• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When you say things like "going hands on" it really makes it seem like you don't know what GDC is about. Video game developers are a pretty tech savvy bunch, the things that can be dealt with digitally, already are, for the most part. GDC is an event based around facilitating the sort of interactions that still need to be done face-to-face. It's about meeting with potential partners, sharing information and making personal connections. All of those things are necessary for people to do their jobs.

This isn't about toys, it's about resources and information moving through an industry.

Thank you for the well thought out response. I'll admit while I pay attention to GDC when it comes around annually, I don't really dig into it much beyond that.

My OP probably came off as I was trying to say "tough shit" to all those involved which wasn't my intent. It was more geared towards those making it seem like these companies were weak and should go in spite of the current circumstances.

So again I appreciate you elaborating on what exactly GDC is, I can appreciate how shitty it is for all involved but again surely everyone can respect the circumstances and I hope everyone can find a means to still reach out to people and find success until this is all sorted out and things return to normal.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its looking like sony and microsoft might be doing their own nintendo direct type shows now to reveal their consoles. don't think they are gonna want to have events if the corona virus is still around.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
It sucks for everybody with tickets, but still good decision. Even if they had done it, so many companies would have cancelled it that the people going would be missing on many sessions and chances to talk with fellow devs.

Hope by summer we got most of the situation controlled.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the well thought out response. I'll admit while I pay attention to GDC when it comes around annually, I don't really dig into it much beyond that.

My OP probably came off as I was trying to say "tough shit" to all those involved which wasn't my intent. It was more geared towards those making it seem like these companies were weak and should go in spite of the current circumstances.

So again I appreciate you elaborating on what exactly GDC is, I can appreciate how shitty it is for all involved but again surely everyone can respect the circumstances and I hope everyone can find a means to still reach out to people and find success until this is all sorted out and things return to normal.

No worries.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they could re-schedule/find a different venue, companies have other commitments for their staff. E3/Gen Con/PAX prep is going to be full swing very soon, if not this very moment.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They kinda had this decision forced on them once everyone and their grandma pulled, but even if they didn't this would have been the most sensible call.