• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao I see I'm alone in that this seemed more like a breather episode to me as opposed to rushed, compared to previous eps.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I've started to read the WebToon, and there is a LOT of exposition that's been cut, but it's largely for the better. Some cuts however seem absolutely baffling.

I've been reading the WebToon alongside the anime, and thus far, most of the changes seem to be cutting out exposition like you said - which is WAY too much in the Web Toon - and re-arranging some exposition to come later in an attempt to provide a bit of mystique to the universe. I don't think it's a matter of the anime butchering the source material. The source material is heavily flawed IMO, and the anime makes the source material worth consuming due to bringing the fights to life in the best way possible.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading the WebToon alongside the anime, and thus far, most of the changes seem to be cutting out exposition like you said - which is WAY too much in the Web Toon - and re-arranging some exposition to come later in an attempt to provide a bit of mystique to the universe. I don't think it's a matter of the anime butchering the source material. The source material is heavily flawed IMO, and the anime makes the source material worth consuming due to bringing the fights to life in the best way possible.
I'm expecting a lot of the cut content to come up as a "big reveal" like what happened with Tower of God, which mostly worked, but I can understand the frustrations.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Having read the webtoon all the way to the latest chapter after watching the first few anime eps then going back to the anime, I appreciate how it's attempted to condense so much in so few eps. Like there's still a ton of exposition missing, especially for some future setups, but how they've come back to some key plot points in the most recent eps has been alright when compared to the bloat of the webtoon.

Last edited:

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The cut content and changes are really starting to diverge a bit, it seems.
Yeah, I was like... woah they're jumping into that pretty quick, but I'm okay with the changes considering how compressed everything is. I really dug how they did those scenes together and if I recall, the anime's version waaaaaaaaaaay more impressive with the God Sword.

Damn the latest episode is batshit insane. We got to DBZ levels very fast lol
Jurassic-Park-33-Hold-on-to-your-butts1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was like... woah they're jumping into that pretty quick, but I'm okay with the changes considering how compressed everything is. I really dug how they did those scenes together and if I recall, the anime's version waaaaaaaaaaay more impressive with the God Sword.

Jurassic-Park-33-Hold-on-to-your-butts1.jpg
The cut character moments are what I find to be the most important. Mujin Park is missing a ton of characterization

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Haven't read the webtoon. I like to read the manga after the animation is wrapped up. From an animation perspective this series is top notch, the traditional hand to hand combat is smooth and the impact frames hit so well. Still wrapping my head around the plot I understand they condensed it quite a bit.

Oct 26, 2017
My son and I are about to finish the latest season of My Hero Academia and will be looking for something new to dive into. While we love MHA, it's a little too booby and oogly for my tastes at times...especially when Mineta is on-screen. Or Midnight. Or...well, most women in the show who aren't in high school. Curious how this show is?

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
My son and I are about to finish the latest season of My Hero Academia and will be looking for something new to dive into. While we love MHA, it's a little too booby and oogly for my tastes at times...especially when Mineta is on-screen. Or Midnight. Or...well, most women in the show who aren't in high school. Curious how this show is?
The show is fun and dumb but it's not appropriate for a young kid to watch. There's random fan service at times

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not this, but check out Mob Psycho 100

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so conflicted on this anime. I don't care much for the characters, I feel mixed on the super powers and would've probably preferred more grounded martial arts action, and I don't care for the overarching plot. But goddamn does it look so fucking good. This last episode was incredible. How do they keep releasing shit like this weekly?

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Holy fuck at EP 11.

It's entirely different from the webtoon but I still love it.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I have resigned myself to this show just being cool animated fights and dumb fun. If I get character moments that's just a nice little bonus. :)

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very confused on what's going on with some of the powers in this show.

Shark guy summons shark teeth that impale people but then it shows they didn't actually take impalement damage. What kind of damage are they taking? That one dude got chewed up and was spewing blood but then he had one little injury to the gut afterwards? But this episode the shark actually literally bit that guy in half?

Does the audience see this shark? Are they just seeing the guy magically suspended in midair spewing blood and then suddenly turning out relatively fine? What the heck is going on?

Last edited:

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

Shark guy summons shark teeth that impale people but then it shows they didn't actually take impalement damage. What kind if damage are they taking? That one dude got chewed up and was spewing blood but then he had one little injury to the gut afterwards? But this episode the shark actually literally bit that guy in half?

Does the audience see this shark? Are they just seeing the guy magically suspended in midair spewing blood and then suddenly turning out relatively fine? What the heck is going on?
It seems everything short of the "Chomp" attack is more internal damage.

Rapture

Oct 26, 2017

Shark guy summons shark teeth that impale people but then it shows they didn't actually take impalement damage. What kind of damage are they taking? That one dude got chewed up and was spewing blood but then he had one little injury to the gut afterwards? But this episode the shark actually literally bit that guy in half?

Was wondering the same thing with the fight between Jin and the 9 tailed fox guy. Like, does the audience see him as the 9 tailed fox complete with fox ears and fire tails? And did they see him summon a dozen fire foxes before they were destroyed by Jin's invisible (?) staff?

And how did the demon guy get devoured by the shark, but the other 2 people only lose an arm and a leg?

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Was wondering the same thing with the fight between Jin and the 9 tailed fox guy. Like, does the audience see him as the 9 tailed fox complete with fox ears and fire tails? And did they see him summon a dozen fire foxes before they were destroyed by Jin's invisible (?) staff?

And how did the demon guy get devoured by the shark, but the other 2 people only lose an arm and a leg?

Shark probably only bitten half of demon guy's body

Last edited:

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Based on the last two eps, the anime's done a great job going above and beyond the craziness of the battles in the webtoon so far. It's great.

Yeah, it's all visible.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've read that part in the comic years ago and couldn't remember shit so whatever the anime does is new to me anyway

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
So did the compress the entire manhwa into 12 episodes?

The recent 2 episodes have completely lost me.

Went from a 8/10 cool series to something straight up bad.

I remember really enjoying the manhwa back in the day too.

Doesn't feel like this is setting up for a second season

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just when you think this show can't get any crazier, it does. What the hell is even going on

Oct 27, 2017
Episode One: Make it to the high-school martial arts tournament
Episode 12: Kill a God

It was interesting, but now, it is as nonsensical as the lame anime/JRPGs go, where the main protagonist goes from the high-schoolder/adventurer to the world savior fighting gods and nukes... Plus, the hand-to-hand combat was way more enjoyable than this DBZ god-summoning...

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Two things just killed this adaptation...

1. The hyper fast speed covering the source (13 eps for 110 caps from the webtoon is too damn fast)...
2. The many, many changes in almost every key event (like the outcome of the match between Jin Mori/Park Ilpyo)...

It's a shame that a beautiful animation is wasted with this pace and narrative decisions... :(

Last edited: