• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The GOTY 2020 is?

• Animal Crossing

Votes: 800 20.4%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 519 13.2%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 364 9.3%
  • Doom Eternal

Votes: 160 4.1%
  • The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 1,427 36.3%
  • Hades

Votes: 657 16.7%

• Total voters

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ghost being there and not Ori is more or less proof that this industry is fixated on a certain type of game. And Likely has a lot of growing up to do if the VGAs ever want to be muttered in the same breath as the Oscars

You really mentioned the Oscars in a Game Awards thread. You're just asking for it. I'm tempted to do it myself.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Just noticed Animal Crossing actually isn't nominated for Game Direction which is basically the 2nd biggest award.

Could be telling of its chances for winning GOTY.

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 3 should have been nominated if they were gonna include unfinished games

8ae5433e559d2cf94dd0131a2936d874.gif
You know the best writings from Kafka are unfinished.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Best Ongoing Game:
Apex Legends
Destiny 2
Call of Duty Warzone
Fortnite
No Man's Sky

Is there a reason why FFXIV can't be nominated for this? Seems to always get snubbed.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Care to elaborate? I see nothing but diversity with their nominations, especially since they expanded the number
The Oscars have absolutely improved when it comes to expanding scope in nominations - but there's literally an entire subgenre of 'Oscar bait' where actors take on heavily melodramatic, 'transformative' roles for the sake of winning a Best Actor/Actress trophy. You very rarely see outstanding comedy performances get any attention. Animation was pigeonholed to its' own category because voters were embarrassed about Beauty and the Beast getting a Best Picture nomination. Until last year, it seemed impossible for anything not in the English language to take the top prize.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only category I feel passionately about is "Best Music." If FF7 doesn't win that, I riot. What a wonderful achievement.

Really wish Persona 5 Royal was a nominee in that category as well. The new tracks that were added were incredible.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
It's an unfair advantage, but PSO2 getting 8 years of content crammed into 6 months means it is by far the most supported on going game, but it didn't even get a nomination.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Best Ongoing Game:
Apex Legends
Destiny 2
Call of Duty Warzone
Fortnite
No Man's Sky

Is there a reason why FFXIV can't be nominated for this? Seems to always get snubbed.

It was up for ongoing last year with ShB release, but lost then. Sad because ShB is probably retroactively my GOTY for 2019 (played it this year).

It's a damn shame that it didn't even get a nom this time after how awesome the last story patches have been though.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Aaaaand no mom's for flight sim.

So dumb how certain genres are basically exempt from end of the year awards.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 is very easily my GOTY, but I wouldn't be upset at any of the nominees winning.

I still haven't tried Hades because the "rougue-like" moniker really turns me off. I did really like Bastion (from the same devs) back in the day though, and the art style is nice. Idk, I might give it a shot eventually, but I'd prefer to wait for sales in case I really don't like it.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If cultural impact and a game which brought people together in tough times is a criteria then give it a too a game which is free to play and available on all platform

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking in the context of specific character and story based games. TLOU2 is going to be a big deal in a genre that is very abundant right now. As seen already with that capcom leak.
When discussing GOTY nominations, the achievements of games that aren't story-based are just as important as those that are. And New Horizons appeals to a broad, diverse audience in a friendly, serene manner where the most drama you might experience is getting bamboozled by Redd's art forgeries.

The Oscars have absolutely improved when it comes to expanding scope in nominations - but there's literally an entire subgenre of 'Oscar bait' where actors take on heavily melodramatic, 'transformative' roles for the sake of winning a Best Actor/Actress trophy. You very rarely see outstanding comedy performances get any attention. Animation was pigeonholed to its' own category because voters were embarrassed about Beauty and the Beast getting a Best Picture nomination. Until last year, it seemed impossible for anything not in the English language to take the top prize.
Yep. Not to mention that studios tend to stack their quote-unquote Oscar contenders for release in the fall and winter, just as nominations are being considered. Some studios even go so far as to publish advertisements essentially begging critics to nominate their film. Harvey Weinstein in particular was notorious for that.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
First time I disagree with the nominations.

Half life alyx should of been up there for best game instead of hades.

Xenoblade blade should up been nominated for rpg.

Paper mario should of been also nominated for music too.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Being forced to do terrible things is actually bad.

I have zero interest in seeing "both sides" of a conflict between horrible, monstrous people. Especially not this year. And especially not for 30 or 40 hours, because a dude who wants to be a movie director got stuck making games instead.
Good to see that we still haven't moved past the way we discuss videogames beyond the year 2013.

I truly hope we get to see some ludonarrative dissonace take in this thread as well lol

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Since TLOU2 will sweep various awards anyway, It'd be neat if they give narrative to either Hades or 13 Sentinels (going off impressions, I may be wrong for how this game approaches storytelling in a unique way) for utilising the medium to shake up how narrative is presented and progressed.

Hades constant drip feed of plot, character development and such, all structured around the rougelite loop was inspired and I'd hope to see more games approach plot in ways that aren't the usual cutscene formula.

Paper mario should of been also nominated for music too.

I knew it wouldn't be, but it should've been!

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Wow at people not thinking Animal Crossing is a serious contender. Cultural impact or not you have to think about who will be voting on these games. Yeah AC has tons of questionable things in it but i think it provided so much for devs/voters in these times.

To be clear, TLOU2 has some interesting and unconventional story beats, yes. But it is told in such a conventional way, which is not how I think a video game narrative should be judged. Your last point, for example, is something that have been done in so many other games.

But in the end, I am just trying to rationalize to myself why I left the game underwhelmed.

I suppose I weigh originality too much, then. But looking at another medium, the books that are often classics are the ones that have a completely fresh take on the medium e.g. Ulysses by James Joyce.

In any case, I left the game underwhelmed, and this is how I rationalize it. I am not trying to downplay the game, just giving my experience with it.

Atleast you are being honest about it compared to some of the other posts here.

People reducing TLOU2 to a generic TPS or a game about killing are just exposing their asses.lol

Jul 25, 2020
The Last of Us Part 2 was a huge disappointment for me. On the flip side Ghost of Tsushima was hands down the best game I played this year but Nioh 2 was also very good.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yep. Not to mention that studios tend to stack their quote-unquote Oscar contenders for release in the fall and winter, just as nominations are being considered. Some studios even go so far as to publish advertisements essentially begging critics to nominate their film. Harvey Weinstein in particular was notorious for that.
Oh yeah, FYC campaigns (For Your Consideration) are a standard in the industry. To the point where studios are often contractually obligated to run them for a movie, regardless of its' actual odds of nomination.

Transformers4-FYC.jpg

It's something I think we'll start to see more in games, especially if the perceived importantance of the TGAs continues to grow. There's probably room for a small publisher to spend the money on a hypertageted campaign at voters to get a game recognized.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, The Last of Us Part II is the most impressive game this year. Everything in that game was downright mind-blowing.

But you can't deny the impact of Animal Crossing. On top of being an incredible game, it's the game that best represents this year. It was and still is a movement, its popularity spread like wildfire and helped millions of people to cope with staying at home. It's a game that allowed people to scape to their islands, and collect, and craft and build and share it with their friends and forget a bit of the real world.

To me, that's the GOTY 2020.

Fuck Tom Nook.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Seems to be a tradition at this point for a Nintendo game to be snub for best OST. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 got snub and so did Smash Brother Ultimate last year.
Wait, XBC2 never got an OST nom? Like, I've never been a fan of the game because I can't get past the awful character designs and the resolution bugs me . . . but that OST slaps like hell.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really feel like Doom Eternal deserves to be in the GOTY category. It felt like more of the same to me, which I know many will probably disagree with. I'd rather have Ori or Half-Life Alyx in that spot.

Oct 26, 2017
I play alot of games....
Ori was by far the best game I played this year. ):
Not too mad regarding half life alyx, its a great game - but idk bad timing with 2020

But yall sleeping on 13 sentinels, perhaps you werent ready for it but when 13 sentinels: Tomato edition comes out with platinum combat, you're gonna be like shit how I miss this

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hades will win in my heart

it'd be really nice to see ACNH take it, but we all know which one of these games is going to sweep

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 is the boring pick (because the game is boring), but also most likely. Animal Crossing and Hades are outsider picks; could happen, in Animal Crossing's case because "it has been the best and most important game for people in this pandemic" and Hades because it's just that damn good. But I still think TLOU2 will win, it's extremely well-made on the surface and with great production values.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
AC: Not my thing
DOOM Eternal: Absolutely 🔥
FFVII Remake: okay
Ghost of Tsushima: Had fun with it
Hades: Haven't played it, probably 🔥
TLOUII: Absolutely 🔥

Personally a tossup between Demon's Souls and P5R for my goty, leaning Demon's.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 is above and beyond everything else on that list, but I feel AC will win based on some coronavirus lock down votes.