• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Last 3 tbh, considering AA4 is also only Mobile, DS and 3DS.
True. I'm not as eager for that one though. I think the game itself is pretty good (and I'd say underrated) but the 2D ports to high end hardware just don't look as nice. The DS' low resolution sprites are cleaner.

On the other hand, the 3D models in the later AA games look *great* when scaled up. I love those iPad ports.
How is AA 5 and 6 anyways? I never played those two. I also didn't play the second Investigations game.
5 is fun but I found it disappointing how they threw away some of the more interesting story bits from AA4.

6 is better.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, is there a physical ps4 option somewhere that has English? I bought the last collection in Japanese but putting the disk in made it the English version no problem. Just want to verify if I have a similar choice here.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
How is AA 5 and 6 anyways? I never played those two. I also didn't play the second Investigations game.

Dual Destinies (AA5) sits more in the middle for most people, but it's generally considered good. Spirit of Justice (AA6) is much more liked, and sits near top of the series for most. If you enjoyed the gameplay of Investigations, then Investigations 2 (the fan translation) is excellent - it has a much better overarching story and mystery than the first.

For reference, I rank the games as such: AAI2 -> T&T -> SoJ -> AA (the original) -> DD -> AAI -> AJ -> JFA

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
True. I'm not as eager for that one though. I think the game itself is pretty good (and I'd say underrated) but the 2D ports to high end hardware just don't look as nice. The DS' low resolution sprites are cleaner.

On the other hand, the 3D models in the later AA games look *great* when scaled up. I love those iPad ports.
I don't love how the original trilogy looks in HD, but I think AJ on 3DS looks pretty good and those sprites should look nice upscaled.

OP
OP
Moogle

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Just curious, is there a physical ps4 option somewhere that has English? I bought the last collection in Japanese but putting the disk in made it the English version no problem. Just want to verify if I have a similar choice here.

Japan PS4 with English support - https://www.play-asia.com/the-great-ace-attorney-chronicles-english/13/70eed1
Asia English release - https://www.play-asia.com/the-great-ace-attorney-chronicles-english/13/70efvz

both are on play-asia

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Investigations 2 is bad. Every case is way too long, logic chess sucks and the story can be facepalm worthy. The 4th & 5th cases are decent but the English fan translation really holds them back.

AA5 is decent. Nothing about it is too terrible but there's only a few standout scenes. Athena & Blackquill are great but hampered by Phoenix stealing the plot multiple times. The game is also one long Phoenix Wright case that's split into 3 cases for arbitrary reasons, which is then split up by unrelated cases for Apollo & Athena. Honestly, the game would've been better if Phoenix stayed in the mentor role as the best part of the game was introducing the amazing Athena/Apollo & Apollo/Athena lawyer-assistant pair (which is the best combo in the entire series)

AA6 though is amazing. One of the best games alongside AA1 & AA3. Great villains, great cases, great breakdowns, great music, etc. And it has so many memorable moments. The game really redeemed Apollo Justice in such an amazing way.

That's why it's sad that Takeshi Yamazaki left Capcom last year as there was a clear improvement in his directing & scenario writing from Investigations 1 through AA6. An Ace Attorney 7 with him could've been spectacular.

RetroHippie

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 12, 2021
I've been playing the original trilogy, and the story and gameplay is pretty good, but a lot of the characters are TOO quirky and tedious to cross examine and speak to. I'm not just referring to the circus chapter, but also to the recurring characters like Oldbag and Lotta Hart and the like.

Does this collection ease up on some of the hyperactivity, or not really? $40 is a big gamble without knowing, and the previews I saw didn't really bring this topic up

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

My take: Investigations 2 is very solid. AA5 is the only "bad" game in the series, and is the only one I have trouble replaying. 6 is great. It's worth playing all of them.

I've been playing the original trilogy, and the story and gameplay is pretty good, but a lot of the characters are TOO quirky and tedious to cross examine and speak to. I'm not just referring to the circus chapter, but also to the recurring characters like Oldbag and Lotta Hart and the like.

Does this collection ease up on some of the hyperactivity, or not really? $40 is a big gamble without knowing, and the previews I saw didn't really bring this topic up

I can only speak to the first game in this collection, but while it is maybe a little more grounded than usual, it's still very much an Ace Attorney game at its core, meaning going to be a every bit as quirky as the others. The circus case is commonly regarded as the weakest case in the series, with the characters being a huge part of why. Oldbag and Lotta Hart are also characters with mixed reception, but I do feel they're more often loved than not, so it may be that the tone of the series isn't going to be right for you. Ultimately no matter the AA game, you're going to get your fair share of bizarre, perjury-addicted characters.

Last edited:

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Investigations 2. I like that every chapter is interconnected and it also has the best villain in the series (Haven't played GAA).

AA5 is bad, it feels like all they had was cool ideas but didn't know how to put them together.
AA6 is a lot better, and it has my favorite twist in these games, but it feels a bit contrived and has some of the worst stuff in the series.

AA4 really did some damage to the series, even if I would've really like to see what 5 and 6 would be if they were actual follow ups to that.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like 5 and got a bit burned on the series as a result, so I still haven't played 6. Am looking forward to a second trilogy to play it.

RetroHippie

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 12, 2021
My take: Investigations 2 is very solid. AA5 is the only "bad" game in the series, and is the only one I have trouble replaying. 6 is great. It's worth playing all of them.

I can only speak to the first game in this collection, but while it is maybe a little more grounded than usual, it's still very much an Ace Attorney game at its core, meaning going to be a every bit as quirky as the others. The circus case is commonly regarded as the weakest case in the series, with the characters being a huge part of why. Oldbag and Lotta Hart are also characters with mixed reception, but I do feel they're more often loved than not, so it may be that the tone of the series isn't going to be right for you. Ultimately no matter the AA game, you're going to get your fair share of bizarre, perjury-addicted characters.

Thank you for the answer. I may watch a random 20 minutes of a case to get a feel for it once it's released.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
5's okay. Hurts a bit from the weird way the cases are ordered and them not handling having three protagonists the best, but Athena and Blackquill are great additions to the series and while it doesn't have many stand out parts what's there is done well enough aside from one moment in case 3.

6 is my least favorite sequel trilogy game. It has a good second and fourth case but most of the plot in the later half felt really underdeveloped or rushed, and I thought near every recurring character was handled terribly.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Hmmm. I see. I don't recall being entirely enamored with AA4, so maybe I'd best skip 5 and 6, and just play Investigations 2 instead.

But this is coming out in like 2 days, and I won't be able to hold off, so I might have to play it after šŸ˜‚

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. I see. I don't recall being entirely enamored with AA4, so maybe I'd best skip 5 and 6, and just play Investigations 2 instead.

But this is coming out in like 2 days, and I won't be able to hold off, so I might have to play it after šŸ˜‚

AA4 is totally different from 5 and 6, for better or for worse depending on who you ask, so I really wouldn't let that stop you. I may think 5 is pretty disappointing, but it's worth it so you can move on to 6 which is really fun.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad about the physical situation in europe, but being on PC day and date i can actually do that now to support more of them come over there.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if there is VA in this?

About the same amount of VA as in Spirit of Justice - animated cutscenes, speech bubbles (e.g. "Objection!", "Shut up!", et al.), and the ocasional line (e.g. "We can now see who the killer is..." [source: Twitter video]) during gameplay are voiced, but otherwise, the text is not voice acted. Both English and Japanese VA is available.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About the same amount of VA as in Spirit of Justice - animated cutscenes, speech bubbles (e.g. "Objection!", "Shut up!", et al.), and the ocasional line during gameplay are voiced, but otherwise, the text is not voice acted. Both English and Japanese VA is available.
Thanks, think I've been spoiled with recent VA games.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Nah Apollo Justice is pretty good and has quite a unique "vibe" for the series. It's significantly better than Justice for All and goddamn Investigations 1 lol.
Hard disagree. 4-3 is a nightmare, 4-4 mostly sucks and has a pathetic conclsion, 4-1 has some interesting ideas but completely squanders the new characters.

Which leaves not much in the entire game to be actually worthwhile

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
4-1 is straight up the best opening case in the series, with only AAI 2-1 coming close. It's just too bad the rest of the game isn't able to follow up on the promise it introduces.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
AJ is frustrating because when it's good, it's so good. Could have easily been the best game in the series. I rank it a lot higher than I feel most do, but man do its flaws bum me out. Almost as bummed as I get when I think about how it -and Apollo himself- never truly got the follow up they deserved. AA6 is good, but likeā€¦ that obviously wasn't the original plan, and knowing that we'll never see it is never going to stop stinging.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've always thought 4-4 would be better if it were simply re-structured, as the MASON System and subsequent confrontation with Kristoph always felt weird. I'd personally have structured it like so:

- Keep Day 1 the same
- After Vera collapes, instead continue investgating rather than go straight to flashback
- A new, short investigation segment reveals that Vera was involved in forgery in the Gramarye case
- Flashback trial and investgation in the past (bits of the MASON System that were set in the past)
- Apollo and Phoenix work together with an investgation, which includes the bits of the MASON System that was set in the present day
- Final trial segment, where you start by revealing the Gramarye forgery, then tie Kristoph to it, then proceed like the actual game did (lack of evidence, Jurist System, et al.), as opposed to going straight to fingering Kristoph as the guilty party; perhaps even add some testimony from Phoenix

Also, I'd work on Trucy's character a bit; she acts strangly during the flashback sequence (no emotion) and final trial (also, no emotion)

I say this because the backstory to 4-4 and 4-1 is genuinely quite interesting, so I would just opt to present it in a different way.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if there will ever be anything as outlandish as the prosecution's case in 4-3.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
AJ is frustrating because when it's good, it's so good. Could have easily been the best game in the series. I rank it a lot higher than I feel most do, but man do its flaws bum me out. Almost as bummed as I get when I think about how it -and Apollo himself- never truly got the follow up they deserved. AA6 is good, but likeā€¦ that obviously wasn't the original plan, and knowing that we'll never see it is never going to stop stinging.
The issue is that Shu Takumi originally wrote AA3 to end the series and then again wrote AA4 as a finale. He never planned for either to be followed up on, which is why both end character arcs and write themselves into a corner.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Won't argue about its shortcomings, but still better than 75% of AA2 and Investigations 1.
AA2 is fine other than Bigtop tbh. 2-4 being incredible more than makes up for one stinker, meanwhile AA4 doesn't have anything of that nature.

I honestly don't remember anything about Investigations 1 other than the last case dragging on forever. At least I don't remember most of the game being lacking like I do for AA4