• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Would this game be of any interest for fans of courtroom dramas/true crime? Me and my girlfriend love Dateline/48 hours/ 20-20, and we especially love seeing how the lawyers create stories out of the evidence to defend/prosecute. We've thought about how a lawyer videogame would be very cool. Does this pull it off? Also does it have full voice acting, that's sort of needed for us to play games together.

It could be of interest. It generally handles the lawyer stuff well. It doesn't have full VA. Only animated cutscenes do with most of the game being unvoiced.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Somehow got mine delivered a day early (that hasn't happened since Persona 5). About halfway through case 1.

I somehow missed the whole "Story mode" addition (though I see it in the OP). Not something I'd use, but it's a cool addition. Actually, once I finish the game, it might be funny to turn that and autoplay on and basically use the game as background noise. :P

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Would this game be of any interest for fans of courtroom dramas/true crime? Me and my girlfriend love Dateline/48 hours/ 20-20, and we especially love seeing how the lawyers create stories out of the evidence to defend/prosecute. We've thought about how a lawyer videogame would be very cool. Does this pull it off? Also does it have full voice acting, that's sort of needed for us to play games together.
Yes, I'd say these games may be right up your alley, though note what you'd be getting into, such as some specifics for these two entries: they take place at the turn of the 20th century, and are based on the adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Expect more fantastic, "singular" crimes. In general, the mysteries and crimes are fairly elaborate and twisty in the Ace Attorney series. GAA seems to be a bit more grounded, but that's relatively speaking.

The gameplay is focused around the thrill of a turnabout; the thrill of turning an argument (and the court) upside down, and unravelling the mystery in each case in the process. You build logical links between the facts of the case and slowly poke holes at testimony and opposing arguments until you reach the truth. If what you're looking for is thrilling arguments and deducations using the courtroom setting, yes, absolutely, it's easy to recommend. But primarily the court is used solve the mystery in each episode.

Also, as mentioned above, the games do not feature full voice acting. Voice acting is mostly reserved for animated cutscenes. The games are basically novel-esque—nothing but text outside of the point and click segments.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely adjacent at a minimum. You are generally put into courtroom situations defending your client, but it eventually shifts to the offensive as you must nail the culprit to prove your client's innocence. If you're into trying to connect the web of evidence to craft a narrative, the courtroom segments should be a blast.

The investigation segments, ymmv. They've gotten much more interactive, but those (and the game as a whole) are quite reading heavy. Basically depends on your appetite for reading. If you're down, there's almost nothing else like it.

Apr 2, 2021
Thanks for the replies!This sounds fun and like what we always wanted. Really, really wish there was voice acting but I'll show my girlfriend some videos of the game and see if we think this would be a good purchase

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
My Switch copy arrived from Best Buy today. Going to go ahead and play it while waiting for my Japanese PS4 version which I will play later with my bf.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Huh, good to know, this is the release time of the Steam release.

Release.png

The search string for those who want to check it out themselves.

Last edited:

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Like others, I got the Switch physical a day early and I'm sort of in shock. First time that's ever happened. The holy grail is finally mine! :p

Unfortunately, I'm committed to Neo:TWEWY this week so this little stroke of luck is in vain. Oh well, lol.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017

I'd read that the team had to make a desperate pitch to greenlight a sequel to finish the story, so I imagine this is gratifying to see. I really hope it translates into sales.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017

I'd read that the team had to make a desperate pitch to greenlight a sequel to finish the story, so I imagine this is gratifying to see. I really hope it translates into sales.

The budget was also heavily cut as well, but still is considered better than the first despite that.

Oct 25, 2017
they probably change this after or during the first case, but it's a little goofy that they literally translated what must be "hai!" call-outs to "yes!" in english

i know next to nothing about japanese so i might just be totally wrong here -- i mean, i guess something like "excuse me" or "uhh" or something would have been pretty awkward too

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
they probably change this after or during the first case, but it's a little goofy that they literally translated what must be "hai!" call-outs to "yes!" in english

i know next to nothing about japanese so i might just be totally wrong here -- i mean, i guess something like "excuse me" or "uhh" or something would have been pretty awkward too

They use 'scuse me for pursuits later on.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Hmmm I'm not getting any sound for some reason: using the steam version

edit figured it out

Last edited:

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my goooooooddddd his little pathetic hand slam that he looks at in confusion 🥺

You'll get better at it, Ryunosuke.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Playing NEO TWEWY but will start this later tonight, really looking forward to it, been listening to the soundtrack for years at this point

Only played the first two cases fan translated, and other than being spoiled on (GAA2 spoiler) Asogi not really being dead I'm going in relatively fresh

Last edited:

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019

I always figured this would be an issue that couldn't be solved. "Hai" can be used in so many different ways that it would be more accurate to translate each instance differently, but that also takes away from the classic Ace Attorney feeling of have that go-to phrase for your character. Having the same word each time also has a different impact, and I would imagine having a different "hai" each time could be a bit more of a logistical nightmare.

Either way, it ends up feeling quite different than the Japanese.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Case 1 done. I'll always be glad that by Ace Attorney 3 they realized that Case 1s could actually be consequential while still being "tutorial" cases.

One of the highlights of the case was seeing Ryunosuke slowly progress and gain confidence through the case, going from his weak table slaps to proper Ace Attorney style finger points.

Though my one complaint would be that about the last fifth or so of the case could have been skipped by simply asking "Hey, can we also see the other one?" Instead we had to take a lot of extra steps. :P

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Snuck in about 20m this morning before I have to start work.

This is the first thing in like 8 months that has actually made me miss my once a week 1 hr commute...

Oct 25, 2017
i have to say, i _adore_ the 3d modelling and animation in modern ace attorney games. i can't believe how faithfully they've recreated the vibe of the GBA games in 3d. it's the sort of thing i would have just assumed impossible to get right.

i know it's been pretty good since aa5, but seeing it on switch is still really, really impressive.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i have to say, i _adore_ the 3d modelling and animation in modern ace attorney games. i can't believe how faithfully they've recreated the vibe of the GBA games in 3d. it's the sort of thing i would have just assumed impossible to get right.

i know it's been pretty good since aa5, but seeing it on switch is still really, really impressive.

It is an absolute wonder. I remember being so skeptical about the jump to 3D, but Dual Destinies immediately put me in my place, and it's just been getting better and better.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I always figured this would be an issue that couldn't be solved. "Hai" can be used in so many different ways that it would be more accurate to translate each instance differently, but that also takes away from the classic Ace Attorney feeling of have that go-to phrase for your character. Having the same word each time also has a different impact, and I would imagine having a different "hai" each time could be a bit more of a logistical nightmare.

I kind of like the "Yes!", though I'm coming at it from just case 1. I think it's kind of funny that every "Yes!" is followed up with a "but no" lol.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've mentioned this before in other topics but what I think really sells the animations is that the majority of them are motion capture while AA5 / 6 were for the most part standard animations, almost in an attempt to mimic the sprite work of the originals. The result is something that comes off so much more natural and immersive

CoolS

Oct 28, 2017
Played for a quick 15 minutes till the start of the first trial. An oh boy, it's great to have a new Ace Attorney to play. I never thought I would get to play this.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
Played for a bit after the game unlocked last night alongside the new TWEWY game.

so good to revisit this universe again after so long

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Actually couldn't sleep last night knowing that this was waiting for me. Just started the first case and I can't believe I'm actually getting to play it in English.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
These animations are so good. I already mentioned Ryunosuke's weak table slam and him looking at it in despair, but I also want to toss one of Auchi's I just saw, where he went from sweating, and pulling a hand over his face to become calm. Very theatrical lol.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I got my copy in the mail earlier today (I rarely ever get games early like this!) and I'm already in the middle of the second case of the first game. I've been waiting so long to play this it feels so good to experience a new Ace Attorney game for the first time. I'm having a really great time so far. Also the music is absolutely wonderful as always, I love Kazuma's theme!

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of the first case but have to stop because i have to get to work. The wait until tonight is going to be painful, the first case is quite slow but there are so many great touches I'm having a blast. The animations are legit.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I think "Wait!" could have worked better in these contexts, but it's also maybe a bit similar to "Hold it!" and they're seemingly holding that back from us in case 1.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just about to start Part 2 of the first trial in the first game.

I've been waiting for these to come overseas for so long, this is really great so far.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Lol first case.

Miss Brett…more like Miss Karen. She's such a racist, yikes.

Edit: hahahaha she even
wants to talk to the manager (minister of Justice) hahaha

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to play this.

Used to be a big AA fan but I kind of quit the series after 5 which did nothing to me.
Then I played GAA1 which I loved but did feel too long... and GAA2's slow start just made me stop at a time I had a lot of other games on my plate.
I'm planning on going all the way through this time.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Steam version unlocking way earlier than usual for me (7/8pm) was a very positive surprise.

Anyone know if you can enable and disable the story mode thing freely? I sometimes get stuck in these games and looking for a walkthrough in those cases is always a bit risky, so it'd be nice if you could enable story mode for just a minute to get over those roadblocks.