• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 8, 2018
Is the Turnabout Collection worthwhile for someone who has always had a passive interest in these games but has never taken the plunge? How well does the original trilogy hold up? Or should I just get GAA if I want to jump in.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Turnabout Collection worthwhile for someone who has always had a passive interest in these games but has never taken the plunge? How well does the original trilogy hold up? Or should I just get GAA if I want to jump in.

The Trilogy holds up but these games are also a great start point.

If I had to choose I'd tell you to get the Trilogy.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Every game holds up great, the core gameplay doesn't change. Turnabout Collection would be a fantastic jumping in point. AA Trilogy is the best starting place but GAA works fine too.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Seems like someone found a way to get 60+ FPS on the PC version.
steamcommunity.com

You can play the game at 60fps using cheat engine :: The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles General Discussions

Run cheat engine while the game is running Select the game process Select float value and type 30.000000 New scan Second value that shows up should be the fps limit. Change it to 60 (First one is animation speed) The game should now run in 60 fps Thanks to user Perdomai for finding it
github.com

Release v12 (JP patch 2023-07-10 support) · AdmiralCurtiss/dgs_hackfix

Download here: https://github.com/AdmiralCurtiss/dgs_hackfix/releases/download/v12/dgs_hackfix_v12.zip This fixes support with the JP executable after the 2023-07-10 update. Identical to v11 otherw...
That DGS Hackfix is literally a game changer. This game looks and feels so much better now that it can go above 30 FPS. The responsiveness is night and day.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Trilogy is timeless. There's a reason it's been released so many times on essentially every system (just don't get it on iOS). I mentioned it in early pages but I would suggest doing the first case of the first game to see what you think first (or watching a no-commentary video). It's incredibly short, like 40 minutes at most but hits all the right notes. Of course the real appeal of the series is the immersion you get as it is you solving the cases.

I would imagine Great Ace Attorney could be a bit of a marathon for new players to just jump in to due to the length of the cases, but it does a very good job of teaching players the mechanics and has a very compelling story if you give it the time to breath.

I can assure you that whichever one you decide to buy if you choose to go through will give you your money's worth and more in content.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Like others have said both sets of games are excellent starting points and you can't go wrong with either. There may be some value in starting with the originals due to how GAA plays with the expectations of players of those games, but GAA is still totally stand alone and an excellent entry point.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Oh my god did this game seriously pull a JelloApocalypse on me

(Time stamp at 1:43 for the thing I mean)

For this thing, it's not the Windibank's Gun that you present, it's the photo containing Windibank's Gun that works. Like, I'm so stunned by this. lol

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
So, just finished the case, this mystery was really fun and had some good stuff. Shamspeare's ice trick was fantastic and the whole thing with the gas to kill the other room's occupant was smart as Hell as well. They're been teasing the Goddamn Hound of Baskervilles since the final case of the first case, so I'll be interested in learning about it, though I don't know if it'll be next case or one of the other two.
Now that that's done, it's time to play what is apparently one of the longest Ace Attorney cases in the entire series. Should be interesting.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
The Adventure of the Runaway Room holds up brilliantly. This is my second run of it and I still think it's one of the best cases in the series. The localization really is fantastic, too. "Those eyes please me. They shroud your fear, your doubt, your trepidation... They run wild, clinging to some phantom notion of courage." I got chills too, Ryu. Barok's dialogue has such a strong sense of lyricism, and it's warming me to a character that I had a more mixed reception to on my run of through the fan translation.

There are two readers, I think, engaged when reading any text. The first is the person in our reality, the second the person immersed within the world of the text. What I love about episode three is how the game is speaking to both, trying to bewitch the latter while speaking honestly to the former. Often we'll have moments where an aspect of a story frustrates you and rattles in the back of your mind. In this case, it's this slippery capitalist we're being asked to defend—he's a crooked usurer! But, you (or at least I) assume we're meant to overlook this to focus on the mystery, or even that our defendant is merely misunderstood, which is often the case in AA games. Not true, this time! Magnus is every bit as shifty as he looks, and his little tells, like how he says he only needs someone to stand there in court for him, do in fact hint at the truth! Likewise for the specifics of the omnibus (brilliant idea, just there, to write a story around a mobile crime scene). This case subtly but surely builds towards to its dramatic conclusion; the little details all matter. That unease that Ryunosuke feels is an unease the game does a good job of instilling the player with.

And once again, the actual social conditions within this old world play a real and continuous role in the various tragedies that Ryunosuke is faced with. It's a surprisingly grounded and frank Ace Attorney game.

The music is used better in this game than any other AA title, too. Magnus' theme has so much character. The first time it plays, it feels like it's framing Magnus as a puzzle. He's an eccentric fellow, and Ryunosuke is simply out of his element trying to speak with this European gentleman. It takes a more ominous form when you see, right in front of everyone, how Magnus can pluck on the strings of his puppets to trick the court, when he starts to take control of his own defense towards the end. He becomes a magician, influencing the court through tricks and suggestion. A really fun and different antagonist.

The ending is pretty boring, I'm afraid. They bought nearly the whole store out (it was a clothing store) and left. Caused a huge mess and we spent hours getting the store back in order. Still a very eventful encounter, though!
Ah, I see. Good that it at least ended with everyone safe, and yeah, it makes for a really memorable story!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
steamcommunity.com

You can play the game at 60fps using cheat engine :: The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles General Discussions

Run cheat engine while the game is running Select the game process Select float value and type 30.000000 New scan Second value that shows up should be the fps limit. Change it to 60 (First one is animation speed) The game should now run in 60 fps Thanks to user Perdomai for finding it
github.com

Download here: https://github.com/AdmiralCurtiss/dgs_hackfix/releases/download/v12/dgs_hackfix_v12.zip This fixes support with the JP executable after the 2023-07-10 update. Identical to v11 otherw...
This works perfectly, and it's so easy to install. God, it's so much comfier to play like this.

Capcom, fix your shit.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Iris just busting out a very sound Logic and Reasoning Spectacular.

RIP Sholmes.

Nov 15, 2017
Oh my god did this game seriously pull a JelloApocalypse on me

(Time stamp at 1:43 for the thing I mean)

For this thing, it's not the Windibank's Gun that you present, it's the photo containing Windibank's Gun that works. Like, I'm so stunned by this. lol

If it's what I'm thinking of,
you're trying to prove that he didn't have the gun at the time so that makes sense. Presenting the gun itself doesn't tell you anything about that because it's the information contained in the photograph showing the situation that's important.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up through case 3. The localization is so snappy, it's helped me get over some of my issues with the pacing in the first two cases; I love revisiting some of the moments that have stuck with me like this.

As others have been talking about above, GAA1, especially in the early going, definitely gains from having a history with the series because it does so much work to mess with player expectations. It's why I always hesitate a bit to recommend these as someone's first AA.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I'm appreciating a lot more now on a bigger screen (Switch vs. 3DS) is how good Susato's look of pity and disappointment is. I remember thinking her animations and expressions were kind of boring before, but I just didn't get it at the time. She's great, actually.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Just finished GAA 1-2 and I think it might be one of my favorite cases in the entire series.
I know the series has been sad in the past, but this one hit specially hard for me, just an unquestionable tragedy unfolding at every step. I felt legitimately emotionally drained by the time it was over.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I laugh every time you turn the camera and Sholmes is just doing something whacky in the next screen over.

Also, I should have mentioned earlier, but the deduction music is sooooo good.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Finished up through case 3. The localization is so snappy, it's helped me get over some of my issues with the pacing in the first two cases; I love revisiting some of the moments that have stuck with me like this.

As others have been talking about above, GAA1, especially in the early going, definitely gains from having a history with the series because it does so much work to mess with player expectations. It's why I always hesitate a bit to recommend these as someone's first AA.

just me personally, I picked this up on a whim tonight. Hit Best Buy right at closing at 8 and grabbed it. Got home and finished up a temple in SS. Decided to try this out. And yeah I'm up way, WAY too late.. and fucking loving it. Can't wait to get through my initial load of work in the morning and see what happens next. So for me, this game works as my entry point so far and I adore so many things about it.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Just got through case 1-2, really enjoying it so far even though I wasn't expecting these early cases to be quite so long. Considering just how much content is in this package is a little daunting, honestly. Was GAA 1-1 this the longest first case in the series?

This is definitely the most stylish set of AA games, IMO. Every little UI element looks like it's designed to evoke the setting and time period, and I love all of the animations in Sholmes' deduction segments where he's jumping around and snapping his fingers. The animations for other characters are also great so far, but that's become par for the series at this point. It's amazing how they managed to pack in so much of the personality for the 2D games into the 3D models for the newer ones. The 2D art they have for each character that pops up in the court record or when they're investigating an item also looks really nice, all of the visual design is this game is lovely, even though you can tell from some of the models and other assets that it was a 3DS game originally.

Oct 25, 2017
one AA-ism i wish they'd avoid it: when a prosecutor is like "can you prove X instead of Y?!" when they themselves haven't proven "Y instead of X". simply showing that X is possible should be enough.

i know this is a basic ass complaint about the series that's as old as time, but i just felt like i needed to get it off my chest.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I laugh every time you turn the camera and Sholmes is just doing something whacky in the next screen over.

Also, I should have mentioned earlier, but the deduction music is sooooo good.
I was playing late at night and accidentally jump scared myself with one of these. I moved the camera and wasn't expecting to see him!

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I just finished the first case and honestly thought it sucked. The pacing was horrible, it just goes on forever. And you barely figure anything out, the biggest pieces of evidence are provided out of nowhere.

So many plot points were just beyond stupid. The student and professor just happen to both have guns on them for some reason? The main character just walked over and picked up the gun without saying anything? If anyone had noticed it and just said "oh my god! There's a gun on the floor!" her plan wouldn't have worked. If anyone had happened to be looking at either her or the MC when she shot the prof her plan wouldn't have worked. But luckily no one was looking and the MC made the bizarre decision to walk over and pick up a random gun without saying a word.

And like I said earlier, the plot twists are so unsatisfying. It seems like the victim was poisoned but how on earth can we prove that… oh wait! He comes our "assistant" with proof that the student just happened to be studying poison of all things! How convenient!

We're out of evidence… but oh wait! I suddenly remember seeing a blood stain on the plate! Convenient again!

Compare that to the first case of the original game, which made you feel clever for figuring out how the clock proved the murderer had been in another time zone.

I'm going to stick with it but the first case was a bummer, hopefully it picks up from here.

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the first case and honestly thought it sucked. The pacing was horrible, it just goes on forever. And you barely figure anything out, the biggest pieces of evidence are provided out of nowhere.

So many plot points were just beyond stupid. The student and professor just happen to both have guns on them for some reason? The main character just walked over and picked up the gun without saying anything? If anyone had noticed it and just said "oh my god! There's a gun on the floor!" her plan wouldn't have worked. If anyone had happened to be looking at either her or the MC when she shot the prof her plan wouldn't have worked. But luckily no one was looking and the MC made the bizarre decision to walk over and pick up a random gun without saying a word.

And like I said earlier, the plot twists are so unsatisfying. It seems like the victim was poisoned but how on earth can we prove that… oh wait! He comes our "assistant" with proof that the student just happened to be studying poison of all things! How convenient!

We're out of evidence… but oh wait! I suddenly remember seeing a blood stain on the plate! Convenient again!

Compare that to the first case of the original game, which made you feel clever for figuring out how the clock proved the murderer had been in another time zone.

I'm going to stick with it but the first case was a bummer, hopefully it picks up from here.
yeah — on balance i'm liking the game a lot, but your point about the first case in AA1 is spot on. the art of a good simple first case with some straightforward puzzle solving has been thoroughly lost along the way.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Bless the story mode feature. Case 4 investigation has been really dull so far, so it's nice I can at least just lay back and watch it progress lol.

It of course remains to be seen how the rest of case 4 plays out and how case 5 is, but currently I can absolutely understand why people were (apparently) so disappointed in GAA1 when it came out. It has had some pretty great highs so far, but the vast majority has been honestly just kinda mediocre and forgettable. I really hope GAA2 will be genuinely good and not just good in comparison to GAA1.

Nov 15, 2017

It's probably worth pointing out that
the gun was purposely placed in his path so it's not that farfetched to pick up something as unusual as a gun if it's right in your path next to the other guy's table, and they did make it a point that there only 2 other people around to begin with. Probably safe to assume that it was placed at the most optimal timing as well to avoid being seen by someone else.
But otherwise, yeah....

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
one AA-ism i wish they'd avoid it: when a prosecutor is like "can you prove X instead of Y?!" when they themselves haven't proven "Y instead of X". simply showing that X is possible should be enough.

i know this is a basic ass complaint about the series that's as old as time, but i just felt like i needed to get it off my chest.

I think that's justified since these games your client is generally "guilty until proven innocent" which is part of the commentary of real judicial systems that the series is about. These games even further justify it with the Jury system, since frequently the game goes "if you can't prove x instead of y, it won't change the original theory that your client did it for z reason".

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I think it might help people to link this summary of Soseki Natsume's time in England, which was marked by an intense feeling of alienation.

1-4 is kind of like medicine, I feel. It's not really the most satisfying mystery, but the world and character building is essential. That scene where (a) Ryunosuke and Susato realize that (minor, early spoiler) the voice in the cell is speaking Japanese, and then (b) Soseki Natsume's subsequent outpour of emotion upon seeing his countryfolk is incredibly powerful, and it sets up an important building block for Ryunosuke's character.

edit: whoops, I was in the middle of writing a comment and pushed send too early. Ah well, edited it a bit.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
steamcommunity.com

github.com

Hackfix did wonders, super simple fix too. The game is soooooo smooth now lol.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
After finally finishing the first game, I can definitely see how Japanese players would be unsatisfied with how it ends and needing to wait years for the sequel. There are a lot of unanswered questions that were either not addressed or only alluded to. Off the top of my head:

-The nature of van Zieks's "curse"
-What the decoded Morse code message is supposed to mean
-van Zieks's being betrayed by a Japanese person (I have a feeling I know who it is, though)
-How Susato knew the name of Iris's manuscript (I think I figured it out, however)

Fortunately, as part of a duology collection, it feels like an excellent midway point for the games. The case itself was great, and we finally get some real payoff to implicating a murderer. Out of all five cases in this game, this is really the only one to feel like you were dishing out justice and it felt cathartic to finally do so after sitting through four straight cases of trickery, lies, and/or unfortunate accidental mishaps.

I'm excited to see what the sequel ventures into. I have high expectations for it and I hope with all the set-up the first game gave out I will not be disappointed. I've read the second game is widely considered to be the better of the two, but since I'm essentially playing all of this in one go I'll likely be considering the whole of TGAA instead of separating the two. So, this is less a "sequel" to me as it is "Act II".

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
After finally finishing the first game, I can definitely see how Japanese players would be unsatisfied with how it ends and needing to wait years for the sequel. There are a lot of unanswered questions that were either not addressed or only alluded to. Off the top of my head:

-The nature of van Zieks's "curse"
-What the decoded Morse code message is supposed to mean
-van Zieks's being betrayed by a Japanese person (I have a feeling I know who it is, though)
-How Susato knew the name of Iris's manuscript (I think I figured it out, however)

Fortunately, as part of a duology collection, it feels like an excellent midway point for the games. The case itself was great, and we finally get some real payoff to implicating a murderer. Out of all five cases in this game, this is really the only one to feel like you were dishing out justice and it felt cathartic to finally do so after sitting through four straight cases of trickery, lies, and/or unfortunate accidental mishaps.

I'm excited to see what the sequel ventures into. I have high expectations for it and I hope with all the set-up the first game gave out I will not be disappointed. I've read the second game is widely considered to be the better of the two, but since I'm essentially playing all of this in one go I'll likely be considering the whole of TGAA instead of separating the two. So, this is less a "sequel" to me as it is "Act II".

A few more that I can think of, to supplement your point (that GAA1-5 is a very nice midpoint of the overall story, but perhaps unsatisfying if viewed as part of just the first game):

- Kazuma's objective in Great Britain, that he never got to tell Ryunsouke about
- Brett's motive for murder is left unexplained
- Why Herlock objected to the manuscript being published, going as far to "pop" the script in a pawnbrokery

It isn't just unanswered questions - character such as the Chief Justice seem shady as hell.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I do laugh at the blatant 3ds 3d moments that simply don't translate at all in this release.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's probably worth pointing out that
the gun was purposely placed in his path so it's not that farfetched to pick up something as unusual as a gun if it's right in your path next to the other guy's table, and they did make it a point that there only 2 other people around to begin with. Probably safe to assume that it was placed at the most optimal timing as well to avoid being seen by someone else.
But otherwise, yeah....
What does "in his path" mean? There was only one single way for the main character to walk from his table to the exit? The waiter couldn't have seen it while he was walking around seeing if anyone needed water or anything? No one got up to go to the bathroom? No one happened to look around? Presumably you can still see a gun on the floor even if it's not "in your path." And it was lucky the MC didn't use a different path, say to go to the bathroom or something. Also lucky that no one noticed the girl, who the game points out is extremely conspicuous, getting up to drop the gun and then sitting back down.

And personally I don't think I'd react differently to seeing a gun on the floor of a restaurant based on whether it was in my path or not.

So I don't know, seems like a lame explanation to me. If you want to suspend disbelief you can, but it just seems extremely unlikely that things would go down exactly as

OP
OP
Moogle

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Ryunosuke's "realization" face (where he kind of directly at the camera and almost looks like he's going to sneeze lol).

Ryunosuke's default state

tenor.gif
3gx7.gif

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I will say I find it somewhat annoying that you see witnesses repeat as jurors and vice versa. I get designed dozens of juror only characters would be a lot, but I feel we shouldn't see repeats until the sequel.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, if we're going to do that, you can explain away every case in the series, like for example how many cases could be solved if Phoenix had a tape recorder or a discreet body cam on him when the killers so often start running their mouth and / or talking shit, implicating them or outright being taken as an admission of guilt? Let's be frank, sudden and convenient evidence is hardly a new concept for the series. If we're going to talk about how a killer could've gotten away with their crimes if things were done differently or you didn't get that lucky piece of evidence...like, yeah?

It's like "why doesn't Dr. Wily just fill a room with spikes?" Because it's a video game and the player needs to be able to succeed. *shrug*

But I'm going to be honest, even as a huge stan for Great Ace Attorney, GAA1-1 is the case I dread playing on repeats the most. It isn't the weakest case of the two games, and the one I would give that award to, I would because it's boring and easy. It is, however, short. GAA1-1 is not. GAA1-1 is a goddamn slog at the last 1/5 or so. And it's a real shame too because it is a fun and interesting case with lots of twists and for me had an amazing 'A-HA!!' moment of old evidence coming into play.

...but then it keeps going for another hour...

We'll all agree that everything about the steaks is stupid bullshit. You won't find a single person on earth that would disagree. How we get to them is absurd and outrageous, and how long it takes for us to get to something of actual substance is a complete insult of the player's time. It's *supposed* to establish that Naruhodo has photographic memory not unlike Holmes but the way it happens is the very definition of an asspull dues ex. Especially when if you compare the two crime scene photos, the steaks are different shapes. It would've made more sense if the characters, looking for some kind of lead with their poisoned bottle gone, consider how Brett tampered with literally every item at the table as part of their deductions. Process of elimination points to the steak plate as possibly the only thing left to more closely explore. If the game had simply gone this way, along with showing the two photos back to back, it'd be so much easier for the players' and Naruhodo's gift of observation to kick in, and notice the different steak shapes and suggest "Brett tampered with the steak, let's explore that!", with blood on the second place being a second shock reveal after the coin. And while the reveal of the coin under the steak is kind of a cool reveal, the amount of time it takes for us to get to the obvious conclusion that the plates were swapped is just plain infuriating.

And it's especially damming that Hosonaga, for all his talk about doing a "perfect" crime scene investigation....how the hell did he not notice the blood on the second plate?? Or notice that the gun Naurhodo had has no signs that it was fired recently? Even without "modern forensics" or whatever, you can tell a cold gun with no smell of burnt gunpowder isn't the murder weapon.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
The way the judge slams the gavel makes me feel a little sick every time. Why does the camera have to follow it that way?

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone found a way to unlock the fps ? it's locked at 30 on steam and it looks very bad.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I finished NEO and finally started GAA and I'm already smiling like an idiot lol. It's been so long since we had a new AA game. And man, I already freaking love Kazuma.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything i should know if i want to get the platinum but dont want to use a guide on my first playthrough?

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
That DGS Hackfix is literally a game changer. This game looks and feels so much better now that it can go above 30 FPS. The responsiveness is night and day.

It's absolutely incredible ♥ Really helps the amazing animation work shine even more.

Boo to Capcom for the baffling unnecessary fps cap! Along with other amateurish issues like the game not being DPI respondent or the weirdly high CPU usage. As grateful as I am this game came out (big hats off to the incredible localisers in particular,) it's staggering how low a standard publishers are held to with their PC ports, bleh :/ Thank goodness for dedicated fans for doing the work that should've been done in the first place.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I just finished it yesterday and wasn't really the biggest fan.

There's so many times where it's like "Ok, he's guilty, the case is now clos-- HOLD UP THERE'S SOMETHING ELSE"

And this happens like 20 times.

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone else order the Japanese limited Switch box set from Amazon.co.jp, and if so has it shipped yet? Mine still hasn't but says arriving 8/1...

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
A decent way into the first case now (but haven't quite hit the bits alluded to above, so maybe my feelings will change), and very happy to be back playing an AA game so far. Been a while, especially as I didn't end up playing 6's DLC. I had planned to play some of TWEWY Final Remix before I got drawn into this, but I kept putting that off over and over and meanwhile the vague reactions here got me very tempted. So I figured why not jump on in on the thing that I can get myself to play easier, and I'll see how to pace things out from there.

So far, so good. I do think the start of this was a little too drawn out but mostly due to the nervousness; it made a lot of lines be delivered veeeeeeery slowly. Once that got overcome a bit, things have been smooth. And I gotta say, loving the animations so far. Really enjoying...

Payne Auchi in particular. The very subtle hand movement over his face to transition himself from panic back to composure was great. As is the sucking up to Jezaille.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, if we're going to do that, you can explain away every case in the series, like for example how many cases could be solved if Phoenix had a tape recorder or a discreet body cam on him when the killers so often start running their mouth and / or talking shit, implicating them or outright being taken as an admission of guilt? Let's be frank, sudden and convenient evidence is hardly a new concept for the series. If we're going to talk about how a killer could've gotten away with their crimes if things were done differently or you didn't get that lucky piece of evidence...like, yeah?

It's like "why doesn't Dr. Wily just fill a room with spikes?" Because it's a video game and the player needs to be able to succeed. *shrug*

But I'm going to be honest, even as a huge stan for Great Ace Attorney, GAA1-1 is the case I dread playing on repeats the most. It isn't the weakest case of the two games, and the one I would give that award to, I would because it's boring and easy. It is, however, short. GAA1-1 is not. GAA1-1 is a goddamn slog at the last 1/5 or so. And it's a real shame too because it is a fun and interesting case with lots of twists and for me had an amazing 'A-HA!!' moment of old evidence coming into play.

...but then it keeps going for another hour...

We'll all agree that everything about the steaks is stupid bullshit. You won't find a single person on earth that would disagree. How we get to them is absurd and outrageous, and how long it takes for us to get to something of actual substance is a complete insult of the player's time. It's *supposed* to establish that Naruhodo has photographic memory not unlike Holmes but the way it happens is the very definition of an asspull dues ex. Especially when if you compare the two crime scene photos, the steaks are different shapes. It would've made more sense if the characters, looking for some kind of lead with their poisoned bottle gone, consider how Brett tampered with literally every item at the table as part of their deductions. Process of elimination points to the steak plate as possibly the only thing left to more closely explore. If the game had simply gone this way, along with showing the two photos back to back, it'd be so much easier for the players' and Naruhodo's gift of observation to kick in, and notice the different steak shapes and suggest "Brett tampered with the steak, let's explore that!", with blood on the second place being a second shock reveal after the coin. And while the reveal of the coin under the steak is kind of a cool reveal, the amount of time it takes for us to get to the obvious conclusion that the plates were swapped is just plain infuriating.

And it's especially damming that Hosonaga, for all his talk about doing a "perfect" crime scene investigation....how the hell did he not notice the blood on the second plate?? Or notice that the gun Naurhodo had has no signs that it was fired recently? Even without "modern forensics" or whatever, you can tell a cold gun with no smell of burnt gunpowder isn't the murder weapon.

I totally disagree that you can pick apart every case in the same way. Sure, every case has some conveniences, but "Phoenix didn't have a tape recorder" is a lot easier to swallow than "These two people both carry a gun with them for some reason" or "No one saw and mentioned that there's a gun sitting out in the open."

And many cases do require you to actually piece together what happened. Not many cases, in the original trilogy at least, have conveniences as dumb as
"How can we prove he was poisoned? Oh sweet, here's evidence out of thin air that she's literally an expert on poison."

Yeah, I just finished it yesterday and wasn't really the biggest fan.

There's so many times where it's like "Ok, he's guilty, the case is now clos-- HOLD UP THERE'S SOMETHING ELSE"

And this happens like 20 times.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking with making it that long, it draaaags. When I got to the third save prompt I was like "… seriously?"

It's so unnecessary too. It could very easily be edited down. I especially find the flashbacks annoying. I don't need to see a scene that happened five minutes ago replayed. And there's a ridiculous amount of repeated dialogue. How many times do we need to be reminded that the relationship between Japan and Britain is important to the case?

Last edited: