• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's way more Ghibli than I expected.

Keeping in mind it's incomplete, it looks pretty good. The character animation isn't as fluid, but the CG integration looks good and the character designs are appealing.

I hope it turns out well for them. Doing something like this for the first time in a country must be so hard.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
That looks fantastic. I hope they can complete that work because the amount of effort in there is stunning.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is very inspiring for future Pakistani animators (not to just become doctors and dentists lol) and impressive they're all self taught. Hope this film becomes big, it's nice to have something positive coming out of Pakistan.

Khizer recalls, "We had to figure out everything ourselves. [Usman] taught himself how to storyboard, Aamir – our animation director – reverse engineered how to do the animation. Production did the same."​
Attracting talent to work on 2d animation in Pakistan wasn't straightforward either. Traditional animation is a tough, highly skilled area of work, and the Mano Animation crew were surprised when a call for artists drew replies from doctors and dentists willing to switch from their established careers in order to work on the film.​
While the response from those professionals was remarkable, often the greatest challenge was convincing their parents that a career in animation is possible in Pakistan. Usman recalls that, "We sometimes spent days at the studio with parents coming in and assessing what we were doing, seeing if it was worthwhile for their kids to venture off and try. It's very difficult to ask that of someone. Your child has a successful trajectory, and we're asking them to abandon that."​
The passion that Riaz and his team displayed to the parents was what eventually persuaded many to allow their children to join the studio. As Usman recalls, "One of the dentists' fathers was in the studio and was constantly arguing with us that this is not a good idea. We were trying to convince him saying, 'But it is, and your child is very talented; please let her pursue her dream and let her come and work in the studio.' After about a day of discussion with Khizer, Mariam, and myself, he walked out and told his daughter, 'You know these guys? They look so crazy, and they are so crazy about this craft that they'll do it, so you should work here.'"​
"I hope that this starts a tradition in Pakistan, and we can make more films like this and encourage more kids who wanna be doctors to become artists," says Paracha. "That's our dream."​

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
This looks great and it's nice to see it come out of Pakistan, hopefully it kickstarts a trend

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
That's very remarkable, especially after reading how much of a struggle it was to get animators and learn animation.

As a South Asian, I was a bit disappointed going through the footage and seeing such a heavy European focus, but then there seemed to be scenes set in a South Asian region or district, so that's something.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's very remarkable, especially after reading how much of a struggle it was to get animators and learn animation.

As a South Asian, I was a bit disappointed going through the footage and seeing such a heavy European focus, but then there seemed to be scenes set in a South Asian region or district, so that's something.
There definitely seems like a mix of cultures, it's mostly European but some south asian flavour too. I wonder if the story takes that into factor.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. That's way better than I expected. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this.