• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
It's between RE2 and Death Stranding,. The latter most likely will sweep everything, unless end up quite divisive.

I'm interested to see if a lot of people dig the insane amount of micromanagement and fetch quests in DS.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
725403548-death-stranding-geoff-keighley-cameo-Mo7p0qBct6b.jpg
Kind of obvious.

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
Unpopular opinion.

I didn't really appreciate GK being revealed in DS. It feels unethical to me. He's practically TGA.
DS is my most anticipated game of the year BTW and I want it to win and I'm not in a position to judge but there you go.

I get this concern and it's something I thought about. I don't vote on the nominees or winners, we have a separate jury handle that. I haven't played through DS, so your guess is as good as mine in terms of how it will do in the voting.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Despite its repeated absence in this thread, Modern Warfare seems a safe bet in my opinion. Most of all, when a majority of nominees will surely come from Japan. So either this or Doom are the best chances for a Western game to be in the short list (The Outer Worlds to me is a third distant option, but it's possible too).

As for the others, I suppose there'll be a Nintendo game (I wouldn't discard two), one of the sequels released by Capcom, Sekiro and Death Stranding, as long as it performs the way Kojima Productions games usually do.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I totally forgot Smash was elligible this year. Strong contender to win, in my view. Otherwise, I see RE2 taking it.

It's been another great year, but not quite as strong as the last two. Q1 next year already looks stronger than this entire year's crop of games!

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I get this concern and it's something I thought about. I don't vote on the nominees or winners, we have a separate jury handle that. I haven't played through DS, so your guess is as good as mine in terms of how it will do in the voting.

I appreciate you being forward with that, Geoff. I'm looking forward to the show.

And I know it's not meant to be a celebration of certain people in gaming, but I hope that both Reggie (for his 15 years of service to Nintendo and being perhaps your greatest adversary) and Masahiro Sakurai (for his tireless work on the Smash Bros series and truly making it one of the greatest crossovers in entertainment history) are honored in some way.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Some conspiracy posts here are embarrassing, especially when you see that they know nothing about what they are talking about.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I totally forgot Smash was elligible this year. Strong contender to win, in my view. Otherwise, I see RE2 taking it.

It's been another great year, but not quite as strong as the last two. Q1 next year already looks stronger than this entire year's crop of games!

There have been a lot of great games this year (I'm not listing them all) but there aren't a lot of standouts since a lot released this year are all good at what they do and I think that's making a lot of people go "Huh, what is going to be my GOTY?" It's been a great year, but nothing too mind-blowing thus far.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
s
Love Mick Gordon. Do you think we should try to do something DOOM related again in terms of a performance? Not a hint, just a question. We're starting to work on the music parts of the show now.
Totally, like someone said it's the 25th anniversary of DOOM too.

a really cool thing to do, not sure if it could be done due to rights and stuff, would be a Smash performance medley with music from different franchises

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also ya'll need to remember that these awards heavily skew towards western games with the exception of Zelda. RE2 is a maybe, but I really really don't think DMC5 will get nom'd for best game. Best action game though for sure.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
My predictions:

Nominees
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • Smash Bros Ultimate
  • Doom Eternal
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Death Stranding
  • Gears 5 (?)
The only actual possible winners, in that order:
  1. Smash Bros Ultimate
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Sekiro
Wild card:
  • Death Stranding
In my heart - nominees:
  • FF XIV Shadowbringers
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses (winner)
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Gears 5
  • Smash Bros Ultimate
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Also ya'll need to remember that these awards heavily skew towards western games with the exception of Zelda. RE2 is a maybe, but I really really don't think DMC5 will get nom'd for best game. Best action game though for sure.
Shadowbringers will lose to Destiny 2's Shadowkeep despite getting better reviews and being considered the best Final Fantasy-anything since FF X.
And I will be pissed.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff moneyhat for Death Stranding.

But if that game turns out to be a dud, either RE 2, Gears 5, Sekiro or Smash Bros.

Malawhur

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the possible nominees, I feel like this year is a weak one. Or perhaps they are not to my taste... How do you guys feel about it?

Jun 23, 2019

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
There have been a lot of great games this year (I'm not listing them all) but there aren't a lot of standouts since a lot released this year are all good at what they do and I think that's making a lot of people go "Huh, what is going to be my GOTY?" It's been a great year, but nothing too mind-blowing thus far.

Yeah, that's how I feel too. I've been playing a ton of games this year and having a great time, but it's hard to pick one thing that's an obvious winner.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
But if that game turns out to be a dud, either RE 2, Gears 5, Sekiro or Smash Bros.
as someone who likes Gears - I don't see Gears 5 winning anything other than "Best Xbox game" and even then, Outer Wilds will probably give it a run for its money. It is worth pointing out, it's a good game. But it's a good 8/10, so not a goty
Don't they usually nominate one indie game that has no shot to win? Like Celeste last year

Seems the indie darling for 2019 is Untitled Goose Game. Let's throw that in as a possibility
it's gonna be Outer Wilds.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The highest rated games of the year so far are Japanese which means it's going to be one of those years where western game journalists vote for something out of left field like an indie game or walking sim.

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I hope Kingdom Hearts 3 wins some awards. I really enjoyed it.
same, but it can only win Action, RPG or Soundtrack
  1. Best Action game - but it's against Devil May Cry 5 and Sekiro.
  2. Or it could be in Best RPG - but it's against Fire Emblem Three Houses.
  3. Maybe it could win Best Soundtrack? I don't see strong contenders (or any outstanding soundtrack at all) other than Doom and it's Shimomura, so she's got this. Unless a random something happens, I don't see her fairly losing

Jun 23, 2019
same, but it can only win Best Action game - but it's against Devil May Cry 5 and Sekiro.
Or it could be in Best RPG - but it's against Fire Emblem Three Houses.
Maybe it could win Best Soundtrack? I don't see strong contenders other than Doom in that category and it's Shimomura, she's got this

Yeah, I expect it to win Best Soundtrack personally.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
it's always a fun show mostly for the announcements, i don't think the awards themselves are the focus. but if death stranding wins it'll be even harder to take them seriously tbh.

Yes because there is no way Death Stranding can be a game worthy of an award. It must be a conspiracy. Never mind that the actual awards are voted on by multiple critics and the general gaming audience.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I like how people are already deciding that if Death Stranding wins it is rigged. You would only have a point if it gets subpar reviews and doesn't win any GOTY awards elsewhere.

But if it reviews well and wins a bunch of GOTY awards from other places, how can you say that it is definitely rigged?

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Death Stranding
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
One of Astral Chain, Devil May Cry V or Doom Eternal if eligible

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Doom eternal is probably too late to make to male the cut, by like a week.
And that sucks.
there's a chance Bethesda/iD could supply review copies before the cut off but i'd wait for confirmation either way from Geoff
s
Love Mick Gordon. Do you think we should try to do something DOOM related again in terms of a performance? Not a hint, just a question. We're starting to work on the music parts of the show now.
yeah another performance by Mick would be cool. music performances from the last couple years have been great too.