• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing good place is dull and they choose to go back to he bad place to help. Or the system now sends everybody to the good place and they have to deliberately send some to the actual bad place. The current system does seem to retest everyone until they pass which seems to mean everyone will eventually be in the good place ?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The pacing on that episode was weird. Felt like everything got set up too quickly and easily but maybe the last three episodes have enough to justify speeding this part up.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The two episodes since the cliffhanger have been really disappointing. Everything wrapping up far too easily and the Bad Place characters not acting themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that the crew is going to get bored in The Good Place. Michael pretty much already explained the why with "what am I without a rock" (paraphrased) which is just the Sisyphus myth, which was originally conceived of as a semi-eternal means of torture where the 'work' never got done or to a next stage of sorts.
Now imagine you actually have eternity and no rock, and no change of any kind. The Good Place isn't "good" for a creature that wants to able to change.

Though I can't imagine the afterlife surviving at all, because the only 'place' where such change is both possible and meaningful is life on Earth. They do keep going back to their lives there all the time anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised if they wind up going for semi-reincarnation as a solution in the end.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm guessing good place is dull and they choose to go back to he bad place to help. Or the system now sends everybody to the good place and they have to deliberately send some to the actual bad place. The current system does seem to retest everyone until they pass which seems to mean everyone will eventually be in the good place ?
Yeah, my assumption is there will eventually no longer be a "bad place." Anyone being sent to the bad place will go to Michael's experiment, and current bad place residents will be moved over there as well.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, my assumption is there will eventually no longer be a "bad place." Anyone being sent to the bad place will go to Michael's experiment, and current bad place residents will be moved over there as well.

So they'll let someone like Hitler into The Good Place?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The two episodes since the cliffhanger have been really disappointing. Everything wrapping up far too easily and the Bad Place characters not acting themselves.

This is my biggest issue with the show right now too, the Bad Place people just feel way off. I kinda get why Shawn decided to go along because he felt "empty" without an antagonist but it didn't quite feel like was enough time was spent on that, and the whole "appeal to Vickys sense of being an actor" is a bit cringey.

I hope its explained in the finale as a trick or whatever, if it stays straight to the end i'll be a little disappointed in the final season. It feels like they aren't really leaning enough into the philosophy ideas to be interesting nor really doing anything at all with Eleanor. I thought the whole "don't look at my life Chidi, you won't like me anymore" was going somewhere and it kinda went absolutely nowhere. Eleanor doing something REALLY irredeemable like murder would be crazy for a comedy but also deeply interesting and extremely challenging to writers and viewers.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is this the last night? Or is that a week from now?

Was thinking about Simone, Brent, and John and whether we'll see much from them again.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So they'll let someone like Hitler into The Good Place?
They will give him a chance.

Honestly I see this whole new version of the afterlife to be very similar to a rehabilitation instead of punishment prison set up.

Originally the good place and the bad place we're just set up to be reward for people and punishment for others. The bad place honestly is a lot like the prison systems in the United States, all punishment no chance to prove yourself or re-enter Society in any sort of meaningful way.

Recidivism in the United States is largely fed in two by the prison system. People who end up there only learn how to become criminals. Very little focus is put into Rehabilitation.

The New afterlife setup is more like some place like Sweden, the prison aka the Bad Place is there to teach you to be a better person. If you prove you're a better person you get to move on to the Good Place.

So yes, theoretically, even Adolf Hitler would be able to go to the good place eventually.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the whole final season has felt off - like the writers had a plot of how they wanted to finish the show and they're forcing the characters into that plot. Whereas in the previous seasons, it felt like the plot & characters were working together and supported each other. Separating Chidi out from the main cast for many of the episodes really hurt the cast dynamic. It feels like many of the characters are becoming parodies of themselves - after one episode, I turned to my wife and said something like "Tahani & Jason's dialogue felt like it was written by a random fan of the show." Conversely, for much of the season, Eleanore feels like she's acting against type and it's not working.

Finding that their big solution was just a variant of reincarnation was disappointing. For a season that has had 2 of the best twists in TV ever (end of season 1 & the 2nd episode of season 2), this season has been surprisingly predictable. I'm expecting something big in the next few episodes, but I'm not sure if they'll pull it off. I'd love for the final episodes to change my mind because so far I feel like this is a big drop in consistency & quality from the first 3 seasons.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I mean most shows are written as they go. But once you get to the end you do really have to fit the characters to the end game.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That episode made me feel bad... In a good way

I kind of wish the finale led up to that moment but im curious to see where they go from here

But damn. Think I need to lie down...

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
These last few episodes have been... soft. For a show that always felt a few steps ahead of me and razor sharp, this last batch of episodes has been so toothless it's kind of sad. I'm in until the end, but it just feels like they started the victory lap a little too early.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
EPBEL0nWAAAHbIt

These writers get me.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Love this. Totally makes sense that eternity would be mind numbingly boring. Religion never thinks about that.

Last edited:

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
So where the fuck do we go from here, because that was essentially the perfect sendoff for the show.

I can't imagine them walking through the door separately. It just doesn't feel right.

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing all the main characters admit that they are bored of each other and paradise and would rather an eternity in peaceful isolation would be a really unique/weird ending.

I fully expect a lame twist though, attempting to bring it full circle.

I liked tonight's episode, looking forward to the finale.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wait, how many episodes does season 4 have? I bought the season on Amazon Germany and watched all available 11 - and I thought I was at the end of the show. Are there going to be more?

Edit: There's 13?!?! How did I even think it ended on the balloon :P

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the idea of watching our main characters walk through the door one by one, but the more I think about it, the more that seems like the route they'll be going. If so, I think I'm going to be completely fine considering this episode to be the last one.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's something most of them would ever consider in like centuries or millennia

The idea was knowing there's an ending allows them to just enjoy whatever they can

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
The group has become really efficient at solving some of the universe's biggest problems, with Eleanor coming through big this episode.

Love the fact she is a big Stone Cold fan and they had the bedpan he beat up Vince with in the hospital. One of the writers must be a big wrestling fan.

Funny to see Chidi was that geeked to see the philosopher played by Lisa Kudrow, stardust milkshakes do sound delicious.

Agreed the finale next week will probably end on a bittersweet note.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Man that good place room has very little people in it

I know it was bad but i don't think it's even a hundred people