• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The GOTY 2020 is?

• Animal Crossing

Votes: 800 20.4%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 519 13.2%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 364 9.3%
  • Doom Eternal

Votes: 160 4.1%
  • The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 1,427 36.3%
  • Hades

Votes: 657 16.7%

• Total voters

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Only surprise for me is Doom. Eternal is great, didn't expect it to get nominated over Alyx or Ori.

Animal Crossing will win.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Doom Eternal would be my choice for GOTY. It's the best single player FPS I've ever played.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
FFVII would take basically every category it's nominated in for me.

But realistically, I hope it wins best score. The music was so much better than anything else this year by a long shot.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Animal Crossing will win

iNnu2hb.gif

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a popularity contest. Alyx would have a chance if vr stuff wasn't so expensive. The other 3 are just niche, no matter how good they are.
Sadly you're right, but it shouldn't be. The Academy awards do a good job of nominating and promoting lesser known films instead of just going with the most popular. I wish the game industry was more mature.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Every game released this year helped people doing quarantines, this narrative that only AC did is annoying.
It's more that the interconnective nature of the game helped people who were experiencing social isolation during COVID. People held birthday parties, holiday gatherings, and other events in game with family and friends during a time when they couldn't (and still can't) have them in person. And for people with a lot of time and no structure due to stay at home orders, the daily tasks helped people bring some routine back into their lives. So while other games like TLOUII or Hades certainly provided escapism in the same way any game might, I do think ACNH should get some credit for just how much of a great game it is for the moment we are in.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
FF7 Remake for me, that game was everything I wanted it to be.

ACNH Dropped off so hard for my friends and I, I haven't touched it since April.
Ghosts of Tsushima felt like the Arkham games with their stale combat.
DOOM Eternal was an OK platformer, and not a great game
The Last of Us 2 was meh, I dunno, it didn't do it for me.
Hades is a contender for sure, it's fantastic.

Jul 26, 2018
It might help if you read the nomination properly. It is not "best streamer."

This feels needlessly toxic. What is your issue?
I absolutely love her. But ehhhhhh.. I just don't feel her being nominated in the list at all. Just not feeling it overall. Also, content creator is basically streamers. These nominations are all streamers too (not sure about Jay). Overall, I think Valkyrie deserves this due to her blowing up with insane amount of views for the past few months.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Just scrolling through the thread there's actually quite a few games that should be nominated but simply aren't because they aren't typically thought of as GOTY material. It's kind of sad in a way, Half Life Alyx, Ori 2, Yakuza LAD, Tony Hawk 1+2, Fall Guys, Among Us, 13 Sentinels and so many more are certainly going to top a lot of people's GOTY lists so to see them omitted so easily just feels...wrong? Not to say the ones nominated aren't deserving I just think this year was exceptionally good inside and outside of the AAA space.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
We have to keep in mind that The Game Awards are the same as the Oscars, for better and for worse. They represent a very concrete, specific and limited vision of the medium.

And some "token nominees".

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I thought nothing could dethrone FFVII for me this year after I played it, and then TLOU2 came out. What a goddamn game. Far and away my winner.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's more that the interconnective nature of the game helped people who were experiencing social isolation during COVID. People held birthday parties, holiday gatherings, and other events in game with family and friends during a time when they couldn't (and still can't) have them in person. And for people with a lot of time and no structure due to stay at home orders, the daily tasks helped people bring some routine back into their lives. So while other games like TLOUII or Hades certainly provided escapism in the same way any game might, I do think ACNH should get some credit for just how much of a great game it is for the moment we are in.
We did the same thing with Zoom calls for birthday hangouts, playing games like Jackbox, hosting digital trivia, etc.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Animal crossing is by far the most important game of the year. It basically kept people sane for the first few months of Covid

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sadly you're right, but it shouldn't be. The Academy awards do a good job of nominating and promoting lesser known films instead of just going with the most popular. I wish the game industry was more mature.
They promote 'lesser known films' when the studios behind them fund enormous 'For Your Consideration' ad campaigns. If a TGA GOTY started carrying the same weight as a Best Picture Oscar (ie, an entire corner of the industry is pathologically obsessed with winning one) - you'd start seeing the same effects.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Is voting actually live? I did the search clicked the link went to desktop browser mode and I'm not seeing it.

Edit: nm I found it was expecting it to be the same as last year, done in the search page.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
With Sekiro winning last year I hold a glimmer of hope for Hades and Doom Eternal, but I fear the cinematic blockbusters will bag this easily.

(
😨
awards
😨
are
😨
super
😨
important
😨
)

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
So why is Demon's Souls totally absent, but AC Valhalla is nominated for action adventure? I don't quite understand what the eligibility criteria is
I'm not sure it'd get nominated anyways. It's a remake. The gameplay is basically unchanged. Not sure slapping better graphics (and worse art) on an old game gets you nominated in many categories.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
We have to keep in mind that The Game Awards are the same as the Oscars, for better and for worse. They represent a very concrete, specific and limited vision of the medium.

And some "token nominees".
To be the fair, the oscars does much better with nominees most of the times then TGA.

but it's also easier to consume film then A video game. So it's not always compareable

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the team behind Fall Guys huge? Surprised to see it in the indie section.
No, according to the devs their team peaked at 30 during development, though that has probably changed since the game blew up

venturebeat.com

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout — How Mediatonic crafted a cute battle royale

FalFall Guys: Ultimate Knockout is a cute battle royale game where 60 players square off against each other in a match that only one can win.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Animal Crossing will win GOTY just like every other time a massive game that comes out and takes over everything like Pokemon Go, PUBG, Fortnite, Wii Sports.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
My personal goty is Streets of Rage 4 followed by MS Flight Simulator 2020 as close second.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
FFVII would take basically every category it's nominated in for me.

But realistically, I hope it wins best score. The music was so much better than anything else this year by a long shot.

If FF7R was a new game, it would win the best score for me. But it is in a weird position (in my mind) simply because some of my favorite songs from the original were worse is FF7R.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
I'd 100% consider last of us the stronger narrative personally.

The real travesty is that 13 sentinels didn't get a nom for art direction. It's such a gorgeous game that it weirds me out it's not there.
Perhaps if you only take the plot outline in written form. (But wouldn't agree here either.)
But for me the important part is how the narrative is presented a game. In 13 Sentinels, the story is presented as a mindbending multi-protagonist layered flowchart with no set order. One of the most innovative presentations I've seen.
TLOUII is usual, stale Naughty Dog schlock. I don't really blame Naughty Dog that they don't have the flexibility to try something new to the scale that a smaller studio like Vanillaware could.

I agree with the second point, though.