• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
This is a cool video and I love seeing all those amazing classic/retro games. Parallax was such an awesome effect.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool video. I always loved scrolling effects in 2d games, going back to stuff like Defender and Moon Patrol (neat to see the latter in the video). Some early SMS games like Choplifter and Black Belt were really impressive in that regard so I was disappointed more late '80s 8-bit games didn't have those effects. The 16-bit console/computer era really ramped up the parallax scrolling for home games, as the video mentions and it was exciting to see.

Last edited:

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
parallax scrolling was a big deal to me when i was a kid. the first time i saw it in action was like the first time i experienced a 60fps game--- game changing.

It always blows my mind when i see it in a less than 16 bit game too

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
SEGA's 1985 arcade remake of Choplifter, known to be one of the first home computer game-to-arcade ports/remakes, and Ninja Gaiden III on the Famicom/NES impressed me greatly. As do many MD/Genesis/PC-Engine/CD-ROM/SNES /NEO-GEO/Arcade/Japan high-end comps.ETC.

I watched this video and loved every moment of it.

Sadly, I apparently didn't care enough as a youngster to notice it much. But, even today, I still feel that something is missing if I'm playing a 2D game with no parallax scrolling.

So, did games actually actively advertise parallax scrolling as a feature back in the day? Or was it kind of a nice extra feature to have in a game, but not a big deal if it wasn't there?

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
Haven't watched the video yet, but for everyone who loves this and haven't seen them yet, check out both Ori games, but especially Will of the Wisps. Absolutely magical.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I really like how modern 2D games are taking advantage of 3D engines like Unity to push as many parallax layers as possible. Like how Ori or Hollow Knight's environments are made up of dozens of 2D planes stacked on top of each other in 3D space, so the parallax comes naturally as the camera pans around:

02-6-unity_parallax.1-min-compressor.gif

layers.png

I'm pretty surprised he didn't bring up Choplifter for Master System (and I believe a few other 8-but platforms as well).

I suppose, like Shadow of the Beast, it's one of the better known examples out there, so he didn't feel compelled to bring it up.

Not that I recall. It's not a term most people buying games would know but reviewers in magazines would sometimes mention it.

Ah, ok - he made it seem like it was a major point to bring up during the console wars - and maybe it was in certain groups. I guess I figured it was fairly well known among gamers back then.

I was pretty young back when it would've been spoken about, so I missed that train.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Not that I recall. It's not a term most people buying games would know but reviewers in magazines would sometimes mention it.

yeah i remember back in the day when all we had were still shots in magazines, i rarely remember parallax being mentioned. so when you saw a 16 bit game in motion, there was an added element of being amazed.

i like that in the video, sega lord X brings up Robocop in the arcade, as that was definitely one of my first memories of parallax

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like how modern 2D games are taking advantage of 3D engines like Unity to push as many parallax layers as possible. Like how Ori or Hollow Knight's environments are made up of dozens of 2D planes stacked on top of each other in 3D space, so the parallax comes naturally as the camera pans around:

02-6-unity_parallax.1-min-compressor.gif

layers.png

so glad this was mentioned! i've been playing through hollow knight and the layering is crazy good. sometimes i just count the layers in certain rooms.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I love seeing some of this stuff on the NES, just feels like the hardware is punching way above its weight.

train-level.gif

metal-storm-bg.gif

sword-master.gif

EwxEP5Y.gif

eJelxAM.gif

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Not only that but I loved the mode 7 effect used in Super Castlevania 4. Even with slowdown it was impressive and showed the difference between the SNES and the NES. It was definitely a cool next gen feature.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, ok - he made it seem like it was a major point to bring up during the console wars - and maybe it was in certain groups. I guess I figured it was fairly well known among gamers back then.
In my anecdotal experience, a lot of gamers took notice of the "3d effects" and thought they were cool but usually only the hardcore crowd reading magazines like EGM and Gamefan would use more technical terms like "parallax scrolling", "sprites", "scaling", "Mode 7", etc..

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
My God! Imagine what every 10 year old at that time must have felt seeing this. Is this one of the most technologically impressive games of any time? I want to play it.
The creator, Antony Crowther, made a bunch of really great games in that era. Actually as a teen at the time, and being interested in game dev, I called the publisher to see if I could speak to him. They put me through and we had a good chat. That was so nice of him.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
whoa this game reminds me of a bad ass version of Super Locomotive (which has some nice lil 1982 parallax scrolling of its own)

Interesting. I had never heard of that arcade game. Yeah it's clearly inspiration. Not surprising really, in those days everyone was trying to recreate the arcade in the living room.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first time I remember seeing parallax scrolling is in this Commodore 64 game, Forbidden Forest:

I had absolutely no idea what was going on but man that effect was cool.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Another great modern example is the remake of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap that came out a while ago, particularly this area:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
What game is this? Also, is there an explanation for why the two bg layers are moving in the wrong direction?

Jim Power: The Lost Dimension in 3D

I think the weird parallax is because it was released with some 3D glasses. I've never actually seen the glasses or how it looks while using the glasses, though.

It's absolutely nauseating to play. The gif doesn't capture it, but running to and fro causes the background to whip around in a really disorienting way. The game's also really hard in general, from what I remember.

neopokekun

Apr 19, 2019
A parallax technique not often mentioned makes use of multiple character sets (usually four) where the graphics in the characters for the background are in different positions. This allows for more detailed parallax backgrounds and a good illusion of an actual layer. You see this in C64 games like:

Flimbo's Quest (the hi-score table in the title sequence is made of sprites)

or some of the shoot em up levels of Turrican 2

A more recent example there is Soul Force

Last edited:

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
Great video. I loved how classic Sonic games used parallax scrolling. It made for a nice pseudo 3D effect that gave depth to stages, for example here in Sonic 2:
1*P59B4btXa9R2TiiLBboyhg.gif

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Jim Power: The Lost Dimension in 3D

I think the weird parallax is because it was released with some 3D glasses. I've never actually seen the glasses or how it looks while using the glasses, though.

It's absolutely nauseating to play. The gif doesn't capture it, but running to and fro causes the background to whip around in a really disorienting way. The game's also really hard in general, from what I remember.

Thanks! Yeah, it seems having the backgrounds move in the opposite direction helps with the 3D effect. And yes, very hard to watch (and I would assume play) in motion.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
DAMN. That Astal game! That shit looks ridiculous!

Guardian Heroes looks incredible as well!

Never had a Saturn, didn't know those games.

Why there aren't more games like those today? Are they harder to make?

I think a lot of the 2D games nowadays look so bad when compared to this era. For example, Bloodstained looks bland, while SotN is so beautiful

EDIT: I mean, we do have some games that really pushed forward 2D visuals, like Cuphead and Ori. Hollow Knight looks great as well

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I love seeing some of this stuff on the NES, just feels like the hardware is punching way above its weight.

train-level.gif

metal-storm-bg.gif

sword-master.gif

EwxEP5Y.gif

eJelxAM.gif
It kinda was, those 8 bit machines usually can't actually do parallax scrolling by using multiple layers, these effects are usually faked by scrolling the single tile layer left and right on H-blanks, effectively causing intentional screen tearing. Same with any wavy screen effect at the time. Notice how the layers don't have any overlapping graphics, when they do they're usually having sprites move along with a different background line. Of course that didn't stop in the 16 bit era, since you can theoretically put every single pixel line on a different scrolling speed you could do waaaaay more with it than you could with just the few tile layers the SNES or Mega Drive hardware could push, especially when you're simulating a tilted ground surface like in, say, Street Fighter II.

DAMN. That Astal game! That shit looks ridiculous!

Guardian Heroes looks incredible as well!

Never had a Saturn, didn't know those games.

Why there aren't more games like those today? Are they harder to make?

I think a lot of the 2D games nowadays look so bad when compared to this era. For example, Bloodstained looks bland, while SotN is so beautiful

A lot of those games were the AAA-equivalent of their time, top talent and top budgets. Now most 2D games are indie projects and there isn't as much of a big industry interest in sprite art talent.