• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Thread Q+A!
OP
OP
Moogle

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
It's launch day! 🎉 I was curious about the split between old and new fans, so I have some questions for the thread.

hmmaejoe.gif

If this is your first Ace Attorney game:

• How did you find out about the series?
  • What appealed to you about this game?
  • How are you liking it so far?

If you've played one or more Ace Attorney games previously:

What is your favourite (and why):
  • Game
  • Individual case
  • Main character (inc. assistants)
  • Witness
  • Prosecutor
  • Soundtrack
🚨 Please put answers inside descriptive spoiler tags where necessary for those who haven't played every game ie. "Spoiler: Trials and Tribulations - case 5" 🚨

...seriously... use those tags

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Man I love how hateful they make the witnesses/suspects in these games. I've never wanted to take down a video game enemy more.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Quick settings question: in the DS/3DS games, it's possible to show the whole dialogue box by clicking A, skipping the displaying animation of the text.
Is this not possible here? I'm on switch. It's a bit annoying having to wait for the whole text to appear...

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Quick settings question: in the DS/3DS games, it's possible to show the whole dialogue box by clicking A, skipping the displaying animation of the text.
Is this not possible here? I'm on switch. It's a bit annoying having to wait for the whole text to appear...
It is in options as skip text under gameplay. It is off by default.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
They need a patch allow you to skip text if you're on Autoplay.
Cross Examinations are a pain with it on, and you can't deactivate it before pressing someone

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I wouldn't worry to much about realism in Ace Attorney games.

This kind of "real lawyer reacts to Ace Attorney" video is worthless since only they only tend to feature American lawyers talking about the US justice system (haven't watched the linked video, but I would be surprised if I was mistaken). The Ace Attorney series is a satire of the Japanese justice system, at least the way it used to be when the series first started. From what I've heard, it touches upon some very serious issues in Japanese courts that make no sense from an American perspective, so obviously, anyone trying to see it from a US perspective is going to see it as unrealistic.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Case 2 hasn't really grabbed me so far, but I enjoyed the deduction/correction thing a lot. Fun use of the 3D graphics.

EchosMyron

Jun 29, 2018
  • Game
  • Individual case
  • Witness
  • Prosecutor
  • Soundtrack

Game: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, for a mix of sentimental reasons and more universally applicable ones. I do think the first Ace Attorney is a top tier entry into the series but what pushes it over the edge are the irreplaceable junior high memories of just being so unbelievably enamored with the game. Sneaking sessions in wherever I could, I had a particularly inattentive music teacher that helped with that. Plus it was my de facto introduction to the adventure genre (along with Another Code) which subsequently became a favorite of mine. So I associate it with discovering this whole new kind of experience for games. Thinking in terms of pure design and craft AA3, AI2 and GAA 1/2 do a lot of things better, but the nostalgia factor will make it so AA1 is always my favorite.

Individual Case: The Forgotten Turnabout from Ace Investigations 2. I really like the cases in AA that pack a big emotional punch and this one had a lot going on with Kay and Sebastian that hit hard for me. Might be some recency bias here because I somewhat recently replayed AI2, but yeah, really love that case.

Main Character: Maya Fey, she's just so much fun to interact with, serves as the emotional core of a lot of my favorite AA cases and has too many classic lines of back & forth banter with Phoenix. Gumshoe is up there too for sheer lovability but I gatta go with Maya.

Witness: Lotta Hart, a lot of people find her super annoying but I always thought she was hilarious.

Prosecutor: Gatta go with Van Zieks. I guess since I haven't finished the 2nd GAA yet there's still room for him to fall from grace. But the style, the mysteries surrounding him, the godly visual gags of him tossing wine glasses and slamming his leg on the bench... He totally steals the show for a lot of GAA and you can tell Shu Takumi loved writing him.

Soundtrack: Great Ace Attorney, Ace Attorney has always had incredible OSTs but with GAA it's like every track is a 10/10 that I can loop for hours. Plus it compliments the setting of the game so well.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I saw people talking about case 1,
the burn mark. The particular type of plate they use in Japan to serve steak on is in fact hot enough to leave a severe burn mark if you touch it for more than a few seconds. It's basically used to keep the steak warm.

Edit: Oh, I think I misremembered the issue you guys had with the case. You can ignore me lol

Last edited:

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
1-1 is definitely too long for its own good, unfortunately. Hopefully it doesn't turn people off too much.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
It feels so good to finally be playing this game. I starten on GAA2-3 since I did the fan translation for the earlier ones, and this is a super good case so far.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
are there any pro/cons to different platforms on this? I imagine switch portable runs just fine?

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
  • Game: Trials and Tribulations
  • Individual case: maaaan, this is a tossup between Bridge to the Turnabout, Turnabout Goodbyes, and Farewell, My Turnabout. Though my heart goes with Bridge.
  • Main character (inc. assistants): Edgeworth.
  • Witness: When something smells it's usually the Butz.
  • Prosecutor: Edgeworth.
  • Soundtrack: Apollo Justice.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

• Game
  • Individual case
  • Witness
  • Prosecutor
  • Soundtrack

Game: Trials and Tribulations. IMO it has the most consistent set of cases in the series- not a bad one in the bunch. Shoutouts to 3-2 and 3-3 in particular for being the best "filler" cases in the series- they really help shore up AA3 as a whole.

Individual Case: Bridge to the Turnabout (3-5). Don't know what else to say, it's everything the trilogy has been building towards and it delivered in all fronts. The mystery is fantastic, the fanservice is fantastic, it's got it all.

Main Character: Ryunosuke Naruhodo. I've only played though the first GAA via the fan translation, but he has such good development that I'm easily comfortable ranking him this highly. I'm so thrilled for others to get to fall in love with him, and of course for myself to finally get to play GAA2!!

Witness: Dick Gumshoe, but that's totally cheating, so other than him, it's gotta be Wendy Oldbag.
Oldbag is retty flanderized in her subsequent appearances, but the moment in 1-3 when she finally realizes what's going on with Jack Hammer and drops the act is IMO one of the strongest character moments in the series. It's super short, but it's a sad, sad scene that has always has always stuck with me.

Prosecutor: Franziska von Karma. Her design is aces, she's funny as hell, and I love her relationships with Edgeworth, Gumshoe and Nick.

Soundtrack: Okay so it's gotta be Apollo Justice, Layton vs Ace Attorney, or The Great Ace Attorney. Definitely one of them. But it's impossible to pick. I'd maybe lean towards AJ since it has such a unique sound compared to the rest of the series? I dunno.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
Strange that this collection is 30FPS, where the 3DS games 60FPS?

Last edited:

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
  • Game: Trials and Tribulations. Amazing conclusion to the story set up from the very first game, and the best high-stakes final case in the series.
  • Individual case: Final case of Trials and Tribulations. But the epic finale of Spirit of Justice is a VERY close second.
  • Main character (inc. assistants): Phoenix Wright. Favourite non-main character is Dhurke from Spirit of Justice because duh.
  • Witness: Metal/music dude from Case 1 of Spirit of Justice. What a unique experience lol.
  • Prosecutor: Edgeworth, but Klavier and Blackquill are also fantastic.
  • Soundtrack: Spirit of Justice.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
1-1 is definitely too long for its own good, unfortunately. Hopefully it doesn't turn people off too much.

The only thing "turning me off" so far is the text speed. If I put on the option to skip I ended up having to hit the history button every few minutes, if I keep it of the text speed c-r-a-w-l-s s-o s-l-o-w-l-y

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

• Game
  • Individual case
  • Witness
  • Prosecutor
  • Soundtrack

I can only really answer soundtrack, because it's been so long since I played an ace attorney game that I don't remember any of the characters or plot anymore (perfect chance to play them all after tgaa though). And even my soundtrack answer is cheating since I don't think it's in the games, but:

Bonus track with the 10 hour rainy mood version:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing "turning me off" so far is the text speed. If I put on the option to skip I ended up having to hit the history button every few minutes, if I keep it of the text speed c-r-a-w-l-s s-o s-l-o-w-l-y

It's a bummer, but that's Ace Attorney. There are definitely some great moments here and there throughout the series where they use the text animations/text syncing to character animations to great effect, but having an instant text speed would be perfectly fine the other 99% of the time. Shame they still don't offer the option and just decided to give you, as you say, a very wonky text skip option.

Cheat engine's speedhack helps on PC, though it obviously fucks the audio in FMVs up. I've been playing at 2x speed and it feels good to me. Perfect speed for auto-read/story mode too.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's launch day! 🎉 I was curious about the split between old and new fans, so I have some questions for the thread.

hmmaejoe.gif

• Game
  • Individual case
  • Witness
  • Prosecutor
  • Soundtrack

Game is Ace Attorney Investigations 2, I think it has the best balance of compelling characters, cases, general game pacing, and twists that actually caught me off guard.

Individual Case is 2-4, especially after a game that had been pretty weak to have such a crazy case as the finale really won me over

Main Character has to be Phoenix, with honorable mentions to Athena, Trucy, and Edgeworth

Witness has to be Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin, never has a pun made me put down my controller/handheld because I couldn't breathe. It still makes me laugh to this day.

Soundtrack... oh god can I pass? They're all incredible

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

hmmaejoe.gif

• Game
  • Individual case
  • Witness
  • Prosecutor
  • Soundtrack
🚨 Please put answers inside descriptive spoiler tags where necessary for those who haven't played every game ie. "Spoiler: Trials and Tribulations - case 5" 🚨

...seriously... use those tags

• Game: Spirit of Justice - Has its fair share of lows but I really enjoyed its highs.
  • Individual case: I really can't pick between 2-4 (Farewell, My Turnabout), AAI2-3 (The Inherited Turnabout) or GAA1-3 (The Adventure of the Runaway Room).
  • Main character (inc. assistants): Apollo - I like how much of a gung-ho loudmouth he can be.
  • Witness: Uendo Toneido from Spirit of Justice, he almost entirely carries an otherwise pretty lacklustre case.
  • Prosecutor: Edgeworth is too obvious a pick so I'll split it between Blackquill and Debeste for their own reasons.
  • Soundtrack: The Great Ace Attorney - I think they finally nailed a hi-def AA soundtrack after several attempts that I didn't like quite as much.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
Another Japanese game that has the mouse cursor still showing with a controller lol. Besides that, I'm enjoying it so far.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, one thing that's bugging me in case 1-1: why do japanese game always feel the need to add locations with french names, but always with some grammatical error?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I would normally only play this in handheld mode (It's Ace Attorney!) but I was curious to try this in docked mode on my 65' CX and wow, it looks awesome!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Strange that this collection is 30FPS, where the 3DS games 60FPS?
They were not. None of the 3D Ace Attorney games run at 60 FPS on original hardware.

It may be possible to hit 60+ in an emulator though. And if that actually works, this game should be patched to run at a higher framerate.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Can't believe I still haven't received my key from Nuuvem :(

First time this happens, so ok I guess...

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
I like Ryunosuke's voice, but I will say that I wish his "Objection!" had a little more punch to it--hearing it for the first time after hearing Kazuma's so much throughout the first case was kinda underwhelming.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just popping in here to say that this game has been more than worth the 6 year wait for me so far, 10 hours played already and I just can't stop. Won't spoil anything because I've been unspoiled so far and am truly grateful for it but I just want to strongly recommend this to everyone and anyone reading. The 3rd case/adventure/whatever is an utter delight, the best thing I've played in a game in quite a while.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Just downloaded and played for an hour. It is such a delight to play a new game in the franchise.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of "real lawyer reacts to Ace Attorney" video is worthless since only they only tend to feature American lawyers talking about the US justice system (haven't watched the linked video, but I would be surprised if I was mistaken). The Ace Attorney series is a satire of the Japanese justice system, at least the way it used to be when the series first started. From what I've heard, it touches upon some very serious issues in Japanese courts that make no sense from an American perspective, so obviously, anyone trying to see it from a US perspective is going to see it as unrealistic.
You're right, but I'm fairly certain that Ace Attorney only loosely follows Japanese law as it is. I'm not a Japanese law expert, but a lot of the last minute evidence, last minute witnesses, outbursts that happen in the game probably aren't allowed in courts over there, so it's best to take the games with the biggest grain of salt that you can find.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Is that really how Kazuma dies? Tripping? Damn.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain

This series has parrots and whales as witnesses in court. Any attempt at seriously criticizing the franchise because of the way it unrealistically portrays the justice system is missing the point to me. There's only some truth to that criticism when the series tries to give moral lessons about anything specific about the systems in place and it falls completely flat. Which thankfully has been a rare occurance.

With that said, that video is pretty funny.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
You're right, but I'm fairly certain that Ace Attorney only loosely follows Japanese law as it is. I'm not a Japanese law expert, but a lot of the last minute evidence, last minute witnesses, outbursts that happen in the game probably aren't allowed in courts over there, so it's best to take the games with the biggest grain of salt that you can find.

The games in the series other than The Great Ace Attorney are set in a fictional period when a special court was created to deal with the massive influx of legal cases. The games gloss over it most of the time, so it's easy to forget that any trial in those games only lasts a maximum of 3 days and that any guilty verdict reached in them doesn't necessarily mean that the defendant goes to jail, but that he/she gets their case moved to another, more traditional court. The implication is that not everything has to be done "by the book" in this new court since its primary function is to act as a filter to get rid of cases before they clog up too much of the system. At least that's what I picked up from these games.

This obviously doesn't work for The Great Ace Attorney, though. At this point it has become such a series staple that we're no longer meant to question it, I think.

In any case, the Japanese system that these games are a satire of feature things such as:
  • Celebrity prosecutors that are well-paid and who work closely with the police.
  • Defense attorneys who are paid horribly and considered scum for doing the work that they do.
  • Withholding evidence until the last moment is perfectly okay, at least for the prosecution.
  • Defense attorneys are not allowed to investigate crime scenes, and the police cannot share info with them.
  • Any defendant brought to court is automatically assumed to be guilty, with a 99% conviction rate.

At least this is my understanding of it. Articles have been written about AA's legal inspirations that go into more and better detail than I can provide. Suffice to say, from a western standpoint, some of the Japanese legal systems of the time would have come off as ludicrous. This is extra apparent when western lawyers try to analyze the series from a US standpoint. Ace Attorney simply does not work as a satire of the US legal system and was never meant to.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
Was able to order a physical Switch copy with regional pricing, feels great, starting to see more regional pricing in general in Latin America (Mainly Sega, Steam, indies, some Namco anime games.)

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
...I seriously don't understand questions about the framerate for a game like this.

Like is advancing text in 30 fps really a problem, lol.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I have to say, one thing that's bugging me in case 1-1: why do japanese game always feel the need to add locations with french names, but always with some grammatical error?
Not just games. Besides English, French is the next most proliferous foreign language used with abandon over there. I knew a bunch of little stores and bakeries with "fake French" names when I lived there.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Case 1 down, it was a bit slow going in the first half and one bit towards the end felt wholly unnecessary for what was already a surprisingly long first case, but I choose to believe it's all up from here!