• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People putting chips on Death Stranding? It's not even out yet and from what we've seen, I'm not sure if it will even be a contender

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I get this concern and it's something I thought about. I don't vote on the nominees or winners, we have a separate jury handle that. I haven't played through DS, so your guess is as good as mine in terms of how it will do in the voting.

Thank you for the transparency and self-awareness on this, Geoff. I think it will be evident that TGA aren't going to be too far out of step with general industry perception. The release of Death Stranding is a big event, no question, and it will receive tons of scrutiny and skepticism (as seen here), garnering an appropriate reception based on its merits and little else.

... but the temptation to troll with a wildly inappropriate category has to be strong. Perhaps it should win "Best Heavy Metal Album" in a nod to 30 years ago when Jethro Tull won out over Metallica at the Grammy awards and spurred decades of outrage.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be between Death Stranding ( if it turns out good ) and RE2.

DS will be more recent so if the first impressions are positive it will have the best chance.

Jun 24, 2019
Compete for GOTY:
RE 2
Sekiro
DMCV
Death Stranding
Smash

My GOTY is Sekiro. The game is perfection. I hope Astral Chain atleast nominated for the action or gameplay category, maybe even music.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
A ton of people have this odd thought that Geoff actually has more power in picking GOTY winners than he really does. Yes, he does have a vote, but it isn't given more weight than the others.

My personal pick is FE: Three Houses, but that has no real chance for overall.
That is a really serious accusation and very insulting to Geoff. I hope that is not what people are insinuating.

Also FE: Three Houses looks great but the winner will be Iceborne :P
I hope it is eligible

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
That is a really serious accusation and very insulting to Geoff. I hope that is not what people are insinuating.

Also FE: Three Houses looks great but the winner will be Iceborne :P
I hope it is eligible
It also has to deal with the Geoff and Kojima dynamic. This site has some tremendous hate for Kojima (read: not all). Hard to tell how geneuine people are being at times. More so when it comes to Kojima.

I would love for Iceborne to be in it, but sadly I don't think it will be considered.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
It also has to deal with the Geoff and Kojima dynamic. This site has some tremendous hate for Kojima (read: not all). Hard to tell how geneuine people are being at times. More so when it comes to Kojima.

I would love for Iceborne to be in it, but sadly I don't think it will be considered.
giphy.gif

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
but if death stranding wins it'll be even harder to take them seriously tbh.
Really? So you have played the game already? How is it?

I get this concern and it's something I thought about. I don't vote on the nominees or winners, we have a separate jury handle that. I haven't played through DS, so your guess is as good as mine in terms of how it will do in the voting.
I thought this was already known. Thank you for confirming it again here.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I forgot about Smash, but it will be a crime if Astral Chain doesnt receive any recognition. Critics absolutely loved it too.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I predict Death Stranding will lose GAME OF THE YEAR, but then at the end Geoff Keighley announces that Death Stranding wins GAME OF FOREVER and will then delete all Game of The Year winners in the past.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I'm there for the announcements and trailers honestly. I think Death Stranding, RE2, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice are all winning some kind of award.

I'm telling you Dreams deserves probably every award but it's in early access.

Deleted member 14939

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is an unpopular opinion but I hate remakes being eligible for GOTY awards.

I don't know much about RE2 so I can't speak on specifics for that, but unless the game was completely re imagined like say FF7 Remake is, I just don't think it should qualify.

If all a company did was update the graphics and make some menu changes is that really a "new game"? An example of this would be Gears of War Ultimate Edition. While a great remake of the first game, it's basically just a visual upgrade and some QoL changes.

I haven't seen anyone reapond to you yet, so hello.

Based on your criteria, RE2make is eligible for the GotY award.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I only watch them for the announcements between the ads so I don't really care/mind either way. I'm only there for trailers/info. Awards are just popularity contests for the most part.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only watch them for the announcements between the ads so I don't really care/mind either way. I'm only there for trailers/info. Awards are just popularity contests for the most part.
yeah pretty much. other than being happy about some smaller/indie games being in the spotlight by being nominated or featured, for me it's all about the trailers/announcements/musical performances.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I honestly just hope Smash gets nominated. It's the best game released in the past 12 months. Unless Pokémon drops in time for the cutoff date.

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is an unpopular opinion but I hate remakes being eligible for GOTY awards.

I don't know much about RE2 so I can't speak on specifics for that, but unless the game was completely re imagined like say FF7 Remake is, I just don't think it should qualify.

If all a company did was update the graphics and make some menu changes is that really a "new game"? An example of this would be Gears of War Ultimate Edition. While a great remake of the first game, it's basically just a visual upgrade and some QoL changes.

But Resi 2 is basically a complete reimagining based on the same concept. The gameplay is different because it has an entirely different perspective, they've reworked existing content to keep things fresh for veterans and they've added a sizeable amount of new stuff. It's incomparable to something like Gears Ultimate which had more texture work and a resolution and framerate bump but was fundamentally the same game. Resi 2 is what remakes should aspire to be.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
yeah

Death stranding will only have to be 2/3 as good as people are thinking for it to clean house

RE2remake is the other

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Seems a bit on the nose if Geoff devotes another Game Awards to Kojima, so that gives Sekiro and Smash some breathing room.

The best game this year has been Shadowbringers, without a doubt, but this is mostly a popularity contest, not a meritocracy, so I don't think it'll win much.

I think both DMC5 and Sekiro preemptively telling everyone there would be no DLC basically killed all ongoing interest in both.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Most likely nominees from games released thus far:
Resident Evil 2
Sekiro

Most likely to be in or out of the roster:
Devil May Cry V
Fire Emblem 3 Houses
Astral Chain
Outer Wilds
Link's Awakening
Gears 5

Most Likely to make the list from games not released thus far:
The Outer Worlds
Death Stranding
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
Doom Eternal

Final Prediction:
1. Resident Evil 2
2. Sekiro
3. Fire Emblem 3 Houses
4. Death Stranding
5. Doom Eternal
6. Either an Indie (Outer Wilds) or a MS represent (Gears 5)

*Aside from RE2 and Sekiro this year has been pretty mild, compared to 4 last years.

Last edited:

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if I had to nominate 6 games for GOTY contention this year I couldn't do it. It has been a pretty bad year for me.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Resident Evil 2
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Death Stranding
Devil May Cry 5
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Star Wars or The Outer Worlds

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I predict Death Stranding will lose GAME OF THE YEAR, but then at the end Geoff Keighley announces that Death Stranding wins GAME OF FOREVER and will then delete all Game of The Year winners in the past.

And the award will never be given again, because it's impossible to top Death Stranding. Please do it TGA.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I think the short list will include RE2, Sekiro, Fire Emblem, DMCV, Death Stranding and possibly Star Wars Jedi based on what I've seen.

i didn't say that, don't put words in my mouth
Your first comment reads as casting personal doubt on the credibility of the awards should Death Stranding win, then the follow up was that it winning might raise some eyebrows, which is something that is going to happen with the fanbases of other games regardless of which game wins. Not sure how any of this matters, because it's clear what the process of games being nominated and winning is.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
And the award will never be given again, because it's impossible to top Death Stranding. Please do it TGA.
Haha, yep.

But honestly though, it is in such an awkward place I can't imagine how this will go. Either it wins and it's really awkward because it feels like Geoff Keighly forced it to be the winner or it loses and its really awkward making Kojima sit in the audience as another game wins and Geoff feels like an asshole to his friend.

I was thinking maybe they just remove it and do an honorable mention thing for it, but then THAT would be awkward having to remove a game because you are in it... It's a mess.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Honestly dont think Death Stranding is going to win much other than maybe best direction? Because its going to be divisive unlike RE2 that is universally loved. Starwars is getting a 85 max on metacritic which isn't enough to stand out this year, even Control isnt loved enough for it to stand out in comparison. DMC 5 4 lyfe.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

You're definitely right by saying you don't know much about RE2. The remake is a vastly different game, so much so there were people who were upset it wasn't a straight faithful remake like the original Resident Evil remake was.

I also hope it wins GOTY, it deserves it.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People putting chips on Death Stranding? It's not even out yet and from what we've seen, I'm not sure if it will even be a contender

Kind of weird to get on people about putting DS in the GOTY conversation because it isn't out yet, only to then say it might not be a contender. Nobody really knows yet. We can only speculate.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
kinda interested in the OST awards, at least the nominations.

(if deserving), will Seiken 3 (Trials of Mana) get nominated for best OST?
Technically this is The official western release. Again, technically it's not different than a late localization.

(If deserving), Will Smash be nominated or get Xenoblade 2'd due to release date?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's always a fun show mostly for the announcements, i don't think the awards themselves are the focus. but if death stranding wins it'll be even harder to take them seriously tbh.

It hasn't even won yet, and you're already salty, completely unsurprisingly of course.