• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion (just starting 2-4) that this package of both games is my favourite AA game. Not perfect, but the one I've enjoyed the most (so far).

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I just finished GAA1 and the first case in GAA2, and wanted to write down my impressions. Overall I enjoyed GAA1, though it just felt like a middle-of-the-road Ace Attorney. None of the cases were really amazing, but none were terrible either. The cast of characters were amusing, but nobody was particularly memorable to me. I do think the gameplay was excellent. The deduction sequences were fun, and the simultaneous witnesses and summation examinations added nice variety to the trials. As with other AA games, there were a few frustrating moments where I knew what the issue was, but it took some trial-and-error to pick the right piece of evidence and statement; and a few other moments where I realized something well ahead of the script. After playing GAA1 I kind of want to replay Professor Layton Vs Ace Attorney, but first I really want to get through GAA2.

So now I'm very intrigued about the broader story, and how all the cases are connected together. 1-2 and 1-4 felt like the weakest cases in GAA1, but hopefully there's a pay-off!

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Why is everyone hating on 1-4? 1-2 was dog food in comparison so far.

1-4 is boring tho, that whole deduction during the investigation felt pointless.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I just finished TGAA 1. I think it has one of the weaker collections of cases in the series. And yet saying that doesn't do the game any of the justice it deserves. The setting, the sense of depth and dimension in the world, and the cast of characters are all wonderful. These are some of my favorite characters in the series now, and I am excited to begin the sequel right away. I'm reminded of when I finished the first Ace Attorney nearly fifteen years ago now (hard to believe it's been that long) and couldn't wait to get my hands on Justice for All right away.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I just finished GAA1 and the first case in GAA2, and wanted to write down my impressions. Overall I enjoyed GAA1, though it just felt like a middle-of-the-road Ace Attorney. None of the cases were really amazing, but none were terrible either. The cast of characters were amusing, but nobody was particularly memorable to me. I do think the gameplay was excellent. The deduction sequences were fun, and the simultaneous witnesses and summation examinations added nice variety to the trials. As with other AA games, there were a few frustrating moments where I knew what the issue was, but it took some trial-and-error to pick the right piece of evidence and statement; and a few other moments where I realized something well ahead of the script. After playing GAA1 I kind of want to replay Professor Layton Vs Ace Attorney, but first I really want to get through GAA2.

So now I'm very intrigued about the broader story, and how all the cases are connected together. 1-2 and 1-4 felt like the weakest cases in GAA1, but hopefully there's a pay-off!

Feeling the exact same way. I finished GAA2-1 and in the middle of GAA2-2. Hoping this case and the rest of GAA2 will answer all of the questions from the first game!

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
GAA1 honestly felt like a prelude to GAA2. The shout-outs to the first AA trilogy (won't list them to avoid spoilery-ish materials) and, of course, the actual Sherlock Holmes novels are legion. Overall, a fantastic duology.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Every time Soseki alluded to being involved in a second case where there was poison I thought maybe they were referencing an Escapade or something, but no, it looks like we're having a flashback episode next.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Natsume can die in a fire. So fucking annoying. And as if these games already didn't overdo it with the white flashes.
It's an even worse Larry Butz except that one was sometimes funny and an actual character.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
The "Okay I guess killing myself right now is the only solution" gag with Windibank has made me laugh every time so far lol

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the incredibly polarized responses to Soseki makes me want to see the version of GAA2 Takumi originally planned where he was in every single case (the rest of the team talked him out of it)

(Also I love Soseki)

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Natsume hate bums me out. I get that such an animated character isn't going to jive with folks but I thought how they spun a story out of the author's struggles in England was both clever and touching. In particular, I like how he contributes to Ryunosuke's understanding of what he can offer as a lawyer. (GAA1-4 mild spoilers)The scene where he steps out of the darkness of his cell after realizing that he's hearing Japanese really struck a chord with me.

Seeing the incredibly polarized responses to Soseki makes me want to see the version of GAA2 Takumi originally planned where he was in every single case (the rest of the team talked him out of it)

(Also I love Soseki)
oh my god what

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it's finally here

the one

the only

the myth

the legend

the updated autopsy report, baby

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
One element of the localization I don't like it's Susato's voice. They went all in with an English accent, bit the character is Japanese and she learned English from English people. Honestly, shed sound more like this

youtu.be

Shop in Japanese! MUST-KNOW Convenience Store Phrases

Support Misa on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/japaneseammoA former convenience store employee teaches you all the useful convenience store phrases used b...

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
2-3
this case is so intense and crazy the jury barely even talks at all through the entire thing

I think you only have to convince them to change their vote once in the entire trial

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
it's finally here

the one

the only

the myth

the legend

the updated autopsy report, baby

Yeeeeahhh!

Also, how dare at Soseki-hate. I wasn't a fan at first, but he really grew on me.

(I would not have been okay with him in every case tho lmao)

I'm feeling really bereft without the game to play tonight. 🥺 I miss everyone.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good thing I'm playing this on the Switch in bed, so I can flip the console around to read the tattoo instead of trying to crane my neck

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeeeeahhh!

Also, how dare at Soseki-hate. I wasn't a fan at first, but he really grew on me.

(I would not have been okay with him in every case tho lmao)

I'm feeling really bereft without the game to play tonight. 🥺 I miss everyone.
Leaving Baker Street was like leaving a family I spent the week with, on a magical (murder filled) holiday

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
One element of the localization I don't like it's Susato's voice. They went all in with an English accent, bit the character is Japanese and she learned English from English people. Honestly, shed sound more like this

youtu.be

Shop in Japanese! MUST-KNOW Convenience Store Phrases

Support Misa on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/japaneseammoA former convenience store employee teaches you all the useful convenience store phrases used b...
Everything you're describing about Susato is also true of her voice actress in the localization.

Polygon Interview with the game's VAs

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles shows main characters Ryunosuke Naruhodo and Susato Mikotoba getting off at a train station in London. Rina Takasaki, the voice behind Susato in the game's English voice track, says that she could relate to her character's journey through that moment. "I was also a teenager when I landed in Britain for the first time, full of ambition, determination, and admiration for the foreign culture," she recalls to me over email.
"To be able to understand [Susato's] personality and the thought process, it is very helpful that I fully understand Japanese language and culture," Takasaki says. She was born and raised in Japan, so not only does she understand the language, but she also knows a lot about Japanese culture, mannerisms, and ways of speaking that let her bring nuance to her role.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Finished the game a couple of hours ago and am currently going through the extra content.

Man, what a ride that was. The second game took the task of handling all the setup the first game did and completely aced it. I very much enjoyed every bit of my playtime with this collection and am sad to finally have reached the end. I love the setting, characters, and music all so much!

I'm so glad I was finally able to experience these games after waiting for over half a decade for them to be officially localized. It was absolutely worth the wait and I couldn't be any more satisfied with how everything resolved.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've been playing a lot of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters and Psychonauts lately, but I'm still making gradual progress in 2-3.

Started the 2nd investigation. I'm glad Susato is back. I have suspicions that Kazuma is Barok's assistant, but I also feel like that's what they want to me think and it's not actually him.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Finished Case 4.

Okay, the pacing, the investigating and the actual mystery were a lot better this time around. I appreciate the case being just one investigation and one trial since it made the length of the whole Chapter "just right". No dragging or moving too fast, so kudos for that. Even though I kinda figured out how the incident went halfway through, all the steps done required to reach the end felt appropriate.

However, there are still a few things that bothered me about this case. Bullet list time!

- I mentioned Soseki was annoying at first with the anime poses, but he grew on me. He was just at the wrong place at the wrong time, so it was satisfying to see him walk free in the end.

- Ace Attorney has always been about child prodigies, with Edgeworth, Franziska, Klavier, Athena, and probably a couple more. But here we have 10-year-old Iris Wilson who is an author and also has a degree in Medicine? I think that this is pushing the "Just go with it" card a bit too much.

- The entire marital fight thing was executed terribly. It's established that John and Joan were fighting in their apartment and they inadvertently caused the series of events that lead to the accidental stabbing, which is fair enough. What I take issue with is how the whole thing is played for laughs for the most part. The fact the fighting caused a fire in the apartment, that SHE THREW A KNIFE AT HIM, that he can barely defend himself due to being disabled in one leg, it really made the situation a lot more serious than what the game made it to be. The spilling of the hot tea is probably funny the first time since it looks like an accident, but when she starts doing it over and over again and you can tell she's doing it on purpose, no, fuck that. You're physically abusing your husband and if you don't go to jail for the stabbing (since it was proven it was an accident), you should at least pay for this. When she collapsed at the end of the trial and John caught her I wasn't laughing, I kept thinking his leg was going to break.

- I honestly felt kinda bad for Roly. Guy just wanted to spend a lovely anniversary dinner with the wife, and of all things THIS had to happen. Not justifying what he did, but I kinda get what he did. It's like getting called to go to the office on your day off. What does bother me about him moving the body is that he's shown not to be particularly buffed, but the victim was of rather large proportions. Did he seriously drag her across the street? Because I can't help but think that that would have caused a lot more injuries, not to mention risk of making the current stab worse. That woman is seriously lucky to have survived.

All in all, an okay case. I'm liking the main cast (Ryunosuke, Susato, Van Zieks, Sholmes, Iris and the Judge), but the cast for this case all ranged from okay to annoying. Joan might be my least favorite character in the game yet, and definitely a bottom tier character for the series as a whole.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It is weird thinking there might never be another stretch in my life where I can play two fresh AA games back-to-back. We're back to the binge in 1-2 days every 3-4yrs or something.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Well, that's it then. I finally explored all the extra features and gotten all the accolades. It's finally time for my to shelve this game. What a ride it all was. 😌

Rukudo

Dec 9, 2018
It's crazy to me that that Capcom took this long to localize this duology. GAA1&2 are right up there with the best of the franchise. Unbelievable.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
omg it took the burnt book for me to realize the victim might be the dudes wife?! How dumb am I xD

Well, that's it then. I finally explored all the extra features and gotten all the accolades. It's finally time for my to shelve this game. What a ride it all was. 😌
Hopefully I didn't spoil it to bad for you my man, can you give some insight on if I was totally off base? Lol

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
omg it took the burnt book for me to realize the victim might be the dudes wife?! How dumb am I xD

Hopefully I didn't spoil it to bad for you my man, can you give some insight on if I was totally off base? Lol
You're fine. In fact, you completely misread that lol

I'm reading about how other people who already beat the game are reacting to that whole exchange in the spoiler thread and I'm dying XD

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's crazy to me that that Capcom took this long to localize this duology. GAA1&2 are right up there with the best of the franchise. Unbelievable.

Realistically these kinds of decisions are rarely based on the perceived quality of the game, more the predicted profitability. We can only hope that this sells well enough that Capcom are vindicated in their decision to localise.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

...what?

You know the "maid" (who's in the jury) is the landlord's wife, right? Revealing that was the focus of a Dance of Deduction?

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Everything you're describing about Susato is also true of her voice actress in the localization.

Polygon Interview with the game's VAs
Didn't know that about the actress, but it doesn't come through in the voice. Of course, having taught English in China for over half a decade, I guess I just wanted something specific due to knowing how accents can mix due to how where people learn English from (I know China isn't Japan obviously, bit as that video shows, the same concept applies when Japanese people learn English from British teachers.)