• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Moogle

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
So maybe it's not an impediment in the story to start with this, but is it better to play the trilogy (for the first three games) that was released on the Switch, first? Will there references made I could appreciate more if I played the beginning trilogy, first?

Yeah, there's a couple winks. It's nothing significant really. If you already have the trilogy it wouldn't hurt to play them first.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So maybe it's not an impediment in the story to start with this, but is it better to play the trilogy (for the first three games) that was released on the Switch, first? Will there references made I could appreciate more if I played the beginning trilogy, first?

Barely. There are a small number of very small references IIRC (having played through the first game of this collection). It's well and truly stand alone. If you want to start with this one, do so. But the original trilogy is legendary for a reason, so if you want to start there, you absolutely should. It's totally up to you. Either way you're in for an amazing time.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can directly skip to any chapter in any episode you want, so nothing is missable.
The more complex achievements even have a list of items that get checked off.
vol05_07_gl.jpg

I actually read them despite not having played the second game. I don't feel spoiled, though. Probably another case were only people who already know what the spoiler is about can be "spoiled".

Of course you don't feel spoiled, you haven't heard the question it spoils yet. Just because the spoiler isn't something blatant like "Exposed the killer *person* " doesn't mean it isn't a spoiler.

Genuinely curious; Why did you feel the need to tell me this? I KNOW it's a spoiler but I'm not gonna explain why because...it's a spoiler...

Like, what do you want me to say?

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there's a couple winks. It's nothing significant really. If you already have the trilogy it wouldn't hurt to play them first.

Barely. There are a small number of very small references IIRC (having played through the first game of this collection). It's well and truly stand alone. If you want to start with this one, do so. But the original trilogy is legendary for a reason, so if you want to start there, you absolutely should. It's totally up to you. Either way you're in for an amazing time.

Ok, I think I will start with the original trilogy first and see how I like the games. I'm new to the Ace Attorney games.

Thanks!

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I imagine full voiceovers would be way too expensive for a small game like this, considering the sheer amount of text and the numerous characters.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I imagine full voiceovers would be way too expensive for a small game like this, considering the sheer amount of text and the numerous characters.

Also, half the fun is imagining the voices inside your head. The comedic timing of the text boxes and sounds is genius, at least in the original trilogy. Larry Butz etc. would now work with voice-overs. Actually, the cut-scenes with voices in the newer games are mostly cringe, I think.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
Also, half the fun is imagining the voices inside your head. The comedic timing of the text boxes and sounds is genius, at least in the original trilogy. Larry Butz etc. would now work with voice-overs. Actually, the cut-scenes with voices in the newer games are mostly cringe, I think.

Agreed. I feel like a lot of the charm these games and characters have would be lost if everyone was fully voiced tbh.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, I keep forgetting I haven't bought a monitor for my PS4 (I just moved in to LA without any TV), so I won't be able to play this launch time.

What's a good monitor these days that I can use as a second monitor for my MacBook Pro (the touchpad one). I also do some video editing

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
About to boot it up, so excited! BTW those waiting for the digital Ace Attorney Turnabout Collection, it becomes active on the store once TGAAC releases.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I keep forgetting I haven't bought a monitor for my PS4 (I just moved in to LA without any TV), so I won't be able to play this launch time.

What's a good monitor these days that I can use as a second monitor for my MacBook Pro (the touchpad one). I also do some video editing
Can you remote play on your phone? If your internet's good you can use that

Edit: oops, forgot you'll need a screen to set it up. My bad

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The way they handle text in the series is great but this is probably the first game where I wish they had more VA with the English voice cast that they got. Especially when Barok is the same VA as Estinien in FF14.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I'm ready to see what everyone thinks! I loved this set of games. Will likely play through the localizations, see what Janet's team was able to come up with!

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Do we know if the game is 60fps on Switch?

From the IGN India preview of the PC version:

Since The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is largely about talking to various characters, you don't really need an absurdly powerful beast of a gaming PC to be able to play it. It is, however, worth noting that graphics options for those who like tinkering with game performance are minimal. You don't get much other than resolution options. And in terms of frame rate, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is locked at a solid 30 frames per second. This would've been terrible for games that actually depend on high-speed action, but The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is all about the conversations, so the low frame rate isn't too much of a problem.

So 30fps everywhere. Guessing that's due to game logic being tied to frame rate

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine the next Ace Attorney will have full VA, at least for the trials.
I'd be stunned if they even went that far. That's where a good deal of the chitchat is happening, and these games don't exactly have Capcom's full confidence. They couldn't even shore up the resources (people, time, and money) for some of the extra content the dev team wanted for this collection, e.g., a hint system rather than the story mode, which was a debug feature turned into a gameplay option.

Besides the sheer amount of text, the games also program animations to the text roll, and I imagine that poses its own challenges for voice acting. The voiced court segments 6 had the characters speaking very slowly.

RetroHippie

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 12, 2021
This might be a longshot, but does anyone know if the white flashes can be turned off?

I was watching a review and had to stop because during the dialogue exchanges the screen kept flashing white which gives me migraines. I had to play FF7 in 30 fps because of this.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
This might be a longshot, but does anyone know if the white flashes can be turned off?

I was watching a review and had to stop because during the dialogue exchanges the screen kept flashing white which gives me migraines. I had to play FF7 in 30 fps because of this.
It's worth waiting until someone can test for you, but this blog post shows that a screen flash toggle has been added to the menu.
Is there going to be a physical version of the full 5-game set?
There's one in Japan, but not overseas.

OP
OP
Moogle

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. Although I saw someone on here saying the colors/saturation might be off on the switch version? anyone confirm that's true?

I'm playing in handheld mode on Switch and it looks good.

That's promising, thanks. I'll wait to be sure, but if so, I'm sold. Game looks great.

Disabling screen flash is in the game. I've played a bit both with and without it, you can toggle it from the main menu options before starting or via pause during the game at any time.

Last edited:

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Theres definitely a 'Screen Flashes' on and off toggle in the options menu. I've just seen it but haven't tried it

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
My gamestop pre-order shipped today, slated for delivery tomorrow. Very excited, will be going into this 80% blind.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so ready for this.

I got myself in the right frame of mind today by blasting through fellow 1800s attorney simulator, Aviary Attorney, boy that went from "haha birb ace attorney" to some serious business real fast, I'll have to go back through and try and get myself a non crummy ending after GAA
Indeed though it served its purpose, I'm ready

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Unlocked here now, guess I'll play a little of case 1 before sleeping. Wasn't expecting it to unlock at midnight since third parties usually don't.

Apr 2, 2021
Would this game be of any interest for fans of courtroom dramas/true crime? Me and my girlfriend love Dateline/48 hours/ 20-20, and we especially love seeing how the lawyers create stories out of the evidence to defend/prosecute. We've thought about how a lawyer videogame would be very cool. Does this pull it off? Also does it have full voice acting, that's sort of needed for us to play games together.