• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Can i just say i love the character animations

Not really spoilers but just in case
The way Ryunosuke slaps the table, then looks at his hand in surprise

And this little unnecessary grabbing of the sword hilt and lean back by Kazuma makes me feel things

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
1-2:

Wow they're really going all in on the
"Player character is the suspect" trope huh :/

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
The way they handled the English-speaking character in the first case is some 200IQ stuff.

In general, the speed of subtitles and their sound and visual design are honestly so, so refreshing and innovative, even 20 years after the first Ace Attorney came out.

I was a bit afraid that it's one of those Type-0 situations, where a major series gets Japan-exclusive game, everyone who plays it claims it's the best thing ever, the game gets translated... and it freaking sucks. Just started the second case and I'm loving it, even if the rest of the cases are circus-tier I'll still have a great time.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Even after playing through the fan translation of GAA1, the first case of this game is still drawing me right in.

This game just oozes charm and the localization work is incredibly well done. God, I can't wait to work my way to GAA2

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got the game. Is it recommended to play in English voices or Japanese?
I think the English dub is good, with some inspired choices. There was an emphasis on authenticity where possible, with Japanese-British VAs for Ryunosuke and Susato. You can freely swap between the two from the menu.

OP
OP
Moogle

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got the game. Is it recommended to play in English voices or Japanese?

tumblr_mn8uxkd8Ls1riy6u1o4_250.gif

You can switch them, maybe test them out and see what you prefer? Some people are going for JP voices for the cases set in Japan, ENG voices for the cases set in England. The dub is good so you can't go wrong, really.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
So, the second game's first case was good, it established some future stuff the rest of the game will deal with, which is neat, but the mystery itself was pretty lacklustre in comparison to the first game's first case. You pretty much have it solved by the time you get the pen, which is early in.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got to the end of Case 3. Yeah, the changes to the tropes and mechanics from Ace Attorney are fantastic.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Got to the end of Case 3. Yeah, the changes to the tropes and mechanics from Ace Attorney are fantastic.

I love that they pulled out the "your client is guilty" card in a case 3 of all places. I wouldn't have been surprised if they _never_ went back to that well, and then they just bust it out again out of nowhere.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Put about an hour in to GAA Case 1. I was expecting the first case to be like most first cases in this series - a quick tutorial of the court room mechanics, but this is turning in to a pretty length case. Enjoying so far!

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Finally playing this a bit before I'm off to bed.
Man this is so great, I've been waiting so long (haven't played the fan translation).

The characters are written so good, the little quirks in the animations are incredibly well done and give a lot of character to every.. well, character.
And the music. Holy mother of god the soundtrack so far is AMAZING.
I'm so happy playing this game! I pray this release will finally be the big break of AA.

And this little unnecessary grabbing of the sword hilt and lean back by Kazuma makes me feel things

Yeah that's just wonderful. I love everything about this

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Interesting to have a case without any court segments. Kinda feels like a second tutorial case.

Aside from that, man Kazuma's death is just sad. It's easy to contrast with the other hypercompetent mentor death in the original trilogy. Mia was more or less killed in the line of duty, murdered in cold blood by a corrupt powerful man whose crimes she hoped to expose, and indeed, her death sets events in motion that do expose his crimes. Kazuma's death is just... meaningless, a freak accident/misunderstanding caused by a scared 15-year-old girl. And at least Mia could visit...

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, the second game's first case was good, it established some future stuff the rest of the game will deal with, which is neat, but the mystery itself was pretty lacklustre in comparison to the first game's first case. You pretty much have it solved by the time you get the pen, which is early in.
Yeah, this case is easily the weakest of both games and just kind of screams that it's there out of obligation to tradition. Gotta be a tutorial, gotta slap Payne around. It was pretty cool that an animation prop turned out to be a witness, but a lot of us played the demo that was released and we noticed the ink on his hand so it was pretty easy to guess he'd be important.

Awesome breakdown though!
What a goddamn swerve! Ryunosuke's going into this first trial determined to do Asogi proud, and it all goes careening out of control. He already felt out of his element and his first client is a monster! The emotional drain of case 2 followed by this horrific insanity in case 3.

I love this game so much

mrjohill

Oct 25, 2017
just started replaying the first one and i have to say Ryonosuke's inability to do a table slam is still so good lol

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love that they pulled out the "your client is guilty" card in a case 3 of all places. I wouldn't have been surprised if they _never_ went back to that well, and then they just bust it out again out of nowhere.
Man, I was so ready for the perfect prosecutor being evil and maybe forging evidence and all that bullshit again, especially when he slammed the desk with his damn foot! Then the defendant is the one tampering evidence?! Just so good!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Interesting to have a case without any court segments. Kinda feels like a second tutorial case.

Aside from that, man Kazuma's death is just sad. It's easy to contrast with the other hypercompetent mentor death in the original trilogy. Mia was more or less killed in the line of duty, murdered in cold blood by a corrupt powerful man whose crimes she hoped to expose, and indeed, her death sets events in motion that do expose his crimes. Kazuma's death is just... meaningless, a freak accident/misunderstanding caused by a scared 15-year-old girl. And at least Mia could visit...

I think it's also a death that "ages" better, so to speak. As time went on with Mia it became increasingly hard to forget that she was murdered by the second dumbest culprit in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That's certainly one way to end it - pulling the "defendant is guilty" card for only the second time and the plot twist with the omnibus being set on fire? There's definitely something brewing in the background; the cross-examinations were really good in this case.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all weren't lying about the length of case 1-1, over a day after starting the game and it's still going 🥵

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Is this an okay place to jump in for somebody who is new to Ace Attorney?! For reference I like Professor Layton and the entire Danganronpa and Zero Escape series.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of the focus is on the actual cases right now, but digging into the music gallery is actually super neat. It's really cool listening to some of the unused "what could have been" tracks and reading about them.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Yeah, this case is easily the weakest of both games and just kind of screams that it's there out of obligation to tradition. Gotta be a tutorial, gotta slap Payne around. It was pretty cool that an animation prop turned out to be a witness, but a lot of us played the demo that was released and we noticed the ink on his hand so it was pretty easy to guess he'd be important.
Yeah, it' just really straightforward. Cool to play as Susato, though. Minememo and Auchi's respective breakdowns were both high quality.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

Someone tell me there's an ace attorney wiki with a bunch of reaction gifs. these are too good.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

Loooooove both of these.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I'm really wishing I hadn't given in and watched an LP of the first few cases a while back since I'd kind of given up hope that this would ever get localized. Unfortunately, that means going through these first 3 cases will probably be a bit of a slog since I already know what happens.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
So Kazuma's katana is named Karuma and it slices evil in two?

Huh. ...Huh.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
Damn, I'm really wishing I hadn't given in and watched an LP of the first few cases a while back since I'd kind of given up hope that this would ever get localized. Unfortunately, that means going through these first 3 cases will probably be a bit of a slog since I already know what happens.

You could just skip the cases you've seen and start from case 4, couldn't you? I'm in the same boat but I watched an LP of the whole entire first game, so I just skipped it all and started straight on the second.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
You could just skip the cases you've seen and start from case 4, couldn't you? I'm in the same boat but I watched an LP of the whole entire first game, so I just skipped it all and started straight on the second.

Unless I overlooked something I don't think that's an option. Skipping games is one thing since it's a collection but not individual cases in a game.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
From what I can tell the slow and choppy (due to commas etc) text along with all the sound effects, screen shakes and flashes are a series staple so fans might think what I'm about say is blasphemy but it's honestly a major annoyance for me who's new to the series. It makes the game borderline unplayable. Hopefully I'll just get used to it. I turned off screen flash and tried without Sound effects but the latter felt even worse.

Ivol

Dec 12, 2017
What a GORGEOUS day for Amazon to NOT deliver my game on the supposed day. I guess I'll wait to play tomorrow after work *sigh*

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I loved DGS1 so I will go through it again. I loved that game so I'm happy to revisit it again with all of you