• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
bannerbjjmv.jpg

information2akkpb.png

Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Genre: Adventure
Platform: PC, Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch
Release Date: July 27, 2021
Price: $39.99 / €39.99 / £32.99
Languages: English (Subtitles) / English, Japanese (Dual Audio)

'Chronicles' is the North American and European debut of the 'Great Ace Attorney' duology, written by series creator Shu Takumi and newly translated under the direction of Ace Attorney veteran Janet Hsu. 'Adventures' and 'Resolve' were previously only released on Nintendo 3DS (and later mobile) in Japan between 2015 to 2017.

gameplay2cfkx0.png

Gather evidence, solve puzzles, interview witnesses, and battle it out in court as rookie lawyer Ryunosuke Naruhodo; ancestor of Ace Attorney's Phoenix Wright. Encounter a cast of vibrant and memorable characters while solving a series of mysteries in late 19th-century Japan and England.

Investigations
You will visit a variety of locations with detailed backgrounds. Examine these places and objects of interest for clues to aid you in building your case.
Dance of Deduction
Work together with Herlock through the detective's (often baffling) leaps of logic to discover alternate perspectives to your investigation.

g01i3kmw.jpg
g02qsk9w.jpg

Cross-Examination
Uncover vital clues and contradictions in witness testimony during court sessions. Present the evidence and information you have collected to convince the judge and jury of your case.
Summation Examination
During trials in Britain, each member of a 6-person jury will submit their verdict to the Scales of Justice. When the scales are stacked against your client, a Summation Examintion begins. You must expose faults in the jury's reasoning in order to tip the scales back towards a "not guilty" verdict.

g0312jpv.jpg
g045sju2.jpg

characters-and-story28lkby.png

Descriptions from the official website

list-img01pujpr.png
Ryunosuke Naruhodo: The Ancestral Ace Attorney

Phoenix Wright's ancestor and protagonist of this tale, Ryunosuke is a student at the Imperial Yumei University in the Empire of Japan. Although it wasn't his original field of study, his brush with the law set him firmly down the path of an attorney. With a new-found sense of justice, he is travelling to Great Britain in the hopes of learning the latest in legal thought and practice.
list-img02ubk8n.png
Susato Mikotoba: Faithful Judicial Assistant

A learned judicial assistant, Susato is ever ready to help Ryunosuke through any trial. She is a lover of Western detective novels, and is at once a classic Japanese lady of virtue and grace, and a progressive dreamer.
list-img03jajt0.png
Kazuma Asogi: Certified Lawyer and Best Friend

A fellow student at the Imperial Yumei University, Kazuma is also Ryunosuke's best friend. He is a talented man, having passed certification to practise law, despite still being in school. He dreams of studying in Great Britain and bringing that knowledge back in order to revolutionise the Japanese judicial system.
list-img04dgk8b.png
Herlock Sholmes: A Most Singular Great Detective

The world's most famous detective. Sadly, his overly-sharp observations and deductions sometimes cut beyond the heart of the matter to a maddeningly confused conclusion.
list-img051rknq.png
Iris Wilson: Precocious Doctor and Literary Young Lady

Herlock Sholmes's young, little flatmate. Her tender age belies her great achievements. Not only does she hold a medical degree, she is also the author of the fabulously popular serial, 'The Adventures of Herlock Sholmes'.
list-img06pjk4f.png
Barok van Zieks: The Grim Reaper of the Old Bailey

A legendary prosecutor known throughout the judicial world as the 'Reaper'. It is said that not a single soul who stands accused before him can escape his 'final judgment'.

divider57kgd.png

The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures

The Empire of Japan – after opening its doors, a push for cultural transformation brought great waves of Western influence to the Far Eastern island nation. The revolution washed over the land, making life in the capital exciting and unsettling. It was a period of great change, and some were swept away by the tide.

But for one man, the turbulence of that era was just the beginning of an extraordinary story.
game-1vik67.jpg
The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve

The Great Exhibition of London – that grand event that was to be a celebratory last hurrah of the 19th century. But from amongst the glitter and glory of Great Britain's latest achievement, a series of grim crimes began to emerge and come to the fore.

From the Empire of Japan to the British Empire, a sweeping tale that straddles the two island nations is about to take centre stage.
game-2zmkab.jpg

new-features2d0ktx.png

autoabkyk.png

Autoplay Mode: This automatically advances the text for you.
Story Mode: The game handles everything, including making choices and puzzle solving.
Autoplay and Story Mode can be turned on or off at any time during gameplay.

Episodes set in Japan will feature graphical text in its original language for authenticity. When examining an item in the Court Record, a translation will appear as a subtitle.

51277069731_3e547c37bk8jki.jpg

Additional features:
  • Individual on/off settings for background music, sound effects, voices, controller vibrations, and screen flashes.
  • Text box transparency, and the ability to set the time between dialogue lines during Autoplay/Story Mode.
  • Multiple save slots, including one Autosave, and the ability to manually choose which save data you load under 'Load Game' in the Main Menu (selecting 'Continue' will pick up from the latest save file.)
  • Chapter select is available even on a first playthrough - found under 'Select Adventure' in the Main Menu.
  • Accolades... in-game achievements! (Note: using Story Mode will render some of these Accolades unobtainable in that playthrough.)
  • On Nintendo Switch: optional touchscreen input.
  • On PC: 4K monitor support, Steam trading cards, stickers, and more in the points shop.

01xnjn7.jpg
02aokz7.jpg

0399kod.jpg
04vhk40.jpg

additional-content24bj1l.png

Escapades: Eight slice-of-life episodes that portray the daily goings-on behind the scenes of the main game, written by series director Shu Takumi.

Special Exhibitions: Character designs, music tracks, and specially voiced lines are available in these galleries, including newly commissioned art from series art director Kazuya Nuri. Purchases made before September 1, 2021 will also receive additional art and music from the vaults.

order_img01_en9mjg4.jpg
new_img01svjhr.png

Costumes: A set of three costumes for use only in 'The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve' - dress Ryunosuke, Susato, and Sholmes in these alternate outfits (these may not appear in certain scenes.)

Special Videos: Included are two special videos that were shown exclusively at events and thirteen 'Indictment' and 'Adjudication' videos, where players in Japan voted on Ryunosuke's guilt or innocence each evening online and the results were posted the next day. (Japanese voice with English subtitles only.)

faq2zwk2u.png

susatov3kz3.gif

Let's clear a few things up...

I've never played an Ace Attorney game before. Can I start here?
Yes! These 2 games are prequel spin-offs set many years before the other Ace Attorney titles, and can be enjoyed by new players. Having no knowledge of the previous games will not be an impediment to understanding the story.​

How long are these games, approximately?
There are 5 cases in both games, plus 8 side stories. These are text-heavy games, so time to completion will vary depending on the player's reading speed. The video update, A Message from Shu Takumi, puts both games combined at "over 50 hours."​

Will there be a physical release?
There will be:​
  • A US release on Nintendo Switch.
  • Japan releases on both PS4 and Switch.
  • Asia (R3) English releases on both PS4 and Switch.
There are no plans for physical releases in Europe.​

Herlock Sholmes? What's up with that name?
The character's name is Sherlock Holmes in the original Japanese versions of GAA1+2. This was likely changed for the NA/EU release in order to avoid copyright issues with the estate of Arthur Conan Doyle, though Capcom haven't confirmed this. Fun fact: French author Maurice Leblanc, a key influence on the Ace Attorney series, famously used this name in his collection of stories titled 'Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes.'​

Shu Takumi said:
My first encounters with the mystery genre were through Sherlock Holmes and Arsène Lupin.

divider57kgd.png

Finally, localisation director Janet Hsu shared this advice for all players:

Janet Hsu said:
If you're the type to avoid spoilers, then maybe you should hold off on the Gallery and the Auditorium until after you've finished the two main games. The Escapades also contain small spoilers for the first game, The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures, so proceed with caution.

Last edited:

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame there's no physical release in Europe, got this preloaded on my switch though. Going in mostly blind =D

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Anyone else gonna be jumping straight into the second game having played the fan translation? I feel like I need a bit of a recap on the first game's events but don't necessarily want to play through it all again.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else gonna be jumping straight into the second game having played the fan translation? I feel like I need a bit of a recap on the first game's events but don't necessarily want to play through it all again.
I'll be jumping into 2-4 (Scarlet Study has cases 1-3 available of the second game).

The game will flashback to important bits as needed.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I swear, I'm gonna give in & get the game on PSN only for Limited Run Games to announce a physical version.

Gonna have to juggle this & Neo TWEWY at the same time.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
I still can't believe this is actually releasing, let alone releasing the same day as NEO:TWEWY, another long overdue game launch.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
In. To. My. Veins.

It feels like it's been far too long since AA6. I won't be able to get this at launch, but I'm going to get this ASAP!

Kinda off-topic: Any idea if this localisation means future entries will retcon the Americanizing of the games?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I have the game preloaded and it's still weird that this is finally happening officially, and out in a few days. It's been quite the dry spell since AA6 but great to have some new Ace Attorney to play. I never played the fan translation since I was waiting for 2 to be done so I'm glad now that I held off.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
In. To. My. Veins.

It feels like it's been far too long since AA6. I won't be able to get this at launch, but I'm going to get this ASAP!

Kinda off-topic: Any idea if this localisation means future entries will retcon the Americanizing of the games?

No. They mentioned in interviews that GAA was basically a special case since you can't divorce the game from its setting without losing a lot.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I can't believe this is real. I pre ordered a physical copy, hopefully it arrives this week here in the UK.

NEO and GAA on the same day, what a year.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I can't believe I'm finally gonna play this. Hope it lives up to the insane expectations I have.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Despite playing the fan translation, I feel obligated to go through the official version of the first game before moving on to the sequel.

It's gonna be that much more exciting when I finally get to play the second one

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Switch copy should arrive Tuesday. Can't wait!

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
First time I'm actually buying a game from this franchise... wish me luck.
Oh man, there is so many goodness waiting for you beyond this game! I wish I could experience it for the first time again... Anyway, have fun!

No. They mentioned in interviews that GAA was basically a special case since you can't divorce the game from its setting without losing a lot.
I see, that's a bummer though.

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's finally here. I actually can't believe I'll finally get to play these games, and with an official localisation. So very excited for this. Booked the day off from work as I knew I wouldn't be able to focus on anything knowing that it's finally out.

I was in Japan shortly after the first game game out and bought a set of the pinbadges and rubber straps, so I'll be getting those out in celebration.

Got my EU digital copy downloaded and ready to go, and I also ordered the US physical because I need it. Tuesday's going to be amazing.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I think I might play through the first one on auto-mode, just to get myself back up to speed. I'm sure the game will remind me of important details when necessary, but I'd like the opportunity to figure things out before they actually happen.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is it. I'm so goddamn wildly excited for this to drop. Thanks to the fan translation, I was able to play the first TGAA and it shot up to being one of my favorite games in the series- I think it's just that good. Can't wait to jump in and experience the official localization (which signs point to being an incredibly strong effort), and then finally play the sequel. I've been basically pacing around my house for the past month, I'm just that excited!

These games take place so far in the past that it wouldn't be strange at all for Ryunosuke's descendants to end up in the "America" of the previous games, and the localization devblogs have pretty much said that's how they've been justifying it.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Nope, I've played up through 2-2 of the fan translation but I'm going to replay it all because I want to see how the official localization differs. Also, I'm pretty fuzzy on a lot of the details by now and I have no doubt that some seemingly minor details from the first game will come back in a major way for the second.

OP
OP
Moogle

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Thread looking okay on mobile? I didn't check before posting lol 😬

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Would like to know if there are any notable performance differences between PS4 and Switch.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Janet Hsu (localization director) said in her headcanon Phoenix has some Japanese blood, despite being in Japanifornia in the main series English.

So tl;dr really is... don't think about it too hard. lol

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
As a filthy European I ordered the US version. Hope the game gets through customs easily.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Any impressions yet on how it looks on Switch portable mode? Is the anti aliasing good?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready to put my PS5 up to the toughest challenge yet.

Have been totally blind on these games since they came out and avoided the fan translation, so getting a huge dump of new stuff like this is really exciting. Been a loooong time.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Let's gooooooo

Been waiting years to see the wider fan reaction to these games. Hard to believe DGS2 is already four years old - and harder to believe it's finally getting an official localization.

Have fun y'all!

Also the obligatory: DON'T GO TO THE WIKI AT ALL UNTIL YOU FINISH BOTH GAMES

hibouho

May 14, 2021
nyc
super excited! the switch trilogy was my first step into the series and those games were a blast

edit: thank you so much for the op, reading through it now

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Janet Hsu (localization director) said in her headcanon Phoenix has some Japanese blood, despite being in Japanifornia in the main series English.

So tl;dr really is... don't think about it too hard. lol
Yeah, I assumed that's one of the routes they'd go with. Either they'd say: "oh in fact, the series takes place in Japan, and Maya always loved ramen, not hamburgers!" but they went with: "Actually, Phoenix, the American lawyer, has a Japanese ancestor!"

I don't pay much attention to it anymore, but it gets tiring to see games Americanize everything that's obviously meant to be something not Western/American.

Either way, the series has a great localisation little annoyances aside!

OP
OP
Moogle

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
My Switch copy arrived yesterday, I played around an hour in handheld and can confirm: it's fine, the upgraded character models look nice. Saving, loading, etc is quick.

I recommend putting the text box on high transparecy to see as much of the characters as possible. 😄

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
So excited, really happy it's getting a physical release. I would've paid full price easily.

I hope the fan translation and people pirating the game over the years doesn't have a big impact and it sells well.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
It blows that Capcom screwed Europe over as usual with no physical release, but i am very excited to play these games! It's been too long without a Shu Takumi game.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Finallllllllllly. I'm now glad I didn't play those fan translations.

I dunno whether to get this for my PS4 or get it on Steam and play on my touch enabled laptop. hmmm.