• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The GOTY 2020 is?

• Animal Crossing

Votes: 800 20.4%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 519 13.2%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 364 9.3%
  • Doom Eternal

Votes: 160 4.1%
  • The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 1,427 36.3%
  • Hades

Votes: 657 16.7%

• Total voters

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
TLoU2's writing was shockingly basic, like taking a Netflix show that only has content worth 1-3 episodes but got stretched out over 13 episode season.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And Persona 5 came out it 2017
Persona 5 Royal adds way more to the original game than Xenoblade: DE, which is a fairly lackluster remaster all around. Add on the fact that Xenoblade is a much more niche cult classic compared to Persona 5 and it really didn't stand a chance

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's depressing for me to know that TLOU2 has this in the bag. From the viewpoint of just looking at it as a game it would be the worst choice of all of them.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks spectacular and had some great moments, but from all the nominees on the list it's the only one that had me actively bored and wanting me for it to end. I don't know that the fuck Neil's issue is with pacing a video game (considering U4 suffered greatly from the exact same problem), but it seems to work out for him and many others. Graphics and a better than average narrative are what can get you easy wins. The Last of Us 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, mind you, and that one didn't have nearly as much issues for me compared to the sequel.

If I had to choose an order it would be FF7 Remake >>>>> Ghost of Tsushima > DOOM Eternal > TLOU2 > Animal Crossing. They just work much better for me when it comes to gameplay compared to TLOU2. FF7R actually made me cry tears of joy for giving me the feeling of an adventure that I rarely get out of games nowadays. The last time before that was either God of War 2018 or BOTW.

Also, no Ori in GOTY is disappointing. That game was seriously kick-ass.
The game is more than just its graphics.

NPTinker

May 2, 2020
Animal Crossing or Hades should win this, everything else is boring pick
Era meltdown will be fun to watch for sure

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To those saying Animal Crossing has been a representation for 2020, I agree.
It's been so draining, a slog and a chore.

Makr

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Persona 5 Royal adds way more to the original game than Xenoblade: DE, which is a fairly lackluster remaster all around. Add on the fact that Xenoblade is a much more niche cult classic compared to Persona 5 and it really didn't stand a chance
You really did just miss out on the updated graphics (not just resolution) updated soundtrack, and an additional epilogue? Regardless, it still should have been included in the conversation.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I don't think there are any bad picks for goty. I've only played Hades and FF7R, but I've heard a lot of love for all the other games too. Seems like we had a lot of great games this year by the looks of it.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The game is more than just its graphics.
I also pointed out the narrative. And that some moments were genuinely great, but the fact that it was such an utter slog for me to finish after its initial luster wore off frankly disqualifies it for me when it comes to GOTY. It bored me to death at some points, while it really picked up in some moments. There just was so much between the high points that could've been cut. TLOU1 on average is 10-15 hours long and in that timeframe tells a phenomenal story while not overstaying its welcome. Part II feels like a game that arbitrarily had to be 30+ hours, because who would buy a short game for 70 bucks nowadays? :P

Don't let yourself down. You guys made a phenomenal game, which - at least in my opinion - was one of the best of the gen. It was awesome :)

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
It probably won't win, but FF7 is definitely my GotY. It's art style has also made it the most visually impressive to me. It was a spectacle for sure. My only issues were that it was too easy and it's only 1/3rd of the story.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
As much as I enjoyed Doom, I never really thought of it as a GOTY contender. Looking at the poll, I'm clearly not the only one. I would have put Half-Life Alyx in the mix instead.

All the others games are very strong contenders though.

Even though it's not my personal favourite on the list, I think Animal Crossing deserves to win, considering the impact it's had on so many people over the whole covid lockdown situation.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You really did just miss out on the updated graphics (not just resolution) updated soundtrack, and an additional epilogue? Regardless, it still should have been included in the conversation.
No, I played it and enjoyed it, but it just wasn't a particularly impressive remaster, which was basically admitted by Takahashi himself talking about its limited budget. Persona 5 Royal is the better remaster/expansion/whatever you want to call it and it was no doubt played by a lot more of the people who contribute to TGA. Given that there are only 6 games per category it was always going to be a real longshot

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I also pointed out the narrative. And that some moments were genuinely great, but the fact that it was such an utter slog for me to finish after its initial luster wore off frankly disqualifies it for me when it comes to GOTY. It bored me to death at some points, while it really picked up in some moments. There just was so much between the high points that could've been cut. TLOU1 on average is 10-15 hours long and in that timeframe tells a phenomenal story while not overstaying its welcome. Part II feels like a game that arbitrarily had to be 30+ hours, because who would buy a short game for 70 bucks nowadays? :P
That's fair then. Personally I never once got bored because even the gameplay itself was always great, but I know that style can be too slow for some people.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Ori really got robbed from a GOTY slot, huh? Ori is game of the year in my heart. 😭

FF7R the runner up for me, so I'll vote for that, even though it won't win.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It probably won't win, but FF7 is definitely my GotY. It's art style has also made it the most visually impressive to me. It was a spectacle for sure. My only issues were that it was too easy and it's only 1/3rd of the story.

It did something i didn't think was possible, combined ATB and action combat and made it work. Nomura over here making the Reece's Pieces of combat systems.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Ghost of Tsushima made that list and Ori 2 didn't? What a fucking travesty, and I say that as someone who by and large LIKED GoT.

So dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyway: a lot are going on about animal crossing's impact and that is why it should get goty, but my question is if it's mainly about its impact, than why is it not nominated in games for impact category? It literally states that the category is for quote "for a thought-provoking game with a prosocial meaning or message." That's animal crossing to a damn tee! like that makes way more sense than being name the best game of the year when your speaking only on impact.

Nov 21, 2017
Also I'm surprised Doom got the GOTY nomination over Ori and Half Life. I'm assuming Demon's Souls was also ineligible due to its release date.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Not a bad selection, although Genshin Impact should had made it to the music selection. :/ What a fantastic soundtrack that is going to hopefully keep being wonderful as new regions gets added.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyway: a lot are going on about animal crossing's impact and that is why it should get goty, but my question is if it's mainly about its impact, than why is it not nominated in games for impact category? It literally states that the category is for quote "for a thought-provoking game with a prosocial meaning or message." That's animal crossing to a damn tee! like that makes way more sense than being name the best game of the year when your speaking only on impact.
Because the game itself isn't and wasn't designed to be that. It is just because the timing. It's not like those indie games that are made specifically for stories to really emotionally affect people.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every game that's nominated for any award can be considered a game that had some form of impact. TGA's Games for Impact has always been a glorified name for "best arthouse style indie game". It's always been one of the more weirder and esoteric titles for an award, imo.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Its been said here over and over... but HL:A not getting a nom for GotY is insane.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018

Up there as the second best rated game of the year (93!), and you guys did some absolute wizardy on the Switch and XSX (I bought it on the former, your team should be very proud). Thanks again for such an incredible game, just one guy (and let me tell you, I have absolutely no pull in the gaming scene) but I'm incredibly grateful for Ori. :)

Plum

May 31, 2018

The games for impact category is for games made with some form of societally impactful message. Animal Crossing did have a lot of impact this year but it was primarily consequential due to something Nintendo could have never predicted, not due to the game itself.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Oh nice, I have all of these.

Last of Us 2 is on another level tbh. Kinda unfair to the rest of those games (which are great).

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's a fully legit concern if true. Did Valve not send out Indexes and/or review copies?
Valve both gave out Indexes to various reviewers and copies of HL: Alyx. I wasn't given an Index but I was given Alyx.

This guy's excuse falls even more flat when he paints like you need to spend $1,000 just to get into VR. I got into VR years prior for a couple hundred via the original consumer version of the Oculus Rift. You do not need an Index to play Alyx. I run a gaming site as well and was able to "buy in" to the VR experience on the cheap. What a pathetic excuse from him.