• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
If you're including Top Gear I don't think they've ever managed to match the Vietnam special personally
The North Pole special comes close. That said, I haven't watched it for a while, and I have the feeling that there's some global warming denial mixed in there.

Last edited:

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I never got into The Grand Tour either. It just feels too shiny and overproduced compared to earlier Top Gear. Even their late-Top Gear stuff was trending too far into feeling overly scripted.

They were always at their best when it felt like three mates mucking around and pranking one another, versus the three of them saying and acting a certain way because "that's their character".
I agree, though I do like a little balance, some of the high-production focus on a single car features are cool, give me 5 min of that and then a majority of the road tripping/competition/exploring type things.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Episode was great!

Only complaint is the ending - TGT specials outsode of Mongolia always have janky endings and this is the same, it's just kinda weird, like the joke lands but it doesn't feel like a nice bookend for the adventure.

Still, very enjoyable. And James May went through absolute hell lol.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed that too. Guess they went with the PG-13 "you can say it exactly once in a non sexual manner" rule.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Hammond says it's the first time they lost a car.

Wasn't there one special where one of them ended up in the backup car?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, this wasnt the most adventurous excursion but it is one of the funnier ones. May and all that shitty mud LOL.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean he essentially turned it into a sandrail/dune buggy. It worked out well apart from comfort.

I was not at all surprised Hammond had so many problems.
it was not a great choice but he made it in the end.

Hammond literally breaks every car he's in. Even that indestructible Subaru in Africa.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Have been looking forward to this most of the year, but I found it a bit disappointing.
It was super focused on their cars, and as a result, I didn't feel like they did much with Madagascar. They also didn't seem to interact as much, with less slow, natural moments.

Still enjoyed it, but didn't quite live up to my unrealistic expectations.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Was alright but too long. Cars were great even though I don't care for Caterhams after driving one.

It just overstayed its welcome. I almost always never do this, but the last 20 mins I checked to see how long there is still left as I was getting bored.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Was alright but too long. Cars were great even though I don't care for Caterhams after driving one.

It just overstayed its welcome. I almost always never do this, but the last 20 mins I checked to see how long there is still left as I was getting bored.

Me too. Around the first time Jeremy said "and on that bombshell" I was ready for it to be over. And then it kept going.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
That bit with the kill switch was great. And I knew the moment Hammond rolled up with his tracks, he was fucked.

Overall enjoyable, but not as good as the previous Vietnam episode. My favorite is still the Mongolian one where they build their own car.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Seeing May drenched in watery mud never got old ... šŸ˜†

Maybe it's just me however, I prefer it when the trio are all together, and not separated, given that Hammond was left on his own for two separate long stretches of time.

This is why I loved the Mongolia special so much, as they were together for the whole journey!

I thoroughly enjoyed the first hour or so up until when Clarkson said ' ... and on that bombshell', only for it to go on and on. I do not recall myself glancing at the time during the other specials ā€” be it on Top Gear or The Grand Tour ā€” but this felt longer than it needed to be.

I will say that watching this made me want to pick up a holiday brochure for Madagascar ... šŸ‡²šŸ‡¬

Only complaint is the ending - TGT specials outsode of Mongolia always have janky endings and this is the same, it's just kinda weird, like the joke lands but it doesn't feel like a nice bookend for the adventure.

I admittedly chuckled at 'The Holy Grail' discovery, and yet it reminded me that their specials usually end on a bit a damp squib kind of note.

I know exactly what you mean by these specials having a janky ending, and not being able to conclude their adventure(s) on a nice bookend.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
That one ep where they found the "source of the river Nile" at the end and it just being a random puddle was kinda funny because it was them being morons but jank endings like this one where its just a joke tacked on is unsatisfying.

What they should have done is instead of it being a search for a real lost treasure it should have been a search for some sort of motoring themed treasure planted by the crew in the spirit of pirates like La Buse.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
It was a bit slow and needed some more variety. The great specials have lots of little segments that keep things moving. Botswana is my favorite, and there you had laughing at the Lancia, initial drive, modifications, salt/mud flats, rally stage, race for fuel, Okavango and Oliver sinking, and the final stretch. The Nile and Vietnam specials were similar with lots of different scenes.
This one was Reunion Island, modifications, bad roads, bad roads, and then breakdowns on the bad roads.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
I think the formula for their specials, especially since switching over to The Grand Tour, really needs a revamp.

I mean, there's always been a bit of absurdity in most of their specials but it's getting worse.

In the Vietnam Special you could buy that Jeremy possibly knew nothing about bikes. That special was generally realistic and even the boat section at the end didn't really fall into the cartoonish category.

Zimbabwe was another one where I felt like it was pretty realistic. The cars weren't crazy and the mods to the cars made some sort of sense.

I will concede that the Florida TG special was ridiculous in spots. From the cow on the roof of the Camaro to the slogans on the vehicles and supposedly being chased in Alabama by rednecks.

But it seems like the idea of trying to make the special somewhat serious has gone out the window.

Did Hammond really need that truck in the Columbia special? And the way it was introduced didn't hit the mark for me. Yeah, I get that they were trying to not say 'cocaine' all the while hinting towards it every second they could.

Other than James basically drowning himself in his car, I didn't like pretty much all of the Mozambique episode.

Maybe it's just me and I wrote 200+ words for no good reason.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Watched half of it so far, really enjoying it. It's entertaining and the guys are funny. Apparently I'm easy to please.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Finally watched it. Def the worst special and pretty bad even compared to a normal TG/GT show. The forced uncharted-sequel storyline and was lame and dialogue was terrible.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Mongolia was good and one of their best for GT but the gold standard is still Vietnam and Bolivia.
Nothing beats the Botswana special. In fact the whole season 10 was peak Top Gear with Botswana, London race, Silverstone 24 hrs race and finding the best driving road where May brings a racing car.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017