• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So having finished up GAA1 again (officially, this time) I thought I'd think about my second opinion on the cases and such.

Case 1: Probably a little more negative than the first time around, mostly because it works as an introduction to the characters and the geopolitical landscape they find themselves in, which I'm already familiar with the second time around. I'll echo the sentiments that it's probably too long, the case could have been wrapped up with the realisation of the poison entering via the dental wound, rather than spending another 30-60 minutes doing the steak-plate shuffle. Interestingly, Asogi comes across as somewhat less hostile towards Britain than in the fan translation, but that could be me misreading tone.

Case 2: Another tutorial case, this time for the investigation/deduction stuff. I don't think my opinion on this has changed: it's a good introduction to Sholmes and for demonstrating why Narohodo wants to become a lawyer. Still, I think it's a weird facsimile of a Investigations case but with only 3 rooms and 3 people to talk to (not counting Susato and Sholmes) so it's more of a howdunnit than a whodunnit. It's a lot shorter than I remember, but I only played the fan translation a couple of years ago so I remembered how everything went, more or less.

Case 3: Not much to say about this one, I still think it's a great case that really puts a dampener on Narohodo's ambitions the moment he starts his law career in earnest. Making McGilded Irish wasn't something I expected but I suppose an official localisation will more readily introduce national/regional interpretations than a fan translation (which may be accused of taking liberties with the characters). Knowing how van Zieks comes across in later cases I'm a bigger fan of him first time around, this time.

Case 4: I was pretty disappointed with the case coming off the first 3 cases when I played the fan translation, so maybe the reason I'm fonder of this one is because I knew what to expect. I like Soseki as a defendent more than most I suspect, and it seems like half the game's animation budget went to his fidgeting and wild gesticulation. If there's an extremely specific complaint I have it's that in the original Soseki asks Narohodo to describe something in the form of a haiku (rather than in 16 words in the official translation) and he comes up with a perfect haiku on the spot, which I found impressive and pretty funny. It's also our first proper introduction to Iris who I still don't like, but again I know what to expect with her so that's probably why I'm not as bothered this time.

Case 5: This is probably the case my opinion has improved most with, partly because I didn't get stuck with the investigation for too long (specifically, presenting the ticket to Gregson) and knowing in advance that Susato, who I had grown to like a lot by this point, was getting benched for Iris of all people. The logic puzzles throughout the trial section remained challenging and compelling, and figuring out the whole deal with the music disks was as rewarding as the first time around. Obviously it ends with too many unanswered questions and loose plot threads, which I knew about prior to my first playthrough but had no idea how many there were. But again having known about this in advance I was focused on the questions that I knew would be answered.

Partway through the GAA2-2 which has been pretty wild so far, I'm looking forward to pushing forward with that.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Still very early on in GAA1 (the start of 1-2), but this isn't really drawing me in as much as I hoped it would. The pacing feels rather slow compared to other AA games, still in disbelief that 1-1 was three parts before that was over, and the music doesn't really stand out all that much.

Not dropping it or anything, just wishing I found the experience more engaging.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Anyone who thinks Phoenix and Edgeworth aren't getting it on explain this

at7431nlk9v41.jpg

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Stil in the first investigation phase of 2-2 but
It's super hilarious to me that
1. turns out there was actually another case between 1-4 & 1-5 and that everyone just unanimously decided to NEVER SPEAK OF IT AGAIN
2. That Ryunosuke's first week in England can best be described as
Day 1: Murder trial! No time to meet anyone or investigate anything!
Day 2: Investigate....another murder!
Day 3: Murder trial #2!
Day 4: Investigate a "murder" to protect the same guy you literally just got off for another murder

e: 2-2! Not 2-1! Got my numbers flubbed

Last edited:

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who thinks Phoenix and Edgeworth aren't getting it on explain this

at7431nlk9v41.jpg

Honestly never expected Phoenix Wright to be the submissive one in the relationship. I always thought it was going to be Edgeworth.

Stil in the first investigation phase of 2-1 but
It's super hilarious to me that
1. turns out there was actually another case between 1-4 & 1-5 and that everyone just unanimously decided to NEVER SPEAK OF IT AGAIN
2. That Ryunosuke's first week in England can best be described as
Day 1: Murder trial! No time to meet anyone or investigate anything!
Day 2: Investigate....another murder!
Day 3: Murder trial #2!
Day 4: Investigate a "murder" to protect the same guy you literally just got off for another murder

I was initially annoyed they pulled this off, tbh. Ryunusoke and Susato only defending twice in the British Supreme Court, with their first client being acquitted under sketchy circumstances, felt like a huge part of why 1-5 was such a great case. But then they retconned it.

At least the case, so far has been quite interesting, far more than all cases in GAA1 except for 1-5.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I was initially annoyed they pulled this off, tbh. Ryunusoke and Susato only defending twice in the British Supreme Court, with their first client being acquitted under sketchy circumstances, felt like a huge part of why 1-5 was such a great case. But then they retconned it.

At least the case, so far has been quite interesting, far more than all cases in GAA1 except for 1-5.
Generally I like the idea that there was another SOMETHING going on in those two months just because it's always felt weird how the series goes on the logic of "literally nothing happened between these 2 cases".
And I do suspect this had been planned to some extent, considering it picks up the loose threads from 1-4

On the other hand no one makes even an oblique mention to anything of this sort happening, least of all Mr Gerrideb on the jury of 1-5.

And...I think might have to retcon soseki's arrival? iirc at the start of 1-5 Susato muses that he'd still be on the boat, but she had already received the telegram....which according to the end of 2-1 was only sent over the day after he'd arrived? And also, the end of GAA1 which is implied to be after 1-5's concluded still has him on the boat.

Well I'm still early so I'll see; it's not that big a deal to me anyway just....funny.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished GAA 1.

So yeah, without a doubt 1-5 is the best case in this game, pretty much better than all of the previous ones combined.
There wasn't a lot of investigations to do, as per usual with this entry in the series but the revelations in the court section were actually interesting and took a whole lot of turns.
Graydon was one tough son of a bitch, I don't remember in AA history the perpetrator being this stubborn and denying almost everything and anything against him. I really liked the use of evidence in this one, there were many interesting unfoldings as the trial went on and once we've figured out the third bullet this case went straight into "oh sheeeeet" mode and fully got my attention.
I actually liked everyone not giving a shit about Sholme's blood identifier invention, makes sense that everyone around you would be suspicious and would've made things too easy.
This case also retroactively made 1-3 a bit better.

But oh god so many open mysteries after this one.
Van Zieks's Japanese grudge
Susato's knowledge of the baskervilles
The list of 4 names that are revealed at the end.. Kazuma what the hell were you up to? And the rest of them? I guess the murderer in the 1st case is somehow related to all this?
Man I could definitely see why people were pissed after this game was originally released. What a cliffhanger.

Also, Ryunosuke's remarks about the jury being.. not random. I totally thought this was going to be revealed as some conspiracy, especially with the Russian one being there. Was it entirely for laughs? Seems kinda odd.

To sum up - this was a good game but not a great AA game. This was legit the only case where I fully enjoyed (I guess the first one was alright too but a bit longer than it should've been). Definitely looking forward to starting the 2nd one as it seems like it's the better of the two and perhaps somewhere in the top of the list in the series.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Having had time to let all of GAA1 digest after starting on GAA2 immediately, I've gathered most of my thoughts on 1 together.

Individually

Case 1: I agree that this dragged on entirely too long, but I generally liked the mystery, characters, and puzzles. Having been away from the franchise for so long, it really felt like a homecoming. If you trimmed some of the fat, it would be a great case overall.

Case 2: Being only a tutorial for investigations really hurt this one. Also doesn't help that, as far as investigations go, the very limited amount of places you could go in it and things to do helped to put a damper on it. While it was a self contained story that worked from start to finish, I couldn't help but feel ripped off that there was no trial for it. If this wasn't a compilation of two games and I had paid full 3DS price for it back in the day, I'd have probably become pretty concerned at the possible length of the game due to the pacing of content.

Case 3: Having the third case be a trial only case reflected a lot of the problems of the former case, even if this was a meaty trial. I loooooved the mystery of the omnibus and liked the characters involved. I was a little sour on the Jury narrative at first due to how it is introduced but the mechanic itself is really cool. That said, again, the lack of investigation and the way the trial ends made this case feel a lot shorter than it would have been in other games. Were it not for Case 5 partially relitigating this case and giving it proper closure, I'd be a lot more down on it. As it stands, I was feeling even more worried about the length of this game after this one.

Case 4: This had a promising start. An actual investigation and trial fully happening? This is what I signed up for! But I have to be honest that I really didn't like Soseki as a character, which ruined a lot of the trial for me. While I get what they were doing with the jury for narrative reasons, it was incredibly jarring to have people on the jury that absolutely should not have been there. The witness couple got old very quick, and I wasn't entirely crazy about the older couple either. It's a pity that this was the game's first full case and it came so late in and suffers from so many problems.

Case 5: This case is going to need a back brace for how much it carried the game. Aside from a few puzzles/adventure game logic being a little too finnicky, this was a great case from start to finish. You had a compelling defendant, a great mystery, a victim that you got to briefly care for, a very enjoyable antagonist, a fun jury (with Garrideb actually working both in not feeling out of place and actually contributing to it being fun, rather than Fairplay being on the jury in Case 4). It's just a great case all around, and it also serves to at least tidy up one of Case 3's flaws, improving that one as well. It also didn't feel like it dragged on despite being the longest case in the game.

Overall, I do think it is a very strong game as a whole, but a lot of that is case 5 doing some incredible work in carrying things and tying stuff together. Were it not so strong, I think this would probably be a lesser game. I like most of the core cast. Ryunosuke, Susato, and Sholmes are great characters that have a lot of good chemistry between them, which is why it was a pity that Sholmes is absent for a good chunk of the game and Susato is sidelines for a lot of the end. I'm not crazy about Iris but I think there is plenty of room to go. Hosonoga was fun as the recurring Gumshoe analog for the first half of the game but his gimmick wore thin by the time he bowed out. Gregson was the opposite where I really didn't like him at first but then he grew on me (which is why it was a shame to see what happened to him in Case 5). Really, the one recurring character I downright disliked throughout the game was von Zieks. The game never really felt like it found a good balance for him, as it waffled back and forth between him being just a fancier edgeworth (re: a fancy rival who means well) and a more direct antagonist. While I get that there are narrative reasons and historical settings for why they did it, him going far too hard on the xenophobia has made it to where I don't think I could ever find it in me to see him as a sympathetic character and possible ally to Ryunosuke the way Edgeworth was to Phoenix if they ever tried to pull that in GAA2.

The threads that this game left behind for GAA2 are incredible either way and I couldn't wait to just dive right into it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
it's interesting that almost everyone agrees that 1-1 drags. I didn't feel that way at all, but maybe I a) hadn't played a tutorial case for like 5+ years at this point, so couldn't remember how fast they were meant to be, and b) was so glad to be back in the thick of an AA game I just ignored it?

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
it's interesting that almost everyone agrees that 1-1 drags. I didn't feel that way at all, but maybe I a) hadn't played a tutorial case for like 5+ years at this point, so couldn't remember how fast they were meant to be, and b) was so glad to be back in the thick of an AA game I just ignored it?
I just finished 1-1 and I can kinda see where those people are coming from. Just a little bit of too much towards the end where it's constant showing evidence, going over said evidence, show new evidence etc.

Also the large amount of '.....' moments could've been toned down a bit imo

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
I feel similarly. I could certainly tell it's longer than the typical first case, but I was too busy riding the "god I'm so fucking happy I'm playing a new Ace Attorney" high to care.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't bother me at all through the case itself but was something I did think about on reflection (and the fast pace of 2-1 also contributed). I think if you shaved off a little bit of the last stretch, it'd be fine.

Then again, a shorter 1-1 would probably make the pacing in 1-2 and 1-3 worse.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This track in case 5 is excellent, loooooooooove it.

My favorite track of both games. Every scene that uses it is goddamn outstanding and has so many memorable moments and emotions

Just finished GAA 1.

So yeah, without a doubt 1-5 is the best case in this game, pretty much better than all of the previous ones combined.
There wasn't a lot of investigations to do, as per usual with this entry in the series but the revelations in the court section were actually interesting and took a whole lot of turns.
Graydon was one tough son of a bitch, I don't remember in AA history the perpetrator being this stubborn and denying almost everything and anything against him. I really liked the use of evidence in this one, there were many interesting unfoldings as the trial went on and once we've figured out the third bullet this case went straight into "oh sheeeeet" mode and fully got my attention.
I actually liked everyone not giving a shit about Sholme's blood identifier invention, makes sense that everyone around you would be suspicious and would've made things too easy.
This case also retroactively made 1-3 a bit better.

But oh god so many open mysteries after this one.
Van Zieks's Japanese grudge
Susato's knowledge of the baskervilles
The list of 4 names that are revealed at the end.. Kazuma what the hell were you up to? And the rest of them? I guess the murderer in the 1st case is somehow related to all this?
Man I could definitely see why people were pissed after this game was originally released. What a cliffhanger.

Also, Ryunosuke's remarks about the jury being.. not random. I totally thought this was going to be revealed as some conspiracy, especially with the Russian one being there. Was it entirely for laughs? Seems kinda odd.

To sum up - this was a good game but not a great AA game. This was legit the only case where I fully enjoyed (I guess the first one was alright too but a bit longer than it should've been). Definitely looking forward to starting the 2nd one as it seems like it's the better of the two and perhaps somewhere in the top of the list in the series.
I have often made the comparison that Graydon is the Guile of Ace Attorney villains. Just sitting at the opposite end of the stage holding down back for the full 92 seconds of each round. Most AA villains tend to run their mouth and offer excuses why they know information or had a contradiction. Graydon wasn't going to admit to anything ever. He even wouldn't acknowledge recognizing you at the start of the cross examination because even that would yield information.

On the one hand it makes him one of the most tenacious and difficult to crack villains in the series, while on the other he might be the least "fun" of them going back to my Guile metaphor. All your interactions are essentially
"I don't know what you're talking about"
Here's this evidence
"Very well, but"
Present evidence
"Very well, but"

I think finding out Gregson is an actual shithole kinda saved the case. He was a fun villain to interact with because of how smug he was and then how much he would panic when you started catching him was really satisfying. When you were playing the music box for the courtroom, I could feel his skin crawl and audible sweat.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Oct 25, 2017
So what do you think is next for Ace Attorney?
4-6 collection?
Investigations collection with the long awaited official localization of 2?
Finally get a reveal of 7? We know it's coming.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

There are two big things that make the case not really work for me.

First, it's a crime that happened right in front of ryu yet it feels like it dripfeeds information which is frustrating from this PoV. You need to rely on him remembering the bloodstain, the woman, etc. when the crime was him just walking up, picking up a gun and having someone get shot right in front of him.

Second is the damn steaks and how much it drags the ending out. The bloodstain on the plate is the golden ticket but they do this silly switcheroo thing that just drags out something you already know the answer to. Even in the guise of AA ridiculousness, the officer who stole the evidence...somehow didn't see blood all over the one plate? Like this whole thing only works because he only brought ONE plate back, the one without blood, until you prove they swapped and he brings the second out. He somehow had the memory to know what plate was on what table but did not know...blood was all over it.

Basically, it feels unsatisfying when the reason the events pan out the way they do is an exceptional amount of stupidity.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
4-6 collection?

My guess is that 7 is next, but that we'll also see either a 4-6 collection, or 4-6 individually ported to consoles and pc based upon their ios versions.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
4-6 collection?

I think they will announce 7, and then release a 4-6 collection before 7 is out.

I think the Investigations collection is unlikely, as I1 is probably the worst game in the series and must have sold poorly, since Capcom shifted to digital only for the next game (AA5).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The end of 1-1 had some real recipe for turnabout mirrors testimony vibes.
The section that only existed for the sake of more testimony and felt like a grand waste of time, at least it tied back to the coin I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they will announce 7, and then release a 4-6 collection before 7 is out.

I think the Investigations collection is unlikely, as I1 is probably the worst game in the series and must have sold poorly, since Capcom shifted to digital only for the next game (AA5).

AA5 got a physical release in Japan.
And from what I've heard, Investigations 2 is a VAAAAST improvement over the first. Kind of like how GAA2 is a vast improvement over the first.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Phoenix's unkempt look was offensive, but he couldn't have minded too much to be willing to be in close contact with him for those 7 years.

My headcanon is that, although Edgeworth would never admit it, Phoenix's rough looks during his dark period were a major turn on for him.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The iOS releases of AJ, DD and SoJ are excellent and probably the best way to play those games right now to be honest. Much, much better than the iOS releases of the original trilogy, which had all sorts of issues.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on SoJ...it's actually still my favourite game in the series, just very narrowly edging out TaT.

Wow, that's some extremely high praise. Makes me very excited to play it. And good to hear about that version, some of the reviews had me a little worried. I'll be getting it within about a week.

I'll definitely check back when I'm done. If it's as good as bein implied, I'll have to exclaim it to someone.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

First, it's a crime that happened right in front of ryu yet it feels like it dripfeeds information which is frustrating from this PoV. You need to rely on him remembering the bloodstain, the woman, etc. when the crime was him just walking up, picking up a gun and having someone get shot right in front of him.

Second is the damn steaks and how much it drags the ending out. The bloodstain on the plate is the golden ticket but they do this silly switcheroo thing that just drags out something you already know the answer to. Even in the guise of AA ridiculousness, the officer who stole the evidence...somehow didn't see blood all over the one plate? Like this whole thing only works because he only brought ONE plate back, the one without blood, until you prove they swapped and he brings the second out. He somehow had the memory to know what plate was on what table but did not know...blood was all over it.

Basically, it feels unsatisfying when the reason the events pan out the way they do is an exceptional amount of stupidity.
The steak thing was the most ridiculous stretching i'd seen in some time considering there were like 4 separate points where it's just like "this isnt' the same steak, bring out the other one" but somehow we have to take the most roundabout method of getting there.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I was kinda similar in that I was just happy to be playing AA again (has it really been 5 years??) and didn't think it was bad (I enjoyed 1-2 more than most did too, it seems), but I do feel like...
1. Naruhodo's nervous line delivery really dragged out the start. Like at a basic level the way he "spoke" during that part made each line take longer to finish and that made it feel slower than it could have felt.

2. Gotta agree with the others responding - the last part seriously felt an excuse to have more testimony just to reinforce what those sections were like, and it really wasn't necessary. The whole bit with the steaks was obvious as hell, it was very clear that it was the other person's steak as soon as the coin showed up, we had heard that the inspector had the other one, etc. It probably could have been some back and forth arguing with presenting items rather than more testimony with contradictions. I kinda wonder if they felt like they had to do this because 1-2 had no trial section, so they had to make sure you really knew how things worked so 1-3 didn't need to be bogged down by that?

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's the steaks. It is 100% the steaks every time.

First, how the conversation turns to the steaks. Naruhodo just happens to remember this vitally important clue and it would singularly solve the case. This is a problem because of how out of nowhere it came and how unrelated it was to basically everything that was discussed so far. Normally in Ace Attorney logic, you start to travel in an oval slowly working your way back to that initial point. The new information you acquired while traveling that oval would give you the information to answer that initial question. Here, the matter of the steaks is completely separate from all the discussion of poisoned drinks. It would've made more sense if after learning that Brett tampered with every item on the table during the poisoned drink discussion, your characters look at the last item she could've tampered with: the steak plate. If they look at it closer and compare the two crime scene photos, the steaks are different between the two. Plays into Naruhodo's talent for observation and is a more natural lead in to the discussion about the plates.

And second, while the discovery of the koban is a cool reveal, what it implies is immediately evident yet the discussion continues for an additional 40 minutes just to establish "the steak plates were swapped" that every player already knew. The topper is that during this entire exchange we have the situation of the judge "The witness is free to go" OBJECTION! Let me ask this one last thing "Very well, I will allow this last question" about three times. Like did anyone think for a second that Brett was the one that put the coin there? So it makes it all very long-winded and obnoxious.

The fact that the teeth marks are used to confirm the items swapped is the mistake. Revealing the koban proved they swapped, so the reveals should have been in reverse. Hosonaga brings out the plate, they scoff that there isn't anything of value and the Judge tries to conclude the trial but then you point out the bite marks using a comment from her earlier of if we add some flavor text where she slips that she ate with a knife and fork. The judge allows you to examine the steak closer, find the koban and now you know whose steak that is and confronting Nosa he admits to swapping the plates. Hosonaga brings out the second plate, it has blood on it proving Watson was facing Brett when he was shot.

OP
OP
Moogle

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I didn't actually play the games for myself a few years ago, but the pacing and the complexity (or lack thereof) of the cases never really bothered me. I guess I was just more invested in the overall narrative and tone than in the mysteries themselves. The more heavy tone and Naruhodo's journey throughout GAA1 is some of the best writing the series has to offer, imo. I also really enjoyed the ways the game subverted expectations regarding a lot of the conventions we've come to expect from the series. Having played them all, the lack of some elements just made things more refreshing instead of frustrating.

The second game is obviously great, but I think it's only thanks to the excellent setup and character building of the first game, which is why I can't really judge them separately. That might've been a problem originally (although even then I didn't mind it that much, there is some amount of closure within the first game), but now that the games are in a package together...

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
lol I totally called it that this woman's design was too elaborate for her to just be on the jury and that she'd make a reappearance.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It's the steaks. It is 100% the steaks every time.

First, how the conversation turns to the steaks. Naruhodo just happens to remember this vitally important clue and it would singularly solve the case. This is a problem because of how out of nowhere it came and how unrelated it was to basically everything that was discussed so far. Normally in Ace Attorney logic, you start to travel in an oval slowly working your way back to that initial point. The new information you acquired while traveling that oval would give you the information to answer that initial question. Here, the matter of the steaks is completely separate from all the discussion of poisoned drinks. It would've made more sense if after learning that Brett tampered with every item on the table during the poisoned drink discussion, your characters look at the last item she could've tampered with: the steak plate. If they look at it closer and compare the two crime scene photos, the steaks are different between the two. Plays into Naruhodo's talent for observation and is a more natural lead in to the discussion about the plates.

And second, while the discovery of the koban is a cool reveal, what it implies is immediately evident yet the discussion continues for an additional 40 minutes just to establish "the steak plates were swapped" that every player already knew. The topper is that during this entire exchange we have the situation of the judge "The witness is free to go" OBJECTION! Let me ask this one last thing "Very well, I will allow this last question" about three times. Like did anyone think for a second that Brett was the one that put the coin there? So it makes it all very long-winded and obnoxious.

The fact that the teeth marks are used to confirm the items swapped is the mistake. Revealing the koban proved they swapped, so the reveals should have been in reverse. Hosonaga brings out the plate, they scoff that there isn't anything of value and the Judge tries to conclude the trial but then you point out the bite marks using a comment from her earlier of if we add some flavor text where she slips that she ate with a knife and fork. The judge allows you to examine the steak closer, find the koban and now you know whose steak that is and confronting Nosa he admits to swapping the plates. Hosonaga brings out the second plate, it has blood on it proving Watson was facing Brett when he was shot.

There's also one more aspect to that bit that you've reminded me about now, that had bothered me a lot at the time.
I mentioned this previously in this thread, but the very first thing I noticed when looking at the picture of the victim was that he was sitting facing away from the plate.

As much as I did enjoy the case, it was kinda killing me the entire time that there was this whole big deal made about where he was sitting, was he alone, he was eating steak, etc. and nobody ever pointed out that he was just... sitting facing the complete opposite direction from the table, completely unnaturally? To the point that I had expected that the initial testimony was going to end with you pointing out an obvious contradiction to their claims about where he was sitting - that the table they were trying to say was his was really the table behind his, and his table wasn't shown in the photo!

This made it very awkward when they finally brought up this extremely obvious issue with the photo at the end, when it should have been one of the most noticeable parts of the photo. At the very least, more obvious than the design of the plate on the table behind him!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
if i were capcom marketing and the doyle estate wasn't so shit i would totally have done some kind of tie-in with collector's editions like put out some of the public domain stories with the game lol

I think it'd be really fun to, like, read sherlock holmes stories but scripted in the AA engine. lmao

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I love Soseki and his neurotic animations. The haters just don't appreciate his wacky charm.

641b4951a28ae48299f24657e23e4f8353f667aar1-256-192_hq.gif

His nervous animation is my favorite and made me laugh every time, but I can't find it anywhere.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you on this one. I was loving it, just soaking up the vibe. Wasn't in any rush for it to be over.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I know, and so was I2 :p I'm talking about the prospects of them localizing the game, and I think I1 underperformed and made them not localize the second nor have a physical release for 5 in the west.
I think I2 suffered the same fate as Last Window and Fire Emblem New Mystery, they came out so late in the DS's life cycle that it had no real chance to do well on a platform where games has to be physical release only and was skipped. If I2 has been planned for 3ds it likely would have been localized with a digital only release.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Ryunosuke gets so caught up in figuring out meter fraud he loses sight of why he was even doing this to begin with.

AA does this frequently (& obviously this is going to tie in, and I'm pretty sure I've figured out how) but I think this is my favorite because it's so specifically about another thing that it brought in new witnesses specifically for that testimony and he just gets really into it like he's solving a murder.

Also is it possible to end the first invesitgation phase without seeing the underside of the soap? Wondering if this is a fun twist on the stuff that went on in 1-3, where you can get a headstart on a logic puzzle instead of a "wait a minute....."

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

And that issue is even more noticeable because

The very next case is *also* him being accused of a murder, except that case ends up finding a very good reason for information to be withheld from you, by way of having him being unconscious and locked in the dresser during the incident so he is genuinely learning along with everyone else, instead of the story conveniently having him remember information when it is convenient.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I think y'all thinking there will be an AA7 are kidding themselves. :( If I remember correctly, after that tidbit, it was gone from other reports, no?

I kind of feel like this might be the last hurrah. :(

Edit:
I was kind of on the money about Green doing this for revenge, but the attempted-murder-chain is pretty good lol.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, case 1-5 is looooooooooooooooooooong. Five hours and it looks like I'm finally at the trial.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Poor Miss Green. I feel for her. 🥺

I liked that one!

I'm extremely excited for 2-3 to 2-5 as they seem to be unanimously praised here. :O

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing the 1st trial and the amount of gaslighting is insane, I would legit lose my mind if this happened, especially since it would decide if I was a free man or not

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha.

I assume that every person involved in making this game knew we'd know who that apprentice is from the moment they appeared…right?

Maybe I'm wrong…but I don't think so lol.

There's been way too much talk about Kazuma, Kazuma's mission, the cliffhanger at the end of GAA1, for him to just be dead. He faked his death and is now training to be a prosecutor for some reason. I know he wants to reform the Japanese justice system but various characters keep saying that may not be it. But I'm guessing he is engineering something that he and Ryunosuke can do from both sides of the bench together to work toward a common goal.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I think y'all thinking there will be an AA7 are kidding themselves. :( If I remember correctly, after that tidbit, it was gone from other reports, no?

I kind of feel like this might be the last hurrah. :(
They just had that survey the other day trying to gauge interest in the series and asking if Shu Takumi's involvement would be a draw for people

Sure doesn't sound like the series is dead

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
They just had that survey the other day trying to gauge interest in the series and asking if Shu Takumi's involvement would be a draw for people

Sure doesn't sound like the series is dead

That is true! I filled that out lol. I hope it means something and isn't just a twist of the knife haha.