• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think people are really gonna dig the untranslated cases of Great Ace Attorney 2. They're some really good stuff.

I'm getting this at launch but wildling down my backlog before playing these. It'll be neat to see the Japanese/English differences.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the fan-translations, I already played the first game and the first case of the 2nd game, I can't wait to finally finish the fight.

The question is if I should replay the first game or just dive into the 2nd game, also it's crazy that TWEWY2 comes out the SAME day.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mine came in already, but I'm on second shot and have been thoroughly removed from my body for today. Not feeling up to playing. ;-;

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I've been waiting six years to finally play these games. My copy seems to have shipped today, can't express my excitement enough!

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the fan-translations, I already played the first game and the first case of the 2nd game, I can't wait to finally finish the fight.

The question is if I should replay the first game or just dive into the 2nd game, also it's crazy that TWEWY2 comes out the SAME day.

Between the new localization and wanting to savor the experience for as long as I can, I'm definitely looking forward to relaying the first game. And I'll probably use TWEWY to break up the experience some because it's also just too good to ignore…

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Jealous of those with early copies! Amazon / Best Buy never does that for me where I live.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Really looking forward to this. My only worry right now is that Steam appears to have changed the July 27th release date to just "July 2021", and I have no idea why. There is no countdown or anything. I feel confident that it used to state a specific date earlier.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
So excited for this. I really hope Steam will unlock at midnight in my time zone or something, I'm so stoked for this game! I only played the fan translation up to 2-2, so I might replay the 2nd game entirely to get myself more acquainted with what happened, but I also remember thinking 2-2 was just okay so idk. Might just start with 2-3 lol.

Really looking forward to this. My only worry right now is that Steam appears to have changed the July 27th release date to just "July 2021", and I have no idea why. There is no countdown or anything. I feel confident that it used to state a specific date earlier.
I think it's always been a general July release, but I might be wrong.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
So... it looks like the localization is actually having this be set in Japan?

I guess since it's Phoenix's ancestor, you could just handwave him being the descendant of Japanese immigrants in LA...

Are the mainline games still set in "Japanifornia"? Or did they finally give up on that charade?

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
So... it looks like the localization is actually having this be set in Japan?

I guess since it's Phoenix's ancestor, you could just handwave him being the descendant of Japanese immigrants in LA...

Are the mainline games still set in "Japanifornia"? Or did they finally give up on that charade?
Changing this game so Ryunosuke isn't Japanese would've been nigh-impossible. Them being Japanese and meeting British characters such as Sholmes would be tough to localize if both were, say, American.

Mainline games are still Japanifornia, and this game is set so far in the past it doesn't really open up any inconsistencies. The biggest one is Phoenix calling himself "Sherlock Holmes II" in one of the original trilogy games, lol. Phoenix's ancestors moving from Japanese to the US actually makes a lot of sense if you consider that Ace Attorney's US was a lot more kind to and welcoming of Japense immigrants.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Japanifornia is the best. A spirit medium who's obsessed with burgers is hilarious and just fits in with the weirdness that the series emanates.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
So apparently the game has in game achievements which means Switch gets achievements?

OP
OP
Moogle

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
First time I'm actually buying a game from this franchise... wish me luck.

giphy.gif

So apparently the game has in game achievements which means Switch gets achievements?

Yep, they're called Accolades and all 3 versions have them. On the dev blog it was said they didn't want Switch players to feel left out without Trophies/Steam achievements.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Probably going to play the Escapades to get used to any new names/a small refresher, I have a good memory on the first game.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Yessss so excited! Got it on PSN ready to go. I'll probably end up having to wait for the weekend to start, but whatever.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Wait, wait. This includes both Great Ace Attorney games in one package?! Why did I think it was just the first one? Oh man, I was already excited but this is extra hype.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I'm so excited! The original trilogy was one of my favorite game experiences ever. I played the first Apollo game, and one of the Edgeworth spin-offs, but I haven't played a single Ace Attorney game since then. I'm so happy to play these.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Any idea if the cases are unlocked from the beginning? Played the first 4 cases on 3ds using Eng patch

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone's curious about PS4/5 file size, the game is 4.212 GB. A total of 4.4 GB with the DLC installed.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yep, they're called Accolades and all 3 versions have them. On the dev blog it was said they didn't want Switch players to feel left out without Trophies/Steam achievements.
A lot of Capcom games, such as Mega Man 11 and Resident Evil have done this (tracking achievements in-game alongside Steam/XBL/PSN); they're usually quite good about it.

Any idea if the cases are unlocked from the beginning? Played the first 4 cases on 3ds using Eng patch

Yes. You can jump to any case, or any chapter within a case, right from the start.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there supposed to be a bundle including this and the original trilogy together on the eShop? I can't find it.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea when CDJapan usually sends out their orders and how long it usually takes (FedEx priority)? I have the two game physical bundle coming and it hasn't shipped yet (which is fair, given that the game doesn't release until July 29 in Japan).

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
NEO Twewy gets my priority. I have waited far too long for a sequel to that game. Also, I've already played the fan translation of 1. But I think I'll go back through it for a refresher and to see the changes with the official localization. I'll probably use the story mode just to get right through it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Still haven't received my key from Nuuvem, want to see it in my Steam library >_>

Can't wait.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe I get to buy a physical Ace Attorney game in the West again, the world balance is returning

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I am positively buzzing with excitement. These games have become a kind of holy grail to me—in large part, of course, because they were out there, but not in my hands, but also because I was smitten with the look, sound, and premise.

When I finally got a chance to play the first game thanks to Scarlet Study's translation, it really caught me off guard in a few interesting ways. What I expected I largely got, but the game was also surprisingly grounded and melancholic… for an Ace Attorney game, of course. It's certainly not without flaws—the mysteries aren't really that strong and the first case is way too slow—but it was incredibly charming, with some of the best world and character building in the series imo. The game balances an indulgence in the romantic appeals of its period setting alongside of a more frank look at the social tensions at the time rather well, too.

I've been reading (or re-reading) some of Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories in anticipation of this localization, and I'm excited to replay the first game just to see in a new light through the official localization and with my memories of Holmes' adventures fresher. I'm really interested in the localization decisions, and the official translation seems to have a lot more character and more vibrant dialogue. (There were a few reddit threads by a helpful poster that have collected comparisons between the official localization and Scarlet Study's fan translation here for those who are curious about the differences.)

[edited some typos]

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Is it fine if this is my first Phoenix wright? I assume so.. but better make sure.

Yes. These games are spin-offs take take place about just over 100 years before the mainline games. They're completely separate.

I'd imagine there may be a few passing references here and there to the main games you might not get as a result, but otherwise, these are completely fine as your first two games.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so excited for this one. I got burned out on the series after AA3 and couldn't get through AA4. I bought 5 and 6 but never even played them, just wanted to support the series. I feel like this release is dropping at the perfect time. Long enough time has passed that I've been itching to get back to the series, and this is a nice jumping back in point since it's a prequel/fresh start. It also helps that it's on PC too and hope it does well enough to get a AA4-6 collection.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Almost ended up playing the fan translation, but glad I held off.

Too bad NEO TWEWY releases on the same day, but I can wait and see if there'll be any missable trophies on PS4.
The list will probably be similar to the original trilogy, which had a few fun trophies.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's honestly slightly emotional to finally play these games; I've been listening to their soundtracks (minus spoiler themes, as I'm not silly) on/off for the last ~6 years. Songs such as Trial in Disorder and Herlock's theme are some of my favourite Ace Attorney songs, so to actually hear them as they were intended is really something.

Plus, I just miss Ace Attorney. Replaying all 6 games plus AAI/AAI2 (which still stands as the best game in the series) is nice, but playing a new game is something different. Looking forward to Tuesday; I totally plan to stay up at midnight as this unlocks on the eShop.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great OT!

One thing that's confusing me (and making me rethink which version to buy) is that the Switch version looks heavily oversaturated when compared to the PS4 version. No idea why.

gcncontroller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FL
this is a beautiful OT!

absolutely cannot wait to get my copy. been lusting after this game for years and it's nearly here ;_;