• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not my fav episode, but still really solid episode.

I'm glad Onion is the protagonist. Adding a Black character not based in history had me worried the character would just be there in a stereotypical role. There's been a lot of diversity in the Black experience in almost every episode.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Have seen the first three episodes now. Assuming they don't fuck this up this is shaping up to be a top tier all time mini series.

Hope they land it...

Ethan Hawke is wildly underrated/underappreciated. I am kicking myself for not starting to watch this yet.

Edit: check out In the Valley of Violence too.
Agreed and I'm guilty as charged.

Honestly had considered a lot of his work I had seen(earlier work mostly) rather subpar and pretty similar...He's absolutely killing it in this and want to see what else when has done recently now

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting to check this out. Might wait till all the episodes drop to minimize the subscription length.

Showtime is pretty wack, but every so often they put out a real banger.
Honestly had considered a lot of his work I had seen(earlier work mostly) rather subpar
Mods please ban

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Ethan Hawke is wildly underrated/underappreciated. I am kicking myself for not starting to watch this yet.

Edit: check out In the Valley of Violence too.

Agreed on Hawke. The level of camp he is putting in this performance is quite enjoyable. Can't say I would recommend In the Valley of Violence. I found that movie incredibly mediocre, even if Hawke was perfectly fine in his own right.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic episode.

Holy SHIT, Orlando fucking Jones was incredible. Small role, amazing performance.

Also, FUCK COOK, jesus christ. Throw him in the potomac already.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Man this show is so good. Come on.

If your script has a bunch of people sitting around and spontaneously singing together, I am eating that up.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
That was very a good series. I'm pleased to have been the sole contributor to its viewership.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Wow-I just started watching Ken Burns The Civil War and they talked about this guy. He seemed completely fascinating and I wondered why there had never been a movie or show about him.

Dude even looked like a badass.

John_Brown_daguerreotype_c1856.png

Wait until you see him with the sick beard!

John Brown is one of my favorite people in history to teach about with my students.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe how little discussion this is getting. Great series, great cast.

For those watching: Was a bit worried people would not take well to the portrayal of Fredrick Douglass lol.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
I jumped on late and binged it over the last few days. Kept me so hype, I watched Free State of Jones again for more White "race-traitor" content. Love that one too, though it's not 100 percent comparable with the latter being more historically-faithful and has less humor. (Btw also has Mahershala Ali who's great as usual).

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Watched the last episode last night. A really fantastic series. I wish it had more buzz given how apt it's subject matter is.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Binged the last 4 episodes at once. Fantastic show. Maybe my favorite of the year. (though I'm a very forgetful person)

Ethan Hawke is absolutely electric but the supporting cast made excellent accounts of themselves as well.

That last bit of dialogue about accepting Onion in "whatever clothes you wear" was an incredibly sweet gesture.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished this last week but yeah it's bound to win some awards. Shame it doesnt seem to get more attention. If it was HBO it would be getting more.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished last night. Nothing special to add other than it was incredible. Best miniseries I've seen in some time.

Ethan Hawke was incredible and I hope this show wines every award it can.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible all around the only thing that bothered me after everything was over is that Frederick fucking Douglass is criticized, almost painted as a sellout for not backing the raid. Meanwhile, JED fucking Confederate ass Stuart is softened.

Excuse me, my nigga? Douglass was right not to join Brown's insane plot.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Honestly teared up in the
final prison scene between John Brown and Little Onion. Ethan Hawkes performance through the whole series was just phenomenal, he really carried the spirit of John Brown. What a fascinating character.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
First episode down. What a damn fine episode of television.

Ethan Hawke is an unsung legend of the industry. Guy always gives 110%, and doesn't get the credit he deserves. He is MAGNETIC in this role.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Finally got around to finishing this today. That last episode really was something, the scene in the engine house where they're giving Henry his clothes was incredibly moving. "Little peanuts".

I also loved Henry's goodbye to Bob, who I really loved as a character. The whole run from Canada to Harper's Ferry was so riveting, and incredibly sad and beautiful. The final scene between Henry and Brown was especially lovely.

Even if it's just an interpretation of the real events, for someone with so many cultural and historical reasons not to fight to take up arms and give his life is really fucking incredible. Glad I know about Brown after this, and Ethan Hawke did a fantastic job playing him. Sweet touch having his actual daughter play Annie too.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I really hope Hawke comes back soon, because going by the second episode so far, the rest of the series isn't up to his performance.

Last edited:

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I really hope Hawke comes back soom, because going by the second episode so far, the rest of the series isn't up to his performance.
Other notable characters do pop up. I thought Daveed Diggs was brilliant in this show. But yeah, Etham Hawkes was the high point. IMO, the final episode has some of the best acting of his career. He was incredible.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Other notable characters do pop up. I thought Daveed Diggs was brilliant in this show. But yeah, Etham Hawkes was the high point. IMO, the final episode has some of the best acting of his career. He was incredible.
Yeah the rest of the cast is solid, but there's definitely something missing without his presence. Like, this is now a series with "Showtime" level production values.

Also, slightly unrelated, but God damn Showtime's stream quality is so bad. It makes HBO Max look like an 8K stream

Edit: Yeah, second half of EP2 and all of 3 is back to top-notch form.

Last edited:

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
More people should watch this show

and vote for it on Ratsky Watsky's TV Show of the Year thread

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished this show. Being in the UK, I have to say that I did not know about John Brown. How well known is he as a figure in the US? Would be interested to pick up a non fiction book about him.

I found the finale incredibly moving, although it was obviously fiction. I don't know if those exchanges in the end make John Brown more saintly than he really was. There is a lot of quotable lines. Him telling Onion to "Whatever you choose to be, live it to the full." And how there is an eternity before and after. He becomes a bit less complicated than at the beginning and it was impossible not to completely root for him.