• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is the first episode where I thought the visual FX were horrendously distracting. Especially on the handcart in the desert which was blurry and no one's hair was moving with the wind. But also in the Eleanor and Tahani bit at the end. Usually the visual effects are very well done but these weren't. Ah well.

Still a decent episode. I wonder if Bad Janet is going to be able to escape. Perhaps team up with Derek or something. I fully expect to be underwhelmed by the ending only to revisit it via binging and be OK with it.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I introduced a friend of mine to this show and we've been binging S1. We got up to the episode where Michael is being "forced" to retire, and is talking about the human things he wanted to do, like tell someone "take it sleazy" ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( This show is so good on rewatches lol.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
How Derek had a champagne glass filled with scrabble tiles, downs the whole thing, and exhales, got almost me literally ROTFL, and moments later it's topped off again. XD

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I introduced a friend of mine to this show and we've been binging S1. We got up to the episode where Michael is being "forced" to retire, and is talking about the human things he wanted to do, like tell someone "take it sleazy" ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( This show is so good on rewatches lol.
Yeah, I think the show is best when you can watch it that way instead of waiting week to week.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
End of the storyline will be that this is still the judge's test
Them winning will make a good place and a medium place only
Everyone is fake and created by the judge right now except the 4, including Micheal

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
End of the storyline will be that this is still the judge's test
Them winning will make a good place and a medium place only
Everyone is fake and created by the judge right now except the 4, including Micheal
So the Judge's test from S2 never ended? I'm not saying that's impossible, but it would be poor writing.

We saw Michael and Janet on their own multiple times during S3, even going as far as disobeying the Judge and angering her. If everyone except the four humans were fake then those scenes would just be lies.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
New episode tonight:
A Chip Driver Mystery
One of the new residents creates a division in the ranks.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
So the Judge's test from S2 never ended? I'm not saying that's impossible, but it would be poor writing.

We saw Michael and Janet on their own multiple times during S3, even going as far as disobeying the Judge and angering her. If everyone except the four humans were fake then those scenes would just be lies.
no the sim started at end of season 3 in my theory

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really trying to figure out where they're taking this Brent story and I'm not seeing it at all. He's not very fun to watch either.

Jul 5, 2019
That was a... weird episode. Didn't have many laughs, made Brent almost completely irredeemable in my book, and had a really abrupt ending. I've actually been enjoying this season so far but I'm really unsure where the writers are going with this experiment storyline, it feels like so much water is being tread. With Brent in particular it feels like they wrote themselves into a corner of him being way too awful and unlikeable. I hope the next episode brings the show back on track or else I'll be even more worried.

Nov 1, 2017
I thought this episode was great. Ending was abrupt but I like the idea that something as stupid as Brent writing a book could derail the entire experiment.

Anyways, according to the episode description released by NBC, next week
takes place on the last day of the experiment

Jul 5, 2019
I thought this episode was great. Ending was abrupt but I like the idea that something as stupid as Brent writing a book could derail the entire experiment.

Anyways, according to the episode description released by NBC, next week
takes place on the last day of the experiment
That's a huge relief, if the experiment is ending I have a lot more hope for the show's direction. I guess the experiment is just this season's version of the Earth arc; as in, it feels like it drags a lot while watching it live but it will probably be more enjoyable to watch in retrospect with the whole season being done. Or at least I hope so.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this episode wasn't particularly funny but it was obviously plot-important. There's no way Michael managing to sort-of befriend Bad Janet and giving her the manifesto won't turn out to be important down the line.

Plus, we got to see Chidi punch Brent which was worth it.
no the sim started at end of season 3 in my theory
Prior to this episode I would have agreed that your theory was plausible, but since we just had a Michael scene without any humans I'd say it's busted. Michael can't be a simulation. Still entirely possible that the original humans are being tested, too, though.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
That was a... weird episode. Didn't have many laughs, made Brent almost completely irredeemable in my book, and had a really abrupt ending. I've actually been enjoying this season so far but I'm really unsure where the writers are going with this experiment storyline, it feels like so much water is being tread. With Brent in particular it feels like they wrote themselves into a corner of him being way too awful and unlikeable. I hope the next episode brings the show back on track or else I'll be even more worried.
Yeah, I hope things straighten out next episode.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This was the weakest ep of the show imo. The framing device made it feel more like i was watching a live wikipedia plot summary than an episode, and the weird shaky foundation of it didnt help. Maybe i missed another off the cuff line but i didnt realize Michael and Bad Janet had been debating morality with each other during the sudden 6 month timeskip until he mentioned it right at the end. Just felt really sloppy.

Other than the Bad Janet twist I've been pretty lukewarm on this season which is a weird feeling to have when its supposed to be the final one.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't felt this season at all and tonight's was the low point (though I thought season 3 was middling as well). Tahani and Jason show up to tell the same joke every week and there is just an overall feeling of stalling when it should be the opposite. Will see it through to the end, and can still hope for some big swerve, but this season has been a waste so far.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who feels like this episode was a high point for the season? The Brent situation has been bubbling for a while and it's about time it boiled over. And now that those tensions are out in the open, I want to see if they can use that to put Brent on the right track.

Michael's conclusion is, I think, the point of the show. Humans aren't good or bad. They can only try their best to be a little better than they were yesterday. It's a tad shallow, but ultimately I think it's the best conclusion we can come to in determining the moral "value" of a human.

Last edited:

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Michael's conclusion is, I think, the point of the show. Humans aren't good or bad. They can only try their best to be a little better than they were yesterday. It's a tad shallow, but ultimately I think it's the best conclusion we can come to in determining the moral "value" of a human.
yeah, i can get behind that, though i also wouldn't mind seeing Brent tossed into an active volcano

Oct 25, 2017
I forking loved this episode.

I've met some Brents in my life. I've wanted to punch most of them. Watching Chidi do that felt really good.

And forking stop coddling the toxically masculine. Come on! Love it.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I heard Simone say "shit" at one point, but I thought it might have just been her accent making "shirt" sound like it.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily say I'm worried, but I'm kinda shocked that half of the final season has felt so much like treading water. Maybe it'll all come together. I don't know. Even though I really like the new cast (Brent is a fantastic count) this just hasn't been as good as the previous seasons.

Fingers crossed that the back half of the season gets really out there.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily say I'm worried, but I'm kinda shocked that half of the final season has felt so much like treading water. Maybe it'll all come together. I don't know. Even though I really like the new cast (Brent is a fantastic count) this just hasn't been as good as the previous seasons.

Fingers crossed that the back half of the season gets really out there.
for what it's worth, i've seen various folks express some version of this sentiment in the OTs since season 2. the second halves have stepped on the gas so i'd imagine that'll be the case this time too.