• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Showtime's newest miniseries, 'The Good Lord Bird,' will premiere on Sunday, October 4 at 9/8c. The series will consist of 7 episodes.

Trailer

Based upon the National Book Award-winning novel by James McBride, 'The Good Lord Bird' is told from the point of view of Onion, a fictional enslaved boy who becomes a member of Brown's motley family of abolitionist soldiers and eventually finds himself participating in the famous 1859 raid at Harpers Ferry. 'The Good Lord Bird' uniquely and unpredictably spotlights the complicated racial, religious and gender roles that make up the American identity.

Cast

Joshua Johnson-Lionel as Onion
Ethan Hawke as John Brown
Daveed Diggs as Frederick Douglass
David Morse as Dutch Henry Sherman
Ellar Coltrane as Salmon Brown
Orlando Jones as The Rail Man
Rafael Casal as Cook
Steve Zahn as Chase
Wyatt Russel as Jeb Stuart

Reviews

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Much of the joy of The Good Lord Bird comes from watching everybody's wheels spinning, on-screen and behind-the-scenes, trying to figure out how to approach John Brown's place in this tragicomic history. Brown is the stuff of tall tales, Paul Bunyan wielding Bible quotes instead of an axe. Seven hours of The Good Lord Bird left me both clear-eyed about John Brown as a historical figure and curious to learn more. Above all, it left me with zero doubts about Hawke's ever-evolving talent.

Rolling Stone said:
Shifting the perspective allows Hawke to go mountainous with his performance. He is a sweaty, manic, delusional wonder to behold, giving the story a jolt whenever he appears. He is also, in something of a rarity in his career, incredibly funny.

Mashable said:
Over the course of 7 episodes that thrive on Ethan Hawke's speeches, The Good Lord Bird tries to answer the question of whether John Brown and his rebel army made a difference. Did they create the spark that lit up the fires of the Civil War? The show leaves you to interpret the journey. And what a refreshingly layered perspective to reflect on history with.

The Playlist said:
"The Good Lord Bird" shouldn't work, but somehow the evocatively shot series leaps from the pages of history. And though it might lose its way, in the same meandering fashion as one of Brown's prayers, writers never forget that the goal is seeing Black people fighting for their freedom. And if you never knew anything of Brown, and the event which most believe began the Civil War, then "The Good Lord Bird" is the right place to start.

82aaN2i.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll have to check it out. From what I recall from history, John Brown was a crazy motherfucker (in a good way) who had far too liberal views on race for the time.

Oct 30, 2017
Damn that trailer was great. Hawke has been flying under the radar for a while. I certainly recommend watching First Reformed.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm interested regardless- but don't you dare put slander on what was achieved in First Reformed.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad Malcolm X's favorite white American has his own critically acclaimed TV series. I like Ethan Hawke too so I'll check it out.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Never heard of this before but it looks great.

I'll find a way to watch it for sure.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Looks excellent.

Trailer gives me some True History of the Kelly Gang(but more comedic) vibes and I am here for that.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
man Hawke looks fuckin outta control. Best actor out there rn.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Hyped. Ethan Hawke one of the best actors around. And the reviews make this sound more interesting than a typical historical property would be.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A series about John Brown? I can definitely fuck with this. Dude was a visionary who had a good solution for slave owners, I wish it could have been applied to all slave owners in the Americas...

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wow-I just started watching Ken Burns The Civil War and they talked about this guy. He seemed completely fascinating and I wondered why there had never been a movie or show about him.

Dude even looked like a badass.

John_Brown_daguerreotype_c1856.png

Oct 25, 2017
Is it wrong for me to hope that this is just a one-off TV series, I don't want anything screwing up filming for Before Midday...

No, there's no such movie being planned as far as I know, but I can dream...

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
how has it taken this long for John Brown to get a goddam revisitation? man was fucking wild, a real monster and true american hero

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
May have to check it out, when I went to the Museum of African American history there was a John Brown section and man this dude sounded crazy but in an awesome way where I'd want him on my side lol

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Wow-I just started watching Ken Burns The Civil War and they talked about this guy. He seemed completely fascinating and I wondered why there had never been a movie or show about him.

He looks like Abe Lincoln's batshit crazy brother.

The show looks good! Daveed Diggs as Frederick Douglass?! Lmao thats perfect

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been looking forward to this, only discovered Brown a few months ago (Canadian and I wasn't super familiar with the civil war) but his story was super interesting.

MisterNugNug

Oct 27, 2017
Is it wrong for me to hope that this is just a one-off TV series, I don't want anything screwing up filming for Before Midday...

No, there's no such movie being planned as far as I know, but I can dream...

Wouldn't it be better to do another trilogy? And wouldn't it be better to do After Sunrise, After Sunset, After Midnight?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I know First Reformed was mention, but he was also great in Born to be Blue as Chet Baker. Anyone see Tesla? Looked like a good take.

Hawks hits out of the park a lot. He's a thoughtful actor and really cares about the headspace of his characters. Brings such depth to his roles.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome I wonder how they're going to portray him and Frederick Douglass' relationship

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
When I was growing up, they always portrayed John Brown as a crazy zealot who killed a bunch of people in Kansas before heading off half-cocked to Harper's Ferry. And maybe he was. But out of all the stuff leading up to the Civil War, he's one of the really fascinating people, because he knew that the only way to bring about any real change was through direct action.

He was like the voice crying out in the desert before the more famous man came and led the actual crusade against the slavers. They even turned his song into the Battle Hymn of the Republic:

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored
He has loosed the fateful lightening of His terrible swift sword
His truth is marching on

They weren't being subtle back then.

In school they made us do one of those things where they make you memorize some random speech or shit, and I had to memorize a verse from John Brown's Body for a group singing thing. I still remember it:

He captured Harpers Ferry with his nineteen men so few
And frightened Old Virginia til she trembled through and through
They hung him as a traitor, they themselves the traitor crew
His soul is marching on

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Consider me intrigued. John Brown has always been one of my heroes that don't appear on no damn stamps.

"…Had I so interfered in behalf of the rich, the powerful, the intelligent, the so-called great, or in behalf of any of their friends… it would have been all right; and every man in this court would have deemed it an act worthy of reward rather than punishment."
- Brown on his death sentencing

Dude was a comrade.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

He committed extreme violence that American conservative social forces have a benefit in demonizing, but also he fought, unequivocally, for a cause that was radical for his time in a way that is radical to us even now, and there are reasons why that is so. He killed white supremacists in their homes, and organized a revolt that would involve arming every slave in the south. This was, literally, the worst fear of the entire South. However, the first casualty of Harper's Ferry was a free black man who was a baggage handler on a train he seized. White Supremacists as part of rehabilitating the South's legacy following slavery, built many monuments, which is the reason for the all the forts and statues and boats we have named after them. On such statue was built in Harper's Ferry to that freeman (Hayward Shepard). Tactics like this muddy the message of revolutionary forces which threaten entrenched powers by demonizing certain actions with examples void of context while at the same time avoiding the underlying issues which produce revolutionary actions like Browns Raid. IMO, Brown is a deservedly controversial figure, but that he is "so controversial", I think, is mostly a testament to how little we as a society, or at least the powers that be which fear a John Brown, have REALLY changed in some ways since then.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is good. I'm a little worried about the humor and comedy aspect but I'll wait to see how it's handled. John Brown is one of the most morally righteous people to have ever lived in this country and he deserves to be celebrated. An honest to god hero.

I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is good. I'm a little worried about the humor and comedy aspect but I'll wait to see how it's handled. John Brown is one of the most morally righteous people to have ever lived in this country and he deserves to be celebrated. An honest to god hero.

I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

The humor aspect comes from the book which is a fictionalized and heightened version of events from what I've read. I just reserved it from the library.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He committed extreme violence that American conservative social forces have a benefit in demonizing, but also he fought, unequivocally, for a cause that was radical for his time in a way that is radical to us even now, and there are reasons why that is so. He killed white supremacists in their homes, and organized a revolt that would involve arming every slave in the south. This was, literally, the worst fear of the entire South. However, the first casualty of Harper's Ferry was a free black man who was a baggage handler on a train he seized. White Supremacists as part of rehabilitating the South's legacy following slavery, built many monuments, which is the reason for the all the forts and statues and boats we have named after them. On such statue was built in Harper's Ferry to that freeman (Hayward Shepard). Tactics like this muddy the message of revolutionary forces which threaten entrenched powers by demonizing certain actions with examples void of context while at the same time avoiding the underlying issues which produce revolutionary actions like Browns Raid. IMO, Brown is a deservedly controversial figure, but that he is "so controversial", I think, is mostly a testament to how little we as a society, or at least the powers that be which fear a John Brown, have REALLY changed in some ways since then.
Should also be noted that John Brown abused his children and married a 16 year old when he was more than double her age. His views as an abolitionist and commitment to the cause are commendable but there is plenty to criticize about the man even from a leftist perspective. He's better than the majority of early American heroes for sure though, certainly better than the founding fathers.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
The Dollop podcast did a three-part series on John Brown. They called him "Just one of the greatest humans ever. That's all." The man lived quite a life and yea he definitely had some messed up views (i.e. disciplining his children with lashings and then having his eldest son lash him out of a religious fervor). Growing up in the south the events at Harper's Ferry gets listed as a mere bullet point on the list of events that pushed forward the Civil War in our history books, or they don't even talk about him and what he did.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
Looks great, hope it will show up on some service that's available here in sweden.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The Dollop podcast did a three-part series on John Brown. They called him "Just one of the greatest humans ever. That's all." The man lived quite a life and yea he definitely had some messed up views (i.e. disciplining his children with lashings and then having his eldest son lash him out of a religious fervor). Growing up in the south the events at Harper's Ferry gets listed as a mere bullet point on the list of events that pushed forward the Civil War in our history books, or they don't even talk about him and what he did.

Yeah I grew up in SC and GA and I had never heard of him until I watched the Ken Burns documentary.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Interested in seeing this. I grew up near Harpers Ferry, and one of my elementary school field trips was to the spot where John Brown was hanged. Even though that spot is just someone's backyard now, it was still kinda traumatizing, ngl.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Should also be noted that John Brown abused his children and married a 16 year old when he was more than double her age. His views as an abolitionist and commitment to the cause are commendable but there is plenty to criticize about the man even from a leftist perspective. He's better than the majority of early American heroes for sure though, certainly better than the founding fathers.
Absolutely, thanks for shoring that up.