knew it would expose the Reaper and thus himself.

What he didn't realize is that the communique that was so important to that trial was Stronghart signing his death warrant!

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

I always thought it was odd Gregson was so willing to tank his entire career to protect the international secrets by making a deal with a murderer, but I think he knew it would expose the Reaper and thus himself.

What he didn't realize is that the communique that was so important to that trial was Stronghart signing his death warrant!

yeah, it's so well done. going back through the cases and looking at gregson's involvement knowing what he was really up to is really fun, there's a lot of odd behavior that's easy to miss that makes complete sense in retrospect.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Yeah that was brutal when I realised that. Beautifully realised, complex character though.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I love the Ace Attorney series, played every game except AAI2, I just always wished that the dialogue flow was a tiiiiny bit faster.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I love the Ace Attorney series, played every game except AAI2, I just always wished that the dialogue flow was a tiiiiny bit faster.
Thanksfully, this game allows for (relatively) shorter auto-skip (0,5 seconds) and you can toggle an option to be able to make text appears nearly instantly, even text you haven't read yet.
That being said, I did feel that dialogue flow issue during my GAA playthrough...

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Thanksfully, this game allows for (relatively) shorter auto-skip (0,5 seconds) and you can toggle an option to be able to make text appears nearly instantly, even text you haven't read yet.
That being said, I did feel that dialogue flow issue during my GAA playthrough...
Yeah I don't mean the text boxes, but the actual dialogue.
When every character has to make a comment on every tiny bit of new information, it gets a bit tedious.
I think that's one of the reasons, why it always takes me weeks to finish a AA game.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Had one of those "well, can't really sleep much, might as well go play more..." nights and uhhh ended up pushing through and finishing 1-5! So some very haphazard sleepy thoughts now that I had some time to type it...

• Overall, very strong finish to the first game! I didn't think it'd come together this well despite the vague impressions saying as much, but it did. Lots of good stuff with the cast that I always really liked, connections to the earlier cases starting to have some payoff, Naruhodo starting to be more confident, all I could really want knowing that 2 exists.
  • I was really not enjoying Windibank's whole "Extremely Ready To Commit Suicide Guy" routine at all, so I was kinda hoping/expecting that he'd end up being the victim. But seeing the flashback with Gina makes me sad we didn't get to see more of him first, in the end... That combo would have been fun to see more of.
  • 1-5's jury was really great, the best yet. I have no idea whether I should take their comments on who's been picked as just joking about how they can't afford to make 6 new characters each time or like... an actual fix is happening here, lol. In any case I think the "I'm actually directly related to this case" coincidences worked a lot better than 1-4; even though you still had to rely on the luck of them being there it felt more like you were working with what you could and not 1-4's exclusively ridiculous luck being the entire basis of all your arugments... even if there was still some of that.
  • Maybe this is just me and it's a very small thing, but I wish they were a bit clearer about the 2 different store cameras earlier on. The whole time I was thinking "...can you just give us the other camera's photo?" expecting we'd need it to do a proper stereoscope look at the moments before the murder; turns out, no, it really is just the single photo stuff that mattered here. And the cameras were actually completely different views. Whoops.
  • This isn't really a specific to this case thing, and maybe it's just I'm just still not reacclimated to what these games are like due to the case structure in this one delaying it clicking, but... van Zieks attitude kinda wore real thin for me at points? Like for someone who's going on about Japanese conjurers deceiving people or whatever, the least you could do is make sure you're not presenting complete bullshit all the time? At some point you're either 1. so gullible you believe literally everything any supposed witness says as long as they're not the defendant, or 2. knowingly are working off of false testimony, and either way it's just not something that makes me feel like you deserve all this respect from the judge!
  • I was in "ok I'm really enjoying the wrapup but also I would realllllly like if we can get this done by the time I have to work..." mode when they got to see Susato again, so that sudden morse code reveal was a fucking gut punch out of nowhere. I got chills. Really making it that much harder not to jump into 2!
  • ...on that note, not telling people really important things you know about their parents sure runs in the family, huh? Maybe more justifiable than Phoenix's kids, but... hmm. Well, at least it's certainly going to come up compared to that, lol.

I need to resist jumping into 2 right away since I'd like to make sure I play Twelve Minutes first (gonna be some fun tonal whiplash there), but it's really tempting now...

Last edited:

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this last night and dug the games a lot. I've gone back to the original trilogy, of which I've only played the first game.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finished this last night and dug the games a lot. I've gone back to the original trilogy, of which I've only played the first game.
Awesome to hear, but I'm compelled to warn you, as an ardent fan of the 2nd game, the 2nd game is ROUGH. But I swear to you it if you can hold strong it is absolutely worth your time

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What are these "Haah"s from Ryonosuke supposed to mean? I don't think I've ever seen this anywhere.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Partway through GAA2-3 and one thing I'm noticing with 2 in particular is that there seem to be a lot more music themes for individual characters.

Speaking of GAA2-3, oh boy...

I don't think I've ever been so thoroughly baffled by what's going to happen next in an AA game. There are so many moving pieces that the actual experiment where the victim was apparently killed is almost a background event right about now, what with Drebber and his connection to Tusspell's and the Professor. I still can't tell if Drebber's a red herring or not, but he's clearly not shy about blowing up evidence with little regard for human life.

If Courtney Sithe isn't a villain now then I'm almost certain she will be in the future. I doubt she'll be done with after this case either way, we still presumably need to be properly introduced to the masked girl in her office.

The possible identity of the Professor is worrying me a lot because they're going through a hell of a lot of effort to hide his face, so he's almost certainly someone we already know. My guess is that Drebber definitely saw him escape from the grave and the police's insistence otherwise is a big cover up. There's a possibility that whoever was executed was not the actual culprit, and their escape was effected by someone who knew better (probably Sholmes and Wilson), so my only possible guess is the Professor is Mikotoba or maybe the Japanese judge, since we know they were in London during that whole affair. In any case, it's beginning to become clear that Stronghart must be involved in this and the Reaper legend somehow, masterminding some long-spanning plot to effectively take total control of the British justice system with Sithe and her forensic team under his thumb.

And then there's Kazuma! I almost forgot about him in amongst all the other stuff. I don't believe for a second that he's got amnesia, but he's probably being manipulated/blackmailed by Stronghart somehow. That's usually how Ace Attorney goes, but I couldn't begin to guess what leverage he would have or what possible purpose he has in grooming him for prosecutorhood. Maybe he's worried that Van Zieks might go rogue on him and he needs to replace him with a more loyal peon? That might be why Gregson's getting shuffled off to Paris too.

Jesus, there's a lot going on here for a bloody Case 3 of all things. I'm almost scared to proceed to the trial now...

What are these "Haah"s from Ryonosuke supposed to mean? I don't think I've ever seen this anywhere.

They're meant to be sighs, I'm pretty sure.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Partway through GAA2-3 and one thing I'm noticing with 2 in particular is that there seem to be a lot more music themes for individual characters.

Speaking of GAA2-3, oh boy...

I don't think I've ever been so thoroughly baffled by what's going to happen next in an AA game. There are so many moving pieces that the actual experiment where the victim was apparently killed is almost a background event right about now, what with Drebber and his connection to Tusspell's and the Professor. I still can't tell if Drebber's a red herring or not, but he's clearly not shy about blowing up evidence with little regard for human life.

If Courtney Sithe isn't a villain now then I'm almost certain she will be in the future. I doubt she'll be done with after this case either way, we still presumably need to be properly introduced to the masked girl in her office.

The possible identity of the Professor is worrying me a lot because they're going through a hell of a lot of effort to hide his face, so he's almost certainly someone we already know. My guess is that Drebber definitely saw him escape from the grave and the police's insistence otherwise is a big cover up. There's a possibility that whoever was executed was not the actual culprit, and their escape was effected by someone who knew better (probably Sholmes and Wilson), so my only possible guess is the Professor is Mikotoba or maybe the Japanese judge, since we know they were in London during that whole affair. In any case, it's beginning to become clear that Stronghart must be involved in this and the Reaper legend somehow, masterminding some long-spanning plot to effectively take total control of the British justice system with Sithe and her forensic team under his thumb.

And then there's Kazuma! I almost forgot about him in amongst all the other stuff. I don't believe for a second that he's got amnesia, but he's probably being manipulated/blackmailed by Stronghart somehow. That's usually how Ace Attorney goes, but I couldn't begin to guess what leverage he would have or what possible purpose he has in grooming him for prosecutorhood. Maybe he's worried that Van Zieks might go rogue on him and he needs to replace him with a more loyal peon? That might be why Gregson's getting shuffled off to Paris too.

Jesus, there's a lot going on here for a bloody Case 3 of all things. I'm almost scared to proceed to the trial now...

They're meant to be sighs, I'm pretty sure.
I freaking love Dr Sithe's theme. Its so creepy and foreboding, but at the same time sounds kinda lonely.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I freaking love Dr Sithe's theme. Its so creepy and foreboding, but at the same time sounds kinda lonely.

I haven't heard much of Drebber's theme but it's very sinister yet catchy, really striking the right balance between science and magic. He's a lot more extra than I was expecting and, given Shu Takumi's obvious love for stage magic and its practioners, I can tell he's going to be a very fun witness.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017

I don't think there was much of a concern that Gregson was tanking his career. As he repeats in 1-5, he's just ~doing his job~, performing his "duty." He's an agent of the state who was tasked with protecting the state's secrets. As far as he was concerned, Ryunosuke was the lunatic for challenging that idea. The jury was 100% willing to buy into whatever Gregson told him as long as he emphasized his role as England's supposed guardian. And that court—and the gallery, representing the English public—was already convinced of the inherent and immortal guilt of the "street urchin," making her an easy scapegoat for Gregson and his bosses.

This only blows up in his face because Ryunosuke spits on the idea and lays bare every secret. In the end, Gregson's punishment was fairly minor, too.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Just reached the murder scene part of the Investigation in 1-5. Man, I'm taking so long with this game lol and there's the second one next. I want to start NEO TWEWY soon 😭

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there was much of a concern that Gregson was tanking his career. As he repeats in 1-5, he's just ~doing his job~, performing his "duty." He's an agent of the state who was tasked with protecting the state's secrets. As far as he was concerned, Ryunosuke was the lunatic for challenging that idea. The jury was 100% willing to buy into whatever Gregson told him as long as he emphasized his role as England's supposed guardian. And that court—and the gallery, representing the English public—was already convinced of the inherent and immortal guilt of the "street urchin," making her an easy scapegoat for Gregson and his bosses.

This only blows up in his face because Ryunosuke spits on the idea and lays bare every secret. In the end, Gregson's punishment was fairly minor, too.
"We investigated ourselves and found we did nothing wrong"

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to starting this. Already loving some of the characters but boy do the dialogue skip options bug me. It's either too easy to skip or very slow and the touch screen progressing dialogue without an option to turn off drives me crazy.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the duology!

I have to say the final case was pretty predictable. Stronghart was sus from the very beginning and i was kinda disappointed that Genshin was innocent of the murders because i thought that took away some of Van Zieks' development, BUT THEN. I certainly did not expect that Klint would have been the 'Professor' all along! So that added something different to Van Zieks, so i suppose ultimately my disappointment evened out with that revelation.

Stronghart continuing to run the trial at the 3/4 point after admitting to a bunch of crimes and also Kazuma continuing on as prosecutor after admitting to being an assassin (even though he didn't follow through) could only happen in the Ace Attorney universe lol. Herlock's triumphant checkmate having Her Maj Vicky listening the whole time was a hype moment!

Everything about Iris' family situation was great too. We were actually so close to her and Susato being sisters if Mikotoba hadn't been called back to Japan and had continued to raise Iris. But it's also very cute that Herlock was eager to raise her when Mikotoba told him the situation. It's all quite lovely and sad.

I've come to love the great family. I think the end for all the characters was very appropriate. I'm glad that Ryunosuke decided to become his own person, and i'm glad that Kazuma can now continue his study in Britain with no baggage. And i hope that Susato can combat the misogyny of the Japanese courts and become the first female lawyer sometime!

The credit scenes were so cute and funny as wlel. Particularly Sousuke and Rei defending Hosonaga, like what lol! And Iris giving Herlock a note calling him 'Daddy' it's really too cute. I very much enjoyed my time with these two games and i'm very grateful to finally be able to play another Shu Takumi game after so long.

I think this duology might be my favourite AA game.

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the duology!

I have to say the final case was pretty predictable. Stronghart was sus from the very beginning and i was kinda disappointed that Genshin was innocent of the murders because i thought that took away some of Van Zieks' development, BUT THEN. I certainly did not expect that Klint would have been the Reaper all along! So that added something different to Van Zieks, so i suppose ultimately my disappointment evened out with that revelation.

Stronghart continuing to run the trial at the 3/4 point after admitting to a bunch of crimes and also Kazuma continuing on as prosecutor after admitting to being an assassin (even though he didn't follow through) could only happen in the Ace Attorney universe lol. Herlock's triumphant checkmate having Her Maj Vicky listening the whole time was a hype moment!

Everything about Iris' family situation was great too. We were actually so close to her and Susato being sisters if Mikotoba hadn't been called back to Japan and had continued to raise Iris. But it's also very cute that Herlock was eager to raise her when Mikotoba told him the situation. It's all quite lovely and sad.

I've come to love the great family. I think the end for all the characters was very appropriate. I'm glad that Ryunosuke decided to become his own person, and i'm glad that Kazuma can now continue his study in Britain with no baggage. And i hope that Susato can combat the misogyny of the Japanese courts and become the first female lawyer sometime!

The credit scenes were so cute and funny as wlel. Particularly Sousuke and Rei defending Hosonaga, like what lol! And Iris giving Herlock a note calling him 'Daddy' it's really too cute. I very much enjoyed my time with these two games and i'm very grateful to finally be able to play another Shu Takumi game after so long.

I think this duology might be my favourite AA game.
I'm...confused by your first paragraph, I'm afraid.

Klint isn't the Reaper, that's Stronghart & Gregson. Klint was the Professor or at least the person performing the bulk of the murders at Stronghart's orders.

I'm also confused why you would be disappointed Gershin was framed, especially in regards to Van Zieks. If Genshin was guilty that would arguably given justification to Van Zieks' prejudice toward the Japanese.