• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I hate generalizations. I hate people lumping entire groups of people together based on one thing they do or love. In this case gaming.

Now I will say that there are plenty of fucked up shit in gaming communities. From Gamersgate, to cancel culture, to sexist, anti female anti gay anti lgtbq. What I don't understand is why there is some sort of mentality that this is "gaming" or "gamers". When there is a large group of people who are just not tolerant of others. That has nothing to do with gaming, that has to do with how they were brought up, how their culture is and general human behaviour.

Ofcourse if they get into a certain hobby, be it gaming or riding a bike, they will keep that part of their personality with them into that hobby. Now Im not sure how to chance these people. I dont even think you can in some cases.

But what really irks me is when I go online on Twitter or such, and I see people calling out shit opinions as "gamersTM".

For instance, people raging against TLOU2 because of some things they don't like.
Now you could say "man those GAMERS again, they really don't like inclusivity so fuck GAMERS".

Or you could just understand that there is a subset of people who are anti women, anti LGTBQ and that permutates in everything they do in their daily lives. Ofcourse in real life, they are not anonimous so they cannot just shit on women or lgtbq in daily life, they will get fired or punch in the face (deservedly).

Now why are there people who lump in these kinds of people into one giant group. GAMERS. As if we are all some hivemind where none of us has their own thoughts or things to say? What I have learned in my life is generalization is wrong.

You cannot say "Women are bad drivers". You cannot say "All gay people dress flamboyant". You cannot say "All men are pigs".

I mean you can, but you really shouldnt. Because adressing an entire group of people and thinking that they are all the same, is insulting for many.

I am 100% pro lgtbq, womens rights, black rights and I do consider myself a person who loves videogames. Some would say a gamer. I don't want to be generalized like some people are doing.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You should try not making your hobby a large part of your identity. If you know it's not in reference to you, why care.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Wha

gamers aren't systematically oppressed?? All of your other examples are what the fuck this is so obviously not the same

(Also is the reason why all men are pigs is something you *can* say)

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
People call out Gamers(TM) because for the damn longest this industry treated serious issues like racism and sexism as unavoidable features for all.

Who cares about reclaiming the title Gamer?

Also, ACAB.

Dec 2, 2017
Why does anyone define themselves as a gamer anyway? You play video games. Hopefully, your life and personality consists of more than video games.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
3e2.jpg

It doesn't take a genius to realize that "gamers" is directed at literally every single person that plays game but the larger cultural issues that infest this hobby and the communities dedicated to it.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
All men are pigs and fuck gamers. Come at me, I don't care, do your not all men and not all gamers thing

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Thing is, the loudest gamers are like this. Not in ERA, because they'd get banned, but in the real world/YouTube/Old Place/GameFAQs/4chan. They are mentally 13-16 or actually those ages, which doesn't help.

Just play games and chat with us on here, don't define yourself as a "gamer".

Slingles

Oct 29, 2017
South Wales
User banned (5 days): hostility against another member, inappropriate language
This is the most gamer post there is. Seriously, you're not oppressed you nonce

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now why are there people who lump in these kinds of people into one giant group. GAMERS. As if we are all some hivemind where none of us has their own thoughts or things to say? What I have learned in my life is generalization is wrong.
Who still does this though? I've haven't been stereotyped for enjoying video games in years now. Maybe by like... boomers. But who under 50 years old is stereotyping "gamers" as a monolithic entity?

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
gamers are the most persecuted of all peoples, and it's so insane because the society we live in literally enables this

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Gamers aren't a persecuted or marginalized minority. Grow up.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Now I will say that there are plenty of fucked up shit in gaming communities. From Gamersgate, to cancel culture, to sexist, anti female anti gay anti lgtbq. What I don't understand is why there is some sort of mentality that this is "gaming" or "gamers". When there is a large group of people who are just not tolerant of others. That has nothing to do with gaming, that has to do with how they were brought up, how their culture is and general human behaviour.
It is gaming culture.

A culture is ultimately just a widely-held set of practices and beliefs among a group of people who share something in common. So, if 30 gamers are going around calling black people niggers, and another 170 are either saying nothing, telling the black people "it's just trash talk; don't take it seriously," or worse- getting mad at the black people for wanting to do more about it than "put them on mute," then all 200 of these gamers are engaging in a racist culture, and all 200 of them are trash.

For decades, gamers and developers alike have cultivated a culture of flagrant bigotry, resistance to inclusion, and a culture of silence because they have done nothing. Every single time when the chips were down to finally stand up for something- anything- more than which favorite piece of plastic should win the generation (with the exception of the current BLM protests because if there's one thing gaming culture can't ignore, it's the threat of destroyed capital and lost money), you all have dropped the ball. Gamergate being a thing wasn't necessarily what sunk you; it's the fact that you all didn't fucking fight back against it.

And this shouldn't even be surprising; regardless of player demographics, game development and gaming culture is mainly spearheaded by conservative, straight, white dudes, most of which with a chip on their shoulder for having been bullied in high school over their nerdy passions and running with this shit as if it's real oppression. Thus, empathy is in short supply. On top of that, you all wrap yourselves in the blanket of apolitics and tell people to just leave you alone so you don't have to deal with "reality" because you "just want to play games," completely inconsiderate of the fact that minorities do not have that luxury of escaping the reality of their lives when they walk into gamer spaces. When I log onto Overwatch I want to escape reality too; how the fuck am I supposed to do that when someone is being racist or sexist, which in turn reminds me that I'm an outsider in the wider world at large?

Gaming culture has a deep bigotry problem. Crying that "every fan culture has a bigotry problem" does nothing to make gaming more inclusive. Instead, it removes the burden of responsibility on gamers to take charge of their own culture and cultivate it into a place where people all of persuasions really can just sit back, chill, and have fun. Pull yourselves together. Grow the fuck up. Be good citizens first and consumers second. Actually make a moral stand for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.