• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
it's so weird that a critically-acclaimed evergreen game belonging to an esteemed franchise that pays reverence to gaming's history and which holds broad enough appeal to sell 16 million units in a year is winning an online popularity contest

i'm not sure why, but I think this thing might be rigged. you'd think the vote would easily go to a game from 2019 that's more beloved and popular. wait what

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
In my eyes Star Wars JFO is a poor man's God of War so it getting into the finals kinda confirms the narrative that 2019 is a weak year.

My opinion is definitive. :P

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
It's very telling about the quality of this years games that the best game of 2019 is from 2018.

Oct 31, 2017
If you ever need proof that Era is a bubble within a bubble within a bubble, just look at all these posts where users can't figure out how Smash Bros. and a Star Wars game are winning a popularity contest.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Sekiro and Outer Wilds got my votes in every poll they appeared in. <3 (Shame the latter didn't appear in the players's choice bracket.)

Last edited:

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Voted for Smash, FE3H, and Astral Chain in the first round, and now Smash and FE3H in the second. Looks like a sizable amount of voters are with me on those selections. lol

(I actually haven't even played AC or FE3H yet. I just want a Nintendo game to win.)

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I hate this technicality that includes Smash Bros into the mix. Smash Bros Ultimate is indeed one of the best video games of this decade - even overshadowing all of 2019's releases IMO - and it just casts this massive shadow that takes attention away from what should be a discussion about GOTY.
But fire emblem 3 houses is giving it a good run 2 days in a row. Smash isn't a lock yet.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I suppose it's possible that the "No no no ABSOLUTELY NOT A 2018 GAME NO SIR" crowd could rally behind Fire Emblem

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Lol

Thread bump reminded me that I get another vote today

I expect the ultimate winner to be a non-Nintendo game as the non-Nintendo pool winnows down to just a couple games for tomorrow

Possibly... I wouldn't write the Nintendo games off though. I think it'll be close between Smash, Fire Emblem, and Star Wars.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hate this technicality that includes Smash Bros into the mix. Smash Bros Ultimate is indeed one of the best video games of this decade - even overshadowing all of 2019's releases IMO - and it just casts this massive shadow that takes attention away from what should be a discussion about GOTY.
That Smash wasn't in the running last year was on a technicality, but I get the idea that Smash doesn't need this sort of recognition because Smash is a known quantity, so I do see where you're coming from on some level. I mean, GOTY discussion from bigger outlets like IGN has historically tended to favor big AAA offerings anyway, and that's definitely what I'd expect from fan voting, too. but I get being a bit disappointed by the notion that more recent releases that you or I might favor could go overshadowed by a game that technically 'doesn't belong'. Smash is the shit though so I can't be too disappointed

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • Day 1
    • Devil May Cry 5
    • Resident Evil 2
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Day 2
    • Devil May Cry 5
    • Resident Evil 2
  • Day 3
    • Devil May Cry 5

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
  • Day 1
    • Devil May Cry 5
    • Resident Evil 2
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Day 2
    • Devil May Cry 5
    • Resident Evil 2
  • Day 3
    • Devil May Cry 5
DMC V isn't making it to Day 3, but I admire the optimism.

Smash and Fire Emblem are starting to pull even further ahead of the rest. I'm thinking maybe some folk are changing their votes in light of their original choices likely not cutting the mustard.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
Guess Death Stranding is not winning the main one so he quickly introduced an audience vote after seeing it do well on IGNs. Well done Geoff, well done.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So... I don't get it - why were we allowed to vote in every category if this is the only "fan choice" one?

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Smash Ultimate deserves the win, and it looks like it very well may get it.

Not that The Game Awards mean a whole hell of a lot, and the "Players' Voice" even less so. Still, TGA usually manage to be quite entertaining for my wife and the GX crew. Looking forward to the madness!

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Smash Ultimate deserves the win, and it looks like it very well may get it.

Not that The Game Awards mean a whole hell of a lot, and the "Players' Voice" even less so.
Personally I'm rooting for Fire Emblem to take the Players' Voice award, since I think Smash has a very real chance of winning GOTY proper... the only other GOTY nomination I see potentially winning is RE2, and to be honest I think Smash has the edge.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Voted again for Astral Chain. It doesn't deserve to be snubbed at every GOTY award/ list this year the way it is at the moment. It's such a competent, stylish and polished experience.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Some updated results, Jedi dropped quite a bit:

Smash 21%
FE 18%
Jedi 14%
Death Stranding 13%
RE2 10%
Sekiro 9%
DMC5 and Astral Chain 7%

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
voted for fire emblem in the last round, simply because TGA needs to know Strategy games can also be GOTY, even if they are not as sexy as Fighting/Action adventure open world stuffs.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Oh I have no doubts that both Smash and FE will lose out when the voters for the other games rally around one of the remainders with a more realistic aesthetic
Jimmy Joe of yesterday, the first five minutes of voting aren't indicative of anything, but if they were then you would be the biggest of fools

May 5, 2018
Final round is live, but aren't there only supposed to be four finalists? Why are all of the previous nominees eligible? wtf
Yeah I noticed that too. The supposed final 4 are still in the lead though (Smash, FE3H, SWJFO and DS), and early on BOY howdy FE is off to a good start! Voted for it myself too. Gotta do it for MY BOI Claude!
tumblr_pw5xf2aHL51wib721o3_500.gif

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Damn, FETH leading the final day vote! Hope it wins, it's GOAT-tier! Smash and FETH are the only ones with decent votes so far, curious. Wonder if the DS and Star Wars fanbases will show up soon as well like last poll...

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
game awards needs to apologize and retroactively nominate and award Fire emblem and Xenoblade 2 (for music. seriously theres no excuse)

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Page now says they are tallying the votes.

cant wait for geoff to announce DS won the vote, despite trailing several games in the first two rounds by big margins.