• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most impressive animation?

• Uncharted 4 / TLL

Votes: 297 24.1%
  • Spider-Man

Votes: 49 4.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 383 31.1%
  • God of War

Votes: 72 5.8%
  • The Last Guardian

Votes: 91 7.4%
  • Cuphead

Votes: 252 20.4%
  • Devil May Cry V

Votes: 89 7.2%

• Total voters

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A shame that the game with best animations isnt even on the pool, FFXV is by far the game with most and better animated animations, look at this and tell me there are better animations than that, I remember digital foundry saying it back then too.

I mean look at how they even fist bump, or pat each other in the head, or push each other, grab each other, there is one animation that one of the character even drops its glasses and the other picks it up and throws it back at him, they even swap weapons during some of these, throwing the weapon at each other, and a lot of other details in a 9 minute long video of UNIQUE animationes, its all on the little details, no other game has all these animations and this sense of impact, its a shame the game doesnt explain the link system in depth, so most people didnt get to see half of these animations.

Also look at this:

Squareenix went all out on this game, out of all of their work this is by far the most impressive, it would take an hour long video to see all the diferent animations this game has. Also a shame this is dlc royal edition only (and locked behind a long ass sidequest of sorts) but look at all that, simply awesome.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but apart from Cuphead those are all titles that make extensive use of mocap. That disqualifies it for me.
Motion capture is highly massaged by hand by animators, and a lot gameplay animation is purely keyframed regardless. Basic stuff like hand/finger motions aren't picked up by mocap either.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Motion capture is highly massaged by hand by animators, and a lot gameplay animation is purely keyframed regardless. Basic stuff like hand/finger motions aren't picked up by mocap either.

Yes, I completely understand that, but cleaning up Mocap and doing Keyframe animation from scratch are still 2 completely different pair of shoes. Most of the titles listed in the OP to me fall flat when we're discussing excellence in Animation. This has nothing to do with Animation as an artform anymore and I much, much prefer proper keyframe animators over mocap cleaners all day every day.

Case in point, if an Animator who worked on these games (I'm talking Uncharted, Red Dead, God of War,...) would apply at Moon, unless they have an extremely strong reel showing off their Keyframe Animation Skills, they wouldn't have any chance of landing a job with us. To me, the success of MoCap is one of those tragedies in this industry that's actively killing an artform. Quite a few of the videos posted on these pages just don't show great animation - I can smell that Mocap from a mile away and it always ends up looking wooden and completely ignores a lot of the techniques that could be used in wonderful ways to enhance gameplay. For example, at Moon we use tons of Squash 'n Stretch in order to make movement and attacks way more satisfying - You can't do this kinda stuff with Mocap.

Don't wanna come off as too snobby, but I grew up loving Animation, I'm a huge proponent of Keyframe Animation in games and sadly, there's way too little of it right now - and seeing a thread like this where people go bananas over Mocap animation just makes me sad.

Last edited:

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Don't wanna come off as too snobby, but I grew up loving Animation, I'm a huge proponent of Keyframe Animation in games and sadly, there's way too little of it right now - and seeing a thread like this where people go bananas over Mocap animation just makes me sad.

I agree, but i'm maybe snobby in the opposite way. I'd preferred if game animation went more on the procedural end of animation generation. Creating more dynamic interactable animations on the fly.

It's way hardware intensive and not a 'back of the box' selling point. But it would makes action games endlessly more replayable.

Give you a good idea on why it impressive, even to this day, but also why it's difficult to create and implement. I hoped it would be in more mainstream use by now, proprietary tech or otherwise.
www.eurogamer.net

Nine years later, one feature in GTA4 has never been bettered - here's its story

Charting the phenomenal progress of video games these past few decades is easy enough. You've probably seen an image of…

Bridge demo from 2007

Last edited:

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Uncharted 4's were the most impressive to me because unlike Red Dead 2, they were still really fast and responsive and I didn't feel like I just had to sit back and wait for my character to respond to inputs before I could do something else.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of little details and gameplay impact, I'd have to say DMCV or RDR2

But in terms of emotional impact and storytelling through visuals, I'd have to say Playdead's Inside. So many moments in that game hinge on these small impactful animations details. Like walking in queue and the boy hunching in fear, glancing over his shoulder, hand clenching. Or the mix of fluid movement and gross detail of the finale.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I'm sorry, but apart from Cuphead those are all titles that make extensive use of mocap. That disqualifies it for me.
The Last guardian was 100% Key Frame animation

I'd like to move on and talk about the animation since there were many questions about that as well. To summarize, the main question was: "How did you create so much amazing animation?" Many people think you used motion capture.

Tanaka: I should mention straight away that we did not use motion capture in The Last Guardian. It was all done by hard-working animators using keyframe animation.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
More FFXV examples:

RSDTrrI.gif

kD4QJnH.gif

993Pk4O.gif

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love Spiderman and Red Dead was much too slow for me but I still have to give it to Red Dead. Those horses walk around like horses.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody have the God of War gifs from Sunhi? I remember being blown away by the combat animations

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Nothing particularly great in this GIF IMO. While I like the Euphoria physics, this is just a refined version of what was already in GTA IV. Physicswise your player character is mostly like drunkard, stumbling and falling over the smallest rocks at times. Anything climbing related is still completely awful like in every Rockstar game. The game has tons and tons and tons of good canned animations but I don't think it stands out for dynamic ones. Naughty Dog games are far better in this regard where they hit the sweet spot for player control vs animation and compared to a similar game like Shadow of the Tomb Raider you can just tell how UC4 just has better..well, everything. Less rubberbanding to climbing spots, less jank.

From Software games this gen still have some of the best animation when it comes to making them have the impression of weight and power behind them. God of War 2018 is also great in this regard. The SF V animations to me lack this completely making the characters seem like they are thrown around effortlessly, they aren't animated like human weight characters to me.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_opptrqpJ6R1v6aj9do3_400.gif

this is what you get for going low hp ;_;. yeah this game has some really amazing animation work, both in quality and quantity

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Cuphead took more talent and creativity than the others, the others are impressive technically but Cuphead wins this race.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I also think that DMC 5 is the right answer, because it just feel so good to play that game why it cut no corners in animation or graphical department. Also INSIDE.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely adore the animation Nintendo have been putting into their games recently, especially Mario Odyssey.

There's an immense amount of attention to detail to making everything seem organic and natural, smooth, with proper elasticity. Contrary to motion capture, nothing feels wooden or stiff. I mean just look at this:

kKJJXw.gif

Look at how everything looks like actual mass of fat giggling around. This is just one example that I could find, but every boss in Mario Odyssey grabbed my attention with their fluid and elastic animations.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Red dead redemption 2 is the most amazing thing I have ever seen on a console and I've only ever played it a handful of times for a few minutes

I don't even own it

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Not a huge fan of the RDR2 animations. A person doesn't stumble like that when he walks over a rock or slight slope....

Maybe thats more a physics thing than animation though. Either way, it has to be Cuphead.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I'd probably give it to Inside. The blends are practically flawless with different anims produced for any potential scenario the player could do. It's a mind boggling amount of work and attention to detail that AAA would never be able to do due to production demands and scheduling etc.

Aug 13, 2019
As much as I love FFXV and have enjoyed RDR2, I've got to give it to Uncharted 4. DMCV comes closest compared to other games mentioned, but Uncharted 4 still blows it and all of its competition out of the water.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I absolutely adore the animation Nintendo have been putting into their games recently, especially Mario Odyssey.

There's an immense amount of attention to detail to making everything seem organic and natural, smooth, with proper elasticity. Contrary to motion capture, nothing feels wooden or stiff. I mean just look at this:

kKJJXw.gif

Look at how everything looks like actual mass of fat giggling around. This is just one example that I could find, but every boss in Mario Odyssey grabbed my attention with their fluid and elastic animations.

Odyssey's animation is fantastic, with the sole exception of Mario's walk cycle covering too much ground which makes the feet noticeably slippy. I can assure you from experience that was probably a design decision.

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Detroit's animation is most impressive when you're actually controlling the characters. Of course the QTEs and cinematics have great animation, but it's actually more impressive when you're moving around the world and your character is reacting to people and objects.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I also think the animation sets in Nier Automata are a good competitor. While not "as flashy" or numerous as some of the other picks here, the fact that there are different followthrough animations for each attack and combo, and the animations end differently depending on where you stop the combo, and the followthrough on some of the movements I also think it's a great looking game.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing The Last Guardian and for me I really think that has to be the winner. Trico is an incredible amalgam of dog and cat, with characteristics of both and utterly wonderful little details, like the the way it will become captivated and watch a flame if it sits next to it, or if it can't reach a barrel with its mouth it paws at it to try and get it within reach, or how it goes crazy at the stone guards and whacks the pieces around with its feet or bounces on the remains even after they're already smashed.

I've never been so captivated by a creature or NPC in a game before. It just looks so wonderful and utterly convincing.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I've been playing The Last Guardian and for me I really think that has to be the winner. Trico is an incredible amalgam of dog and cat, with characteristics of both and utterly wonderful little details, like the the way it will become captivated and watch a flame if it sits next to it, or if it can't reach a barrel with its mouth it paws at it to try and get it within reach, or how it goes crazy at the stone guards and whacks the pieces around with its feet or bounces on the remains even after they're already smashed.

I've never been so captivated by a creature or NPC in a game before. It just looks so wonderful and utterly convincing.
and it's all keyframed, no mocap.

the boy is amazingly animated as well. so much character in his animations.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Monster Hunter world for me, 1000s of hours and those animations are still as satisfying as the first time I did them. also there is no game matches it's monsters....

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
voted for Cuphead. but I think i might pick Death Stranding, i swear Sam has like hundreds of different animations for different situations.