• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EchosMyron

Jun 29, 2018
So psyched to finish where I left off with the Scarlet Study translation. Gonna replay both games back to back afterward. Every time I start this game up again I'm overcome by how much I love it. Each song on the OST hits so damn hard.

Oct 28, 2017
Did the Japanese version release ages ago and if so did it get a language update? I'm in Tokyo and wondering if I can play in English with a local version.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a recommendation on dub or sub for this?

Both sound good so it's really up to you. Most of the time you will be in London rather than Japan so maybe the English VA will be more fitting for the setting, but beyond that it's really up to personal preference. You can switch it up whenever you want so get a feel for the clips you like and go with that one.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
Never played an Ace Attorney game but I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. I think I'll probably be terrible at figuring out the cases but it looks fun either way.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes the text has orange words. Are those just to highlight important terms, or are they added added to the book or something? Never played AA before.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Both sound good so it's really up to you. Most of the time you will be in London rather than Japan so maybe the English VA will be more fitting for the setting, but beyond that it's really up to personal preference. You can switch it up whenever you want so get a feel for the clips you like and go with that one.
You can always do Japanese for when they are in Japan and English when they get to England :)

Ah flipping between the two like that sounds perfect.

Also i haven't played an ace attorney game in years but there isn't a true ending or anything like that for these games right? I should be good to go without worrying about my decisions?

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Heads up UK people, if you ordered from 365 games, they have started shipping the physical game since last night.

Oct 25, 2017
First trial just went on forever lol and honestly didn't make a lick of sense with how it turned out.
yeah, i have to admit it was all a bit much -- and the resolution wasn't super satisfying. i kind of made me miss simpler times with larry and the thinker statue, lol. when we're getting into part three in case one it's just like... ooookay this is going to take a while

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Never played an Ace Attorney game but I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. I think I'll probably be terrible at figuring out the cases but it looks fun either way.
If it's anything like the original trilogy some of the solutions will probably be a little unusual or weird! Try and think outside the box.

Also sometimes the internal logic of the originals could be a little bit flawed e.g. not being able to present evidence until a particular point. Curious to see if these two have the same thing going on

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Still haven't received my code from gmg 😭
Don't really need it now, but it'd be great to be able to download it at least.

Jul 24, 2018
This will rejuvenate the series. AA7 is coming. BELIEVE.

9a3d6e046005f6034da4c7c7319af219.gif
Maybe then Apollo and Trucy will finally meet their mother.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It's interesting that they toned down the racism in certain aspects while leaving it intact in others. The first case originally had someone repeatedly call the Japanese monkeys and barbarians (if you've played it, you know which character) but that's been removed although she's still very overtly racist. I actually just looked at the site for the fan translation and they had a post saying the Japanese version of the game was patched a few months ago to alter that text as well. I'm sure the recent outcry and awareness over anti-Asian racism in the west was part of that decision. I remember there being some really bad examples later in the game as well so I'm curious how it'll be here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
It's interesting that they toned down the racism in certain aspects while leaving it intact in others. The first case originally had someone repeatedly call the Japanese monkeys and barbarians (if you've played it, you know which character) but that's been removed although she's still very overtly racist. I actually just looked at the site for the fan translation and they had a post saying the Japanese version of the game was patched a few months ago to alter that text as well. I'm sure the recent outcry and awareness over anti-Asian racism in the west was part of that decision. I remember there being some really bad examples later in the game as well so I'm curious how it'll be here.

Well, it's definitely still pretty overt later on.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
If the game takes place in London, did they switch the legal system from a parody of Japanese law to English common law? It might make the legal aspect a little less annoying for me, although I am sure every witness commits perjury a million times and the judge immediately believes a witness 100% even though they have been caught lying 20 times earlier in the testimony.... Oh well, the characters are always fun in these games.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If the game takes place in London, did they switch the legal system from a parody of Japanese law to English common law? It might make the legal aspect a little less annoying for me, although I am sure every witness commits perjury a million times and the judge immediately believes a witness 100% even though they have been caught lying 20 times earlier in the testimony.... Oh well, the characters are always fun in these games.

If you were hoping for significantly fewer courtroom antics you may be somewhat disappointed, though the jury system in the British court means that it's a lot more believable for a gullible/biased jury member to take a witness at face value. It is, on the whole, a little bit more restrained than the main series with respect to wacky witnesses though.

OP
OP
Moogle

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Steam version unlocking way earlier than usual for me (7/8pm) was a very positive surprise.

Anyone know if you can enable and disable the story mode thing freely? I sometimes get stuck in these games and looking for a walkthrough in those cases is always a bit risky, so it'd be nice if you could enable story mode for just a minute to get over those roadblocks.

Story mode can be toggled mid-game, yeah.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that bugs me about the first case
was the damn steak, lol. It really stands out that it's on the wrong side of the table when you establish she was there and the one eating the food, but it mostly gets talked about as a footnote when she confesses that she put the steak in front of him after he died. But then how did he get the burn mark? She put the steak in front of him before he drank the poison?

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that bugs me about the first case
was the damn steak, lol. It really stands out that it's on the wrong side of the table when you establish she was there and the one eating the food, but it mostly gets talked about as a footnote when she confesses that she put the steak in front of him after he died. But then how did he get the burn mark? She put the steak in front of him before he drank the poison?
she briefly mentioned that she made sure he was sitting properly so as to not cause a scene. so it's possible during that adjustment his hand was left on the plate for a few seconds before she noticed. but yeah -- it's a bit much.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
she briefly mentions that she makes sure he was sitting properly so as to not cause a scene, so it's possible during that adjustment his hand was left on the plate for a few seconds before she noticed, but yeah -- it's a bit much
This is what I assumed; she probably put his hands near the steak to make it look like he as eating it, and left his wrist on the hot (90 degrees, jesus) part of it. To be honest, that isn't the most baffling part of the case; the fact the game purposfully glosses over her motive (I suspect that's something the second game will address) bothers me more.

Still a good first episode, just flawed. Ryunsouke's character is great.

Last edited:

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Just starting :-) very excited I own all the games on DS up to Apollo & never played them

just beat the trilogy on PS4 a month back so it's nice to have it back in my life so soon.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
If you were hoping for significantly fewer courtroom antics you may be somewhat disappointed, though the jury system in the British court means that it's a lot more believable for a gullible/biased jury member to take a witness at face value. It is, on the whole, a little bit more restrained than the main series with respect to wacky witnesses though.
Ah cool. Yeah, I was always a bit annoyed that a judge who presides over a ton of murder trials is 100% bamboozled by every prosecution witness, so a change to a jury system where inexperienced jurors are fooled by the witnesses does make it more tolerable. I do love me some wacky witnesses though... I think I am going to go ahead and try it on PC, just kinda sucks to play these games on ultrawidescreen monitors with the black borders.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Ah cool. Yeah, I was always a bit annoyed that a judge who presides over a ton of murder trials is 100% bamboozled by every prosecution witness, so a change to a jury system where inexperienced jurors are fooled by the witnesses does make it more tolerable. I do love me some wacky witnesses though... I think I am going to go ahead and try it on PC, just kinda sucks to play these games on ultrawidescreen monitors with the black borders.
If you're going in expecting the judge not to be hilariously stupid... You're going to have a bad time

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The first cast was pretty damn long lol but I enjoyed it. The only thing I thought was missing was that I couldn't really understand any motivation for why the killer did what they did.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone found a way to adjust volume or even disable certain sound effects on PC? The text progress sound is very, very frustratingly loud. Not only do I think it's in general an annoying sound in itself, but it's constantly overpowering the background music. Turning sound effects off completely is even worse, though.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
still deeply annoyed Capcom didn't bother with a physical release in Europe, like straight up cheap ass motherfuckers. They pulled the same garbage with Megaman 11.

My amazon JP preorder for the full collection got cancelled at the last second so now the cheapest option would be going digital, really fucking aggravating.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
still deeply annoyed Capcom didn't bother with a physical release in Europe, like straight up cheap ass motherfuckers. They pulled the same garbage with Megaman 11.

My amazon JP preorder for the full collection got cancelled at the last second so now the cheapest option would be going digital, really fucking aggravating.

If you are in the UK, 365 games tend get import games such AA.

PS4 GAA physical: https://www.365games.co.uk/ps4-games/the-great-ace-attorney-chronicles-ps4-game-ntsc-j-version

Switch GAA physical: https://www.365games.co.uk/nintendo...-chronicles-nintendo-switch-game-ntsc-version

Although if it's the full collection (GAA+AA123), then unfortunately we are out of luck.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Posting Unmarked Spoilers
Finished up the first case though its my third time experiencing it.
Despite the localisation making things infinitely more fun, the ending is still a bit messy with the inexplicable leaps of logic needed to be made. I especially love how the 'exotic gentlelady' is able to physically swerve a man's limp corpse around on a chair while two men are made to wait not a table-length away from her and either not catch her in the act, or refuse to fess up even after their secrecy excuse is gone. Still, love a lot of cheese in my AA so its by no means detracts from the story, just something I found funny.

While I'm excited to see how the localisers handled some of my favourite characters from the first game, its the second game I'm really eager to delve into, since I've only seen a playthrough of that and not tried the fan translation. For those of you going in blind, you're in for a treat - have fun!

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tags

Last edited by a moderator:

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
If you are in the UK, 365 games tend get import games such AA.

PS4 GAA physical: https://www.365games.co.uk/ps4-games/the-great-ace-attorney-chronicles-ps4-game-ntsc-j-version

Switch GAA physical: https://www.365games.co.uk/nintendo...-chronicles-nintendo-switch-game-ntsc-version

Although if it's the full collection (GAA+AA123), then unfortunately we are out of luck.
unfortunately I'm not from the UK and looking at various prices it's now much cheaper to just get the digital Turnabout collection at 60 euros which is disappointing as I like getting physical games when it makes sense (so single player focused content).

I guess Capcom is saving me money because there is no rush for me to get the game anytime soon considering my current backlog so I might as well wait for a digital sale on Switch

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
If it's anything like the original trilogy some of the solutions will probably be a little unusual or weird! Try and think outside the box.

Also sometimes the internal logic of the originals could be a little bit flawed e.g. not being able to present evidence until a particular point. Curious to see if these two have the same thing going on
Thank you for the tips! My wife and I are going to try and play it together so she will help with figuring things out as sometimes I'm not too good with such things.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
unfortunately I'm not from the UK and looking at various prices it's now much cheaper to just get the digital Turnabout collection at 60 euros which is disappointing as I like getting physical games when it makes sense (so single player focused content).

I guess Capcom is saving me money because there is no rush for me to get the game anytime soon considering my current backlog so I might as well wait for a digital sale on Switch

It's honestly fustrating how Capcom are such cheapskates when it comes to physical games for Europe/UK. The only time we get it physical if the games are AAA such as Resident, Monster Hunter and DMC.

But yeah, knowing Capcom digital games, they will get a good sale rather soon.

Oct 25, 2017
ha, okay i wasn't sure how the shlomes things was going to play out, but the deduction sequence has *a lot* of future potential

Last edited: