• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This show popped up on Amazon in some countries this month. It's a British comedy where the each episode is basically a live play where everything goes wrong but the actors continue as best they can. It's hilarious and if you like slapstick, you will love this.

In this clip, they're performing a play called 90 degrees (a play set in America's South and refers to the heat), but the set builders built the set at 90 degrees so they carry on with the cameras adjusted.

Or this split screen phone conversation

In this clip, the set builders confused inches for centimetres ( a bit like the stonehenge set in Spinal Tap) an so the actors are trying to do the play in the set they ended up with.

anyone else seen this? It's so layered with the jokes coming so fast with amazing choreography. It sounds like its been renewed for another series. I haven't laughed this hard on a new show since Cunk on Britain (another must see).

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They did a whole production of Peter Pan On the BBC and it was amazing. Highly recommend checking it out.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of old fashioned humor.
Time to dust off those old Tommy Cooper and Louis de Funes tapes.

Sorry, not that funny imo. But thank you for sharing!

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Same people as this one, isn't it?

Unfortunately not available on my countries amazon :(

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a good time so far; as a theater nerd, it's hilarious to see what can go wrong will go wrong

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I really enjoyed their one-off Panto shows, but the series did get far too samey/repetivive.
I think they'd be better off with 1 episode every 3 months or so, rather than airing 6 in a row (or stick to one a year)...as the joke wears thin.

Having said that, the episodes where the sets were at the wrong angle/too small/had mismatched halves..were extremely clever.

It has been renewed for a second series.

Oct 27, 2017
They did a whole production of Peter Pan On the BBC and it was amazing. Highly recommend checking it out.

Yeah, that's where we found them too and my kids and I were immediately taken with it. I didn't enjoy A Christmas Carol so much but thought Peter Pan and The Goes Wrong Show were both really good. Can't wait for more, hopefully later this year but given everything I should probably assume 2021 at the soonest.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I meant "people" not "concept". Not sure why I wrote that. The concept of The Play That Goes Wrong is] solid and hilarious. The execution was not. They completely missed what makes disaster theater so funny.
Ah, fair enough. It took me a while to warm to it; they lean in to it so hard it just makes the whole thing seem really tacky and kind of undermines the conceit.

But I also think some bits are genuinely funny and started to enjoy myself more once I got past the very, very silly presentation.

I can totally appreciate it isn't for everyone though.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Watched everything that's on Prime except the Christmas episode. The Trial and Ninety Degrees are amazing, but The Lodge and The Pilot (Not the Pilot) really run the same few jokes into the ground.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Watched everything that's on Prime except the Christmas episode. The Trial and Ninety Degrees are amazing, but The Lodge and The Pilot (Not the Pilot) really run the same few jokes into the ground.
I really enjoyed The Lodge, it's the only one I've watched so far, gonna space em out to one a day, but the bit where the house owner starts laughing menacingly as he tries to leave goes on so long that it looped around into being hilarious, i had tears in my eyes when it was done.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed The Lodge, it's the only one I've watched so far, gonna space em out to one a day, but the bit where the house owner starts laughing menacingly as he tries to leave goes on so long that it looped around into being hilarious, i had tears in my eyes when it was done.
That was a great moment. Even the episodes I didn't like have some great gags. There's one in The Pilot I won't spoil, but it was the highlight of the episode.

Speculator

Oct 30, 2017
Austin
O man thanks for introducing this. My wife and I caught their Play during our trip to London in 2017 and absolutely loved it, had no idea they had a show! We just binged the whole season today and have lost our voices. We didn't think we could laugh this hard

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Watched everything but the Christmas episode, but I gotta echo people in here and say Trial and 90 Degrees are spectacular. 90 Degrees especially had me dying of laughter.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Discovered this during lockdown - and absolutely loved it. The Lodge and Trial episodes & Peter Pan special were the standouts for me.

They also shared some behind the scenes stories from all 6 episodes:

www.youtube.com

Harper's Locket Goes Wrong Along #WithMe

Mischief makers including Dave Hearn, Harry Kershaw, Chris Leask, Henry Lewis, Charlie Russell and Jonathan Sayer sit down to watch an episode of The Goes Wr...

www.youtube.com

90 Degrees Goes Wrong Along #WithMe

Mischief makers, Dave Hearn, Charlie Russell and Jonathan Sayer sit down to watch an episode of The Goes Wrong Show.In this Goes Wrong Along, the group watch...

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Watched this over the weekend. Pretty solid throughout, but a few of the gags did get tired--how many times can a door not open or a prop be unexpectedly glued? 90 Degrees was hilarious from start to finish though. The show's at it's best when it plays off the idea of one major issue resulting in the rest of the play going off the rails, like an error in the set construction.

I saw they got picked up for a second season. I would gladly watch more.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I've seen a few of their actual theatre shows in London and they're great. The Bank Robbery one in particular.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
VERY GOOD recommendation. I watched the six episodes of this on Amazon and absolutely loved it. The exact kind of thing I needed while going through these last few difficult weeks.

I almost died laughing at some of the hijinks. Favorite episodes were the Lodge and Trial ones.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Ah forgot about the Christmas episode - thanks for reminding!

Absolutely loved the series.

I believe that the BBC commissioned a second series, so hopefully that's not too far off either.

Dec 30, 2020
Anyone watching the new series? Still makes me laugh like an idiot.
!!!! The New Series is available now?! *runs dramatically through a set wall* GET IN! GET IN!!!

If you ever get a chance to see them live on stage I highly recommend it, it's amazing. Their newest show is Magic Goes Wrong, and it was created with the supervision of Penn & Teller, so great comedy performance with some genuinely impressive stage magic as well.

AceStrimmer

Feb 12, 2021
The variety festival episodes were the best! Ranking by numbers.... Why did we spend 3/4 of the budget on this???!

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if anyone saw the Mischief Movie Night In series that they did in the Spring/Summer, but those were AMAZING. It was the Goes Wrong Cast (plus or minus a few,) doing improvised films based on audience suggestions and comments from the host.

I would kill to be able to get VODs of those. I watched a bunch livestreamed, but since I'm in the US, they were in the middle of the day for me, so it was often hard to make time for them. I would have posted about them in here, but TBH I forgot this thread existed until it popped up in my watched threads this morning.

I guess this is no longer on Amazon Prime? That's a bummer.
It requires a Broadway HD Subscription now, unfortunately. I did a free trial and I might just keep it and cancel when the season is over. I think this season is only 5 or 6 episodes anyway.