• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Guaranteed nominees:
RE2
Sekiro
DMCV
Death Stranding

Potential nominees:
Gears 5
Fire Emblem TH
Jedi Fallen Order
Doom Eternal

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I just hope Shadowbringers/FFXIV get nominated for best ongoing, or hell ANYTHING. Would hate to see it slept on because it's an MMO expansion.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see someone in full Edelgard cosplay get up and accept the award for three houses

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Devil May Cry 5
Death Stranding
The Outer Wilds
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

I can pretty much guarantee you that Smash nor any other Switch game will be nominated. Smash will likely be nominated for best fighting game, and lose to Mortal Kombat 11. FE: Three Houses will be nominated for best RPG, and lose to Kingdom Hearts III. Astral Chain will be nominated for best action game, and lose to Sekiro.

you don't think smash would be nominated?

It's, for all intents and purposes a heavily-upgraded port of the Wii U game. Plus typically GOTY nominees are given to games that evolve or change the medium in some way. Smash Ultimate is Malibu Stacy with a new hat.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Wait! Can you vote for Ori this year since it has released on Switch? That would be awesome!
I know Gears 5 can't win but maybe Ori could win this year and finally receive the recognition it deserves.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Unpopular opinion.

I didn't really appreciate GK being revealed in DS. It feels unethical to me. He's practically TGA.
DS is my most anticipated game of the year BTW and I want it to win and I'm not in a position to judge but there you go.

Sep 29, 2019
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, for sure
As much as i'd love to see FE3H, i don't think it will be nominated.
Gears 5
Sekiro
Death Stranding

To be fairly honest? I don't think RE2R will be nominated... Or maybe, if it is, it won't win. I just feel like it wouldn't.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I keep forgetting Smash came out after the cut off date lol

But yes Smash should get nominated

I just don't think it will. While Sakurai deserves praise for his tireless work and being able to jam so much content into the game (with more to come), it doesn't change or evolve Smash Bros. in any way. It's still Smash Bros. It's still a fun game series and I love it, but even I can admit it likely wouldn't get as much attention as it does if not for the incessant debate about the roster. In fact, I daresay it has reached a point where the announcements of who is appearing in the game has dwarfed the game itself.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think the nominees will be (assuming there's 6 games like last year):

sekiro
death stranding
smash ultimate
residen evil 2
gears 5
one indie game (like celeste was last year)

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem will sweep the GOTYs in every category because EA has blackmail "what you do in the Sims" on every voter

Oct 25, 2017
Any predictions for GOTY this year at The Game Awards? Why TGA... because Fuck Da Oscars, that's why!

Anyhow, my predictions for the six nominees (In no particular order):

1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (It missed last years cut-off so is considered part of this year)

2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

3. Gears 5

4. The Outer Worlds

5. Death Stranding

6. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

My guess is that Outer Worlds or Death Stranding will win. My hope is that Three Houses wins (unless I like Outer Worlds more. Can't comment on DS, don't have a PS4).
if death stranding wins, it'll be purely because of nepotism.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
i think the nominees will be (assuming there's 6 games like last year):

sekiro
death stranding
smash ultimate
residen evil 2
gears 5
one indie game (like celeste was last year)

Yeah this is what I think asuming Death Stranding is good enough. If they don't consider giving it to Smash then RE2 will win for sure unless, again, Death Stranding is as good as everyone hopes.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Don't they usually nominate one indie game that has no shot to win? Like Celeste last year

Seems the indie darling for 2019 is Untitled Goose Game. Let's throw that in as a possibility

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion.

I didn't really appreciate GK being revealed in DS. It feels unethical to me. He's practically TGA.
DS is my most anticipated game of the year BTW and I want it to win and I'm not in a position to judge but there you go.
He's not. He's literally just the host.
He doesn't decide the nominees and winners at all

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't they usually nominate one indie game that has no shot to win? Like Celeste last year

Seems the indie darling for 2019 is Untitled Goose Game. Let's throw that in as a possibility
the reviews for untitled goose game aren't that high. i think the indie slot will be filled by either outer wilds or slay the spire.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So far Death Stranding is the most interesting game coming up. But untill i play it cant say if it will be GOTY or not. I do hope so, for trying to do something new.

Actually so far this year thers no very strong GOTY contenters, thers alot of good games that can win but nothing really stands out to me.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have 200 hours on FE3H, and it's a great game but too unpolished in many fronts to be GOTY. It's actually elevated a lot for having the best cast of characters in a FE game and amazing VA work and OST.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
You folks do realise that Geoff posts on here? And by saying the show will be rigged or his favorite creator will win the awards, it's questioning the integrity of not only him, but all the people involved in production of this game?

Give your head a wobble!

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
DMC5 is def getting nominated for a Geoff Keighley award.

Will it win ?

Boy i hope so.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty weak year honestly.... I might guess Control or Sekiro as dark horses. I really hope DOOM Eternal is as good as it looks and is a contender.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
From what was released so far I strongly suspect:

Mario Maker 2
Apex Legends
Control
Outer Wilds
Smash Brothers Ultimate (I'm pretty sure this was past the cut off time for last year's awards)

From what hasn't been released yet these have potential:

Outer Worlds
Death Stranding
Doom 2

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be Death Stranding against RE2 (maybe outer worlds if it's REALLY good).
The only game that is worthy of being there and will definitely won't be there is outer wilds.
we all know it's gonna be rigged this year c'mon
You think Geoff is just gonna fake votes to make Death Stranding win?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

I feel like that game is getting more press ironically than for it being actually good.

There really hasn't been a standout must-play indie game this year that has everyone talking. MAYBE The Outer Wilds, and man is it going to be confusing if both it and The Outer Worlds get nominated.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
so according to this thread, death stranding cannot win because otherwise the show is rigged, and actually they should purposefully disqualify death stranding, despite the fact Geoff doesnt vote on the winner.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Locks:

•Resident Evil 2: Fantastic game and still the best reviewed game of the year. Only thing going against it is being a remake (pretty telling that this is THE negative)
•Sekiro: New IP? Check. Made by critical darling From? Check. Best reviewed game next to RE2? Check. Only thing going against it is Activision I guess.
• Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Members of the press who love this game really, really LOOOVE this game. They could push it to the top. Only thing going against it is its genre and being too anime for some.

Waiting in line:

•Gears 5: Good reviews and a return to form could push this as a fifth slot choice. Going against it: 85 metacritic score guarantees that it will crawl to get in. Also, it's an Xbox exclusive, and those hardly get anything.

• Outer Wilds: Just like FE:TH, people who love this game go bananas about it. Going against it: small indie title that is not universally loved as some other indie darlings like Celeste.

• Devil May Cry V: Great reviews could push it on the lower end of the list. Going against it: I'm not feeling it for some reason. DMC has never been GOTY material to the mainstream.

Waiting to be seeing:

• The Outer Worlds: This could be either fantastic or just okay. While it looks fantastic for my personal tastes, there's some jankiness that the press may not forgive like they did with PUBG (novelty or not)

• Death Stranding: this is a lock, come the fuck on. It could score an 85 or a 95 and it's gonna get in anyways. Kojima's comeback, Sony exclusive, a cast that only a starfucker could come up with, the list of pros are huge. It doesn't hurt that Kojima's buddy Geoff runs this entire circus.

• Pokemon Sword and Shield: if this scores above 90, it's totally getting in. Pokemon has never been GOTY material for the press but it could get in if the innovations and praise are too much to ignore.

• DOOM Eternal: all it needs to do to get in is to be as good as the original. If it does, it's in. Also, a lot of people believe the original was robbed, so there's that.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
the reviews for untitled goose game aren't that high. i think the indie slot will be filled by either outer wilds or slay the spire.
I feel like that game is getting more press ironically than for it being actually good.

There really hasn't been a standout must-play indie game this year that has everyone talking. MAYBE The Outer Wilds, and man is it going to be confusing if both it and The Outer Worlds get nominated.

Ah ok, I haven't been following the reviews, I just have seen a bunch of people playing it so assumed it was good.