• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
mQSsbW6C_400x400.jpg

Not sure if people around here have been following this, but it was a full single player remake of Goldeneye 64 on Unreal Engine 4. It's been in development for years but MGM has send them a C&D, and they shut it down.

They're luckily still going to work on the game, trying to avoid Bond or Goldeneye stuff:

So yeah, not 100% dead (I tricked you) but no sweet Natalya in UE4.

Some videos of what it was:

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Suck that they god C&D'd but it was always a possibility. The work they've been doinjg has been fantastic looking. I'm glad we're gonna see it in some form eventually.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Suck that they god C&D'd but it was always a possibility. The work they've been doinjg has been fantastic looking. I'm glad we're gonna see it in some form eventually.

It is an inevitability if you're remaking anything made by a major publisher not named Valve.

Anyone with talent enough to do this is better off making a spiritual successor that can be legally distributed.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only way you can make something like this and actually release it is by keeping it under wraps and doing a surprise release. when will people understand this?

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Surely this means that the Goldeneye XBLA remake is getting revived, right? :(

This is a shame, was looking forward to it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
mQSsbW6C_400x400.jpg

Not sure if people around here have been following this, but it was a full single player remake of Goldeneye 64 on Unreal Engine 4. It's been in development for years but MGM has send them a C&D, and they shut it down.

They're luckily still going to work on the game, trying to avoid Bond or Goldeneye stuff:

So yeah, not 100% dead (I tricked you) but no sweet Natalya in UE4.

Some videos of what it was:

Oh god, just watched that last video and it literally says 'nobody will shut this down, the only people who could shut it down are the movie studio and they don't go after things like this.'

Oops.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Why are people always shocked when this happens? It seems that the devs genuinely didn't this would happen.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I always expected this and probably they predicted that too. Maybe it was always their plan to gain followers and make it their own game then.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
while it is cool that they are making it into there own thing, it's once again a reminder to not talk about your fan game until it's done

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, they make it without using the Bond and GoldenEye names, then once it's released they (or anyone in the community) can distribute a mod to turn it into a GoldenEye game.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of that RE2 remake project that turned into its original thing. Seems like a good way for new teams to garner some attention. "Former GoldenEye remake" is some good free marketing.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Hm... what was that suggestion again?

More seriously, I think this is sorta good for them. People know them as guys who were remaking a terrific game, and now they're the guys whose remake of a terrific game unfortunately had to have its face filed off, but now hey, you can monetize it once you get the new characters in place.

OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curious.
Sony own MGM don't they?
Seems like they're independent again:

www.wikiwand.com

Wikiwand - MGM Holdings

MGM Holdings, Inc. was an American holding company incorporated in Delaware and headquartered in Beverly Hills, California that launched on February 11, 2005 by a creditor-oriented consortium and the former parent company of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer . Technology company Amazon acquired the company on...

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Hm... what was that suggestion again?

More seriously, I think this is sorta good for them. People know them as guys who were remaking a terrific game, and now they're the guys whose remake of a terrific game unfortunately had to have its face filed off, but now hey, you can monetize it once you get the new characters in place.

Honestly while this video comes from a good place this is still not a good idea as you're potentially opening yourself to lawsuit by corporations that will fuck you over.

The unfortunate truth is that fan projects like this are better off being kept by their own creators and not shared unless they're approved by the original creators/rights holders (like the fan-made sonic games)

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It worked out well for them in the end, but it also begs the question: why do people keep walking into these traps where they are walking over the owned IP of another company? What is the best you can hope for? Release it before C&D and let the internet do the rest? Why the eternal surprise of a company coming in to say "uh, actually this belongs to us, please stop"?

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
It worked out well for them in the end, but it also begs the question: why do people keep walking into these traps where they are walking over the owned IP of another company? What is the best you can hope for? Release it before C&D and let the internet do the rest? Why the eternal surprise of a company coming in to say "uh, actually this belongs to us, please stop"?

GoldenEye: Source was released ten years ago and never got a C&D, so they probably thought they were safe.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Years ago this sounded like a good idea but I'm not sure a Goldeneye remake gets anyone's martini shaken these days. Hopefully the devs take everything they've learned so far and are able to make something really unique and interesting.