• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I started with quite a few DOS games and my uncle let me dabble in Prince of Persia but ultimately it's when my dad came home with a NES that I tried the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt pack-in and that pack-in is what made me fall in love with gaming.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Metal Gear Solid

Before it I already had a lot of fun with titles like Super Mario World and Crash Bandicoot, but for me at the time MGS was something that went way beyond those titles. I also happened to play it when I started learning english at school so it was kinda cool using the english-portuguese dictionary to discover new words and stuff... but obviously I didn't get the story at all lol

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Some obvious ones like FF6 and Pokemon Blue. But I wanna put forward one that really got me to love games, and that's Harvest Moon: Back to Nature on PS1. It was one of the first games that I got into wholly, trying to maximize my gains, planning my farm at school, writing down recipes from the TV, looking stuff up on GameFAQs, things like that. What a wonderful game.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Super Mario Bros.3 entrenched me into gaming with all the different forms..

Then Street Fighter 2 captivated me with all the characters in the arcade

Half Life astounded me with emergent storyline in videogames that's impossible in other media.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I used to play games since I was young. I loved Mario, Ice Climbers, Excitebike, Bomberman, Popeye (I think it was a Popeye game??) etc., but I only had a regular NES and didn't really experienced the SNES until the PSX/N64 gen came out. My dad got me a PlayStation during summer of 97, and I played games like Rage Racer and a few other games based on tv shows that I loved like Reboot and Beast Wars. Those were some terrible ass games. It wasn't until 98 that my mom got me Mega Man Legends, and that was my first real adventure with a great, amazing 3D game. That was the game that made me chose games above toys (I was 10 in 98), and decided to get good games after that. That's why I love that game so much, and I still think it's fantastic. I wish we could get an HD port to enjoy it again. I might just have to use my Vita instead. Right after MML I played my favorite game of all time, which was OOT. That was such an amazing time in my life.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved video games. But playing Final Fantasy 9 and Chrono Cross really showed me what the medium was capable of, having been a nintendo kid growing up.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Etvideogamecover.jpg

Just kidding, it's Sonic The Hedgehog

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Yoshi's Island or Medievil, one of those two.
Yoshi's Island is a game I played once and I LOVED IT and never got to play again for years, it gave me a yearning
Medievil was a game I loved and played over and over again.\
So I will call them on equal level.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Damnnn. I'm going way back to 1994. Probably Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

The first game I ever remember playing was SMB on the NES. I must have been 3 years old. I definitely preferred Sonic in those days. I also played a shit load of Ninja Turtles as well.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid, Super Mario World, as well as MMX and DKC series. Basically SNES platformers.

But what ultimately cemented my true love for gaming (and jRPGs) was Final Fantasy VII.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Such a trite answer, but SMB1. We've had consoles before NES, but none of them interested me much, but when we got that NES with Mario/Duck Hunt that was it for me. I was hooked and still am. Duck Hunt was whatever and I think the other game we got was Top Gun, so SMB was kinda on a whole other level.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The first video game I remember playing
super-mario-bros-3-title-feat.jpg

6 year old me was completely fucking mesmerized. I immediately fell in love with video games from that point forward. By the time I was 8 I was reading Game Informer every month. I needed to see and know everything about video games.

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not sure.
Probably a PC game I played at my fathers or something else.
Could be Ragnacenty as well.

I don't remember the exact names of the PC games. I have Carmen Sandiego in mind but I'm not even sure I played that when I was that young or later.
Very hazy memory of childhood.

itsric

Aug 1, 2020
I cant remember.

but the recent game that made me love gaming again when I was almost completely about to drop the hobby was Ori and the Blind Forest. It was pretty short but it was enough to make me love gaming again.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
I've been gaming since Famicom and what not, but it was Street Fighter 2 oddly enough that made me fall in love with video games.. played it on an arcade when I was kid, was blown away with how unique it played especially seeing Blanka and Dhalsim for the first time, and sure enough when I got it for SNES it was pure bliss.

It was JRPGs that got me hooked again after a while, particularly Final Fantasy 6. It was a love affair with Squaresoft back then. They could do nothing wrong and I'm glad they are getting back to that point with their current releases.

Deleted member 73558

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 2, 2020
Sid Meier's Pirates on Amstrad. So many hours roaming the seas. This was the first game that I couldn't wait to get back to, hence the first game that I loved.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Joust. I watched it and my imagination ran wild with images of long-lost civilizations having to fight in ostriches to solve grievances, in a nobleman bloodsport. Impossible not to love it, and see how it could be the future of entertainment.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Hard to pick one, but probaly Ys II, SD Snatcher or Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes on the MSX. Ys II was just the prettiest thing I'd ever seen up to that point, and the first 'action' RPG I played. Dragon Slayer the first experience with a world map, towns, buying gear for your crew, levelling, entering dark dungeons and using torches to see more. SD Snatcher was just plain cool because of the futuristic setting.

2070050.jpg

27-scr03052.gif

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Kinda hard to say for me - I don't recall if I had a Game Boy or a C64 earlier.
If it was a Game Boy it was either Tetris or Super Mario Land 1.
C64 I honestly couldn't say - it was used, we got a truckload of floppies with it and I was just exploring these unmarked things.
Maybe Giana Sisters. Maybe something I can't even remember the name off.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
For me it was Super Mario Bros. 1 on the NES. I was 5 when the Nintendo released, and it was one of the first video games I had ever seen, if not the first. I remember playing it on my cousin's NES, and fell in love. Been a gamer ever since.

The NES made me a gamer, and the PS1 kept me a gamer, in particular when games like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night released.

And now I make video games for a living, so I feel like I came full circle XD XD

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
i dabbled with a lot of different games as a kid. My grandparents got a PC when I was 7, and I'd spend my weekends with them, playing whatever my grandfather picked up at a local bazaar.

But the game that cemented my adoration for its genre and pretty much hooked me on gaming as an all-encompassing hobby was undoubtedly WarCraft II. It was so different compared to anything else I played that it felt truly revolutionary. It was epic, it required meticulous thinking, and it was gorgeous-looking. I've spent long nights dreaming about the next session, racking my brain on how to survive a beginning of a particular mission against AI's onslaught.

That game was perfection. And it's shaped my gaming preferences in many ways.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It was a trio from Nintendo that started it all *looks into the distance*

When I was 6 years old we had Super Mario World, Yoshis Island and Pokemon was around the corner for me. Those 3 games made me a fan of the hobby. I remember playing them with my sister and my father.

What really made me fall in love however was FFIX. It made me realize games can be more than just fun, that they can be emotional and tell stories with relatable characters. It made me understand that this will be a hobby I have with me for my entire life.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I already played many games before on the Amiga500 and other platform.... but the one that made me LOVE the media was FFVII on the PSone.
The story, the characters, the gameplay, the graphic... everything was like a dream for me.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
DpJgQJmU0AAyQFs.jpg

The Legend of Zelda.

This game is the game that made me not just a fan of gaming, but the fantasy genre as a whole.

It's hands down the one piece of media that's had the biggest impact on me as a person.

I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for that game.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Bros and the Legend of Zelda Zelda on NES. Both game really showed me what video games all about.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
GTA Vice City on PS2.

Was playing games before but this is where it really clicked

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
The original Dizzy on the Amstrad CPC. Or maybe Hunchback which was the first game I played on my CPC as it came packed in.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
darkcastle.gif

This game is what opened my eyes to what games could be back in my childhood. I'll never forget it.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Halo Combat Evolved.

Stepping my foot into Halo for the first time was an experience I will never forget

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Pokemon Red.

I grew up playing video games with my dad and I enjoyed them but I didn't fall in love with gaming. It was only when he bought a GameBoy Color + Pokemon Red. That thing could've been glued to my hand and it wouldn't have mattered. I remember waking up early on school days so I could play before I had to go get ready. I'd play it walking to school and sometimes even in class. Out in the playground I was playing it. During launch I was playing it. Walking home I was playing it. Out in the street I was playing it.

I would carry extra batteries with me to school/out in the street and if I was in the house or at a friends house I'd be sitting up against the wall using the the adapter. I was like that for Red/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal.